• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If you were going to use the term "envision" then I would think "envisions victory" would sound best.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Juju's buggy crashes into battle
fixed it for you :troll:

And um. If I can say my piece on the whole thing of people saying "Shulk deconfirmed! Monolith Soft isn't in the credits!" Aside from Monolith being a fully 1st-party subsidiary of Nintendo, I'm thinking they also won't show the companies behind a character until said character is revealed (which the same can be said for Ness and Lucas if the latter is also in (Creatures Inc) and on a very off chance, Snake (Konami).)

*EDIT* Although now that I look at the site, Creatures Inc. is credited there. Must be due to the Mr. Saturn item at the very least? Basically, nothing Monolith-related has been confirmed yet.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I don't know much about Shulk, it would be one of those play them for the first time learning about them in Super Smash Bros sort of thing.

Here's where I truly stand regarding new characters I think are possible at this point.

Ridley: I'm convinced all this teasing is not false hype, he's in and I believe that.

Isaac: I hope to see him, but if not then whatever, I have better things to do than worry about Golden Sun all time especially if Isaac is going to be such a loser not becoming playable, if he's in then great, if not then I'm done with the Golden Sun series, it will lose a die hard fan just by not having Isaac playable in this game.

Shulk: I want him in, I hope he's in, if he is the well its a new experience for me, it'll be just like experiencing Marth and Roy for the first time, that's what I think experiencing Shulk will be, like I said I don't play Xenoblade, so this is a new experience character for me, which I'm open to.

Ghirahim: I think along with Ganondorf's return we're getting Ghirahim as a new character, something tells me this will happen and that they are actually the next reveals.

Of course somethings got to give on my list of likely newcomers, if those trophy quizs are hinting characters, then we definitely got Ghirahim and Ridley, but then we're back to the whole Isaac vs Shulk in and I'm going to be completely honest, I don't care which one gets in, meaning if Shulk's in, then great and as for Isaac, I couldn't care less, unless for some reason Zelda doesn't get any new characters, then I think it would be Ridley, Isaac and Shulk added.

At this point I am thinking maybe Shulk will be in over Isaac, and that would lead to me turning my back on the Golden Sun series, I'm tired of wasting my breathe on it tbh.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
fixed it for you :troll:

And um. If I can say my piece on the whole thing of people saying "Shulk deconfirmed! Monolith Soft isn't in the credits!" Aside from Monolith being a fully 1st-party subsidiary of Nintendo, I'm thinking they also won't show the companies behind a character until said character is revealed (which the same can be said for Ness and Lucas if the latter is also in (Creatures Inc) and on a very off chance, Snake (Konami).)

*EDIT* Although now that I look at the site, Creatures Inc. is credited there. Must be due to the Mr. Saturn item at the very least? Basically, nothing Monolith-related has been confirmed yet.
Isn't Creatures Inc Pokémon?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't Creatures Inc Pokémon?
If I'm not mistaken APE (studio for EarthBound/Mother 2) is now merged into Creatures Inc. And didn't HAL also work on Mother 3?

Game Freak is also behind Pokemon iirc.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If I'm not mistaken APE (studio for EarthBound/Mother 2) is now merged into Creatures Inc. And didn't HAL also work on Mother 3?

You're right. However, Shigesato Itoi isn't credited yet.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't know much about Shulk, it would be one of those play them for the first time learning about them in Super Smash Bros sort of thing.

Here's where I truly stand regarding new characters I think are possible at this point.

Ridley: I'm convinced all this teasing is not false hype, he's in and I believe that.

Isaac: I hope to see him, but if not then whatever, I have better things to do than worry about Golden Sun all time especially if Isaac is going to be such a loser not becoming playable, if he's in then great, if not then I'm done with the Golden Sun series, it will lose a die hard fan just by not having Isaac playable in this game.

Shulk: I want him in, I hope he's in, if he is the well its a new experience for me, it'll be just like experiencing Marth and Roy for the first time, that's what I think experiencing Shulk will be, like I said I don't play Xenoblade, so this is a new experience character for me, which I'm open to.

Ghirahim: I think along with Ganondorf's return we're getting Ghirahim as a new character, something tells me this will happen and that they are actually the next reveals.

Of course somethings got to give on my list of likely newcomers, if those trophy quizs are hinting characters, then we definitely got Ghirahim and Ridley, but then we're back to the whole Isaac vs Shulk in and I'm going to be completely honest, I don't care which one gets in, meaning if Shulk's in, then great and as for Isaac, I couldn't care less, unless for some reason Zelda doesn't get any new characters, then I think it would be Ridley, Isaac and Shulk added.

At this point I am thinking maybe Shulk will be in over Isaac, and that would lead to me turning my back on the Golden Sun series, I'm tired of wasting my breathe on it tbh.
I like your newcomer pics and you're a reasonable enough poster and you are most definitely entitled to your opinions, but we've heard it all when it comes to Shulk and have already made up our minds about what we think his chances are.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

I mean the reason Creature's Inc is credited is because of Pokemon.

You can see it's there along with Nintendo and GameFreak

The best way to understand why Shulk truly deserves a place in Smash is to play Xenoblade Chronicles

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean the reason Creature's Inc is credited is because of Pokemon.

You can see it's there along with Nintendo and GameFreak
I know, I was just also mentioning the the fact that APE merged into Creatures Inc I think shortly before Mother 3 was released.

Also, as @ Solfiner Solfiner said, Shigesato Itoi wasn't credited yet, he probably will be when Ness/Lucas are revealed.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, no worries, they're going to add APE Inc. & Shigesato Itoi in the credits once they reveal Ness/Lucas. They did in Brawl even though APE Inc. was merged into Creatures Inc. at that point too. So the credits at the moment aren't an indication of anything, and anyone can be added at a later point to tie in with character reveals.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, no worries, they're going to add APE Inc. & Shigesato Itoi in the credits once they reveal Ness/Lucas. They did in Brawl even though APE Inc. was merged into Creatures Inc. at that point too. So the credits at the moment aren't an indication of anything, and anyone can be added at a later point to tie in with character reveals.
I am so glad that everyone here is reasonable about that trailer. It doesn't change a thing regarding anyones chances.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
If I were to propose an idea for a Shulk play-style, I'd make certain Monado arts be tied to neutral special and give him various stat adjustments like Xerneas and Victini do. For example, press B once and you go into Monado Shield, where Shulk takes less knock-back, but deals less knock-back. Where as, pressing B twice would activate Monado Speed where Shulk moves faster, but deals less knock-back. The Monado can change colors as a visual cue so everyone knows what Art Shulk currently has active (Shield = yellow, Speed = blue, etc.).

I only thought of this after heavily considering the newcomers that Sakurai has implemented thus far. Trying to think of a clever way to utilize gameplay elements from Xenoblade in a Smash setting lead me to this.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If I were to propose an idea for a Shulk play-style, I'd make certain Monado arts be tied to neutral special and give him various stat adjustments like Xerneas and Victini do. For example, press B once and you go into Monado Shield, where Shulk takes less knock-back, but deals less knock-back. Where as, pressing B twice would activate Monado Speed where Shulk moves faster, but deals less knock-back. The Monado can change colors as a visual cue so everyone knows what Art Shulk currently has active (Shield = yellow, Speed = blue, etc.).

I only thought of this after heavily considering the newcomers that Sakurai has implemented thus far. Trying to think of a clever way to utilize gameplay elements from Xenoblade in a Smash setting lead me to this.
Yeah, if implemented correctly stat buffs could be a really cool and vital part of Shulk's moveset. Nice work.

By the way, do you want to be added to our support list?

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

I'm more of a fan of using Monado arts for specials and customizable specials and having normal arts for Smash attacks. Whatever overflows can fit into his moveset one way or another. Most of his move are already made, ya know?

But yeah, stat boosts are going to be a major part of his play style and I can see your idea happening as well. :)

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
So does the Melia dog deserve these shades?

Back on topic, Monado arts would be great for specials, with the normal arts as Smash attacks. Slit Edge might work as a tilt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The way I see it, Monado Arts could be his B-moves while other arts like Air Slash, Slit Edge, Back Slash etc are Smash attacks/C-stick moves.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The way I see it, Monado Arts could be his B-moves while other arts like Air Slash, Slit Edge, Back Slash etc are Smash attacks/C-stick moves.
I see them making his moveset as a mixture of all the arts he can use...
But even less likely, he could go the way Palutena did.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The absolute best way to implement Shulk is with a talent gauge.

In my opinion, ofcourse.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I see them making his moveset as a mixture of all the arts he can use...
But even less likely, he could go the way Palutena did.
He has too few arts in order for that to work I would say. The palutena option that is.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
It would be interesting if he worked similar to Little Mac with a meter but when it filled a meter he summons Reyn or Dunban and they act sort of like an assist trophy

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
So the latest issue of CoroCoro is leaking out? Will they have the starting roster? Who will be on there that we don't know about? Can it be my darling Shulk? The hype is real and it's about to get really interesting.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It would be interesting if he worked similar to Little Mac with a meter but when it filled a meter he summons Reyn or Dunban and they act sort of like an assist trophy
The Talent Gauge would be that meter, and unlike a lot of the other ideas being discussed here, it is an actual mechanic from Xenoblade.

Your specials would normally just be Shulk's regular arts, but if you build up your meter you can "unleash the power of the Monado" and each of your arts is transformed into a Monado art. You would only be able to choose one to use and then your arts would revert, so there would be a lot of strategy involved in the ability.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
So the latest issue of CoroCoro is leaking out? Will they have the starting roster? Who will be on there that we don't know about? Can it be my darling Shulk? The hype is real and it's about to get really interesting.
has it already started leaking?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So basically this changes nothing. Alright then, c'mon August Shulk reveal because my heart can't take any more of this.
But Monolith wasn't credited, so Shulk disconfirmed, so it changes a lot. :troll: :salt:

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
© 2014 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / MONOLITHSOFT / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc.

Looks so cool, don't you think? ;)

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
© 2014 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc./ SHIGESATO ITIO / Ape inc./ INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / MONOLITHSOFT / SEGA / Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd/ CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc.

Looks so cool, don't you think? ;)
Fixed* Even Cooler now

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
Popping in on this thread for the first time. I've always been a supporter of Shulk in Smash 4 believing he could be a fun and unique fighter as well as introducing people to Xenoblade having no familiarity with it myself.

Well, this week I finally picked up Xenoblade Chronicles and while I've only logged a couple hours so far, I'm all in for Shulk. I'd love for the Xenoblade universe to enter Smash. Along with Shulk, the endless possibilities of stages, music, smash run enemies, etc. excites me.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
@BluePikmin11, new supporter here!

Popping in on this thread for the first time. I've always been a supporter of Shulk in Smash 4 believing he could be a fun and unique fighter as well as introducing people to Xenoblade having no familiarity with it myself.

Well, this week I finally picked up Xenoblade Chronicles and while I've only logged a couple hours so far, I'm all in for Shulk. I'd love for the Xenoblade universe to enter Smash. Along with Shulk, the endless possibilities of stages, music, smash run enemies, etc. excites me.
Welcome to the Shulk thread!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, speaking of normal Smash Run enemies, what kind of Smash Run enemies would you like to see? I'm thinking some generic Mechon, maybe some Telethia.

And was that reported sighting of a Mechon trophy at the E3 demo ever confirmed?

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Mechon would certainly be the most recognizable, I really wanna see Metal Face as a boss for Smash Run or a stage

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Hmm, speaking of normal Smash Run enemies, what kind of Smash Run enemies would you like to see? I'm thinking some generic Mechon, maybe some Telethia.

And was that reported sighting of a Mechon trophy at the E3 demo ever confirmed?
The Mechon wasn't confirmed.

As Smash Run enemies, I'd like to see different Mechon and also Xenoblade ether or sound type enemies. They could be very intersting to have as they make you think what attacks to use and how to move instead of just button-mashing and running through everything.

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet

Yeah thats what I was thinking, just some variations of Mechon. Im not too far into the game at all so I haven't seen too much of the enemy diversity.

And the Mechon with a face (sorry dont know the name) could make an awesome Smash Run boss.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
The Mechon wasn't confirmed.

As Smash Run enemies, I'd like to see different Mechon and also Xenoblade ether or sound type enemies. They could be very intersting to have as they make you think what attacks to use and how to move instead of just button-mashing and running through everything.
Maybe the ether enemies would notice you by using a special near them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom