• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Guys, let's not take things so seriously. If someone has a silly question, just respond with a silly answer.

Guys, if someone is bothering you, you can always Ignore them. That function has a purpose, you know.

Let's just get back to discussing Shulk, OK? So, how would a direction-basing (like attacking from the back is more powerful than the front) and buffing moveset would work for Shulk?
It would work. Also, Shulk will probably have an attack that'll trip the enemy (topple) and then you can try to get a read and hit them from behind.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if someone is bothering you, you can always Ignore them. That function has a purpose, you know.

Let's just get back to discussing Shulk, OK? So, how would a direction-basing (like attacking from the back is more powerful than the front) and buffing moveset would work for Shulk?
That seems to be the obvious option for Shulk, especially after seeing Robin's dark magic attack. My only worry with that is how it would probably be hard to pull off in a one v one match. Buff would be cool though. Unlikely but what if his taunts buffed him, but obviously left him very open for a few seconds.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
They do look alike... Then again, I'm not drowning in the anime subculture to think that any subtle difference in a cheek or eyelash is a massive separation.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
They do look alike... Then again, I'm not drowning in the anime subculture to think that any subtle difference in a cheek or eyelash is a massive separation.
Just kind of out of curiosity is it alright to you how Robin is? The things you were saying about Shulk probably apply even more so to Robin.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If you think they look alike, might i recommend a good optometrist?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He looks like Robin.
Hah! Yknow, Robin's robes are very visually distinct. Shulk's outfit is also something I've never seen on anyone else, with or without the glasses.

They don't have the same hair color, same hair style, or even same face. Anyone who thinks they look the same is saying that because they want to see it or don't care about the character.

Multiple times we've given valid reasons why hes got a unique look, particularly within Smash, and been VERY cordial (you won't find such cordiality in many threads) with you while doing so.

However, I'm personally a person who can only give so many chances to people in discussions when they keep making no sense in what they say. Or ignoring the meat of other's arguments to keep their point chugging along when really it has no place, considering said person has already said they have no interest in the character, but DOES want them in Smash.

Edit: Yknow what? Never mind. I don't have time for this. Ignore lists exist for a reason.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Just kind of out of curiosity is it alright to you how Robin is? The things you were saying about Shulk probably apply even more so to Robin.
Well at least Robin isn't another blue haired swordsman, but he does have a pretty boy face (or she, I guess, which is a nice difference) that is quite similar to Marth. And hey, Ike got a visual upgrade, even though he's still another blue haired swordsman...

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Well at least Robin isn't another blue haired swordsman, but he does have a pretty boy face (or she, I guess, which is a nice difference) that is quite similar to Marth. And hey, Ike got a visual upgrade, even though he's still another blue haired swordsman...
Well Shulk wouldn't be another blue haired swordsman either xD (tho I know what you mean I was really hoping for not Chrom)

So it just comes down to who is announced first then? If Shulk had already been confirmed would you feel the same way about Robin speculation?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Ike didn't really get a visual upgrade- Sakurai and team used his 2nd game's appearance instead of his 1st game's.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Ike didn't really get a visual upgrade- Sakurai and team used his 2nd game's appearance instead of his 1st game's.
I know, I know. It's still an upgrade from the design used in Brawl though. As in, it's a design that separates his appearance even further from Marth's, which is helpful in the two being distinctive from one another.

If Shulk was announced first? Yeah, maybe. Nobody wants clones or characters that look so closely alike, or maybe you do, I don't though... I'm not exactly happy about Lucina, but, well, there she is. Would've preferred her as an alt.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Looks like I spoke too soon.

I really love how confident everyone is here about Shulk's inclusion.:)

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
If Shulk was announced first? Yeah, maybe. Nobody wants clones or characters that look so closely alike, or maybe you do, I don't though... I'm not exactly happy about Lucina, but, well, there she is. Would've preferred her as an alt.
Yeah I get'cha.

Well knowing Sakurai and his team I wouldn't worry about them looking similar too much. Assuming Shulk is in the game the smash them will figure out plenty of ways to keep them distinguishable and unique.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Each Nintendo character has something that defines their characteristic. Like the Master Sword for Link, Hat for Mario, Varia Suit for Samus, Captain Falcon's Blue Falcon, Pit's Bow, Fox's Arwing.

If you take any of those things away, you take away what gives those characters great defining characteristics. For characters like Samus and Captain Falcon, taking away the Varia suit and Blue Falcon takes away their major identity.

Link and his Master Sword are synonymous, just like Shulk and the Monado.
You can't be serious. His characteristic is obviously defined by his golden nipples.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
You can't be serious. His characteristic is obviously defined by his golden nipples.

Sonic 06 Eggman is related to Captain Falcon. This is canon now.

I want some new info to discuss dammit.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220

Basically a summation of what's been going on for the past day and a half
Glad to see I haven't missed too much.

But, yeah, there hasn't really been much new info to talk about. We need moar sources of hype.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Sonic 06 Eggman is related to Captain Falcon. This is canon now.

I want some new info to discuss dammit.
Well, I finally know who's going to inherit the Falcondorf move set.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Can people stop with the anime argument for the last time,IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU . I'm get sick of this dumb argument, this character shouldn't get in because I don't like how they look or I don't like A,B, or C genre. If Sakurai don't put it characters just because people didn't like a genre then there will be no super smash bros. Give a better argument or don't say anything I would even accept the too many swords over this ****.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So I'm still sticking to a gem item from Xenoblade that causes spike damage. It will make it so opponents have to keep there distance (or resort to throws) to do any damage to you unless they want to take damage themselves.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Ike got a visual upgrade, even though he's still another blue haired swordsman...
You dare call The Radiant Hero of Legend "another blue haired swordsman"? I guess Luigi is just another plumber, we should give him a visual upgrade:
leligi.png

Is this good enough for you? :troll:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
So I'm still sticking to a gem item from Xenoblade that causes spike damage. It will make it so opponents have to keep there distance (or resort to throws) to do any damage to you unless they want to take damage themselves.
That would be such a b**** of an item. I like it.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I really like this idea.

As for the anime swordsmen thing. I don't think anyone who has played Xenoblade would really qualify the Monado as a sword. Lightsaber, vision enducing, mechon slaying blade sure. It does a little more than a conventional sword, and I would hope his moveset would reflect as much.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
What's been going on here?

Other than that, if Shulk is in, what sort of alt costume would you guys want to see?
Swimsuit Shulk, jungle armor Shulk, Stella Armor Shulk, and white and gold recolor Shulk seem to be the most popular choices.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I really like this idea.

As for the anime swordsmen thing. I don't think anyone who has played Xenoblade would really qualify the Monado as a sword. Lightsaber, vision enducing, mechon slaying blade sure. It does a little more than a conventional sword, and I would hope his moveset would reflect as much.
Allow me to quote TV Tropes on the subject of the Monado: (Xenoblade; Impossibly cool weapon)
"A Cool Laser Bladed BFS of Combat Clairvoyance And Plot Advancement."
And that's just the parts that weren't under a spoiler tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom