• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

While that is just one poll, it's still pleasant to see Shulk on there. It gives me more hope that Sakurai definitely took him into consideration due to how he has been consistently on the top of numerous polls and the number of requests he has. Shulk is definitely a character that is impossible to ignore for Sakurai.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Better than nothing
And the truth is it's one of many. Consistently Shulk shows up in polls, same as we could say that Little Mac was popular in just one poll, or just one person if that person was a room full of Little Mac haters.

All those "just one's" eventually add up.

D

Deleted member

All those "just one's" eventually add up.
It's like how in some RPGs there are some collectables that just add one point to a stat; an example is in M&L: Dream Team where there are Beans that increase one specific stat, but those Beans do add up in the long run.

What might be viewed as "one poll" can be added to the hundreds or thousands of polls that feature Shulk at the top of the list. They eventually add up to the point where Shulk is considered unavoidable by Sakurai. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai did some research by going to various polls and message boards on who people wanted to see and Shulk's name would definitely come up an innumerable amount of times.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Shulk's visions are a pretty unique mechanic. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it change something in Smash Bros we haven't seen before. For example, if he had some kind of meter or counter for everytime he spot dodged an attack, and the 5th attack he spot dodges or something the attack that misses gets extra lag so Shulk can get a free hit of his choice. Lucario get's bigger/longer lasting hitboxes in brawl for aura, Shulk's eyes could glow more blue with each attack he spot dodges. Either way, seeing something incorporated into his shield/dodge and not just a boring counter move would be very cool imo.

Of course this only counts if he's in.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played Xenoblade, so I don't know nothing about Shulk. I have this question though, is he owned by Nintendo?
Yes.
He is owned by Monolith Soft, which is a 1st party company to Nintendo. So, Nintendo owns full rights to Shulk and everything Xenoblade.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Shulk's visions are a pretty unique mechanic. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it change something in Smash Bros we haven't seen before. For example, if he had some kind of meter or counter for everytime he spot dodged an attack, and the 5th attack he spot dodges or something the attack that misses gets extra lag so Shulk can get a free hit of his choice. Lucario get's bigger/longer lasting hitboxes in brawl for aura, Shulk's eyes could glow more blue with each attack he spot dodges. Either way, seeing something incorporated into his shield/dodge and not just a boring counter move would be very cool imo.

Of course this only counts if he's in.
Given Little Mac's power meter, Rosalina's puppetry and Mega Man's like 98% projectile based moveset, I think it's fair to say most newcomers are being incorporated with some sort of gimmick in mind, usually unprecedented in Smash.

I would be fine with any version of Shulk getting in, but I much prefer the idea of Sakurai going that extra step to give him a unique vision mechanic. I think something involving consecutive dodges and shields and the like would be great.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Japan's reaction to Little Mac's inclusion, I could see some people over here in the West saying the same things about Shulk. "Who's Shulk?" "Never heard of him." "Oh, he looks cool." Xenoblade has a small fanbase, but also has a passionate fanbase in the states. But I think we've established this already. But anyways, back on point, glad to see Shulk was among that list. Japan already got some picks tailored more towards them (Marth, Roy, and Lucas come to mind), hopefully Shulk is no exception to this.

And, as a side note, thank goodness that Waluigi was deconfirmed. One of the stupidest character suggestions I've ever seen.

D

Deleted member

And, as a side note, thank goodness that Waluigi was deconfirmed. One of the stupidest character suggestions I've ever seen.
What about… Goku?

Thanks, now that I understand that, I'm gettin pretty interested in this whole Shulk topic, I might try out Xenoblade sometime in May.
You HAVE to play this game soon! You won't regret that decision! It's a fantastic game, one of the best that I've played in fact.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Personally I wouldn't mind Shulk's Final Smash to be one of the cut-scene types. Some of the other Xenoblade party members come in (maybe randomized members) and they perform a chain attack. Possibly a vision could also be incorporated into that somewhere, Shulk saving one of his friends by seeing the future? XD

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Personally I wouldn't mind Shulk's Final Smash to be one of the cut-scene types. Some of the other Xenoblade party members come in (maybe randomized members) and they perform a chain attack. Possibly a vision could also be incorporated into that somewhere, Shulk saving one of his friends by seeing the future? XD
I forgot about those types of Final Smashes..

In that case I'd be kinda alright with a vision based cut-scene myself.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well just came here to say that i started Xenoblade Chronicles like 2 weeks ago, and that i totally support Shulk for Super Smash Bros 4, he has lots of potential, plus, imagine the music and stages we could get from this amazing game, it makes me hnnnngg.
I would be dissapointed if he doesn't show up.

D

Deleted member

I believe that having no Xenoblade content in Smash would be a crime. I mean, not having Shulk would be bad, but if wasn't represented with a stage or some music, that would be horrendous.
This is a series that has to get represented in Smash…

Is that still going on? I thought prices would start to even out after a while...
Unfortunately, I don't think that this will happen.
Xenoblade is a rare game, and of course an incredible one at that. I can imagine that GameStop would abuse their used games policy to make the game more expensive to buy. It doesn't seem like it will be stopping anytime soon.
I just feel bad because my money isn't going to Monolith Soft.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I believe that having no Xenoblade content in Smash would be a crime. I mean, not having Shulk would be bad, but if wasn't represented with a stage or some music, that would be horrendous.
This is a series that has to get represented in Smash…

Unfortunately, I don't think that this will happen.
Xenoblade is a rare game, and of course an incredible one at that. I can imagine that GameStop would abuse their used games policy to make the game more expensive to buy. It doesn't seem like it will be stopping anytime soon.
I just feel bad because my money isn't going to Monolith Soft.
I can see me playing on a Xenoblade stage, with Bionis' Leg music playing, in a timeless match.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I'm starting to think Shulk's Final Smash should be piloting a Doll.

Also I don't want to hear our belly aching that he never piloted one, because there are a lot of examples of contradictions already.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Also, I'm starting to think Shulk's Final Smash should be piloting a Doll.

Also I don't want to hear our belly aching that he never piloted one, because there are a lot of examples of contradictions already.
There may be, but not really in any instance where the character had a perfectly viable move.

There's actually not too many examples in the first place, other than the Earthbound characters and anybody who had it pretty much fabricated from nothingness.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There may be, but not really in any instance where the character had a perfectly viable move.

There's actually not too many examples in the first place, other than the Earthbound characters and anybody who had it pretty much fabricated from nothingness.
Still, the idea of using a Doll is probably the most practical Final Smash material we have at the moment, even if Shulk technically never used one.

How it would be used, I'd more so see Shulk piloting the Doll in the background while bombarding the battlefield with varies projectiles, then finishing with a powerful blow.

Which reminds me, I have a theory that the red Doll from the trailers may have connections to the Monado.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Still, the idea of using a Doll is probably the most practical Final Smash material we have at the moment, even if Shulk technically never used one.

How it would be used, I'd more so see Shulk piloting the Doll in the background while bombarding the battlefield with varies projectiles, then finishing with a powerful blow.

Which reminds me, I have a theory that the red Doll from the trailers may have connections to the Monado.
I don't know if I'd agree it's the most practical. A massive Monado Buster like the one on Prison Island seems to me to be the most obvious/practical, it perhaps the most boring.

And now that you mention it... That could be some kind of awesome...

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'd still bank on him having one of the cut-scene type smashes, like Kirby's cooking pot and Captain Falcon's FS. They could put just about anything in it Xenoblade wise if it was one of those.

Edit: Maybe even have the Mechonis/Bionis rise up in the background, maybe both and they are fighting each other. Shulk see's a vision of one of the two using their massive blade to strike the stage and KO everyone, but he manages to save himself due to the vision. So many possibilities with the cut-scene type.

Last edited:

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I'd be fine with giving him a giant Monado Buster or even Monado Cyclone. I don't care much for final smashes, honestly.

The Dol is definitely an interesting idea, but if it ends up being just a Landmaster with legs, I'll be very dissapointed.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Boy I sure am glad I live in the UK and bought Xenoblade for only £40

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
"Used" Xenoblade at my Gamestop is 60$ it looks like.
Atleast you can still find co
Boy I sure am glad I live in the UK and bought Xenoblade for only £40
Yeah I also was very lucky that I could buy the last new copy in an Belgian online shop for 45 euros, because nowadays you can't even find this game used anymore.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Regarding Japan's reaction to Little Mac's inclusion, I could see some people over here in the West saying the same things about Shulk. "Who's Shulk?" "Never heard of him." "Oh, he looks cool." Xenoblade has a small fanbase, but also has a passionate fanbase in the states. But I think we've established this already. But anyways, back on point, glad to see Shulk was among that list. Japan already got some picks tailored more towards them (Marth, Roy, and Lucas come to mind), hopefully Shulk is no exception to this.

Xenoblade sold more then double the number of copies in North America then it did in Japan, so I seriously doubt this. A lot of people don't realize this, but about half of Xenoblades sold copies come from North America, which was it's strongest region BY FAR (probably because it was the face of "Operation Rainfall.")

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Xenoblade sold more then double the number of copies in North America then it did in Japan, so I seriously doubt this. A lot of people don't realize this, but about half of Xenoblades sold copies come from North America, which was it's strongest region BY FAR (probably because it was the face of "Operation Rainfall.")
Xenoblade Chronicles is still no Wii Sports though.

Despite selling best in North America, it's still an underground title due to the lackluster distribution and advertisement. I know for a fact that due to that factor, there are still going to be quite a lot of people confused as to what the hell Xenoblade Chronicles is. In hindsight this shouldn't hurt the prospective of inclusion, but don't be surprised by people being confused.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel as though if Xenoblade Chronicles didn't have a limited release and was released in stores like Wal-Mart and Best Buy instead of just GameStop, then I bet it would have much better sales. I am not too surprised with the sales being better in America than in Japan. I guess this could be contributed by both Operation Rainfall, the coverage it got, and the simple fact that America is larger than Japan.

Xenoblade is definitely not a title that is high among the ranks of Mario, DK, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon, but I bet that it won't go unnoticed by Sakurai. People will be confused, but he's still very wanted worldwide. I expect there to be much confusion from Miiverse and several other websites, but I think that many will rejoice for his inclusion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Xenoblade Chronicles is still no Wii Sports though.

Despite selling best in North America, it's still an underground title due to the lackluster distribution and advertisement. I know for a fact that due to that factor, there are still going to be quite a lot of people confused as to what the hell Xenoblade Chronicles is. In hindsight this shouldn't hurt the prospective of inclusion, but don't be surprised by people being confused.
I don't disagree... it's a niche title no matter where you go, but it's a great game that was met with critical acclaim pretty much everywhere.

D

Deleted member

If there are new Nintendo Select editions incoming for Wii games, Xenoblade should know a little boost in sales, along with Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Metroid : Other M (yeah, I dare), Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn, etc.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Finally got back into Xenoblade (Pokemon is sucking up 99% of my game time) last night and reached sword valley. Then I got to thinking, what if Mechon (the biped ones) was an AT? I can see one or two running around and firing lazers or grabbing opponents and "eating" them in a manner similar to Gulpin.

Granted an actual character would be better (Melia in particular :love:), but it's just a thought.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just wish I could use the Wii U Tablet as a controller when playing Wii games, I would be replaying Xenoblade right now if that was the case. It sucks that I can play games like Brawl and Xenoblade anywhere in my house with the Tablet, but I am forced to use a Wii Remote with Classic Controller when the tablet has the same buttons.

So, do I count as a Shulk supporter if I want him in the game, but not over my most wanted or expected characters? He is never on my 46 character rosters, but usually squeaks in on a 48 and would definitely be in for a 50+ character roster.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Finally got back into Xenoblade (Pokemon is sucking up 99% of my game time) last night and reached sword valley. Then I got to thinking, what if Mechon (the biped ones) was an AT? I can see one or two running around and firing lazers or grabbing opponents and "eating" them in a manner similar to Gulpin.

Granted an actual character would be better (Melia in particular :love:), but it's just a thought.
Random Poll, who thinks Melia > Fiora?

Dunban>Reyn?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
@ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D
I'd say that counts, I mean you're not opposed so that's one good indication right haha?

@ Snagrio Snagrio and @ foolssigma foolssigma

I wouldn't mind a Mechon being an AT, but I'd much prefer a character from the main party or a boss enemy. As far as Melia>Fiora I pick Fiora errday, and I prefer Reyn over Dunban too.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
For me it's Melia > Fiora and Reyn > Dunban

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.