• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still just want to see some sort of detail about Xenoblade Chronicles in Super Smash Bros., so maybe people can settle down.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I still just want to see some sort of detail about Xenoblade Chronicles in Super Smash Bros., so maybe people can settle down.
I honestly don't think we'd see any hint of Xenoblade in Smash until the game's launch. The ONLY thing I could see us getting would be a stage revealed via Pic of the Day. I don't know, I just really think it fits best as a secret character/stage/music type of series.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think we'd see any hint of Xenoblade in Smash until the game's launch. The ONLY thing I could see us getting would be a stage revealed via Pic of the Day. I don't know, I just really think it fits best as a secret character/stage/music type of series.
Stage reveals usually line up with a newcomer reveal. The boxing ring and Little Mac being an example, but we already saw the Smash boxing ring before we ever saw the BBVA one so that may not cut it. But if a stage reveal does happen via Pic of the day without Shulk, I think the hype train for Shulk will start to pick up a lot of a speed.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Stage reveals usually line up with a newcomer reveal. The boxing ring and Little Mac being an example, but we already saw the Smash boxing ring before we ever saw the BBVA one so that may not cut it. But if a stage reveal does happen via Pic of the day without Shulk, I think the hype train for Shulk will start to pick up a lot of a speed.
Well actually the majority of stages were revealed without any character announcement. Pilot Wings, Skyworld 2/whateverthePalutenastagewillbecalled, Pyrosphere, Find Mii, Rainbow Road, Reset Bomb, and even technically the Galaxy stage.

But yeah, if we got a Xenoblade stage revealed via Pic of the Day, the hype train would be unstoppable around here haha.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Well actually the majority of stages were revealed without any character announcement. Pilot Wings, Skyworld 2/whateverthePalutenastagewillbecalled, Pyrosphere, Find Mii, Rainbow Road, Reset Bomb, and even technically the Galaxy stage.

But yeah, if we got a Xenoblade stage revealed via Pic of the Day, the hype train would be unstoppable around here haha.
Hmm, true. But Windy Hill was revealed along with Sonic and Rainbow Road with Rosalina, but I guess that only gives me two more examples compared to your 20+ haha.

D

Deleted member

I find it unlikely that we will get a Xenoblade stage before Shulk. It seems naturally fitting to announce Shulk with the stage, just like Sonic's reveal. If we do get a Xenoblade stage before Shulk… then I heavily fear the amount of comments that will basically give us Smashville logic. "We got Smashville in Brawl and Villager wasn't playable then! So what makes you think that this stage hints at Shulk being playable?"

Still though, I would love to see a Xenoblade stage get confirmed. That would be something extraordinary and I would be hoping and praying that Shulk would get confirmed soon.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I find it unlikely that we will get a Xenoblade stage before Shulk. It seems naturally fitting to announce Shulk with the stage, just like Sonic's reveal. If we do get a Xenoblade stage before Shulk… then I heavily fear the amount of comments that will basically give us Smashville logic. "We got Smashville in Brawl and Villager wasn't playable then! So what makes you think that this stage hints at Shulk being playable?"

Still though, I would love to see a Xenoblade stage get confirmed. That would be something extraordinary and I would be hoping and praying that Shulk would get confirmed soon.
Yeah I don't find it likely in the sense of it being more likely then not, I just don't discount it as a possibility.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The difference with the Galaxy stage compared to something like a Xenoblade stage, is the Galaxy stage could of just been just a Mario stage with no Rosalina character at all and it would have been about the same. A Xenoblade stage being introduced with no reference to anything just seems like an odd thing to do. Not entirely impossible but I'm not putting too many bets on that. I just don't see a Xenoblade stage happening without a Xenoblade character, just don't seem like a game you'd make a random stage out of just for the heck of it.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Weighing in on this discussion, I don't personally believe we will be seeing a Xenoblade Chronicles stage before Shulk is revealed. I lean more towards during or after. Now, when said reveal actually happens. . . I would think that E3 may be in our reach, or perhaps a reveal to coincide with the release of Monolith Soft's "X" (assuming it's related to Xenoblade Chronicles in some manner, whether it be by story, title, etc.). As for having a reveal out of the blue. . . While I don't personally expect it, I acknowledge the possibility, and that would make all the more reason for me to support it, because I would be elated (Shulk naturally being my most wanted newcomer and all).

On another note, I just recently bought Xenosaga: Episodes 1 & 2 a couple of days ago. . . Unfortunately episode 3 wasn't available, but in due time I'll manage to complete the trilogy.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
For a franchise that's very new (if you consider Xenoblade to be a new IP separate from the other Xeno games), let alone one that hasn't been in Smash yet, it doesn't seem sensible to just randomly throw out a stage for it without an accompanying character; especially for a regular PotD.

Of course there is the factor of the ever unpredictable Sakurai to put into account, but more then likely a stage will appear when Shulk hopefully does.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well again, some of the stages we've seen are from series previously unrepped in Smash in any way, like Pilot Wings, and the Find Mii stage. Now I'm not at all suggesting that both of those are getting a playable character, but I am saying that there's the outside chance that a Xenoblade stage appear and not serve as an outright confirmation one way or the other for Shulk.

People consider Mii fairly likely, but people point more to the Leak than to the stage as their evidence for believing that.

D

Deleted member

The chances of getting a Xenoblade stage without Shulk are very slim.

The Pilotwings stage and Find Mii stage make sense for not getting a rep. Even if the Mii is or is not playable, it still makes sense to me to not make the Mii playable yet have two stages based on games featuring the Miis. It's just with Shulk not getting in and having a Xenoblade stage being very awkward. With a franchise like Xenoblade not getting a character yet have a stage… it seems weird to me as it is becoming a bigger franchise; I felt the same way with not having an AC rep but have Smashville be a stage.

I personally find Shulk to be likely and Miis to be unlikely. Shulk in Smash just fits like a glove. The Miis? I think Sakurai might not incorporate them.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I actually tried googling reasons why shulk should not be in Smash Bros...

Instead I found this nice list of reasons why he should appear.

The 5 reasons they propose are:

5. Xenoblade Chronicles is ripe with beautiful music and scenery
4. Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo
3.His move set could easily be converted and is unique
2. The Franchise has games coming out
1. The game is loved by fans and critics alike

Here's the link if you would like to read into more detail: http://nerdswole.com/2014/01/14/5-reasons-why-shulk-should-be-in-smash-4/
Oh hey, I wrote this article.

More on topic though, the only way I could see him not making the roster is that if the newcomer quota(whatever random number Sakurai feels it is 10-15 is my guess) is filled and Shulk gets bumped. Obviously I and all of us here are biased, but I still have a hard time thinking of 10 characters more deserving to be a newcomer.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well it's kinda funny you mention 10 or so characters specifically, since anytime that number is in question it's impossible to keep Shulk out of it. In fact, minor though it may be, Shulk is currently up against Palutena for most wanted newcomer of GameFaqs. Hell he beat out Mewtwo, so that's saying something, even if it is just one board out of who knows how many haha.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I think the stage should be The Binois Knee

With the Mechonis looming in the background as the day goes by

Creatures and Mechon will sometimes mess with the players

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think the stage should be The Binois Knee

With the Mechonis looming in the background as the day goes by

Creatures and Mechon will sometimes mess with the players
The idea of a stage always conflicts me... I want monsters and mechon around to give that sense of (I hate using this word but I can't think of anything more appropriate) epicness that you got in Xenoblade when approaching massive monsters for the first time, but the more competitive me dislikes the idea of them being hazards.

One thing's for sure though, whichever stages we get needs to have night/day cycle. Hell it'd be awesome if the song playing changed to reflect that...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To be honest, I don't think I could pick THE place to be a stage. Every location is so breathtaking in its own right that if given the task I wouldn't be able to choose.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You're right everywhere was interesting and they'd all make great stages....
uh....Trrraaveling Stage around the Bionis?

D

Deleted member

I have thought up of a specials moveset. I'm too lazy to work up a detailed moveset.
First, what would be Shulk's gimmick? Little Mac has the Power Meter, Mega Man has his projectiles, and Rosalina has her Lumas. What would Shulk bring?
The Level Up
After when Shulk gives a certain amount of damage to his opponents, his Specials will level up. You start at level I and end at level III. However, if Shulk gets KO'd, he starts back at level I. The Level Up won't be applied to ground or aerial attacks.

Specials:
Standard: Monado Buster

This made sense to me as his neutral special. It's a charging move and the process of charging the move is similar to Marth's Shield Breaker or Ike's Eruption. However, the longer you hold down the special button won't increase the damage that you will do. Instead, it will increase the length of the Monado's beam. The Level Up will increase the power of Monado Buster, but won't increase the length of it. At level I, this does 20% max; level II, 25% max; level III, 30% max. It might not see use in competitive play, but it can be useful in casual play. The maximum length the Monado can go at is nearly 1/4 the length of Final Destination.

Side: Monado Eater
I had trouble figuring his side special out, but I decided on Monado Eater. What Monado Eater will do is that it will send out a projectile and cause some poison damage (think of Lip's Stick). Monado Eater was a debuff move in Xenoblade; Shulk would attack the opponent and would cause them to bleed. I think that a poison-like status would be similar in vain to the bleed status in Xenoblade. The Monado's beam will turn into a dark purple color and fire a quick projectile. This projectile can be charged to be more powerful and when it reaches its maximum, Shulk can store it and fire it whenever he wants to. The projectile in question can be as small as Luigi's Fireball or as big as a fully charged Aura Sphere from a Lucario at 0% damage and the projectile is as fast as either of those moves. What the Level Up will do here is alter the duration of the poison. At level I, the poison lasts for 1-2 seconds; at level II, the poison lasts for 2-3 seconds; at level III, the poison lasts for 3-4 seconds. This move can easily be reflected and can hit Shulk, thus poisoning him.

Down: Monado Shield
This one made sense to me and it's rather simple too. Monado Shield is a reflector move that is quite different from usual reflectors like Fox's Reflector or Pit's Mirror Shield. This move does no damage, but it shields Shulk from any projectile and allows him to move around. How long it stays out depends on Shulk's current status in the Level Up. At level I, Monado Shield will last for 3 seconds; at level II, Monado Shield will last for 5 seconds; at level III, Monado Shield will last for 7 seconds. As this move is being activated, the Monado's beam turns into a golden yellow color.

Up: Monado Speed
I had trouble with this one as well. I wanted to use a regular Art that Shulk knows, but I rather have Shulk's whole moveset be based around Monado Arts. As a result, I decided to combine one of Shulk's regular Arts with this Monado Art.
Think of Ike's Aether. Shulk can only go straight up, but he holds onto his sword. The Monado's beam turns into a dark blue color and it gives him a boost of speed and thus giving him his third jump. As Shulk rises, he can still take some damage. At the very apex of the jump, Shulk does an Air Slash. When he does an Air Slash, he gains super armor and thus cannot be knocked back. This move can be useful against edge guarders who are just grabbing onto the ledge and the Air Slash could catch them off guard. After his Air Slash, Shulk enters a helpless state. In times of emergency, you can have Shulk preform an air dodge and you can allow him to use a different move in the air afterwards, but you can't use Monado Speed again. The move doesn't become more powerful in the Level Up, but it increases Shulk's speed when rising upwards. At level I, Monado Speed is as fast as Lucario's ExtremeSpeed; at level II, Monado Speed is 1.25x faster than Lucario's ExtremeSpeed; at level III, Monado Speed is 1.5x faster than Lucario's ExtremeSpeed. Shulk's height from the recovery is about the same as Kirby's Final Cutter, but Shulk can only go straight up and cannot move in the air.

Final Smash: Monado Cyclone
By far the best option for his Final Smash. No matter where you are in the Level Up, Monado Cyclone is always at level III.
Shulk says "Behold the power of the Monado!", rises from the ground and creates a giant and windy pillar. The Monado's beam here will also turn into a white color.
Opponents will have a hard time running away from the Monado Cyclone as it has a vacuum effect to it and the Monado Cyclone does continuous damage. Think of it like Ho-Oh being summoned from a Poke Ball and is using its attack. Monado Cyclone can even go through the grounds of a stage. The final hit does extremely minimal knockback, but the opponents would be at a high enough damage percentage already that they will get KO'd easily anyway.

So, what do you think about my specials? Anything that I can improve on?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I like those specials. They incorporate some of what I've seen around here, and eater in particular is exactly as I've imagined it before, though the level up system does add something to it. Shield also is something I've thought about before, and I like how you worked it in.

Personally I like cyclone (a toned down version of course) as an up or down smash whenever I put together movesets, as I like to incorporate his visions into his FS, but it is damn difficult to pull that off well so I still think Cyclone works here.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I like those specials. They incorporate some of what I've seen around here, and eater in particular is exactly as I've imagined it before, though the level up system does add something to it. Shield also is something I've thought about before, and I like how you worked it in.

Personally I like cyclone (a toned down version of course) as an up or down smash whenever I put together movesets, as I like to incorporate his visions into his FS, but it is damn difficult to pull that off well so I still think Cyclone works here.
When it comes to Visions I think Shulk's eyes should just glow when you dodge.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
When it comes to Visions I think Shulk's eyes should just glow when you dodge.
It'd be a neat touch, but it's so crucial to his character that I'd personally be a bit upset if it was relegated to just being a small thing like that. In my opinion it'd be like Link's moveset being all sword based but him having taunts where he pulls out different items.

D

Deleted member

The thing is with the visions is that while it is a major part of Shulk, incorporating that in a moveset is difficult.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The thing is with the visions is that while it is a major part of Shulk, incorporating that in a moveset is difficult.
Yeah I definitely agree. I've tried to make it a gimmick, and failed. I've tried to make it his Final Smash, and... it was eh. Basically resulted int a transformation.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I actually thought of a final smash that uses his visions. It goes all blue like it does in Xenoblade, and for 10 seconds it records the movements of the opponents. After the 10 seconds is up, everything goes back to how it was before, but the opponents' actions are locked to whatever they did for those 10 sec, allowing Shulk to dodge and attack.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Visions are probably the hardest thing to implement. The main problem is that your trying to look into the future, but directly translating the mechanic doesn't work in a game like Super Smash Bros. where there is clearly a different pacing. This is why I think making a direct mechanic wouldn't work, but rather some sort of variation of the concept. Like, a mechanic where you can gain an estimate of your opponents next action with silhouettes, or much more complex dodging and blocking mechanics.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I actually thought of a final smash that uses his visions. It goes all blue like it does in Xenoblade, and for 10 seconds it records the movements of the opponents. After the 10 seconds is up, everything goes back to how it was before, but the opponents' actions are locked to whatever they did for those 10 sec, allowing Shulk to dodge and attack.
I've heard this idea somewhere on GameFaqs, but I remember some issue arising regarding the actual mechanics of that. I personally think it sounds doable though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The visions could be a random effect Shulk can have anytime.
Or he can have it as a special move in which time goes slow, but it would require a temporary recharge.
You could make the charge go faster if you hit the opponent enough times.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Or he can have it as a special move in which time goes slow, but it would require a temporary recharge.
You could make the charge go faster if you hit the opponent enough times.
That could work, sort of. It has something to do with time yet is easily manageable. But such an idea still doesn't quite capture the concept the visions uphold.

Nonetheless, I'm sure Sakurai and co. can figure something out assuming Shulk is in (which he better be).

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I wonder, if the upcoming "X" is a new franchise or is part of a new "Xeno" series where each game takes place in its own universe like Final Fantasy or Tales. And yes I know Xenosaga and Xenogears are not part of it since they're not owned by Nintendo. As for Shulk, I get he might be an unlockable character, it would be a nice surprise.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I wonder, if the upcoming "X" is a new franchise or is part of a new "Xeno" series where each game takes place in its own universe like Final Fantasy or Tales. And yes I know Xenosaga and Xenogears are not part of it since they're not owned by Nintendo. As for Shulk, I get he might be an unlockable character, it would be a nice surprise.
Well Xenoblade wasn't even supposed to be a "Xeno" game either, only being named so as a tribute. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this new game ends up dropping the Xeno altogether.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
The chances of getting a Xenoblade stage without Shulk are very slim.

The Pilotwings stage and Find Mii stage make sense for not getting a rep. Even if the Mii is or is not playable, it still makes sense to me to not make the Mii playable yet have two stages based on games featuring the Miis. It's just with Shulk not getting in and having a Xenoblade stage being very awkward. With a franchise like Xenoblade not getting a character yet have a stage… it seems weird to me as it is becoming a bigger franchise; I felt the same way with not having an AC rep but have Smashville be a stage.

I personally find Shulk to be likely and Miis to be unlikely. Shulk in Smash just fits like a glove. The Miis? I think Sakurai might not incorporate them.
You know, the Miis are part of a franchise of Nintendo that become really big in a short time, Xenoblade is a like an insect compared to the Wii series that already outclassed many Classic Nintendo series, we already have one character from that series, the Wii Fit Trainer... But she is representing Wii Fit series, much like Yoshi represents his own franchise, so it is not impossible to see Miis being a playable character in the game. At the end almost anything from videogames, specifically related to Nintendo fits in Smash. Even so, i dont really support Miis at all.

We have nintendogs stage, but we dont have Nintendogs playable character, DAM I WANT TO KICK PUPPIES.
Or exactly the opposite, i can not imagine nothing more humiliating than being destroyed by this:

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I THINK the sentiment of the above post is that as a relatively smaller franchise, it'd make sense to some degree for Xenoblade to get a stage and not a character?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I THINK the sentiment of the above post is that as a relatively smaller franchise, it'd make sense to some degree for Xenoblade to get a stage and not a character?
It could happen, we have precedents of that. And some examples in SSB4.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Xenoblade relegated to assist trophy, music and maybe a stage.

In fairness there are some devoted fan bases that have been waiting far longer for a playable rep. (Little Mac to name the most notable) Xenoblade (X) might have to do the time before it gets a look in.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It's hilarious to me that the Japanese fanbase basically spoke of Little Mac as people here did of Wii Fit Trainer XD

Related to Shulk though, yeah, he's pretty consistently present when the Japanese weigh in on who they want, so that always gives me hope.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I would say that our friends across the Pacific pond are jerk-ish for hating on a character that's only popular here, but then again we do the same thing.

Then again again the Japanese get all the good exclusive stuff (just look at how many 3DS designs thay have as one example) while everyone else is usually left with scraps, so the point remains. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom