• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
The thing about characters that have no fear is that often, its not good character, but bad writing. Shulk does have fears, even if they are only apparent later.
Eh, I'd say he showed quite a bit of fear even early on. Such as
When he received the vision of Fiora's death, and knew that there was nothing he could do to stop it. Or when he was afraid he would lose Reyn in Tephra Cave. Then there was his overall fear of letting those close to him know of what his visions were showing him. He was afraid of what his visions showed him, and he doubted if he was even capable of changing the course of destiny. A reasonable reaction, in my opinion.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Eh, I'd say he showed quite a bit of fear even early on. Such as
When he received the vision of Fiora's death, and knew that there was nothing he could do to stop it. Or when he was afraid he would lose Reyn in Tephra Cave. Then there was his overall fear of letting those close to him know of what his visions were showing him. He was afraid of what his visions showed him, and he doubted if he was even capable of changing the course of destiny. A reasonable reaction, in my opinion.
yes, that is certainly true. I had almost forgotten about back then. the game really does change once you get fiora (i've been planning to replay it soon).

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
yes, that is certainly true. I had almost forgotten about back then. the game really does change once you get fiora (i've been planning to relay it soon).
The thing with fear is that it's a natural part of being human. Everyone feels fear. A character who has no fear is either a marry sue, or just completely stupid. There's an old saying, that Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to face it.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
People have stupid arbitrary rules as to why a character should/shouldn't be in Smash. It's why when I look at fan rosters I'm glad Sakurai is making the game and not one of us.

I remember right after Rosalina got announced for Smash they showed a trailer for Mario Kart 8 confirming she's in that game as well. I can see them doing that with Shulk. Announce him for Smash at the next Direct, hen right after announce a Xenoblade HD remake similar to Wind Waker HD. I know some say just bundle it with X similar to Bayonetta. My only problem with that is we don't know when X is coming out. Earliest is probably Summer, heck it may come out Fall next year. So I feel like releasing Xenoblade HD right around the time Smash 4 comes out is the perfect time to entice people interested in Shulk to try the first game before the second one comes out.
I agree. Most of the time fan rosters are to predictable and don't have much surprise factor to them. Sakurai thankfully brings the surprise factor at full force.

A Xenoblade hd would be awesome. It would give the series even more exposure and make it easier for people to find the game that had trouble finding the regular version.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
If I don't see Bionis in glorious HD by the end of the year... Tears will be shed

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We are only 4 pages away from the K. Rool thread now. Hopefully something interesting and easily discussable pops up next week.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Do you think we'll ever beat Ridley, even in our wildest dreams?
No. That thread is too active, even if pretty much all of that activity is repeating things that have been said multiple, multiple times.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be better if they just did the same they did with Bayonetta giving us the 1st game as well when we buy the 2nd one. They probably won't do that sadly :(
They intend to make full use of the X disk, right? Make the biggest world possible in a Wii U game on it? I'd say it's pretty hard to just bundle it at that point. I guess they could include it on a different disk, but I feel like at that point they might as well just sell it as a different game. Plus, at Xenoblade's value level, and with how many people would buy it if only it was available and not insanely expensive, they'd be pretty stupid to just bundle it.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
They intend to make full use of the X disk, right? Make the biggest world possible in a Wii U game on it? I'd say it's pretty hard to just bundle it at that point. I guess they could include it on a different disk, but I feel like at that point they might as well just sell it as a different game. Plus, at Xenoblade's value level, and with how many people would buy it if only it was available and not insanely expensive, they'd be pretty stupid to just bundle it.
I agree, but at the same time it could be an incentive for people to buy X. I don't think it's gonna happen though.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Ridley is not too big!:troll:
Here, I'm gonna write another wall of text that explains exactly why Ridley is not too big and why he is cool and why I want him in smash! Do note, I am just poking fun. I like everyone over at the Ridley thread but it gets kinda old after a while.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Here, I'm gonna write another wall of text that explains exactly why Ridley is not too big and why he is cool and why I want him in smash! Do note, I am just poking fun. I like everyone over at the Ridley thread but it gets kinda old after a while.
People coming into the thread saying the same boring stale arguments against him (HE'S TOO BIG) and people making fun of the thread as a result of us defending Ridley gets old after a while too
Though seriously let's not talk about Ridley here, those discussions have nothing to do with Shulk and any debate regarding Ridley has been turned from a decent discussion to a dumb cluster**** of memes because of one idiot spouting the stupidest things. Any continuation of this and...
Well, I'll just let this speak for itself
alternative method.gif

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
People coming into the thread saying the same boring stale arguments against him (HE'S TOO BIG) and people making fun of the thread as a result of us defending Ridley gets old after a while too
Though seriously let's not talk about Ridley here, those discussions have nothing to do with Shulk and any debate regarding Ridley has been turned from a decent discussion to a dumb cluster**** of memes because of one idiot spouting the stupidest things. Any continuation of this and...
Well, I'll just let this speak for itself
View attachment 20213
Yeah yeah I know. I think it's better to just leave a thread and wait for something to talk about rather than repeating the same thing over and over though.

I hope Sakurai pulls out something good as a PoTD next week. Something similar to Robin's Nosferatu that can be discussed in this thread that is.

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Sakuri say in a tweet that all the starting characters would be announced soon? or was that a bad translation?
Do you think Shulk would be a starting character?
Whether Shulk's a starter or unlockable was always a tough decision to me.
Shulk would be a great way to advertise X (He's not in the game, but Marth and not-kid Roy weren't in FE7), so making him a starter would be a good way to get more people to know him quicker. At the same time, I remember the day me and my brother were playing Melee and Marth had appeared and we had no idea who he was, but he looked cool and he was fun to play as. And now we're both big Fire Emblem fans. So I feel like there'd be a good "wow" factor in seeing Shulk pop up randomly.
Decisions, decisions...he'd most likely be unlockable though. I just have the feeling.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Didn't Sakuri say in a tweet that all the starting characters would be announced soon? or was that a bad translation?
Sakurai stated that the 3DS version is basically complete for Japan and at this point they are basically digging to try to find any bugs in the code to make sure the product is as flawless as possible and said he may be rolling out some demos with the build. That doesn't stop Sakurai from "locking" certain starters from appearing on the demos or even having an unlockable or 2 in there (like Luigi and Toon Link on the 3DS E3 build).
However, I foresee Shulk being an unlockable newcomer that we don't know about until post-launch.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I hope so, that will suck if he was announce and then you have to unlock him that will be such a buzz kill if that happened.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It also depends if Sakuri wants to announce him with a trailer or not.
and probably if he has any special mechanics, that he needs to explain.
What if the trailer is in-game, half of which plays before you do the unlock fight (akin to the SSE cutscenes for Wolf, Jiggles, and Tink), but the mechanical aspect of it that explains it when you unlock him? Of course, these could be re-watched in a sub-menu like the videos of Brawl.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I fell so far behind in this thread for once I just skipped to the newest page. Hope I didn't miss too much. Regardless of which characters are shown at this point forward, I think they will all be unlockable.

Also, I saw Fiora in a leak for the first time as a playable character. Looks like Xenoblade is getting the Fire Emblem treatment after all. :troll:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I fell so far behind in this thread for once I just skipped to the newest page. Hope I didn't miss too much.
Ah, hate when that happens. Especially when I DID miss too much, and people start talking about the huge thing that happened in those pages I skipped a few pages later and I'm too lazy to go back and check.

D

Deleted member

I would be surprised if Xenoblade got the treatment Fire Emblem did in Melee. I wouldn't mind a second Xenoblade rep though! (unless that character is Sharla, in which case no)

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Let's see here... my intuition is telling my unconscious mind that Shulk would be an unlockable character and my conscious mind can't explain why.

Ummmm

Well, in Brawl most of the newcomers were on the starting roster so I don't think it's that. The one's that weren't are Lucario, ROB, Snake, Sonic, Toon Link, and Wolf.

Other unlockable characters were Ness, Marth, Luigi, Falco, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, and Jigglypuff.

Uhh so 14 of the 35 characters were unlocked. I guess it's not that either.

Well, maybe it's because Shulk is the only of his series. Snake, Sonic, G&W, Captain Falcon, and R.O.B are unlockable characters that are the only that are apart of their series.

Ones that aren't are unlockable are Olimar and Pit. I suppose from that perspective it makes more sense, since single characters seem far more likely to be made unlockable than apart of the starting roster. Ike is a newcomer from a Fire Emblem, a jrpg, so maybe he has relevance here too.

Maybe I can find more answers if I go back to Melee.

Pichu, Marth, Roy, G&W, Dr. Mario, Jiggly, Young Link, Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo are the unlockable characters in Melee. Once again, the starting roster takes the majority with 14 starting to 11 unlockable.

Marth and Roy are from a JRPG and are both unlockable newcomers. I suppose this may is kind of big.
G&W is also a single, unlockable, newcomer character.

Ice Climbers is the only one of the starting Roster that fits under 'solo newcomer'.

Yeah, so newcomers have been more likely to be unlockable than on the starter roster in the previous sequels. I guess that explains that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, Fiora would be beneficial for the sake of having a robo-waifu on the roster.

Still won't rival BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, but still.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Well guys it's august and it is time for shulk to be announced, the hype is up for #AlvisAugust, so how about we go over how shulk would play in the game one last thought and other ideas for AT's and such.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Gah I never finished typing up that moveset I was planning! I'll get it done and posted here before Shulk is revealed I promise ;n;

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Well, Fiora would be beneficial for the sake of having a robo-waifu on the roster.

Still won't rival BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, but still.
Oh. While I sort of spoiled that thing for me on accident....I know now. My eyes are open, I've seen thing I shouldn't have seen.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J97oZsWqywdA8CR_eI8gJkvAm9xl_V8ZEV--IrPncb0/pub

Posted already?

Translations of every freaking thing in the Xenoblade Chronicles X gameplay footages.

I just want to say that it is so cool to know more about this game! :)) And if you read the arts palette of the MC, he inherits many arts from Shulk! So cool.
Oo tyvm, I read this now.

Oo! Ether is still a thing! "ether resistance," "ether shot (an attack)," "ether bubble." This supports my theory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom