• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
So here's a question for you guys:

What were you guys' thoughts on Shulk sparing Mumkhar's life at Sword Valley? I heard some people complaining that Shulk was being too soft on him and Dunban was being a pushover. Seems like most people didn't like that scene... I thought it was great. Am I in the minority or what?
Where/who have you heard saying they didn't like that scene? As others have pointed out, I think it's an important moment for Shulk. Revenge against what they thought was mindless machines was easy, but revenge against another sentient, thinking being was something he couldn't bring himself to enact. By that point they'd seen so much and in reality he probably realized that killing him wouldn't bring her back and thus decided against it. This moment is actually really important later on as well when examining Shulk as a character because he similarly struggles with the decision to kill Egil, despite Egil being unquestionably more dangerous than Mumkhar and not even his own species. Yes, Shulk is soft in that regard, but it's not a negative trait in him. He spares those that he can afford to. If he can strip them of the power that makes them dangerous, then there isn't any need to strip them of their lives as well. I think seeing those deaths that he'd seen up to that point allowed him to realize that killing is not something he really wants to resort to, even if the victim is the "enemy."

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Where/who have you heard saying they didn't like that scene? As others have pointed out, I think it's an important moment for Shulk. Revenge against what they thought was mindless machines was easy, but revenge against another sentient, thinking being was something he couldn't bring himself to enact. By that point they'd seen so much and in reality he probably realized that killing him wouldn't bring her back and thus decided against it. This moment is actually really important later on as well when examining Shulk as a character because he similarly struggles with the decision to kill Egil, despite Egil being unquestionably more dangerous than Mumkhar and not even his own species. Yes, Shulk is soft in that regard, but it's not a negative trait in him. He spares those that he can afford to. If he can strip them of the power that makes them dangerous, then there isn't any need to strip them of their lives as well. I think seeing those deaths that he'd seen up to that point allowed him to realize that killing is not something he really wants to resort to, even if the victim is the "enemy."
Oh, I heard it from quite a few people on GameFAQs and Youtube. Honestly, I thought that sentiment was a lot more prevalent than this. Not gonna lie though, you're answer is exactly what I wanted to read. Nice to see we're on the same page in that regard.

To be clear, the argument is that since Mumkhar had committed so many heinous crimes against Colony 9, Alcamoth, etc. and was completely evil with no redeeming qualities, he should not have been spared so effortlessly. Like I said though, I completely disagree with this.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Yes he could. That was after Prison Island when Zanza granted the Monado the ability to hurt humans.
Whoops! Brainfart moment, my bad.
Oh, I heard it from quite a few people on GameFAQs and Youtube. Honestly, I thought that sentiment was a lot more prevalent than this. Not gonna lie though, you're answer is exactly what I wanted to read. Nice to see we're on the same page in that regard.

To be clear, the argument is that since Mumkhar had committed so many heinous crimes against Colony 9, Alcamoth, etc. and was completely evil with no redeeming qualities, he should not have been spared so effortlessly. Like I said though, I completely disagree with this.
Any second now and @Mumkhar is gonna show up with a counter-post.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246

Ah, well I can't say I'm surprised at GFaqs expressing those types of sentiments. But yeah, glad I articulated myself well. I felt I was rushing my thought process a bit in order to get the response out before other posts swallowed it up haha.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
This guy has new videos! I must say that the remix video really has a stunning slideshow.

Cool, he came to some similar conclusions as I did through a different line of reasoning! Our lines intersect but ultimately head in different directions. I'm really thankful that he is doing this for us English speaking people; I've found myself wishing I could understand Japanese too many times over the past few months.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
So the POTD is...the 3DS main menu? Well that's random and insignificant. Almost like Sakurai may announce something tomorrow pertaining to next week. Maybe a live stream of some kind? ...just give me Shulk...

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
So the POTD is...the 3DS main menu? Well that's random and insignificant. Almost like Sakurai may announce something tomorrow pertaining to next week. Maybe a live stream of some kind? ...just give me Shulk...
I kinda feel the same way... Meh. Just a sort of lackluster ending to the week.

I think I'm gonna call it a night, guys. By the way, you all rock, I love this thread. :) Thanks for being so welcoming and such. The wait is getting a little tiring, but keep on trucking. Shulk is coming, I just know it. Here's to a (hopefully) fruitful weekend.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I kinda feel the same way... Meh. Just a sort of lackluster ending to the week.

I think I'm gonna call it a night, guys. By the way, you all rock, I love this thread. :) Thanks for being so welcoming and such. The wait is getting a little tiring, but keep on trucking. Shulk is coming, I just know it. Here's to a (hopefully) fruitful weekend.
Here, here. *downs glass*

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I dunno about that, I think UI is interesting. There is a heck of a lot of work that goes into something that goes unnoticed. (Maybe appreciating UI is just a side-effect of my degree... I'd still rather a Shulk reveal.)

We're getting to the pointy end anyway, so hopefully we'll get some good info whilst keeping enough secret to still be surprising.

On a separate note, while I was playing catch-up I noticed people saying there was going to be some kind of fightable Assist Trophy thing. Can someone fill me in on this, and if possible, provide a link? I just like to think I keep on top of this stuff, yet it's (awesome) news to me.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
isn't there a leak that hints "Ice with Music as the theme" for the next reveal, the majority thinks its the Ice Climbers & Rhythm Heaven stuff, but it would be amazing if its Valak Mountain & the Music part refers to Xenoblade in general

Most likely nothing, but who knows we Shulk supporters could outsmart Sakurai for once

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
isn't there a leak that hints "Ice with Music as the theme" for the next reveal, the majority thinks its the Ice Climbers & Rhythm Heaven stuff, but it would be amazing if its Valak Mountain & the Music part refers to Xenoblade in general

Most likely nothing, but who knows we Shulk supporters could outsmart Sakurai for once
Tis impossible. Doth Sakurai is too smart.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that getting a picture of the main menu is pretty significant. It helps us speculate a lot more about what we can expect.
First of all, challenge mode? I assume that'll be like all-star and everything but I would've assumed that that would be under Smash.
Games & More is a tad vague, we could see something similar to the coin shooter game from Brawl I guess?
Also, Wii U icon is pretty small. The fact that it's the same size as the Streetpass one suggests that whilst there will be cross-platform interaction it won't be very significant. Although i'm not entirely sure how they'd go about it... Maybe sharing data or something to do with Amiibo?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd say that getting a picture of the main menu is pretty significant. It helps us speculate a lot more about what we can expect.
First of all, challenge mode? I assume that'll be like all-star and everything but I would've assumed that that would be under Smash.
Games & More is a tad vague, we could see something similar to the coin shooter game from Brawl I guess?
Also, Wii U icon is pretty small. The fact that it's the same size as the Streetpass one suggests that whilst there will be cross-platform interaction it won't be very significant. Although i'm not entirely sure how they'd go about it... Maybe sharing data or something to do with Amiibo?
Games & More could be where modes like Home Run and Break the Targets are found too. It sounds a bit like a "put everything in that doesn't fit anywhere else" menu.

Challenges could be where event matches are found. (I guess thinking about it, Home Run and Break the targets could be under challenges instead....)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Games & More could be where modes like Home Run and Break the Targets are found too. It sounds a bit like a "put everything in that doesn't fit anywhere else" menu.

Challenges could be where event matches are found. (I guess thinking about it, Home Run and Break the targets could be under challenges instead....)
Event Matches as well.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Even though there's nothing about SDCC, I'm still looking forward to watching the tournament for additional gameplay. Who knows what the "few surprises" actually are? Can range from a newcomer to nothing.

I really liked the menu POTD.

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU Prior to the start of your time line there were Xenoblade character mii's posted, the creation of Neyn, Discussions of every character as Shulk with different names (someone actually posted a hilarious picture but I forgot who), discussions of every character as Shulk with different names (someone actually posted a hilarious picture but I forgot who) and Xenoblade X Pokemon hence leading to ditson. I feel like something else might be missing but that should be everything.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Speaking of Allstar mode, if its similai
Even though there's nothing about SDCC, I'm still looking forward to watching the tournament for additional gameplay. Who knows what the "few surprises" actually are? Can range from a newcomer to nothing.

I really liked the menu POTD.
How long until the tournament btw?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Speaking of Allstar mode, if its similai

How long until the tournament btw?
It is either at 2:30 EST or 3:00 EST. I'll double check

Edit: From
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rnament_and_smash_bros_live_broadcast_details

"Perhaps most exciting is the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS tournament, in which attendees will duke it out to stand tall as one of the earliest champions in the portable entry of the series. The company has now confirmed when live streams of the contest will kick off — it'll be on the Nintendo Twitch channel over two days, starting on Friday 25th July at 11:30 Pacific / 14:30 Eastern / 19:30 UK / 20:30 CET."

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading somewhere that on the 3ds version you could customize your character more than on the WiiU version, and then transfer that data to your WiiU.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman

Well Gamefaqs and Youtube is full of negative nancies. Like "hurpadurp the crap's this compassion bullcrap, where's the violence, when can i have bland characters with no character development"
And that cutscene, if I had to choose a favorite, would be it.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well Gamefaqs and Youtube is full of negative nancies. Like "hurpadurp the crap's this compassion bullcrap, where's the violence, when can i have bland characters with no character development"
And that cutscene, if I had to choose a favorite, would be it.
That is definitely one of my favorites too.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Look!
A private video on Nintendo's channel?
It's in the Game Trailers playlist... OMG.
Will we get Shulk today?
I WANT TO BELIEVE

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU Prior to the start of your time line there were Xenoblade character mii's posted, the creation of Neyn, Discussions of every character as Shulk with different names (someone actually posted a hilarious picture but I forgot who), discussions of every character as Shulk with different names (someone actually posted a hilarious picture but I forgot who) and Xenoblade X Pokemon hence leading to ditson. I feel like something else might be missing but that should be everything.
Not to sound like I doubt you, but are you certain that's it? People seemed to be taking this as something Sakurai had stated. I'd find a quote, but I'm not going back into the thread, that place scares me.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Sakurai? Everything I just posted were topics of conversation within this thread, similar to what you posted. I simply wanted to add to it. Sorry if my wording was awkward/confusing.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Sakurai? Everything I just posted were topics of conversation within this thread, similar to what you posted. I simply wanted to add to it. Sorry if my wording was awkward/confusing.
I misread, I thought you were responding to my post about whether Assist Bosses were a thing, not my mega-list about the last three days. My mistake!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I just hope we get Shulk soon, if just so I can see him in Brawl in the Family before it ends.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Brawl in the Family is ending?

Anyway, yeah, I want to see Shulk soon, if only so I can obsess about other possible new comers for a while.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Brawl in the Family is ending?

Anyway, yeah, I want to see Shulk soon, if only so I can obsess about other possible new comers for a while.
Brawl in the Family is ending? Aw man, that's a bummer. I hope he'll keep going to September at least, so we can get an "all characters ever" finale, but that's just wishful thinking, and I obviously don't want to expect something like that.

Did he give a date for when he's retiring from it?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Brawl in the Family is ending? Aw man, that's a bummer. I hope he'll keep going to September at least, so we can get an "all characters ever" finale, but that's just wishful thinking, and I obviously don't want to expect something like that.

Did he give a date for when he's retiring from it?
He said he wanted to end the comic around the end of the year; finishing with a story arc.

"Brawl in the Family will be ending later this year. Today’s strip is not the last comic, though! We’ll still be updating for a couple more months!"

"There aren’t many strips left, but I’m going to end this comic right. There will definitely be a final story arc, at least. You’ll know when it’s ending; it won’t be a sudden—like, Kirby eats something and then HEY THAT’S IT, THANKS FOR READIN’. It’ll be end-y."

So the "All characters ever" finale is a possibility. It would be pretty epic. I'm kinda sad though this comic ends; I always really liked reading it :c

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So here's a question for you guys:

What were you guys' thoughts on Shulk sparing Mumkhar's life at Sword Valley? I heard some people complaining that Shulk was being too soft on him and Dunban was being a pushover. Seems like most people didn't like that scene... I thought it was great. Am I in the minority or what?
That scene was hated? That's my favorite scene in the whole entire game.
The whole game up until that point was defeating Metal Face to avenge Fiora. Now that you see that she's alive and that Mumkhar is indeed Metal Face, it puts in a whole new perspective on your ultimate goal. What will avenging Fiora do now? Is killing Mumkhar worth it, now that we know that he isn't some mindless robot?

I felt as though that scene in Galahad Fortress was powerful. It developed Shulk into a hero with a goal; a goal to find out why the Bionis and the Mechonis are still fighting and trying to put an end to it. I also viewed it as Shulk killing Mumkhar will not make him any better than he is. While Mumkhar has committed terrible crimes and violent actions, Shulk would be no better than him by killing him. In a way, Shulk killing Mumkhar would make him Metal Face; he doesn't have the giant Mechon robot that Mumkhar has with Metal Face, but Shulk would nearly be his equal by killing Mumkhar. So, Shulk would be a terrible monster like Mumkhar is by killing him. At least, that is how I interpreted it. That moment actually solidified Shulk as one of my favorite video game characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I thought that scene resonated extremely well with the game's theme. It also gave Shulk alot more definable character (even though he had plenty) and made it not just a blind mission for revenge, and put everything into perspective.

Why exactly was Dunban a pushover there, anyway? He didn't surrender easily, and what was he going to do if he didn't? Kill Shulk because he was in the way of him killing Mumkhar? It was just Mumkhar after all.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Look!
A private video on Nintendo's channel?
It's in the Game Trailers playlist... OMG.
Will we get Shulk today?
Don't hype yourself too much I don't want you guys to burn yourselves out in the span of only 3.5 hours before the tournament thinking it's #DittsonFriday.
uh, bad example. It's always Dittson day. And Dittson month. Don't burn yourselves out thinking it's #FaceFriday

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
I don't know about you guys, but the thing that set apart Shulk to me from the rest of basically any hero of any story is what he chooses to do with his visions. While many would keep that ability secret, which would cause trouble down the road, Shulk starts to at first, but then realizes that it's most important for his ability to be useful. Y'know, like in Harry Potter: Harry tries to hide his nightmares from help "so he doesn't worry anyone." Shulk does this at first, but then realizes that's stupid, and goes on to tell his friends about the visions.

To me, that's what set him apart at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom