• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
It's just another Monado Monday
I wish it were Reynday
'Cause that's my fun day
My I don't have to Neynday
It's just another Monado Monday
So, was today technically #NeynTimeMonday attempting to take our #MonadoMonday?

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
From what I've gathered up, it seems like Sakurai announces at least one new/returning character (or a few, depending on the occasion) every month.

The Terminator Train theory:

E3 2013 (June): Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man are announced to join the fray! Some of the newcomers from the past games (Mario, DK, Pit, Link, Samus, Bowser, Kirby, Pikachu) are confirmed as well.

July 2013: Olimar was confirmed to return

August 2013: Luigi was confirmed due to 2013 being The Year of Luigi.

September 2013: Peach was confirmed. Toon Link was also confirmed to return later that month due to Wind Waker being released in Japan.

October 2013: Sonic is announced.

November 2013: Marth is confirmed to return.

December 2013: Rosalina and Luma are announced. Zelda is confirmed later that month due to Zelda: Link Between Worlds being released in Japan.

January 2014: King Dedede is confirmed to return as a celebration of Kirby Triple Deluxe being released in Japan. Lucario is also confirmed to return later that month.

February 2014: Little Mac is confirmed to return. Diddy Kong is also confirmed to celebrate the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze being released in EU and NA.

March 2014: No new characters :/

April 2014: Nintendo Direct 4/8 confirmed Greninja, Charizard, Sheik, Yoshi and ZSS.

May 2014: Ike is confirmed to return.

E3 2014 (June): Palutena, Mii Fighters and Pac-Man are announced.

July: Robin, Lucina and Captain Falcon are announced. (Fun fact: Fire Emblem and F-Zero debuted in 1990. This is a probable reason for including Captain Falcon in the trailer).

August: ???

If Sakurai is a fan of anniversary stuff, then Shulk could be announced next month, since Xenoblade was first localized/released in Europe on August 11th, 2011.

If this is true, then...my friends....

WE GET ANOTHER MONADO MONDAY :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

(August 11th falls on a Monday this year :p )
Ohh that's why people are talking about August? It is the 19th though, which is a Tuesday.

ThomasTerminator

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
Wait, isn't it August 19th, though?

Edit: Also, from the Challenger Approaching Tumblr

July 14th marks the anniversary of these Japanese release dates:

• Pokedex 3D Pro/Tretta.
  • F-Zero X.
  • Super Mario All-Stars.
  • Mario Bros for the Arcade.
And July 15th is the release anniversary of:

• the Famicom Console.
  • Fire Emblem: Tharcia 776 AND New Mystery of the Heroes.
Does this explain why we got what we got?
Ah yes, it was the 19th. My bad :S I skimmed through and was too excited. whoopsie xD

and I believe that's the case, yes. I'm not sure though xD

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Is that what we're thinking now? I'm going to return to thinking he'll end up being an unannounced secret character but I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him in August.

Basically I'm keeping my hype low but as soon as a Direct is announced I'll get all over-excited >.>

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, sorry if this was asked, but I would like to know:

Who would be the best unconfirmed veteran to be revealed alongside Shulk? Who would fit best alongside Shulk?

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Aren't most reveal dates for smash 4 based on Japanese anniversaries? The game was released in June 10 in Japan apparently, would have been a perfect E3 reveal.
Well, Pacman and Miis were pretty big, plus Sakurai had to get Palutena out to answer all the leaks.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Aren't most reveal dates for smash 4 based on Japanese anniversaries? The game was released in June 10 in Japan apparently, would have been a perfect E3 reveal.
Diddy Kong was revealed on the US release of Tropical Freeze, so I guess it could go either way.

Who would be the best unconfirmed veteran to be revealed alongside Shulk? Who would fit best alongside Shulk?
R.O.B. makes sense.

ThomasTerminator

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628

IMO either Ness or possibly Mewtwo. All three of them of them have psychic powers.

EDIT: ROB could fit as well, since Shulk could mistaken him for a Mechon. lol

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246

Honestly I used to think no one really worked with him, and after today, I know no one has to. I mean, FE characters vs. Captain Falcon? Screw sense haha.

Personally I'd like to see him up against ROB though >.> wonder why...

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

Ice Climbers work because of Valak Mountain, R.O.B. works because Mechon, the big ol' Dorf would be nice if he had a sword this time 'round, Jigglypuff and Riki OTP, Meta Knight, Falco, and then there's Ness. Because Shulk CAN SEE THE FU-TURE!

he's psychic, get it?

Seriously, though, I feel like Ice Climbers or R.O.B. work best in terms of scenes I can imagine happening.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Actually a sword-wielding Dorf battle would be really cool. But, as much as I hate to say this, I kinda don't wanna see any more sword users beyond Shulk >.> I'd prefer they gimme pig Ganon and then he'd still work against Shulk if you ask me.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Actually a sword-wielding Dorf battle would be really cool. But, as much as I hate to say this, I kinda don't wanna see any more sword users beyond Shulk >.> I'd prefer they gimme pig Ganon and then he'd still work against Shulk if you ask me.
I'd actually like Wind Waker Dorf. He has TWO swords. Or, I don't know, a legitimate mage Dorf? Or maybe Sakurai could just freakin' throw in Demise with an ultra greatsword and not give a crap? The most depressing thing about Dorf in Smash is that he actually has tons of potential movesets, yet he doesn't get any. We don't need pig Ganon. We don't need Demise either. I just want my Dorf, man.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've personally always kinda preferred Pig Ganon as a villain, so I guess that's where my desire stems from. But yeah, poor Dorf has been relegated to clone status simply because he began as a last minute addition. Almost makes you wish he wouldn't have been added in Melee at all.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I've personally always kinda preferred Pig Ganon as a villain, so I guess that's where my desire stems from. But yeah, poor Dorf has been relegated to clone status simply because he began as a last minute addition. Almost makes you wish he wouldn't have been added in Melee at all.
Almost. The fact that Dorf hasn't been revealed yet, gives me hope for change, though. Pig Ganon could be cool, but with Bowser and possibly Ridley, I want a humanoid villain.:ganondorf:

P.S. Seeing him fight Shulk would be amazing.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Hey that looks not entirely unlike my weird chibi-Shulk from my dream last night. Maybe these are signs! XD

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
While R.O.B. would be a fair candidate, I could definitely see Ice Climbers duking it out with Shulk on Valek Mountain.
Would really only apply if that was the stage we got from Xenoblade though right? I suppose they could put it in just for the trailer, but it seems unlikely and honestly Valek Mountain is my leas favorite area by a stretch so I'd be let down personally.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
So I was doing some math in my head, I realized that with the 11 confirmed newcomers and the returninfg vets (I think we can all agree at this point the only vets getting cut are Squrtile, Ivysaur and Snake) the roster is 47. Before the Gematsu leak RIP in peace this was the number most assumed. But we know we're getting more newcomers. At this point I think the roster will be 51, which means four more newcomers. Personally I think we'll get two more trailers (I know some don't like the idea of only two secret newcomers but I doubt we'll get more than 51 characters). I think the four will be Ridley, Dixie Kong, a Rhythm Heaven rep and Shulk. I can see one newcomer video next month and then one right before the 3DS version comes out in Japan. I won't speculate on who gets a video since my pockets are still filled with salt from this morning, but despite being a bit down today I still think Shulk has a shot despite not having any REAL evidence (like Sakurai hinting in POTD or in game items or trophies).

TL;DR You guys helped me calm down, I still think Shulk has a shot, don't let me down now.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Would really only apply if that was the stage we got from Xenoblade though right? I suppose they could put it in just for the trailer, but it seems unlikely and honestly Valek Mountain is my leas favorite area by a stretch so I'd be let down personally.
Greninja's trailer didn't have anywhere specific. If it makes you feel better, they could fall from Valak Mountain, land on Ridley, and then ride him down to Gaur Plains. :troll:

would be really awesome, if it happened

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So I was doing some math in my head, I realized that with the 11 confirmed newcomers and the returninfg vets (I think we can all agree at this point the only vets getting cut are Squrtile, Ivysaur and Snake) the roster is 47. Before the Gematsu leak RIP in peace this was the number most assumed. But we know we're getting more newcomers. At this point I think the roster will be 51, which means four more newcomers. Personally I think we'll get two more trailers (I know some don't like the idea of only two secret newcomers but I doubt we'll get more than 51 characters). I think the four will be Ridley, Dixie Kong, a Rhythm Heaven rep and Shulk. I can see one newcomer video next month and then one right before the 3DS version comes out in Japan. I won't speculate on who gets a video since my pockets are still filled with salt from this morning, but despite being a bit down today I still think Shulk has a shot despite not having any REAL evidence (like Sakurai hinting in POTD or in game items or trophies).

TL;DR You guys helped me calm down, I still think Shulk has a shot, don't let me down now.
Rhythm Heaven rep is pretty solid at this point and Shulk and Ridley both have a good backing (Ridley has humongous Western backing and Shulk has humongous Japan backing). I'm not 100% on Dixie if only because I feel like Sakurai doesn't need to save her for one of the last ones. Still, I am not the Sakurai.

TL;DR Things are looking pretty good, but Sakurai is unpredictable.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I've been a lurker here, but I stayed a lot recently because of the Shulk hype thread! I was also expecting Shulk to be revealed but even though it wasn't him, it was actually better! Robin looks great to play! And I also think that the leak is disproven, though Shulk still has a very very big chance! Here's to anticipation for the August Direct, or for the launch if ever he is hidden! :)

Jje09

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why but with 4 fire emblem characters i feel like we could get two xeno characters.
I just really wanna hear Shulk and Reyn talk again

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why but with 4 fire emblem characters i feel like we could get two xeno characters.
I just really wanna hear Shulk and Reyn talk again
I predict if ever there will be 2 reps, it will be Shulk and Riki. Reyn for Final Smash or Assist Trophy maybe....

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
My guess would be Shulk and Elma, if anything, but I honestly only expect Shulk.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking shulk and 7 would be cool.

EDIT: Or better yet...Shulk and Juju :troll:
Hahaha! Unexpected. With Seven, problems are going to be spoilers.... But we know Sakurai don't give an f about them. :)) I assumed Riki because if you go to the Monolith Soft website, they are very fond of Riki, being it like a mascot. AND there are Nopons in Xenoblade X as well!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hahaha! Unexpected. With Seven, problems are going to be spoilers.... But we know Sakurai don't give an f about them. :)) I assumed Riki because if you go to the Monolith Soft website, they are very fond of Riki, being it like a mascot. AND there are Nopons in Xenoblade X as well!
I dislike Riki so much I don't see how he is so popular.
No offense to anyone who likes him I... Just don't.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Even though I've never played Xenoblade and Shulk is alien to me, he seems cool. Add me to the support list!

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well if i'm correct Coro Coro will show the full 3DS game, so maybe Shulk will get the Melee Fire Emblem threatment in that version & in October a full fledged trailer for the WiiU version due thats were he has his roots anyway

Staarih

Smash Master
So, CoroCoro is going to leak all the Smash 4 characters next month(it should be around the 10th)
I assumed the translation is a bit iffy, and it could mean that it just shows all the characters revealed at that point. As in, basically the ones we have now (plus anyone revealed between now and CoroCoro, likely nobody).

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Also did Sal Romano responded already regarding the lack of Shulk, due he contacted the leaker yesterday. The only thing I see popping up is something from 4chan that says he mistook him for Robin, but well its 4chan:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom