• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
So more similar to ike.
I would imagine that his feel would be a lot like Ike's, but of course with specials more based around his abilities from Xenoblade. I could see him having a counter for a down-special like Ike because of Shulk's ability to see the future and all, but his other specials would likely be original. Or something like that. Yeah.

Shroob

Sup?
I would imagine that his feel would be a lot like Ike's, but of course with specials more based around his abilities from Xenoblade. I could see him having a counter for a down-special like Ike because of Shulk's ability to see the future and all, but his other specials would likely be original. Or something like that. Yeah.
I'd actually think Monado Shield would be his Down B.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, I've always felt like Shulk would end up feeling like a buffed Ike... *sigh* :(

@ Sheddy Sheddy - *metalfacegross. The "facegross" part just makes it sound like he's ugly :p

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Don't fulkle with Shulkle.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Portability?
Maybe it's set to last for a certain amount of time and/or damage? Like when it runs out of time or takes too much percent, it breaks? But it would have to have some kind of check... Maybe slowing movement down or not being able to use other specials while it's up? Uhdunno.

Reflects damage back at the attacker? Not sure. While it's only a normal shield, I bet Sakurai could think of something.
True, Whatever Sakurai ends up doing will be good because Sakurai's good like that and, well... Shulk.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I feel like Shulk would move a lot faster then Ike personally.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Strangly enough that reminds me. I've seen people say Shulk is a stupid name. What do you guys think? I think it sounds awesome.
The things that people complain about... Shulk is an awesome name!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I have literally had a 256 like increase in a single day.
You guessed it.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I have literally had a 256 like increase in a single day.
You guessed it.
Hype gives everyone a surge in likes. But it's not like we can cash in likes for stuff, so meh. Likes don't matter too much :p

I just want it to be Monday already, but sadly, it's not even Sunday yet. Not in my time zone anyway.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Shulk IS kind of a silly name.

But, Shulk owned it and now it's tough to gripe about such a minor thing but when the character who dons the name is so damn cool. Honestly I think all the Xenoblade names are pretty weird and when I first heard them I would chuckle, now they grew on me for sure.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I think shulk has enough they could do from his game to make him feel diferent then the other pure sword fighters personally

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hype gives everyone a surge in likes. But it's not like we can cash in likes for stuff, so meh. Likes don't matter too much :p

I just want it to be Monday already, but sadly, it's not even Sunday yet. Not in my time zone anyway.
Likes are the only things that matter. this is a joke

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
There's no excuse for Shulk to fight like other sword fighters at all. He could honestly be given a moveset that barely even uses his sword, at least, not to do simple slashes.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Guys, guys, I think I finally figured out a move to represent his seeing the future! Down B, call it "The Future Doesn't Belong To You"! Instead of a straight up counter, it is an auto-counter or auto-dodge against the next attack against you!

Finally. Something that seems to work.

domokl

Smash Lord
So since it is probably shulk reveal on Monday and from what I've seen in the games he seems pretty dang cool I will support!#monadomonday!!!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Likes are the only things that matter. this is a joke
I like your joke so I like your post, butter my toast (had to keep the rhyme going).

There's no excuse for Shulk to fight like other sword fighters at all. He could honestly be given a moveset that barely even uses his sword, at least, not to do simple slashes.
If there's anything that would actually upset me, it would be Shulk playing like other swordsmen. Can't ignore Arts (Monado and Normal Arts). Thankfully, he WON'T turn out like anyone else.

@ Bosspon Bosspon - Well, you'd have to provide drawbacks of the move. If you can just input Down-B, and Shulk will automatically counter/dodge the next attack that comes his way, that'd be pretty broken. Plus, what determines whether or not he strikes or dodges? Not trying to shut things down immediately, I like when people come up with ideas. Just curious on more details is all.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys, guys, I think I finally figured out a move to represent his seeing the future! Down B, call it "The Future Doesn't Belong To You"! Instead of a straight up counter, it is an auto-counter or auto-dodge against the next attack against you!

Finally. Something that seems to work.
Or it could just be monado armor and absorb what ever the next attack is.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I like your joke so I like your post, butter my toast (had to keep the rhyme going).
With that being said, I must really go to bed. (It's 4AM here) So see ya guys!

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

If there's anything that would actually upset me, it would be Shulk playing like other swordsmen. Can't ignore Arts (Monado and Normal Arts). Thankfully, he WON'T turn out like anyone else.

@ Bosspon Bosspon - Well, you'd have to provide drawbacks of the move. If you can just input Down-B, and Shulk will automatically counter/dodge the next attack that comes his way, that'd be pretty broken. Plus, what determines whether or not he strikes or dodges? Not trying to shut things down immediately, I like when people come up with ideas. Just curious on more details is all.
Probably would have to have a timer of ten seconds. And I was saying counters or dodges because I wasn't sure which one would be more useful and/or less broken. Downside could be that if you aren't attacked within that time frame, you take a set percent of damage.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Probably would have to have a timer of ten seconds. And I was saying counters or dodges because I wasn't sure which one would be more useful and/or less broken. Downside could be that if you aren't attacked within that time frame, you take a set percent of damage.
Hm...are you allowing Shulk to perform any actions during this ten second period when "The Future Doesn't Belong To You" is active?

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I think his down B could be either Monado Speed, Shield or Armour. Give it some kind of charging animation, and if Shulk manages to pull it off without getting hit, he gets invincibility or reduced damage for a few seconds. Unique and sticks to canon! Perfect.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Hm...are you allowing Shulk to perform any actions during this ten second period when "The Future Doesn't Belong To You" is active?
yeah I think it would be more balanced if
1. you can't move or attack while using it
2. if it is a dodge and not a actual counter

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, moving would probably be allowed, but attacking would probably cancel out the move. If that's the case, then it would probably have to be an auto-counter so it at least is able to pack a punch. Gah, I don't know. I'm not the Sakurai.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing under 10% of this board has played Xenoblade and this easily the most obscure newcomer so far. So I would love to see the thoughts and reactions of people. Oh and if you're not up to speed Shulk is nearly confirmed thanks to a retweet https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda

Just say your thoughts on the character now (be honest), then edit in your thoughts after the trailer!

Before: Super stoked! This has been my most wanted newcomer from day 1. I've finished the game almost 3 times. He'll be my definite main, no matter how bad he is. I can attest to that because I even stuck with Falcon through brawl :).

edit: This post/thread was moved, so if this and the next several posts seem kinda random, yeah xD

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
All this positivity towards Shulk being announced Monday makes me sad and scared because of the possibility of him not being announced on Monday. Stop being so positive, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom