• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hawaii smashers where you at?!?!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
That tournament was crazy fun. Having friends along really increased the fun to over 9000, and I was very happy to see Kyle AKA AquaClouds get 4th place. For getting eliminated, I couldn't feel better about who did it, considering I lost first to 1st place, then to 2nd place, Brandon and Alvin. I feel that, had I understood the Yoshi MU better, I could have beat Alvin, but as it is, I didn't. I feel my best accomplishments came after the tourney, however. Those matches against you guys, Brendan and Thomas, we're really fun. Sonic has always been really hard for me to fight, so beating yours was a high point. Your Pikachu is still scary as heck, I really should have utilized my Arts better. Ness is another character I need more practice against. Connor's Kirby as well as yours were both very strong, I just barely won those matches.

Brendan, I looked at your tier list again, and I gotta say, either I should feel very proud, or you really need to rearrange it. You have Shulk way down in C tier, yet he eked out a victory against A-rank ZSS. Robin being in D-Tier is a farce, too. I played some matches against AquaClouds after the tourney, and I won three games out of three, two with Robin and one with Shulk. Your Diddy was super scary, I saw so many things I really shouldn't have done in that match. And if you solo main Sheik, man, I'm gonna have to step up my training.

Just so you know, you still haven't seen the full power of Hilo side. >:-D Still gotta get McDolo over there, my friends all agreed he probably would have snagged first or second.

I'm still the only Ka'u player I know, lol.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
I totally agree with that man, that was one of the most fun tourneys yet! Despite the competition being not as hard as it has been in the past. After I beat thomas I was wondering what I would do with my first place prize money. It was really great that hilo came over to come and see the competition. I really wanted to play against aquacloud. The other hilo players where cool, but i wanted to play that marth. But this tournament wasnt just missing some of hilos main competition... We where missing 4 of our top 6 players. Only Me and thomas where there to represent west side.
:4miisword:But over all man, the power ranking is dominated by west side. So either You and Aquacloud need to keep it up (get top 5 finishes, or beat some top players). Or Mcdolo can show up and attempt to beg me for a stock:yeahboi:. But yeah, we are going to start chanigng the power ranking around if top players dont go to tourneys. Because Alvin (AKA Chuck, who got second place) got second place over 1738, So we might neeed to make room for him on the top 6 or make it top 7. IM gonna have to see how he has stacked up against top players in the past brackets.

:4miisword: Also, Talking about the tier list. IMHO every character is viable at a reasonably high level, besides some exceptions. ( :4ganondorf::4mewtwo:) They are absolute garbage in my oppinion. So my tier list is basically, 3 tiers, Exceptional with almost everymatchup, Can be used at high level, and ganon/mewtwo. But honeslty, concerning our scene, I think in general we need to focus less on tier lists and mroe on upping our thought process and such.
Like, I know my weakness is the neutral. If my opponent does not make mistakes that are punishable, I lose. Thats why i lose to D4nk_m3mes 50% of the time. He doesnt make anough mistakes for me to punish, So he ends up punishing my very flawed neutral. So for anbody who wants to beat me, now you know.
:4sheik: Ps, cant wait to destroy Mcdolo next tourney.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I totally agree with that man, that was one of the most fun tourneys yet! Despite the competition being not as hard as it has been in the past. After I beat thomas I was wondering what I would do with my first place prize money. It was really great that hilo came over to come and see the competition. I really wanted to play against aquacloud. The other hilo players where cool, but i wanted to play that marth. But this tournament wasnt just missing some of hilos main competition... We where missing 4 of our top 6 players. Only Me and thomas where there to represent west side.
:4miisword:But over all man, the power ranking is dominated by west side. So either You and Aquacloud need to keep it up (get top 5 finishes, or beat some top players). Or Mcdolo can show up and attempt to beg me for a stock:yeahboi:. But yeah, we are going to start chanigng the power ranking around if top players dont go to tourneys. Because Alvin (AKA Chuck, who got second place) got second place over 1738, So we might neeed to make room for him on the top 6 or make it top 7. IM gonna have to see how he has stacked up against top players in the past brackets.
:4miisword: Also, Talking about the tier list. IMHO every character is viable at a reasonably high level, besides some exceptions. ( :4ganondorf::4mewtwo:) They are absolute garbage in my oppinion. So my tier list is basically, 3 tiers, Exceptional with almost everymatchup, Can be used at high level, and ganon/mewtwo. But honeslty, concerning our scene, I think in general we need to focus less on tier lists and mroe on upping our thought process and such.
Like, I know my weakness is the neutral. If my opponent does not make mistakes that are punishable, I lose. Thats why i lose to D4nk_m3mes 50% of the time. He doesnt make anough mistakes for me to punish, So he ends up punishing my very flawed neutral. So for anbody who wants to beat me, now you know.
:4sheik: Ps, cant wait to destroy Mcdolo next tourney.
Lol, what makes you think McDolo will have to beg? I took a stock of Sheik using Shulk of all characters, I'm sure he could do better. His Jiggly and Falcon take no survivors. Convincing him to go to Kona though... Is about as hard as JV3ing him.

Interesting, AquaClouds wanted to play you too, but I guess you guys never got around to it...? I have every intention of continuing to do well at tourneys. It remains to be seen if I can get to this month's monthly, though. College has been hectic, it was a miracle I got to Extra Life, tbh.

Really, I'd say you should devise some sort of points system for the power rankings. Maybe only include top X placements in calculation, or last X placements. Perhaps introduce a decay mechanic, like on Anther's Ladder, where each tournament missed docks X points, so that people can't rest on their laurels.

Yeah, I'm weak in the neutral against rushdowns more than anyone else. I have tools, but I don't have experience against them. I made a grave mistake by experimenting against your Sheik with a new tactic rather than following my bread'n'butter flow for the fight. (Shield art sucks at the beginning of a match, why did I listen to SmashBoards...)

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
(I know Mcdolo wont have to beg for a stock, Just doing it for the smack talk) yeah it would be a miracle if Mcdolo could make it to this monthly. I would be so happy, cuz honestly I want to be beat... I want to be driven to beat somebody. Mcdolo actually really inspired me at the start of the scene at 4PGC.
:4miisword:Also, yeah i noticed the intresting choice of sheild at the beginning of the match, and instantly was in love with the idea of the possibility of combos :dr^_^:. Sorry about how smash boards told you to. But anyway, One thing i love about our scene is the fact that i could be taken out at ny given moment. The competition is so tight and close in skill level. Like how your shulk did sneak a win over my ZSS. I mean ZSS isnt near my best, but still considering the matchup and all. Its kinda scary.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Who is ready for the monthly this sunday? (Mcdolo better be there). This should is looking like it will be one of the most challenging and intense tourneys yet. But try to get the word out as much as possible!!! Same place, 4 pillars card shop above KBXTREME.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Hmmm, not sure. I'd say the odds would be in favor of him going if he got a ride, but I haven't a clue what his school schedule is like next week. Heck, I haven't seen him for like, 7 weeks... He's around though, just never when I'm out of class. :p

Phungi Phungi yeah, you're right: this is going to be a challenging tourney. I feel I can confidently say that I'm at least second best at UH Hilo now, the only person I haven't 1v1'd is McDolo, and all the rest I've beat, or at least know their just casuals. That is, there are about 3 people I haven't played, but none of them are serious anyway. I hope your Sheik is up to snuff, 'cause my Monado won't lose to any but the best. You could say, I'm really feeling it.

I'm working on seeing if I can get there on Sunday, I just have to be able to get my take-home Calculus test done. Should be doable.

...I can try texting a friend of mine who sees McDolo more often than I do, have him ask McDolo if getting a ride would change anything.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yo yo yo, that tourney was pretty nuts. 12 players and the possibly the tightest competition we have had yet. We had almost all of our top players, with the exception of Alvin, Connor, Simon&Mark, clay, Aquacloud, Mcdolo, and expecially Trent. But the amount of top players was ridiculous : Phungi, Wind_hero, 1738, Dogisan(Derek), Homie ( Daniel), Chop, Joetel, Ryan(OG_mudbone), etc.
:4miibrawl: First off, I just wanna like express how cool it is that we jsut totslly found a top player out of absolutely nowhere. Joetel was so incredibly, as soon as he beat me in a marth ditto I was so scurred, i thought this tourney would be the my great fall of my reign. Joetel has amazing potential if he picks a main.
:4miisword: This makes me so excited for the future of the scene, realizing that there are people in the island that have such amazing potential, who just dont know we have a scene. We really have such a beautiful thing that us core 12-ish started fro scratch with the help of josh bishop and 4 pillars. it feels so good knowing tht I am part of such a cool thing.
:4miigun:On the topic of mains, personally, im gonna start dedicating most of my time into one or two characters. So dot excpect a new main every month like I usually do. I looking to take my skill to the next level, and i feel that doing this will definetly put me in the right position. The question is, who will be my secondary....
PS, Sorry about the terrible bracket ou got Chris, atleast we all know over here how good you really are. So dont feel bad bro.
Also, sorr for lenghty post, just wanted to cover most of what i wanted to say in bulk.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Heh, no prob. It wasn't completely the bracket's fault, though. I knew when I left that I probably wouldn't have time for warm up, but went anyway, and paid the price for it. Next time, I'll make a comeback, much like how thomas4america thomas4america did after his bust. This week, I finally got to play some friends again, and I was back in the groove. One guy quit after two matches so that he wouldn't get salty. I also got back in order on For Glory, had some really tight matches today. Even 2-stocked a Peach after a ridiculous Jump Art juggle of UTilt, UAir, UAir, a BAir at very high altitude, finishing with an Air Slash to catch her off-guard and seal the stock.

Yeah, Joetel was pretty sick. I didn't even know Ryu could cancel his DownB until I saw those shenanigans. I wanted to play his Marth so bad... Might I be right in supposing you picked up Marth after seeing Kyle's (Aquacloud's) Marth? Also, hopefully one of us can end your reign before you rack up a 50 win streak like ZeRo. :p

Daniel really wouldn't have won that set against me if I was in top shape. It was down to kill percent for both of us, and I really shouldn't have fished so much. But Ness and Lucas are just so darn annoying... Here's hoping Cloud is a good answer to those guys. (Smash broadcast when?)

Phungi, really, you said after the last tournament that you'd start solo maining Sheik. How do I know you're serious this time...?
I'm heavily tempted to pick up ZSS as a secondary, but still on the fence.

Heads up, with the next tourney being two days after Christmas, there's a good chance I might not make it for this one. Nothing is certain, but it doesn't seem likely.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
This tourney is gonna be good. Joetel is bringing alot of friends. And some ganon guy is coming who is mad good apperently.
We need to stream.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Aye, I'm working on this end to recruit some friends from Hilo. I think with winter break and all (lol "winter"), there might be a better chance. I myself am confirmed to be going, so here's to my hopeful comeback.

If you can't stream, try to at least enforce the saving of all replays. If they're under 3 minutes, you CAN upload them to YouTube. :D

For Glory is so Cloudy and overcast, and I must say I've added to that a bit. I mean, some random MK player beat my Shulk and Robin, but then I 2 stocked him with Cloud. Once counter strategies get made, though, I feel like Cloud will lose some of his luster. Unless ZeRo keeps putting out videos of sick combos and 0-deaths with Cloud...

On another note, I'm currently debating trying to host a tourney in Hilo. I don't have anything specific yet, it might not even go through. But who knows?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Hey, I think I'll get this out here now while there are still a few days before the tourney.

I did some research, and found what appears to be some of the most formal stage lists for Sm4sh WiiU, those from Apex 2015 and EVO 2015:

Apex: http://smashboards.com/data/sponsor/Apex2015Rulebookv2.pdf
Check page 16, they have it broken down, as well as stage banning technique.

EVO: http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/
Wayyy down at the bottom.

So, not sure if I entirely agree that KJ64 should be Doubles Only or even banned, but interesting none the less. I'm particularly interested to find that they say there should be two stage strikes as opposed to one. (Ironically, I know of some people who complain they want even more.) I wonder if self-destruct moves will now include Cloud's Climhazzar (UpB). I used it a few times, and have seen others use it, and even if you spike and carry people down with you while over the void, you die first.

Also, seriously wondering if my Smash game will be any good, what with hopeful Christmas gifts and lack of anyone to practice with locally.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Wait, is this a melee tournament? If so, when and where and what time does it start?
Actually, it's a Smash 4 (WiiU) tournament. I think someone set up Melee on the side once for freeplay though. As far as I know, the closest to a Melee tournament on the island in recent times was a Project M tournament in Hilo a couple months ago. You're still welcome to come, though!

It's at the 4Pillars Hobby Shop above the KB Extreme bowling alley near Longs and GameStop. Shop opens at 2 p.m., registration starts at 3.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, I have some friends in Hilo who feel the same way about Sm4sh. But stick around! There are some others around here like @Code Bread who like Melee and P:M. I myself finally got P:M Netplay working on my computer to play on Anther's Ladder, but the lag is so bad going to the mainland that I can only VS other people from Hawaii.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
We are making the PR soon.
The tournament had such an incredibly large amount of cempetition this time. With all the kealakehe alumni there mostly. They have all retained there skill to a degree, especially Chris aka BigPenguin:4falcon: and Daniel kim aka Shrek:4falcon::4dk:. Me and chris had a neck and neck match in losers finals. The amount of people was 22 in total im pretty sure. So yeah, good good competition, even including the fact that we where missing alot of players( Chop, Alvin , Clay, Trent, etc. ).
Congrats on the placing WindHero WindHero ! You are on the brink of top 3. also, we are making the PR and the general consensus is that you are number 5-8.
:4miibrawl:For me, performance wise. i was playing like a 70. I really didnt feel good, and i didnt know what character to play:4sheik::4diddy::4marth:... I was in shambles.
But thanks to an ok bracket and taking the advantage on many many many a close shave match. I narrowly squeezed out a second place. Although my reign is over, IM glad it was by tom. he deserved it.
Really good tourney. Im going to be on my A game next time.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Indeed, that was a really fun tourney. I felt like I did much better than usual, even if I usually am in 5th or 6th place. That first match with Josh's ZSS was incredibly tight, I honestly thought I wasn't gonna make it. Also, this is the third time that Daniel (Homie) has taken me out of loser's bracket. And it was closer than ever! Would that I hadn't fished too hard for the Finishing Touch KO, I probably would have won. I still feel I accomplished something by taking out Daniel's Falco with Cloud after he was bragging about destroying two other Clouds. Connor really needs to lay off the Climhazzard...

Tom was really on his game, that's for sure. I had no idea Pikachu had a death combo when walk-offs are present, never again will I try that... He did deserve that win.
I was surprised, it seemed like your character choices were pretty scattered. I mean, you almost always use a fair variety, but it seemed like you really weren't acting like you had a formal main. But hey, second place AND a Kirby Amiibo is something pretty sweet to walk away with.

PR update, eh? Hype!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Nice power rankings, feels a lot cleaner in the layout than last time. Thanks for remembering to put Robin in addition to Shulk! I feel privileged to even be on there at all, and it seems fairly accurate at this time. I'll keep training to climb higher, though! Also, Homie earned that spot, he's eliminated me from loser's three times now. Heck, he got second a while ago. I think Tom also has beat me 3 times in tournament as well... lol.

Interestingly, Ryan told me about a Shulk player over in Hilo, so I did some matches over wifi, and his Shulk is tight. Went 1-1 with him, though I solidly trashed his Cloud. However, it seems unlikely that he'd ever come over to Kona...
I tried getting some buds from Hilo to come over, but they just remained perfectly silent. smh...

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
As much as I wanted to go, I am fully swamped with homework, especially the final crunch for the group project due on Thursday and a finance test on Tuesday.

Next month I should be able to breathe again, hopefully I can get back in practice by then.
Are bi-weeklies still a thing? If so, when is May's mid-month tourney?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Mother's Day? Really? Here I thought it would be the 15th, then people could spend time with their mothers...

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Probably open, much more so than the 8th. It's the Sunday immediately after finals, so it would mean college couldn't interfere in any way. It almost would feel like a reward for finishing the semester. They crammed three of my finals on next Tuesday........

Probably gonna play some games with the Hilo guys on Thursday. I'm getting back in practice, I've even got RAR down finally.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
As a matter of fact, I was practicing a fair amount today in Hilo, and I also have been playing some FG over the last few days.
I'm really feeling back in the groove, and even have improved some of my fundamentals and tech abilities. Even landed some stylish Shulk plays in imitation of the European player Sodrek. (Check out his combo video; it will make you fear Shulk.)

I'm looking forward to next time I get up there for a tourney.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I'd like to say I am, but unfortunately, two things came up.

First, I just came down with a cold, not sure if I'll be better by Sunday.

Second, I have to go up to Waimea with my Mom over Sunday and Monday.

I'm sick of missing these, I'll try my hardest to make it to the last one this month though. I really wanna show off the new Shulk tech I've learned... School is great for killing Smash hype, yeah? Also, any word yet on whether there will be another 4PGC this summer? If anything could bring over the guys from Hilo, it'd probably be that. I made sure to pick up a few more cell numbers this semester so I could contact more of the Smash players about tourneys. That said, the Hilo scene has really dwindled. Pokemon, Fire Emblem Fates, Bravely Second, and League of Legends has kinda diverted their attention... But on the bright side, AquaClouds picked Marth back up, and I definitely feel that he does better than with ZSS. McDolo is still alive, but I also wasn't able to challenge him to Smash at all. He's way out of practice anyway, last time I saw him play was when Corrin came out. He was Nairing all over the place... And doing it well.

I myself am debating picking up Greninja, but I'm not really sure.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
:4greninja:greninja is super strong in the meta right now. Switching to him would be a a super good choice right now, especially compared to shulk. Greninja has great combos, high skill cap, incredibly runaway game, and good defensive and offensive options. and he has no terrible matchups. And he does good against rosa and bayo too, so thats a big plus. His worst matchups are probs ryu and luigi. greninja is definetly top 20 in the game right now IMO.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Yeah, I once had him as a secondary, before 4PGC. It's merely coincidence that I dropped him after Tom wrecked my Greninja there, nothing more. xD Really, I still feel that using the gamepad was a terrible idea, esp. with tap jump off.

I've been experimenting with him again though, and I must say he feels better than ever. (Well, he was broken in v1.0 of the 3DS version, but that was so long ago.) I don't think he would become another main for me, but he could easily become a pocket or a secondary. I still feel Shulk has loads of potential, and his skill cap is higher than even Greninja's, imho. Fun fact: There's a Shulk player on Anther's Ladder who is ranked 9th, and has reached 1st before. He's also ranked higher than any Sheik or Diddy player. B)

Greninja uses a fair number of footstool combos, and I really can't footstool reliably yet.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
:4shulk:Stick with the character you love bro, thats dope. But fair warning, Shulk has no fast moves what so ever, so you should try to wokr your best to find ways to not get comboed, or put yourself in disadvantage stage.
:4sheik: A good way to really improve is to find out the weaknesses and strenghts of your main. And play to those, and adjust your plastyle to those, an example would be that playing as an aggresive rosalina is almost the same as playing a mid tier due to rosalinas approach options being lackluster, but her defesive play is extremely highly rewarded.
:4cloud: Honestly, 100% gameplay wise, I would definetly recommend cloud to you, He is honestly a high tier version of shulk, with far more options, and already more advanced meta than shulk, with alot more pros to learn from. Just a recomendatioon, but maybe you would like him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom