• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hawaii smashers where you at?!?!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they just jump in without asking either. But it's all fun, so it's not a big deal. It's kinda neat that there's a new freshman at college who's been "inducted" into our group, and has started playing Smash 4. I'm hoping that I can whip some good habits into him while he's still learning the game. So far, it's working, and he's getting better at a good clip. Still, he's not done experimenting with the characters, though he's getting an inclination toward Fox or Sheik.

So. 3 character slots found. What characters do you guys hope will fill those slots? I actually voted for Sheena from Tales of Symphonia, but I already know she won't get in, lol. A lot of people seem to think Shovel Knight will get in, but I just can't help feeling he would be rather plain compared to the rest of the diverse cast. That said, if they have a alternate color for Black Knight, I could dig it. (Dig it? Unintentional puns to make Croaker proud.)

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
The new characters will be Shrek, Banjo-Kazooie, and Playstation All-Stars. Most definitely.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
How exactly is Playstation All-Stars a character...? And please, Shrek would fail to get in long before most anime characters. Have you even seen how many Brawl mods there are for Goku? I'd love for Heiwajima Shizuo (the guy in my avatar from Durarara!!) to get in, and he technically was in a video game. (Dengeki Bunko: FIGHTING CLIMAX. It was a fighter with characters from light novels...)

Ugh, I'm trying to review the basic techs from P:M. Is teching handled differently from Smash 4? I was playing last night, and I could swear I was pressing shield to tech, but not getting it sometimes.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
mfw people take my post seriously.

Tech timing is different in PM. Sm4sh uses weird mechanics for its techs, it's unlike the other smash games.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
If I understand it correctly... In Smash 4, you tech within x frames before hitting a surface, and in all the rest it's after hitting the surface...?

Also, I'm doing more research on Ike in PM. I like the flexibility Quick Draw seems to have, and his kill power rivals that of Smash 4 Roy. I'm also considering Roy and Charizard for PM, the latter mostly as a Marth counter and an all around gimper. The glide mechanic really adds a lot of mixup to the play, and lets him stay airborne extremely long compared to most of the other characters. Still, I'm going to take forever to learn L-Cancelling as a habit, which will also mess up my Sm4sh game. Seems like teching is way more important in PM, even the CPU punishes me endlessly when I miss techs.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I didn't know you weren't already accustomed to PM. Dunno where I got that impression, though.

Yes, as far as I know teching in sm4sh is buffered, whereas in the rest it's immediate. There's also some strange interactions with teching in sm4sh, how you can't tech a surface for X amount of frames after teching a surface within X frames. Not sure of specifics.

Ike in PM is ridiculous. The mobility and versatility of Quickdraw is so insane I can barely believe they would let it in while still keeping his KO power. I didn't know that Charizard can counter Marth; I would figure his gigantic frame and clunkier moves would makes him Marth combo food. Yeah, in the beginning the at's of PM and whatnot will mess with your sm4sh flow, at least in my experience. It should go away regardless of how much you play either games though; how much it affects your sm4sh game is basically the same as how much your skill decays over time so everyone is different.

Do you go to Friday PM at UH?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Sadly, no, I didn't get to go on Friday. Really, I can only justify special trips to Hilo or Kona by more important events. I can justify a tournament, but not really just a hangout. I also found out they were playing on Thursday, when I didn't have class due to a cancellation, yet I missed the memo. >:/

I'm accustomed to PM as much as I am to Smash in general. I know the basic knowledge that applies to all Smash games, but I don't have a ton of experience like I do with Sm4sh. However, I'm picking it up fast, I can pull off some L-Cancels when I remember, but I have no muscle memory. The defensive game is far harder for me than in 4, due to stuff like chain grabs, helpless state after air dodges, and general difficulty with juggles. Probably you thought I was accustomed to PM because I know a lot of the theory of playing it. I've read enough about it, and it isn't as if I've never played it.

Yeah, Charizard has several things going for him against Marth, including large range (DTilt, jab (no joke), Nair, Side B (requires a hard read though)), and he has a gimp game to make life offstage difficult for Marth. Plus, Charizard's Glide gives some aerial options that are surprisingly quick enough to make reaction a bit harder. He is in danger of comboing on the large frame side, but he's also quite floaty.

Ike really has some neat tricks, especially with QD for sure. RAR'ing is very important for sure. And a lot of people think that DSmash no longer hits behind Ike, but the truth is that the move was split up like Link's FSmash; second hit optional. And though it's unlikely to see either of them, he has two OHKO moves.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Well when I said accustomed to PM I meant specifically its unique mechanics.

thomas4america

Smash Cadet
If either of you are in Kona thursday, Josh is gonna have a smashfest of sorts at his house.
I'm not going to say that that Villager was a fluke, words don't really mean much. I'll just prove it at the next tourney.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I've been to something of that sort. Is it going to be like that time a bunch of people went to his place and played Magic, smash, League, CS:GO and all that stuff? Or it going to be specific to smash this time.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Man, as much as I'd like to go... I'm at college in Hilo all day on Thursdays. >.<
As I said, I can only really justify tournaments...

Playing with Ike in PM, and really trying to learn his QD techs. I'm started to get the hang of JC grab ooQD, but it's much harder to do QD JC USmash, let alone hit with it. DACUS... I haven't touched it. Also trying to get into RARing since I have an actual control stick when playing. (3DS master race)

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I never bothered learning DACUS because I never thought I need it. Since I might be maining Snake now I need to learn it but I rarely get to play.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
That's cool. Not sure if I'll be able to go; depends on my ride.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
So hyped for the next monthly! ive been learning a bunch of tech stuff and been finding new chars to have as side baes. Also insanely hyped for dlc characters, probably not gonna main, but there is a chance. If bomberman or :bubblebobble: That would be dope, I just want more :4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4samus::snake::ivysaur:/orcane from RoA. You know, with some sick setups.
But, im actually really excited for somebody to beat me. (i know it wont happen) but i like being the Zer0 of the island. I like pushing people for a goal, Beating me. I want to see the scene expand and grow in size and skill. I want us to become contendors with oahu and maybe other islands, if they have scenes. I already made our island a smash 4 Power ranking chart, with the input of many players and results from varying tournaments. I amd pretty proud of it, and we plan on making a facebook page for smash 4 on the big island. Ill try to attac a pic of our Power ranking. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lBvZq19QoEFcaDzLBuHUexvwBzqDIwxvVQAoYC-iRaU/edit#slide=id.p

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
So hyped for the next monthly! ive been learning a bunch of tech stuff and been finding new chars to have as side baes. Also insanely hyped for dlc characters, probably not gonna main, but there is a chance. If bomberman or :bubblebobble: That would be dope, I just want more :4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4samus::snake::ivysaur:/orcane from RoA. You know, with some sick setups.
But, im actually really excited for somebody to beat me. (i know it wont happen) but i like being the Zer0 of the island. I like pushing people for a goal, Beating me. I want to see the scene expand and grow in size and skill. I want us to become contendors with oahu and maybe other islands, if they have scenes. I already made our island a smash 4 Power ranking chart, with the input of many players and results from varying tournaments. I amd pretty proud of it, and we plan on making a facebook page for smash 4 on the big island. Ill try to attac a pic of our Power ranking. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lBvZq19QoEFcaDzLBuHUexvwBzqDIwxvVQAoYC-iRaU/edit#slide=id.p
Nuu, can't access the google docs, it isn't public... I sent an access request though.

I can relate to the process of finding new side characters. Currently, I'm returning to my roots and going back to my first Sm4sh main. Hopefully I'll be able to pull him out at the next 4PGC. :4shulk: is still around, but he's getting the back seat at the moment. Not sure, after my last tournament, I started feeling like my Shulk was getting worse instead of better. Whatever the results, I assure you that I will attempt to stay three steps ahead of you next time. I'm really focusing on my fundamentals, and I feel that Shulk's complex playstyle was demanding so much attention that I was neglecting them. I'm already giving the silly Sheik players on For Glory plenty of trouble. :)

ZeRo of the island? Don't get too far ahead of yourself now. I've seen people take games off of you, yet. I agree though, to challenge Oahu would be great.
Right now, I'm kinda bouncing between 2 solid mains and 3 secondaries for particular MUs...

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Nuu, can't access the google docs, it isn't public... I sent an access request though.

I can relate to the process of finding new side characters. Currently, I'm returning to my roots and going back to my first Sm4sh main. Hopefully I'll be able to pull him out at the next 4PGC. :4shulk: is still around, but he's getting the back seat at the moment. Not sure, after my last tournament, I started feeling like my Shulk was getting worse instead of better. Whatever the results, I assure you that I will attempt to stay three steps ahead of you next time. I'm really focusing on my fundamentals, and I feel that Shulk's complex playstyle was demanding so much attention that I was neglecting them. I'm already giving the silly Sheik players on For Glory plenty of trouble. :)

ZeRo of the island? Don't get too far ahead of yourself now. I've seen people take games off of you, yet. I agree though, to challenge Oahu would be great.
Right now, I'm kinda bouncing between 2 solid mains and 3 secondaries for particular MUs...
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lBvZq19QoEFcaDzLBuHUexvwBzqDIwxvVQAoYC-iRaU/edit?usp=sharing

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
So, how did the PM tournament in Hilo go yesterday? Unfortunately, I was unable to go... But all for the greater cause of hopefully being free to go to 4PGC again! I keep practicing, but lag makes for less-than-accurate results... Yet, my For Glory win rate is higher than ever.

Who won yesterday? Did Phungi Phungi or Code Bread Code Bread even attend?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Speaking of which, what is your win rate on For Glory? Phungi Phungi too.

I attended. I didn't enter though. Someone named Davin Khan (I think?) won, a massive upset over the expected first seed. Close games, last game of second set, 1 stock each. A randy fair in neutral took the money home.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Neat little vid they put together to advertise. I'm signing up for the Quest to hunt players from Hilo to attend. Will get back to the Guild later... I have one friend interested, so far. This youtube should help get more, I HOPE...

Code Bread Code Bread : Who was the first seed? I thought Khan was the guy hosting it... Argh, them fairs... Just ain't fair. :troll:
EDIT: Accidentally tagged a user named Cod... >.<

My FG rate? Bear in mind this is on 3DS... (Sadly, this guy has no Wii U)
Battles: 347
Victories: 178
Losses: 169
Win Rate: 51.29%
WR (Last 10): 90%
WR (Last 50): 78%
WR (Last 100): 52%

So yeah, most improvements have been recent. I had some nasty streaks close to launch...

Last edited:

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
I cant wait for this upcoming tournnament. It will be so hype, especially if some mystery contenders play. Like jeffen...
We just need to get the word out to schools and internet and posters, maybe even get something on the radio like last time.
I need to prepare an array of characters for the tournament. 3 is usually my best bet. But I am also really exited to see dereks :4falcon: and:4mario:. Extra life should be amazing if advertised right. We probably have around 20 smashers able to beat me on this island.
Somebody needs to step up before I get too cocky.
But in other news, My FoGlo record is pretty bad because i let pretty much anybody who comes over play for glory. So its not really MY record, its like my house'. Also, watch this sick Big House 5 clip. It really makes me want to expand our scene and go pro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8JLJGelQQ

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
First seed was James Komatsu. His tag is Japanese so I can't give it to you lol. I believe he's second best on the island, but I can't be sure. Tournament was hosted by someone named Tuan, who was essentially second seed. David's run was actually completely unexpected; he was an Ivysaur main until the day before the tournament and went on a tear as Zelda, dropping zero games until winners finals against Tuan's Shiek.

I haven't played FG in probably over half a year. I only have a 3ds too, I think my winrate was ~57%. If I played nowadays it'd probably drop to the low 40's lol. Heard it's gotten tougher and I haven't played in so long.

EDIT: Apparently Smashboards recognizes the squiggly "more or less" symbol as a minus sign. Weird af.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
inb4 someone you play regularly beats you as opposed to a "mystery contender". ZeRo finally lost to Nairo... Could it be Phungi's turn now? :troll:
I kid, I kid... But I really do wanna beat you. As I said, I've revived one of my old mains, recent buffs have made a big difference. Still haven't gotten around to adding a third main, though... I need a fast character with decent kill power, I think. Pit is nice, but... Getting that KO is harder than even with Fox.

Yeah, FG has gotten a bit tougher, due to a variety of things. The biggest part is that they now pair you up against people with similar win rates. So outside the fresh faces with wildly varying win rates, you usually get competent opponents once you get around 50%. An example of someone not so strong, I just had a match against a Mewtwo player... And I beat them with only 3% on me. Definitely saved that replay...

That's crazy... Winning with little use of your main?! Dannnnnnng....
We ought to play over wifi sometime, Code Bread Code Bread .

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
We could. Talking to you always gets me excited to play some sm4sh lol.

I don't think Zelda wasn't his main tbh. At the showcase on Friday he pulled out Zelda randomly and beat everyone with it, nobody had seen it before. Either he's just a god with Zelda naturally or he'd been practicing in secret. I don't accuse him of being a liar but the latter is just more likely. Didn't see his Ivysaur though.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Would that I had a Wii U and consistent enough internet to enter that...

Oh well, I'm trying to garner interest at UH for Extra Life, but a lot of complaints about driving distance are being made... smh

I have at least one person interested though, and he could interest others, I think... Upperclassmen really have more weight, imho.
Freshman who recently got into smash is getting good... He's even giving me a run for my money with his Marth.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
is he the one interested in Extra Life?
I wish. Nah, the guy interested is a third-year CS major who plays Marth in every game... But is far out of practice... Kyle, get it together...

Ironically, the freshman's name is Christian.. so if he went, that'd be another Chris playing. xD There are no fewer than 3 people short-named "Chris" in our group who play Smash.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
I cant wait for extra lyfe. The competition will be really tight. I could see my self getting top 3 but i dont know about first this time. I just feel mcompetition is catching up to me.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I cant wait for extra lyfe. The competition will be really tight. I could see my self getting top 3 but i dont know about first this time. I just feel mcompetition is catching up to me.
Haha... Who knows, perhaps someone will be able to beat you. I don't know, though... I think I better stop practicing on For Glory, my timing is getting messed up in local wireless... Still, I feel that the Jump art is really good when used right. Just this morning I hit someone right off screen, and still made it back to the stage. Also, hype on getting a New 3DS XL in a week. Finally, I'll have my C/Tilt-stick, and can do D-airs without fast falling unintentionally.

Fun fact of the week: Robin's Levin Sword Dair is a spike, but the accuracy of where you need to hit is extremely hard to nail.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Cant wait for the 17th. Im really hoping that this tourney has good and abundant turnout.
I have a very fun set of mains, now. Been working on my :4dk::4diddy::4sheik:. And a bunch of secondaries for matchups and people.
Pretty siked to actually be able to use my Dankey kang in tourney. Its sooo fun playing him. So yeah, this is the first time im giving away my mains. I dont like to, but meh.
But anyway Chris, hows it going with your smash training. any thoughts

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Don't you mean the 7th?

Things are going fairly well. The battle to get people to just 1v1 is real. I've got at least two people interested in coming, and they might bring some other of their friends. Who knows, tho.

Diddy and Sheik... You really are walking the path of the ZeRo, lol. A little surprised to see you playing Sheik again, but dw, I'll give that Sheik a much better fight than back at 4PGC. I'm gonna make sure that the audience gets to see a "non-threatening" character take out the No. 1 character. :drflip:

As far as my training goes... College be a time sink, for sure. Still, I'm making steady progress. My Shulk is in peak condition, and I'm learning more new tricks for my other main. Finally got the hang of the KO combo for that character, landed it on the best Marth player over on Hilo side. Actually, I got to play some matches on the Wii U over in the upper division CS lab earlier this week, so that was cool. I'm still playing with my secondaries as well: :4fox::4greninja::4pit::4link:

I was hoping to have my >new< 3DS XL by today so I could start getting accustomed to it, but oh well. The X button on my current 3DS has started firing twice from time to time, making edge-guarding fatal on occasion.

Phungi

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigfork24
Yo, Congrat on the tourney guys! It was incredibly fun during and especially after. (Friendlies afterwards where incredibly fun).
The upsets are so real with Alvin AKA Chuck, The :4yoshi: main overcoming Thomas AKA 1738, our second best player on the island. That was an incredibly close set that IMO should have ended differently.
Over all The tournament wasnt the biggest or grandest of the handful. But I loved how many talented new faces showed up. Many people from hilo came and Showed us that the hilo scene we have waited for is actually very competent. Like I recall that one of them got 4th place using :4marth: and another player who used :4samus: got in the top 8.
:4miisword:After the tournament I realized I love :4sheik:. My sheik was pretty on point during the tournament. So i might start solo maining for once in my life. So now on the Power ranking s i can be seen as a sheik main.

:disco: So we have been thinking as mostly a west side of the island group that we are gonna try to rally the money to start streaming. 300$ is what its gonna take for us to get professional level microphone, player cam, and elgato straming device.
But with all of this, we will be able to stream the tourney, so that people who cant make it to the tournaments can watch. And so that we can gain popularity for our scene. With this we can grow our scene, make it known, and find mroe and more players hiding in the cracks of the big island. right now we are just figuring out how to shell out the mons.

Top Bottom