• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Haven't made one of these in a while

RichBrown

Smash Master
So every now and then I like to make one of these, just general stuff that I think of

-Embrace the offensive decision. Holy ****, this has been so helpful for me. Seriously, I cannot express to you all enough how much of a breakthrough this has been for me. With Olimar it's easy to get scared because we lack priority, and once people get really close it's hard to get them out of our zone. I've found that instead of shielding, rolling, or spotdodging, sometimes it's better just to try to sneak in a smash attack (fsmash has been doing the trick). I've been dodging a lot less and attacking more, and I've found that I can hit people in situations I never thought they'd get hit in

-Nair. Let's talk about nair. The move autocancels beautifully when you shorthop-fastfall it, and is like a moving uptilt. Perfect for retreating and has a slightly deceiving hitbox. Not to mention it combos. Yay nair.

-Fsmash stuff: Man this might be the best move ever. I noticed though, it's better to fsmash somewhat earlier than we think. Too often people have been able to run in and roll behind, sidestep, or powershield, and they get through. So I just fsmash earlier now.

-Jump-land-usmash. I've been scoring KOs like this a lot. Just jump at them to scare them, then run to the spot they are landing and usmash. If you don't think you can get there just grab because they will probably shield.

-Jump sideB-DI back-grab. Too many of you commit to nairing someone's shield when you jump and sideB. The shield is like a magnet which tries to suck you into badness so resist that and land away.

Heh that's pretty much it I guess. Oh dashing away and seeing what they do is pretty helpful.

Honestly, that first thing I listed has really contributed to how well I've been playing lately. Just attack more. Olimar is actually scary as **** up close haha

Edit: LOL almost forgot, dsmashing on a platform is ****

Greward

Smash Lord
my personal tip is to use more dair lol

Too many of you commit to nairing someone's shield when you jump and sideB.
100% right hahah but sometimes u get behind them and get in a pivot grab or usmash

DtJ SquidBurrMoneyBurr

Smash Champion
So every now and then I like to make one of these, just general stuff that I think of

-Embrace the offensive decision. Holy ****, this has been so helpful for me. Seriously, I cannot express to you all enough how much of a breakthrough this has been for me. With Olimar it's easy to get scared because we lack priority, and once people get really close it's hard to get them out of our zone. I've found that instead of shielding, rolling, or spotdodging, sometimes it's better just to try to sneak in a smash attack (fsmash has been doing the trick). I've been dodging a lot less and attacking more, and I've found that I can hit people in situations I never thought they'd get hit in
I've been doing this lately instead of Rolling, and It works alot of the time. Great stuff rich.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Yo, real talk:

I copy/pasted this in the search bar on swf, and 5 people made this exact same post in 2008.

lol/jk <3 rich
//trollin

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I did like the point about not nairing a shield. Not that it was something that's new, but because it's something I think we should all keep in mind. It's a bad habit that some of us have, and I know I definitely need to pull away from it. Nice thread though, Rich. Post more, lol.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i nair shield a lot, and it is a bad habit, however a less punishable offense of nair a shield is nair shield int pivt grab :)

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've kinda stopped nairing shields altogether (when I land).

It's a great retreat though. Our nair beats Falcos nair, I figured that our yesterday haha

I'm too lazy to scroll up to see if I already posted this but grounded upB is really good. I've been forcing it in friendlies and it's hitting a surprisingly high amount of time

Greward

Smash Lord
It's a great retreat though. Our nair beats Falcos nair, I figured that our yesterday haha

I'm too lazy to scroll up to see if I already posted this but grounded upB is really good. I've been forcing it in friendlies and it's hitting a surprisingly high amount of time
omg didnt know that

ive been using grounded upB a lot and specially in our bad matchups (it works wonders against MK and peach for example)

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
~ The only oli I've seen dash back to observe the opponent was brood, atleast on the vids on youtube.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
-Jump-land-usmash. I've been scoring KOs like this a lot. Just jump at them to scare them, then run to the spot they are landing and usmash. If you don't think you can get there just grab because they will probably shield.
I truly need to do this more, it netted me so many good kills this past weekend. <3 Rich
Edit: LOL almost forgot, dsmashing on a platform is ****
Pivot grabbing on a platform is pretty **** good too, it's like pivot grab X sex + opponent "wtf" moment ^_^
ive been using grounded upB a lot and specially in our bad matchups (it works wonders against MK and peach for example)
Ya i've been trying grounded up-b, it's pretty cool
YES! FINALLY! The one contribution I've made to the Oli metagame is convincing people to try this, but I see that as a great victory. I would place an emoticon here but there truly isn't one to express how happy it makes me to see this. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom