• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have the developers ever commented on the competitive community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
they were pros at the game before it was released why did you think Ken was way better than everyone for some time.

No theere's no way they made it fair as they could. But they meant to have sheik broken as H**, and fox and marth being good falco closeish.

Really if you read the dolls or whatever for sheik it's no surprize fox's down-B/laser was meant to be broken and same for marth's range.

They tryed to ruin ness,kirby,pichu,G&W really look around a little and you can see how they wanted the game to go. kindof like how MK was meant to be broken.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I don't think it's that farfetched, actually. I mean look at Fox's Usmash. No developer in their right mind would have made such a quick move that powerful, unless they wanted it to be overpowered. A lot of things that are clearly unbalanced in the game are so obvious it's impossible to miss during playtesting. A few things were balanced out in the PAL version, such as Fox's Usmash, Sheik's Dthrow, Marth's Dair, Ganon's Fair (although they actually just nerfed a character who wasn't actually that good), but overall it's still pretty unbalanced.

Actually, it's fun to consider if they went through a development phase in which they had to decide how much dmg each move had to give and how much knockback it should have or if they just threw a lot of random values out :ohwell:

So I think maybe they wanted to make a game with characters that good players could use so they wouldn't completely obliterate their casual friends, or maybe they just didn't care.

On Topic: Sakurai said he knew about wavedash before the game's release, but decided to cut it from Brawl to lessen seasoned players' advantage. I think that's about it.

xbombr

Smash Ace
I think the slowing down and simplification of Brawl is the biggest indicator of how they feel about the competitive scene surrounding melee. >_>

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Consider that the original intent was FFAs with items, and the game is somewhat more balanced. Also a lot of glitches and tricks that weren't originally intended were discovered.

One of the only reasons Melee is so far out of what developers had made the game to be is because of so many people digging and tearing away at the game. I'm certain that if the same kind of thing was done to say, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, there would be a plethora of oddities found out about the game.

And if you disagree, I'd suggest visiting the TAS community and see what Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 have turned into. ;D

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Items don't really balance out...except taking a whole stock from Zero. >_> I never liked the items on for the most part. Even now when I turn items on...I still don't lose to those who want them on.

All in all...they spoke enough when they made the 3rd installment of smash. AT's were done away with. *shrugs* I hope this thread doesn't get out of hand.

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is so slow. I hate the simplicity of the game. You could literally master most of the difficult techniques in brawl in a week, melee takes months or even years to master...

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
they were pros at the game before it was released why did you think Ken was way better than everyone for some time.

No theere's no way they made it fair as they could. But they meant to have sheik broken as H**, and fox and marth being good falco closeish.

Really if you read the dolls or whatever for sheik it's no surprize fox's down-B/laser was meant to be broken and same for marth's range.

They tryed to ruin ness,kirby,pichu,G&W really look around a little and you can see how they wanted the game to go. kindof like how MK was meant to be broken.
Ken did not develop Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom