• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hating on Diddy... why?

Akashi

Smash Lord
I'm a Diddy main and I absolutely love his playstyle. That said, I use him a lot to better myself (offline and online) and regardless on who I play, the general response is:

"I f*cking hate Diddy and his bananas."

Do you guys get this too? It gets to the point where they refuse to fight me as Diddy and I have to resort to my secondary (Ike) so they will stop whining. In terms of my playstyle, I play like the average Diddy, and I'm definitely not a banana camper. I'm fairly aggressive, yet I know when to back off and defend myself with my nanners. It's just getting very annoying how much people hate our main. To give an example of my experiences, today my friend kept no contesting our matches because I was "frustrating" him with nanners. I don't know, does this happen to you guys with the diddy hate? Or is it just me >_>

P.S: All the players I talk about are above average that know their characters/techs/metagames etc.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Bananas really are incredibly annoying. Yes, you can pick them up and convert them, but then it gives a sense of making matches against Diddy tedious.

So people ask themselves ,if I'm going to spend an hour or so playing Brawl, do I want to play against a character with no or normal projectiles, or do I want to spend a good portion of the matches tripping on and having to pick up bananas like some sort of garbageman.

Your character is annoying, and some people won't want to waste time fighting you when they know they won't find it fun. If you want to play Diddy, you'll have to deal with it.

Nothing wrong with using the character you like, but if you like them that much you have to deal with the guff people give you.

The people who actually like (instead of using them because they're easy to play and awesome) Snake and Meta Knight have it worse than you, so consider yourself lucky I guess. And no, it's not just you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Keep playing Diddy. people are going to have to deal with bananas and get used to them because he's in the game to stay for at least another 5 years to forever. If your friends no contest then they need to grow up and get over it. What I'd to do is quit the game with them and go find some match on the SWF friend finer, AiB ladder/free play chat or GB games where they have to deal with it or they'll lose and you win.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Keep playing Diddy. people are going to have to deal with bananas and get used to them because he's in the game to stay for at least another 5 years to forever. If your friends no contest then they need to grow up and get over it. What I'd to do is quit the game with them and go find some match on the SWF friend finer, AiB ladder/free play chat or GB games where they have to deal with it or they'll lose and you win.
Lol, for that particular friend I said, "Sorry, I'll play as Ike" and I purposely kept running into his attacks but I was subtle about it. Then when he was finishing me off on my final stock, I no contested him and said, "How does it feel?" and he got the picture :p

Count

Smash Champion
Yeah, i've been getting loads of lousy feedback on gamebattles lately thanks to diddy. If you suck your feedback is good, but when you start to win matches with diddy people get really heated. So while I was always losing i got almost all good feedback but now that I win at an average rate my feedback is atrocious, no matter how nice of a guy I am!

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I'm a Diddy main and I absolutely love his playstyle. That said, I use him a lot to better myself (offline and online) and regardless on who I play, the general response is:

Do you guys get this too? It gets to the point where they refuse to fight me as Diddy and I have to resort to my secondary (Ike) so they will stop whining. In terms of my playstyle, I play like the average Diddy, and I'm definitely not a banana camper. I'm fairly aggressive, yet I know when to back off and defend myself with my nanners. It's just getting very annoying how much people hate our main. To give an example of my experiences, today my friend kept no contesting our matches because I was "frustrating" him with nanners. I don't know, does this happen to you guys with the diddy hate? Or is it just me >_>

P.S: All the players I talk about are above average that know their characters/techs/metagames etc.
Play with good people. Good people need to learn ALL match ups and will never refuse to play you, especially if you're diddy. When I go to tournaments Im usually the only good diddy in the tournament and most people, excluding my friends, know how to play against a Diddy. If you are playing with bad people who cares if they refuse to play with you. Go find some good smashers.

saberhof

Smash Master
lol thats the only thing i get after a match...."Dude wtf all you did was throw bananas" the other player was pit...<_< so you can guess what he did through out the match >_>.. and i didn't respond

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well diddy is supposed to use the bananas...thats like saying to a Sonic player "Dude, your so fast, you kept moving so quickly, that's so cheap" or to an Olimar player "God all you did was throw Pikmin at me, he's so gay" People just like to find things to complain about so just keep using Diddy. I think he's one of the best characters in the game.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
they seriously cant avoid the bannanas? its not that hard to avoid.... just like most spam...

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
There's always a counter to somethin in brawl. Just cause your opponent doesnt know how to stop the banana frenzy doesnt mean that its unfair. They just dont know how to stop it. When its all said and done, the person that complains about something they cant stop only makes them worst. Dont worry about what they say. Isnt that what people said about Ike when brawl first came out?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, Diddy is pretty annoying (the banannas, the constant monkey sounds, getting caught in his jab/dtilt, etc) but I wouldn't exactly call him hard to beat. Metaknight, on the other hand...

Captain Awesome

Smash Rookie
I don't hate Diddy cause of his banana's, I'm used to that. It's the noises he makes that aggravate me. I insist we mute the volume when my friend plays Diddy, or I refuse to play. When I play online against a Diddy I mute my TV.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
I don't hate Diddy cause of his banana's, I'm used to that. It's the noises he makes that aggravate me. I insist we mute the volume when my friend plays Diddy, or I refuse to play. When I play online against a Diddy I mute my TV.
I dual main Olly and Diddy, I can't stand Diddy's FX either, but they just grew on me.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
the reason for hate on diddy is her banans, or more exact: unfamiliarity with the banans

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
No Johns. lol. I think people have to play diddy for a while to be able to counter his bananas.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
I get a lot of

"I hate those ****ing bananas"

but they don't whine to the point of not playing me.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
diddy kong is really easy to use.....like i can pick him up and go win a turney...
lol ok let me know how many you win.

----
And honestly all this hate on him is just all the more reason to use him. or at least thats how I think of it. If your getting your opponent totally frustrated its just another competitive advantage.

KoopaKoopaParatroopa

Smash Apprentice
Lol, when people say "OMG, F these bananas" then I laugh on the inside. I just say, "I like them." sometimes when playing my friend MK when I'm Bowser, I'll be like, "I hate your combos!!" and he'll be like, "but I love them..." LOL. xP

Don't take their whining too seriously... it shouldn't affect you. (esp to all those Snake, MK, DDD players who get "I HATE *character,*) or if you play a lower tiered character, then "HA HA you play low tier... why?" should not get you either.

Wafflekingz

Smash Cadet
Ya I have had alot of people get annoyed at his bananas but this one yoshi I played against in a tourny was accually yelling **** everytime he slipped.

I won the first match, not even by that large a margin and then the second match after he lost his first stock he just ran off the edge and down b to his death and then same thing one more time and got up and left, it was pretty entertaining

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I get that a lot.

Try being a MK main though. That's worse, especially with the introduction of IDCing.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Lol... yeah, IDC is fairly annoying, but it's honestly not that bad outside tourneys. My friend thought it'd be funny to do IDC for an entire FFA match, and Ryko & I got pretty pissed off because he'd be at 3stock when everyone was at 1. Anyways, the next match I switched to Snake and we kept combo'ing him (fgrab into Ike's fsmash... so much pain <3) and he eventually got the picture. xD

Yanki

Smash Cadet
Ye like Camalange says, diddy is 1 of the best characters, no for the bananas or something like that, i sure i can beat u whit out it, i use the fight style very well and by that i can defeat any character incluiding the ones ho can use the banana better than me, like a luigui or a pit. And akashi, ye ur friends dont want to play whit ur, maybe because they hate u, but if they hate diddy, u play whit a bunch of noobs.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah. generally when people cop out on playing me anymore is when I start playing diddy. and honestly, I've never played another soul who plays diddy. Strange, most of the random 1v1s I do seem to consist of the same characters..

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
So people ask themselves ,if I'm going to spend an hour or so playing Brawl, do I want to play against a character with no or normal projectiles, or do I want to spend a good portion of the matches tripping on and having to pick up bananas like some sort of garbageman.
exactly this.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
I play diddy versus my friends and my brother alot. They used to think Diddy was the "best" character because of his nanerz, and they complained over and over again about how cheap he was. They simply need to play diddy more, and ultimately how to deal with the nanerz spam. If playing diddy is just keeping nanerz under control, then so be it. Sounds like an easy match up to me.

Top Bottom