• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Smash Bros. lost its Competative Edge?

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Can we please close all these "ZOMFG BRAWLL HAS BEEN OUT 2 WEEKS HOW COME IT'S NOT AS DEEP AS MELEE" threads or at least combine the *****in into 1 ingored thread

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
At earlier pages why were people saying "This thread ended when he said he wanted melee 2.0?" And things like "a new engine keeps the game fresh?", well new characters, moves, stats, stages, options, and modes would have kept the game "fresh" other then taking out what was used in melee a lot (i.e. wdash, l-cancel)

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Aside from online, that's pretty shallow...

The determining issue here is this:

AT's, intentional or not, are just as much a part of Smash as normal gameplay mechanics because at the end of the day, they are gameplay mechanics. Take them out and you're taking away from the depth of the game. Period. Sakurai has taken many of the important ones out of Smash when he made Brawl. If he didn't rebuild what he destroyed, Brawl isn't going to have the longevity that Melee and 64 had. The gimmicks don't mean anything.

And if that turns out to be true, it won't be the first game series it's happened to. People need to wake up to smell the roses and stop blindly denying the possibility that Brawl may not be fun long term. It's definitely a possibility, and people are setting themselves up for disappointment. Only time will tell.
Good god Hitzel the way you trash talk all of Brawl's extra modes makes you sound obnoxiously elitist. Think about other players who would appreciate trophies and stickers and stop BAAAAAAWWWWWing over the reduced technicality. Smash was not founded on its technical scene, and smash is not alive SOLELY because of its technical scene. Hell, unlike Mario Kart and Halo, Melee still has a very strong casual connection, and it will continue with Brawl for many years.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Let me bottom line it for the ignorants in the room. This is Brawl. No matter what mechanics have been changed, this is what Brawl is. If you wanna play, deal with the adjustment. If you're too uptight to adapt, go back to playing Melee.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
There is a direct link between join date and post count and knowing WTF you are talking about, because most noobs don't know how to lurk.

I'm 100% positive that anyone with a 2008 join date knows absolutely nothing about Tournament Level Melee, and the application of Tournament Level Brawl.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Let me bottom line it for the ignorants in the room. This is Brawl. No matter what mechanics have been changed, this is what Brawl is. If you wanna play, deal with the adjustment. If you're too uptight to adapt, go back to playing Melee.
Everyone already knows this is what brawl is, we aren't blind. For me it seems as if in brawl a noob who wants to be as good as a winner of a certain tourney can become as good as him without much practice, which is pretty disturbing. I mean what kind of new strategies can make that big of a difference between how good someone could be in brawl?

Ichida

Smash Ace
There is a direct link between join date and post count and knowing WTF you are talking about, because most noobs don't know how to lurk.

I'm 100% positive that anyone with a 2008 join date knows absolutely nothing about Tournament Level Melee, and the application of Tournament Level Brawl.

*looks at your post count and join date*

Yes, and you're such the expert.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

*looks at your post count and join date*

Yes, and you're such the expert.
He is Sliq who has a better join date and has actually placed in tournies.

See what I mean, you don't know as much as you thought. =\

Even a horrible n00b like me knows these things.

Edit: Don't beat me to ****, Brawlpro. I will time post match you where if I win I posted the info first. You just have to drive 5 hours to get where I am.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
whae he said-.

Melee is the past now to tell you the truth... we dont know what brawl will give to us.. but melee is history.

It doesnt matter how many rants... nothing will change

c4pt41n 0l1m4r

Smash Rookie
Ok, first off you've only seen a bunch of noobs on the internet play the game. Second, even though they took out the old techniques, I ASSURE YOU, THERE WILL BE MORE TECHNIQUES. It didn't take a week to figure out wavedash.Also, there are already some kool techniques that are in brawl that are not in melee, like dashing shield, you can even turn around and jump, while keeping your full momentum, allowing a character with a good back aerial attack to strike. And the competitiveness will be there. (Also, that fox and falco glitch is crap, first off, only a few stages have this gigantic wall in the way, second, don't get caught in it.)

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
FYI sliq has been in smashboards for a **** load of time, and he is a jiggly expert in melee.

He is Sliq who has a better join date and has actually placed in tournies.

See what I mean, you don't know as much as you thought. =\

Even a horrible n00b like me knows these things.

Edit: Don't beat me to ****, Brawlpro. I will time post match you where if I win I posted the info first. You just have to drive 5 hours to get where I am.
What are you talking about? I'm clearly NOT Sliq *WINK*.

But I do know that Sliq guy placed 17th at Pound 3, which had over 240 people in attendance, losing in bracket to the people that placed 1st and 2nd.

brawlpro

Smash Master
He got banned for being sarcastic, why would you get banned for posting something like
I think Jigglypuff should be banned. I mean, come on, six jumps. SIX!? That's so broken, and if you can't see why it is broken, then you are obviously not as awesome as me and my long list of self fellatio.
______________________________________________________ I don't stalk I just browse a lot >_>___________________________________
errhm, on topic, I hope to find new tech's in brawl, and falco is gonna go top tier, that glitch is like, being wobbeled, except without grabbing o_0

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sarcasm....is ban-able? :( That's terrible....

Er, on-topic (maybe): IMHO, As long as there's will to be competitive, Smash Bros. can be competitive.

BentoBox

Smash Master
If that statement of my opinion somehow proves that i am bad, than i guess i am.
By implying that KDJ will start losing to noobs because most adv.techs got taken away, you do sound terribly stupid indeed. SSBM fundamentally has never been about buttons-pressed-per-second ratios. It's about doing the most out of the tools that you possess. SSBB has its own share of adv.techs that we shall strive to master. Wake up.

Top Bottom