• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has playing Brawl made anyone BETTER at Melee?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I noticed that I play Melee a lot smarter now, and my tech skill is a lot more consistent than it was before I got Brawl. I don't try to do crazy technical stuff or go for combos all the time like I used to. It's like I'm seeing Melee from a different perspective now. I think my skill has changed for the better. I can finally switch comfortably between both. It's refreshing.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree.

Playing Brawl has made me view and play Melee with a new, fresher, more innovative perspective.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I noticed all the same things as the OP. Except I can do all the crazy technical stuff even more so now lol, and super consistent.

Artery_Clogger

Smash Apprentice
If anything Brawl has made me worse at Melee, but basically just momentarily. If I play Melee shortly after playing Brawl, I'll keep trying to play defensively and try to do moves right after dropping my shield and then get *****. But hopefully I'll never play Brawl again, so it won't matter.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
I have gotten alot better on looking at the opponent, instead of rushing in trying to do all these weird combo stunts + mind games simply watch him and start from there.

To bad though he does the same which ends up in laser camping games where you want to shield grab the opponent and UAir/Usmash.

Need to get that old influence of melee once again and become a crazy phased idiot playing so fast the brain cant react ;)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawls easier recovery made me more confident and allowed to be more courageous going into a low spike with Marth or Falco.

Fletch

Smash Master
Brawl has improved my overall game I think, but my tech skill still hasn't recovered... I think I'm going to play pure Melee for a while to get it back.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't wavedash nearly as much as I used to, which has helped my Melee game alot.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I don't think it made me any better, but I did have an experience punishing my friend's Jigglypuff with my Yoshi, something that never happened in the past. It was the only match I've played with my Yoshi in Melee ever since Brawl's release.

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah definetely, after playing 64 for a while my offensive skill improved and after playing Brawl I camp in a much smarter fashion now.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
XD

I will admit, it felt like after initially playing brawl some, i felt like i was alot smarter in melee (which is funny, cause i never STOPPED playing melee).

but at the same time, playing brawl made me forget about some of the fine details of some of my characters.

Like im just starting to be able to SHFFL with ganon again. XD

Jab-grab is slowly making a comeback.

And for the love of my life, i cant remember how the hell i played y.link and killed stuff (which is im not d.smashing, btw)

__

But yeah, brawl has made me realize one thing about melee that people complained about alot.

In melee, you really CANT attack shields that much, its just you have more of a chance to get away. XD

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Playing and getting used to Brawl and then going back to Melee will:

Pros
-Increase your level of patience
-Allow you to see and focus more on the match as a whole
-make you extremely happy when you start wavedashing and dashdancing again

Cons
-Throw off your muscle memory (temporarily)
-Make you airdodge and selfdestruct way too much (temporarily)
-Make you play a character differently than they should be (i.e. Ganondorf -.-) (also, temporarily)

?
-make you appreciate Melee a lot more, if you play it competitively

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think it's improved my melee game a lot as well, cause now I really appreciate all the awesome and fun things the physics allow me to do.

WireFrameFan

Smash Rookie
Has it made me better? I dont think so. I'm pretty much the same. Well, at least it didnt make me worse. If anything , melee prepared me for brawl cause I honestly didnt see some things coming.

Brookman

Smash Hero
when i play brawl i really dont care about who wins....

until someone talks trash and tries to blow it up if they win....

then i start attacking out of shield
Brawl has definitely improved my melee game, cause now I know how to powershield and I just powershield into ****. JUST TLIKE IN BRAWL!

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Brawl for some reason helped calibrate my controller so I can dash and shield better. Before I would do weird half moonwalks, lightshield when I didnt want to, and some tilts were slow. Other than that, Brawl ****ing sucks and I can't stand more than 10-15 minutes of playing the most utterly ******** spamming laggy Pits online.

I don't even consider Brawl a true smash brothers game...........it's honestly worse than some third party trash games I've rented that were at least somewhat fun. I'll wait for Smash 4, or custom SSBM online, or emulator SSBM. Nintendo just made so much money mainstreaming everything that they decided to make an uber nub fest of a garbage game. I give them credit for doing an amazing job of ruining Brawl so that people with absolutely no skill would enjoy it.........that was their goal and they succeeded.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
brawl has helped me think a lot more. from the first time i played brawl, i was kinda pissed that it was so slow, and i came to the conclusion that i would not let this ruin my experience on this brand new game. i resolved to take advantage of the slowness and place more "on-my-feet" thought into my game. therefore, i now have a better tech chase game, better mind games (i.e. looking/baiting for someone to roll right into me), a better camp strategy, and a new out look on dealing damage without trynna go for some huge combo at every approach.

tech skill on the other hand has not so much improved. the only thing i can say much for is my ability to shuffle marth's fairs twice in one short hop. other than that, i pretty much lost my tech skill in melee until i started playing it again for the first time since i went on a brawl binge.

overall, i still think melee>brawl; however, they are two different games. almost like comparing apples and oranges, but (imho) **** apples.

SoiDohKamSal

Smash Rookie
Lol.....
no.....
brawl is just so much slower too me.....
i dont know if its just me, or the game but i find it alot slower.....
my CF sux soooo much in melee now because of how much they nerf'd cf in brawl.
I cant l-cancel right
i cant wavedash as fast as i could....
i cant waveshine for **** lol.....
it sucks....

trademark0013

Smash Champion
and a new out look on dealing damage without trynna go for some huge combo at every approach.
blasphemy
Lol.....
no.....
brawl is just so much slower too me.....
i dont know if its just me, or the game but i find it alot slower.....
my CF sux soooo much in melee now because of how much they nerf'd cf in brawl.
I cant l-cancel right
i cant wavedash as fast as i could....
i cant waveshine for **** lol.....
it sucks....
massive johnage

Kefka

Smash Apprentice
I didn't play brawl that much but I definitely noticed an improvement in my mental game when going back to melee. Though I also notice that same thing happening when i simply take a break from smash period, so it could just be that.

Binx

Smash Master
All it did was hurt my ability to sweetspot and slightly throw off my wavedash timing, fortunately my main is ICs so I don't have to sweetspot and I was able to wavedash correctly again about half way through a match.

Top Bottom