• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardware Review: Nintendo DSi

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1481]Hardware Review: Nintendo DSi[/drupal]

Handheld gaming was never anything big for me. Yeah, I've had some fun times with my previous Game Boys, but it wasn't until recently that I finally picked up a DS. The model I picked up was the newest, the DSi, and before we get on with the "review" part of the actual "review" I would like to say that I've played game on both the original DS and the DS Lite.

Nintendo's strategy with the DSi seems to be "cram everything you can into there." You have a Wii Shopping Channel-like thing in there, a camera, a music player and voice recorder.

The camera isn't the best quality, but it gets things done (here's a sample picture that I took, I'll say this now, I just grabbed a random DVD off my shelf and took a picture of it). You'll also get a number of options like the ability to creatre a mirrior effect, write on your pictures, ect. There's also a deform thing that you can do and let me tell ya, you can get some pretty interesting deformations. And something else worth mentioning, there's an effect they have that will make anything look dramatic. I'll admit that I like the camera, it's an amusing little addition that will provide some entertainment if your games get boring.

Now that I've talked about the only extra feature that I liked, I will new proceed to take out my Masamune and Golf Cleats in order to do what I usually do. First off, the voice recorder is one of the most useless additions that I've ever seen in a device. It will entertain you for about ten minuets then you'll probably never use it again, and it could have been taken out and had been replaced with something much more useful. Like a clock or something. And the so called "ability" to play music is a joke, because the **** thing can run everything except MP3s and I doubt that any of you carry around midis on your Ipod. The DSi shop is a load of bull because all of the games that they currently have on there suck, and why can't I play my GBA games on this piece of crap!? Really, it's big enough to have a slot where you fit your GBA cartridge, but for some idiotic reason Nintendo said, "let's not them play their GBA games on this thing." Knowing them they're probably going to try and con me out of twenty bucks because I just know that they're going to make an attachment that lets you play them. Oh, and get this: you can't delete games off of your DSi. That's right, if you have a game on there that you downloaded and it ended up sucking you can't delete it. Nope, can't let us do that, can you Nintendo?

If you currently own either a DS or a DS Lite, don't bother to upgrade, it's not worth it. If you don't own a DS but are simply interested in buying one don't bother with this either, go buy a DS Lite instead. It's cheaper, isn't loaded down with a tun of useless features and it can actually run GBA games!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm glad you can finally review stuff without it getting closed. Thanks for telling me, I was actually gonna pick one up next month!

D

Deleted member

Oh Jesus no! I can't delete all of the crappy games I downloaded?! What the hell was Nintendo thinking when they did that?

Why did I bother upgrading? I got a worse battery, no Gameboy slot, and a ****load of useless features.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Don't you mean downgrading? The motto is the future of today is yesterday, and half of last year.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well at least the backlights and the connection to the internet is better than the past right? Oh well, I'm still getting it because I need a new DS after 2004 and I need two DS's as well.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
You can't delete games? I'm certain I was able to delete that sorry excuse for a game called Warioware snapped from my DSi. Is it perhaps stored elsewhere I can't get too? And perhaps it's just my colleges terrible Clean Access Agent Garbage, but why the hell can't I connect the DSi to ad hoc, but when I go into Pokemon Platinum and search for the ad hoc connection, its there plain as day! [though I still can't connect to it, but I believe it's for a completely different yet equally dumb reason.] I got it because my DS Lite has a nice giant crack along it's henge and the school refunded me 1.5K in scholarship money : D [Yaay too many scholarships~]

Darkslash

Smash Master
Like a clock or something.
You know like that seemingly useless counter at the edge of the top of your screen. I wonder what that is.

And the so called "ability" to play music is a joke, because the **** thing can run everything except MP3s and I doubt that any of you carry around midis on your Ipod
So no body has freaking Itunes? Really It took me half an hour to convert all my Albums into AAC's, and I convert any thing I get from no one into AAC's. It was no freaking big deal like every one is making it out to be. Also AAC's have better sound quality.

The DSi shop is a load of bull because all of the games that they currently have on there suck
Its been out for 1 week..and your complaining about a shop, that had a 3 month start in Japan. I know there should of been more games on it, but the thing its self is dropping its bomb next week,in Japan, called Made in Ore, which will bring in some interesting mini games, if Pictochat is any thing.

Really, it's big enough to have a slot where you fit your GBA cartridge, but for some idiotic reason Nintendo said, "let's not them play their GBA games on this thing."
Its not. That GBA space now holds a better processor and CPU, and internal memory (256MB if you don't know), some thing that the DS Phat and Lite lacked.

Oh, and get this: you can't delete games off of your DSi. That's right, if you have a game on there that you downloaded and it ended up sucking you can't delete it. Nope, can't let us do that, can you Nintendo?
You obviously didn't use it enough or didn't bother to.

System Settings->Data Management->System Memory->Delete

The DSi is 4 times faster thanks to that useless GBA slot, and now it can have it can possibly have its true potential, with out the "hated" peripherals, that every one hates so much. Really if your piss mad about the GBA slot, then get a GBA. They're 20 bucks now, and if you haven't got them I'm sure EB games or Gamestop has a stockpile of them. Actually looking at the Lite, it doesn't feel light at all compared to the DSi. It was lighter than the Phat, but comparing it to the DSi, its actually heavy.

If you wanted to nitpick some thing, nitpick the Pictochat. Still the same, with only local wireless.

This review is full of hate. Really.

Y but why the hell can't I connect the DSi to ad hoc, but when I go into Pokemon Platinum and search for the ad hoc connection, its there plain as day! [though I still can't connect to it, but I believe it's for a completely different yet equally dumb reason.]]
Did you try advance settings? The basic settings just pick up WPA, while advance settings would pick up the more encrypted settings.

Now if you will excuse me my fanboy is showing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Now if you will excuse me my fanboy is showing.
YOU! Put on some pants so you can cover up your fanboy.

And by the way, thanks for the tip. Yep, military time. That is what the civilian population of the United States uses. Yep, sure is.
/sarcasm

They still could have put in a GBA slot. I'd rather have that than a bunch of useless extra memory that I'm never going to use.

Yeah, well when the Wii Shopping Channel came out it had half-way decent games on it when it first came out!

And by the way, that so called "useless GBA" slot is good if you want to... oh, I don't know... want to play Guitar Hero for the DS, among other things. At it also prevents me from getting around $20 for my old SP.

Your post is full of fanboy. But really, the DSi isn't a very good system.

EDIT: And also, no I don't have Itunes! I refuse to give into Macintosh's monopoly because of their glorified MP3 player. And plus, you shouldn't have to convert your files. If it really does play music, then it should at least play the most common type of file.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Darkslash, I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate about how you converted your songs to one of the AAC formats. I'm not exactly sure where or how to go about doing so.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

Itunes->Edit->Preferences->General Tab->Import Settings->AAC
Then select the files you want to convert(ctrl+A to select every thing)
Right click
choose create AAC version.
????
wait
PROFIT!

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Sounds like Dark Slash and Finalark are both right some aspects at least lol.

I got a Lite like 6 months ago after my phat DS touchscreen stopped working right. So I don't intend to get a DSi anytime soon.

Plus I want both Guitar Hero games and we all know you can't play those on the DSi.

Darkslash

Smash Master
YOU! Put on some pants so you can cover up your fanboy.
For starters my Fanboy is in my pockets, I only take it out when some one makes a some what ignorant post

And by the way, thanks for the tip. Yep, military time. That is what the civilian population of the United States uses. Yep, sure is.
/sarcasm
Yup, no problem. Its too bad I can't switch the time so that the 12+ hours are on when I'm sleeping, or do a simple math equation which is x-12.

They still could have put in a GBA slot. I'd rather have that than a bunch of useless extra memory that I'm never going to use.
You obviously haven't been diving why there's memory in the first place. The

Yeah, well when the Wii Shopping Channel came out it had half-way decent games on it when it first came out!
Most likely because the Wii was out for some time in the US, where as the DSi, been only out for 1 week.

And by the way, that so called "useless GBA" slot is good if you want to... oh, I don't know... want to play Guitar Hero for the DS, among other things. At it also prevents me from getting around $20 for my old SP.
What other things, exactly. Rumble Pack, which is awkward on the Lite, and that GH peripheral, which is some what awkward.

Really GH for the DS isn't that all good.
Your post is full of fanboy. But really, the DSi isn't a very good system.
Tell that to the 500,00 that bought it in Japan, and the 435,00 in the US. Ohh and BTW first week sales.

EDIT: And also, no I don't have Itunes! I refuse to give into Macintosh's monopoly because of their glorified MP3 player. And plus, you shouldn't have to convert your files. If it really does play music, then it should at least play the most common type of file.
Your total loss. AAC is becoming the new standard if you didn't know.

D

Deleted member

But what do have to gain from buying one? You get a crappy camera, shop with so far crappy games, and a music player that fails to play one of the top music formats and is utterly useless if you have any other music player, and an SD card slot to... help you use these crappy features. On top of these "benefits" I get a worse battery and loss of GBA support (not big deal for me but still). What advantages does this thing have? All I can think of is size and weight!

Pros:

Smaller/Bigger screens
Detects more Wi-Fi formats
Power button takes you to main menu
Upgradable firmware
Special DSi enhanced games (Someday?)

Cons:

Camera is pretty pointless
Sound fails to use MP3 files
****ty downloadable games so far
Worse battery (my 2nd biggest gripe)
$40 More than Lite
Loss of GBA slot (I can't play GBA games, play GH, or use the Pal Park

Feel free to disagree, but I think the cons far outweigh the pros.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is why arguing with a fanboy is pointless. They will refuse the see the flaws in whatever they're a fanboy of regardless of how much you shove it down their throat. This is why I always nitpick and point out flaws in everything I review.

finalark

SNORLAX
I missed this. So when something sells well it's considered good? That is most certainly news to me. I'll list things that are apparently "good":

-Wii
-Twilight
-Wii Play
Sonic-next gen
The Eragon Movie
Wii Fit.

Most people are stupid and will buy just about anything just so long as it has an interesting logo or is shiny.

EDIT: @Viper

Well Twilight kind of sucks and is little more than a shallow novel for teenage girls, and the Wii needs to stop with their "casual gaming" strategy before it's considered a good system.

Darkslash

Smash Master
This is why arguing with a fanboy is pointless. They will refuse the see the flaws in whatever they're a fanboy of regardless of how much you shove it down their throat. This is why I always nitpick and point out flaws in everything I review.
I'll admit there are flaws in the DSi, like no more R4 or hombrew(which I used little), and the camera is a bit pointless at times, but I enjoy the DSi WAY more than the DS Lite and I had my lite for 2 years.

Also taken from Wikipedia

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at many bit rates.
Obviously Nintendo put it as a AAC player becuase MP3 is going out soon. Also Nintendo could of made it a MP3 player as it already has one. Actually it also has a camera as well, before the DSi.

The battery and GBA slot were sacrificed for the extra RAM,CPU and Memory added. And I'm really not complaining. It's only a problem if your going to open your DSi on for 14 hours straight, or your absent minded to plug it into the recharger when your at home or sleeping.

Really the stuff that your nitpicking is possibly the worst stuff to nitpick.

finalark

SNORLAX
Really the stuff that your nitpicking is possibly the worst stuff to nitpick.
That's like saying, "hey, my apple has a worm in it!" and then you say "Well it's still an apple! Really, you're just nitpicking the worst of it."

An apple, regardless of how crunchy, tasty and juicy it is, becomes terrible once you find out that there's a worm in it. Yeah, it's a perfectly good apple and you can still eat it and it will fill you up but no one's going to want it because there's a freaking worm in it!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The DSi is 4 times faster thanks to that useless GBA slot,
No. Go die in a fire somewhere now.

The GBA is a great system. There are games you need a GBA slot to use DS games. Rumble Pack and Guitar Hero games, but also the Pokemon games.

Backwards compatibility is not useless.

and now it can have it can possibly have its true potential, with out the "hated" peripherals, that every one hates so much. Really if your piss mad about the GBA slot, then get a GBA. They're 20 bucks now, and if you haven't got them I'm sure EB games or Gamestop has a stockpile of them. Actually looking at the Lite, it doesn't feel light at all compared to the DSi. It was lighter than the Phat, but comparing it to the DSi, its actually heavy.
It's called the Lite for the BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS, FOR THE LAST TIME. And for being lighter than the Phat. Which it is. Stop unfavorably comparing it to the DSi as if it's stupid or something, it's the predecessor, so DUH it's not necessarily going to be as good in a given department as its successor.
You act like Lite vs. DSi is Wii vs. 360. The DSi is just an upgrade of the Lite, not the entire ****ing new handheld.

And question. If the DSi is so great because it mashes so much crap together in one then why is it that the ONE THING you buy separately is the VIDEO GAME SYSTEM PART?! That makes no sense. A gaming device should put gaming before extraneous crapola.

If you wanted to nitpick some thing, nitpick the Pictochat. Still the same, with only local wireless.
Who used that **** anyways?

This review is full of hate. Really.
This response is full of fanboy. Really.

Yup, no problem. Its too bad I can't switch the time so that the 12+ hours are on when I'm sleeping, or do a simple math equation which is x-12.
The simple math thing is a good point, but that other thing makes no sense. I don't know about you but I'm up from about 6 AM - 12 PM, on average. No matter which hours I set as 1-12, it's going to be as military time at some point.

Plus, any game that relies on time is going to be screwed up by that.

You obviously haven't been diving why there's memory in the first place. The
The...?

Most likely because the Wii was out for some time in the US, where as the DSi, been only out for 1 week.
That's...that doesn't even make sense. Why does it matter how long it was out before the shop channel came out? It's not like they couldn't be preparing it until the system itself came out.

What other things, exactly. Rumble Pack, which is awkward on the Lite, and that GH peripheral, which is some what awkward.
At least you can USE them on the Lite. Just because they're "awkward" doesn't mean people don't have them and didn't already spend money on them.

Also, the Phat says hi.

Really GH isn't that good.
Fix'd.

Nevertheless I don't want to ever spend money on something I can't use when I upgrade. That's just ********.

Tell that to the 500,00 that bought it in Japan, and the 435,00 in the US. Ohh and BTW first week sales.
You're right, sales prove things, because 99.6% of people are NOT stupid at ALL.
(Made up statistic, tons of people are still stupid.)

Your total loss. AAC is becoming the new standard if you didn't know.
Since when?

Yeah. Aren't fanboys just...fun?

I missed this. So when something sells well it's considered good? That is most certainly news to me. I'll list things that are apparently "good":

-Wii
-Twilight
-Wii Play
Lolpwned.

I'll admit there are flaws in the DSi, like no more R4 or hombrew(which I used little), and the camera is a bit pointless at times, but I enjoy the DSi WAY more than the DS Lite and I had my lite for 2 years.
Good for you. This is his review, not yours, so he is allowed to have his own opinion on how good it is.

Also taken from Wikipedia

Obviously Nintendo put it as a AAC player becuase MP3 is going out soon.
It says DESIGNED. You know what else has been DESIGNED to be the successor of something? The Virtual Boy.

And again. If MP3 is "going out soon", why is this the first I'm hearing of it?

Also Nintendo could of made it a MP3 player as it already has one.
...Was that even released in the US?
Also, hands; who's heard of that before?

You're missing the point anyways. No one asked for a music player. No one's going to buy an MP3 player (not that that one is usable with the DSi anyways) separately, they're saying it's stupid that they didn't even put the most commonly used format on the music player. At least, I am.

There was a Game Boy Camera too...what's your point?

He said he actually LIKED the camera...

The battery and GBA slot were sacrificed for the extra RAM,CPU and Memory added. And I'm really not complaining. It's only a problem if your going to open your DSi on for 14 hours straight, or your absent minded to plug it into the recharger when your at home or sleeping.
The battery wears down over time, for one thing. Meaning 14 hours at the beginning will eventually be maybe 10 or less.

And what about road trips or plane rides? Seems like those are pretty long. What if you're out and all of a sudden it turns red? If you constantly charge it that's worse for the battery, so going back to my first point it'll wear down faster. So saying "You should've charged it earlier so it doesn't get to that point" is not really a good argument.

Oh, and I thought the number was 9-14 hours, 3-4 hours at the highest brightness setting? Lolbias. At least take the average.

*Sigh* Arguing with fanboys is almost as fun as arguing with trolls.

finalark

SNORLAX
It says DESIGNED. You know what else has been DESIGNED to be the successor of something? The Virtual Boy.
Do I even need to use the words "Gameboy Micro?" That was supposed to be a successor to the GBASP. If you dropped it, you're basically done for. And I remember trying to play Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on that thing. The screen was so small that the dialog was rendered unreadable. And Nintendo's advertising campaign for that piece of junk was stupid. I remember a friend of mine once phrased it perfectly, "the Gameboy Micro isn't a system, it's a fashion statement."

Darkslash

Smash Master
*Sigh* Arguing with fanboys is almost as fun as arguing with trolls.
I'm arguing because he's nitpicking at useless things. And If I was a fanboy I wouldn't have a PSP in my household. I do play it you know >_>.

But if it makes every one ****ing happy, you think the DSi is not a good system fine. I'm not going to try and convert you like Middle Ages Christianity. I'm really pissed off that you ridicule people for some thing that they like. Seriously I hate the Ipod, and do you see me going piss **** about it?

I'm just pissed off that most people are just nitpicking REALLY small details.

Also the sales thing that I put there.

You must have in mind that most people who would of bought the DSi most likely have a Camera,MP3 player and possibly a DS Phat/lite, so why would they get it?

They'll most likely put GBA games up on the DSi shop for future purchase at 1/3rd the price of the original cartridge.

Maybe it's all this arguing, but I'm getting fed up with this "fanboy" business. You enjoy your system, I'll enjoy mine. End of story.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
ATTENTION WORLD: The DSi is not a GBA so stop complaining about the lack of a GBA slot!

Thank you! :)

D

Deleted member

I feel kind of bad for debating you 3-1 but, we're just frustrated. You bring up the DSi's "good" points, and we defeat the points. You then continue to tell us how amazing the DSi is, when I can see virtually nothing good. I had to seriously strain myself to get 5 pros. I had to choose connecting to WPA wireless networks as a pro.

I try to be fair and try to see good in everything. I just can't see any quality that would make anyone want to buy this.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The DSi is essentially the DS Lite with a bigger screen and a download shop with nothing good (yet).

Pretty much, upgrade to the DSi IF you still have a DS Phat. If you have a Lite that is in working condition, don't upgrade yet.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm arguing because he's nitpicking at useless things.
In your opinion, they are useless. But to other people? The GBA slot is FAR from useless in my opinion; as I've said most of the use my Phat has gotten in the past is from GBA games, not DS games.

Saying that it has useless features is not "nitpicking". It's annoying. It cuts down on battery. It possibly eliminates features you COULD have had. And it makes it cost more.

And If I was a fanboy I wouldn't have a PSP in my household. I do play it you know >_>.
I don't even own a PSP, I wouldn't really say that is necessary to prove you're not a fanboy.

But if it makes every one ****ing happy, you think the DSi is not a good system fine.
Is it...unreasonable to not like the system that you have to just give up on us already?

I'm really pissed off that you ridicule people for some thing that they like. Seriously I hate the Ipod, and do you see me going piss **** about it?
Woah, woah, woah, slow down there. No one's ridiculing you for liking what you like. I'm ridiculing the DSi. It may feel like we are, and for that I apologize, because we're not. Feel free to like the DSi, I'm just going to feel free to attack it at every corner because it pisses me off.

If you hate the iPod then feel free to rant about it in a blog or something, nobody's stopping you.

I'm just pissed off that most people are just nitpicking REALLY small details.
Except to some people they aren't really small details.

Also the sales thing that I put there.

You must have in mind that most people who would of bought the DSi most likely have a Camera,MP3 player and possibly a DS Phat/lite, so why would they get it?
Because they think that a game system with everything is better than having everything separate? Which to some people, it is, but logically I really don't think it is?

They'll most likely put GBA games up on the DSi shop for future purchase at 1/3rd the price of the original cartridge.
Not paying for the game twice, especially if it's just a digital copy, no matter how much it costs. A portable has even more of a chance of being damaged/stolen than a console, so that's even riskier, and I like having the physical game anyways.

I'm sure GB/GBC/GBA games will make it there eventually, but it doesn't change my decision. That's just worse because they're forcing us to pay because they decided to not include a GBA slot.

Maybe it's all this arguing, but I'm getting fed up with this "fanboy" business. You enjoy your system, I'll enjoy mine. End of story.
Agreed...I'm not telling you to not enjoy the DSi, I'm just saying I think it's stupid and I'm defending the arguments against it.

ATTENTION WORLD: The DSi is not a GBA so stop complaining about the lack of a GBA slot!

Thank you! :)
Backwards compatibility is legitimate to want and expect! And as I said, DS games utilize the GBA slot!

-_-

Seriously. It's perfectly legitimate to want a GBA slot, especially since the DSi is working to eliminate carrying around a camera and an MP3 Player. So instead, I have to drag around a GBA or older DS? Doesn't make any sense to me.

And despite having a Phat, the more I think about it the less I want to get the DSi. Unless Super Metroid comes out on the DSi (and only the DSi) in some way, shape, or form, it doesn't interest me. The extra features do not interest me, the lack of a GBA slot hinders me (I don't care if it's not a GBA, it's still inferior if it's lacking one), and it screams "casual gimmick" from the commercials. No thanks.

Ideally I'd just be able to keep my Phat as my main DS, but the hinge is...meh. I've adapted to it a little better but it still irks me. So I can save $40 and grab a Lite unless the shop actually proves interesting. I've probably got a few months before I'll actually get the Lite so I'll see how it pans out first.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It is not legitimate at all. You payed for a DS. You got a DS. Tough. It was Activision's choice to utilize the GBA slot as a placeholder for the Guitar Hero peripheral. One game doesn't warrant complaint.

The DSi is NOT trying to be an MP3 player or a whatever else. It's trying to be a gaming device that has these options. Nice options. Good extra features.

To be honest, Firus, you're my friend and all, but I get the impression that you don't like the DSi just to not like it. It's not the best thing ever, I agree. But, you treat it like it is the worst thing ever, which it is not.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
You can't delete games? I'm certain I was able to delete that sorry excuse for a game called Warioware snapped from my DSi. Is it perhaps stored elsewhere I can't get too? And perhaps it's just my colleges terrible Clean Access Agent Garbage, but why the hell can't I connect the DSi to ad hoc, but when I go into Pokemon Platinum and search for the ad hoc connection, its there plain as day! [though I still can't connect to it, but I believe it's for a completely different yet equally dumb reason.] I got it because my DS Lite has a nice giant crack along it's henge and the school refunded me 1.5K in scholarship money : D [Yaay too many scholarships~]
My college also uses Clean Access Agent for wireless security. I tried connecting my Wii via WiFi which can see there are possible connections, but cannot connect to the wireless because of the security code that Clean Access Agent uses. I would believe that this is the same problem when connecting with a DS. Both systems support WEP, WPA, and WPA2, but they do not support the Enterprise security code of Clean Access Agent. Only way to get around this issue is to use an ethernet cable. That obviously does not apply to the DS...so yeah it can recognize it, but cannot connect because of the security codes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It is not legitimate at all. You payed for a DS. You got a DS. Tough. It was Activision's choice to utilize the GBA slot as a placeholder for the Guitar Hero peripheral. One game doesn't warrant complaint.
You should know that Pokemon uses it too...as well as if you want to use the Rumble Pack with something like, say, Metroid Prime Pinball.

And it's a rather important aspect of Pokemon, too. What, I have to carry around a separate DS just to transfer my Pokemon or catch ones you need to use the GBA slot for? No thanks...

The DSi is NOT trying to be an MP3 player or a whatever else. It's trying to be a gaming device that has these options. Nice options. Good extra features.
Extra features that I will likely never use if I were to get a DSi.

And yes, the DSi IS trying to be an MP3 player and whatever else. They wouldn't promote them as crucial, system-selling features if it weren't. They wouldn't have ENTIRE COMMERCIALS dedicated to how awesome it is to manipulate photos if it weren't.

To be honest, Firus, you're my friend and all, but I get the impression that you don't like the DSi just to not like it. It's not the best thing ever, I agree. But, you treat it like it is the worst thing ever, which it is not.
Why would I not like it just to not like it?

I've hated it from the very beginning. If you check the DSi thread in the Light House, you'll see that in the OP my argument was posted in to show people the alternate perspective. From the beginning I've been against it for, if nothing more, just the fact that I'm losing battery and wasting money on extra features that I simply don't need. They're not free. They're not just fun little things that I can take or leave. They do take a toll on the system as a whole in one way or another. Ever since it was announced I was angry just because of that. The GBA slot is just the icing on the cake, although it's a pretty large amount of icing.

I do treat it pretty shoddily, probably because this indicates Nintendo's ventures into a mixture of casual and iPhone land. As I've said before about the DSi, it is the one thing I actually still respected Nintendo for. That they didn't have too much extra crap on their consoles even though they got slammed for not having a DVD player. Now I know already that we're going to get a friggin' DVD player on our Wii 2s and have to pay more, even if only slightly, for a feature which is simply not necessary.

In their own way, these features are just gimmicks. Only they don't even pretend to be video-game-related.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There really isn't a valid complaint to loosing GBA games; the main reason being the precedent.

Look at the Game Boy Advance. The very first release played any Game Boy game. Then the SP was released with a back light, and it too played Game Boy games. Then came the micro, which shafted its predecessor and removed the ability to play Game Boy games.

Now look at the DS. Same thing, no Game Boy games. Luckily we got to play GBA games. DS Lite kept GBA games, and now the DSi is removing the option. Really, if you ask me it is just a way for Nintendo to move on. We are basically seeing the same thing as the GBA series. By the time the 2nd remake is issued they ditch the last generation.

Yes some games use the GBA slot, but if you have a problem with the lack of a GBA slot then just play a DS or DS Lite. Guitar Hero on the DS is poor at best (seriously, 4 buttons? No... 5 buttons or nothing.) but let's not get into that. Pokemon doesn't NEED the GBA slot. The only people who are going to be using the PAL park are the dedicated players who have the need to actually collect every single Pokemon or the competitive players. If you fit into either of those categories, then I doubt you will mind having to keep playing your Lite or original DS; the game that you love should be more important than the system it is played on at that point.

You can genuinely want to play your GBA games too, but my recommendation is to really just get an SP... I just recently bought a refurbished SP with no scratches or dents for $35 so it isn't like it is an expensive thing. You can even go cheaper and get the original GBA. But if you want to play the entire Game Boy library you are going to need two systems no matter what. Some form of the DS, and something that plays Game Boy games. Mine as well make it what in my opinion is the best system for GBA games and plays Game Boy games with a back light.

You may not like the new features but that doesn't make them useless by any means. For me, somebody who doesn't have a "can do everything" phone, the DSi be a time saver. I could have my music, games, browse the internet, and a camera. That's two things I have to bring with me now instead of my current 4, being my phone, Zune, camera and DS. 3 things if I am in the mood for Game Boy games.

Really there are few reasons not to upgrade. Money, not caring for the extra features/already owning a DS, and homebrew. The current DS homebrew doesn't work on the DSi but you know it is only a matter of time until that is changed. So the last one becomes more of a not upgrade yet option.

Every system can always be better than it is, that is a fact. Doesn't make it bad by any means though.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There really isn't a valid complaint to loosing GBA games; the main reason being the precedent.

Look at the Game Boy Advance. The very first release played any Game Boy game. Then the SP was released with a back light, and it too played Game Boy games. Then came the micro, which shafted its predecessor and removed the ability to play Game Boy games.

Now look at the DS. Same thing, no Game Boy games. Luckily we got to play GBA games. DS Lite kept GBA games, and now the DSi is removing the option. Really, if you ask me it is just a way for Nintendo to move on. We are basically seeing the same thing as the GBA series. By the time the 2nd remake is issued they ditch the last generation.
Because the Micro was wildly successful, and its example should be followed, mirite?

Yes some games use the GBA slot, but if you have a problem with the lack of a GBA slot then just play a DS or DS Lite. Guitar Hero on the DS is poor at best (seriously, 4 buttons? No... 5 buttons or nothing.) but let's not get into that.
So what you're saying is that you may just have to not use the DSi.

What's the point of a system which you need an earlier version of in order to exploit all of the potential features?

Pokemon doesn't NEED the GBA slot. The only people who are going to be using the PAL park are the dedicated players who have the need to actually collect every single Pokemon or the competitive players. If you fit into either of those categories, then I doubt you will mind having to keep playing your Lite or original DS; the game that you love should be more important than the system it is played on at that point.
Yes, I fit into one of those categories. I will keep my Phat no matter what, there's no question in that, it's just pointless to not have to drag around an MP3 player and a camera if I still need a Phat, is it not?

And even besides Pal Park there's the slot use for catching wild Pokemon. Not even just for collecting, but what about trying for a shiny or something?

You can genuinely want to play your GBA games too, but my recommendation is to really just get an SP... I just recently bought a refurbished SP with no scratches or dents for $35 so it isn't like it is an expensive thing. You can even go cheaper and get the original GBA. But if you want to play the entire Game Boy library you are going to need two systems no matter what. Some form of the DS, and something that plays Game Boy games. Mine as well make it what in my opinion is the best system for GBA games and plays Game Boy games with a back light.
I have an original Game Boy, a Game Boy Color, an original GBA, and a GBA SP. I have more than enough ways to play Game Boy games. It's just convenient to be able to use one device for both GBA and DS games, especially since the DS screen is higher quality than the GBA SP's, having a backlight rather than a frontlight.

I love my SP but I like using my DS for it too.

You may not like the new features but that doesn't make them useless by any means. For me, somebody who doesn't have a "can do everything" phone, the DSi be a time saver. I could have my music, games, browse the internet, and a camera. That's two things I have to bring with me now instead of my current 4, being my phone, Zune, camera and DS. 3 things if I am in the mood for Game Boy games.
I don't have a "can do everything" phone either. I have an iPod Touch but it has no videos and no music on it at the moment, and only the iPhone has a camera. The only thing it has is internet browsing.

I find it much more enjoyable to have my Video iPod, my entire handheld collection, and my camera. If I feel like just listening to music on a car trip or something I can just plug in my headphones and listen without worrying about running out of DS-playing power. I've got about 6, 7 hours on my iPod and about the same on my DS. Give or take.

Or if I feel like doing both at one time, I can. I can't do that with a DSi if what I've heard is true.

And if I want good pictures to preserve memories, I'm not going to use the DSi camera. Sorry, but it's not very good quality. I have a pretty crappy digital camera and it's still loads better quality.

Really there are few reasons not to upgrade. Money, not caring for the extra features/already owning a DS, and homebrew. The current DS homebrew doesn't work on the DSi but you know it is only a matter of time until that is changed. So the last one becomes more of a not upgrade yet option.
Don't forget AR. That isn't changing unless someone figures out how to hack the DSi to make it work again.

Every system can always be better than it is, that is a fact. Doesn't make it bad by any means though.
No, but to me it is not worth upgrading from the DS. The only possible thing to gain as far as a gaming device goes is DSi exclusives, and the shop, which doesn't look promising either.

Unless the DSi is going to assist me and further my experience as a gaming device, it's not worth upgrading to. Thus far it doesn't look like it will.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I wish I knew what happened to my old silver SP. There wasn't a single scratch on that screen and the buttons were all in good order :(

Now I'm stuck playing old gameboy games on my color again.

Right now the DSi has nothing special that people who already have those extrat things as stand alone devices would make them want it. Nintendo DOES ditch the previous gen by the third consol though. It's done this since the original Gameboy.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
At this point, I'm now convinced your definition of "Fanboy" is "Someone who happens to like something that you don't"

That's like saying, "hey, my apple has a worm in it!" and then you say "Well it's still an apple! Really, you're just nitpicking the worst of it."

An apple, regardless of how crunchy, tasty and juicy it is, becomes terrible once you find out that there's a worm in it. Yeah, it's a perfectly good apple and you can still eat it and it will fill you up but no one's going to want it because there's a freaking worm in it!
Hey now, worms are good. Do you know they have more protein than steak?

But yeah, despite the flaws, I'm still getting this, since I only have an almost-dead DSphat, and all these flaws don't really effect me. (I pretty much use *ahem* certain computer programs to play all my GBA games, and I can always use my Sister's lite for the Pal Park.)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Nintendo DOES ditch the previous gen by the third consol though. It's done this since the original Gameboy.
Um...the Gameboy Color can play all GB and GBC games. There's no previous generation to ditch. The first handheld to not give full backwards compatibility is the Micro.

finalark

SNORLAX
At this point, I'm now convinced your definition of "Fanboy" is "Someone who happens to like something that you don't"
Actually my definition of "fanboy" is someone who constantly ****s to a franchise/company/ect. and refuses to admit its flaws. Fanboys also become extremely defensive whenever their franchise/ect. is disliked or just nitpicked to death then proceed to try and justify the flaws, usually tripping over and contradicting themselves.

D

Deleted member

Huh? What is Darkslash right about? I hate when people aren't specific.

Top Bottom