• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest Matchup?

HmwkLater

Smash Rookie
I guess this post is about what are everyones' thought on Ganondorf's worst matchup.. and see if there is a way to counter them. And hopefully learn much from this. To start off, I personally think Pit, Rosalina, and Samus are the most tricky characters to face off with Ganondorf. Pit and Samus both have brutally fast air execution combo from grab/airlaunch and Rosalina has that swole polygon in glitter that just mimics what Rosalina does like they are a pair of synchronized swimmer. I need some suggestions and feel free to leave your opinion on what you think is the hardest matchup.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I guess this post is about what are everyones' thought on Ganondorf's worst matchup.. and see if there is a way to counter them. And hopefully learn much from this. To start off, I personally think Pit, Rosalina, and Samus are the most tricky characters to face off with Ganondorf. Pit and Samus both have brutally fast air execution combo from grab/airlaunch and Rosalina has that swole polygon in glitter that just mimics what Rosalina does like they are a pair of synchronized swimmer. I need some suggestions and feel free to leave your opinion on what you think is the hardest matchup.
Pit, to me, is just Link with less annoying projectiles. His grab range is short, and his ground attacks can be punished with proper spacing. As long as you're keeping the pressure on him and spacing correctly, he's not bad at all. Wizard's Foot is a good approach tool when you get too close for arrows, and aerial wizard's foot is great at punishing an air chase. Don't challenge his side-B, as it has super armor, but it is unsafe on shield, so if you see it coming, shield and then punish. If you get offstage, don't use your double jump until the last possible moment, as his arrows can make you waste it.

Samus is a matchup where online lag can kill the entire thing, but in person it's much easier. The best way to approach Samus is by Powershielding her projectiles, but with lag, it's hard to shield them at all. Her roll is bad, but Ganon isn't fast enough to consistently punish it, so rollspam can be irritating. She's quite heavy as well, so rage can work in her favor. However, she is also very tall, so up-air and bair do work on her while grounded. Have to watch out for her up-air while in the air yourself, as it's one of the few moves that can challenge aerial Wizard's Foot safely. Don't let her charge her laser for free. Pressure her. She can't stop your approach and charge it at the same time. However, she can shoot you with the charge beam while you approach, which is what that shield is for. 99% of this matchup ever being bad is due to lag, as it ensures you can't time your shields correctly.

Rosalina is a matchup where you have to be very aggressive while being mindful of her range. You have to know when she and Luma are vulnerable. Do not challenge Luma as she's launching him out, as it is invincible for a brief period and will knock you away. Once you get between her and Luma, try to either dash attack or grab her (flame choke counts), and try to kill luma when she's in hitstun. Be warned that since she has deceptively long range, your usual game of spacing with down-tilt is not going to work, as her dash attack can punish it and knock you away without forcing her to cover a lot of distance. You're going to need to play counter to your Ganon instincts and rush her down. After launching Luma with her neutral B, she is vulnerable, so if you see her charging that, try to get above her or behind her before she lets go. If she lets go before you can get above her, quickly fast-fall and dash attack. Your goal is to get between her and Luma and then cause destruction - she is very light, so killing is not a problem once you get hits on her. If you knock her into the air, do not approach from directly below, as she has a HUGE disjoint on her down-air. Approach her from a downward angle, down-left or down-right, as her fair and bair hitboxes are high, and her dair only goes straight down, so Ganon's up-air can hit her in safety from this dead zone. Don't use any overly laggy aerials against her while she's grounded, as if she shields them or you whiff, she can knock you away and make you have to crawl through the Luma minefield all over again. If you get any moments of respite, try to kill Luma if it isn't already dead.

My worst matchup is Zero Suit Samus. The paralyzer combined with her speed and grab range make her a tough sell, as it's a projectile that holds you in place when it hits you, and she has guaranteed grab combos into her up-B, which kills. You have to time and space your approach perfectly to get any hits on her. However, if she plays aggressively, she is easily punished, and she dies at very low percent, so if you can get the hits, you're doing great. Ironically, a trick I learned from the AI in this matchup is that if you shield a paralyzer at mid range, you have time to roll toward her and still make a punish as long as you do so IMMEDIATELY after it hits your shield, so keep that in mind. Safer to spot dodge at close range.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
I think ZSS and Shiek are Ganon's worst matchups. I've never been up against a competent Rosalina player though, and I know a lot of people around here think that's also an awful matchup for Ganon.

Their speed and good hitboxes are just a pain to approach against, so they can get easy punishes on you unless you play the neutral impeccably.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
In my experience Sonic is a real thorn in Ganon's side. He is punishable but he's just so fast that those windows of opportunity are tiny.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
I think ZSS and Shiek are Ganon's worst matchups. I've never been up against a competent Rosalina player though, and I know a lot of people around here think that's also an awful matchup for Ganon.

Their speed and good hitboxes are just a pain to approach against, so they can get easy punishes on you unless you play the neutral impeccably.
Fortunately, they still have holes we can exploit. If you spot dodge a bouncing fish onstage, that's a free Fsmash.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
In my experience Sonic is a real thorn in Ganon's side. He is punishable but he's just so fast that those windows of opportunity are tiny.
I have some replays of me fighting a really annoying Sonic player. I managed to win, but I shudder to think about what a better Sonic player could do to Ganon.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
ZSS and Sonic immediately come to mind as very annoying people to go up against and Shiek as well. But another character that is a huge pain is Villager. His slingshot reaches far and I dont think I've beaten it with any of my aerials. Dodging , rolling and shielding all have to be used and that can lead to frame traps because of Lloid Rockets and his slow grab if you get caught blocking or he can get you any other number of ways. He also has his custom tree that can trip you for even more stage control and becomes annoying. If I can get a capture card I can show some vids of me playing my nephew and his Villager. The first 3 I can deal with pretty easily but Villager is a huge thorn in my side. Props to Pikachu and some of his customs as being annoying too.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
ZSS and Sonic immediately come to mind as very annoying people to go up against and Shiek as well. But another character that is a huge pain is Villager. His slingshot reaches far and I dont think I've beaten it with any of my aerials. Dodging , rolling and shielding all have to be used and that can lead to frame traps because of Lloid Rockets and his slow grab if you get caught blocking or he can get you any other number of ways. He also has his custom tree that can trip you for even more stage control and becomes annoying. If I can get a capture card I can show some vids of me playing my nephew and his Villager. The first 3 I can deal with pretty easily but Villager is a huge thorn in my side. Props to Pikachu and some of his customs as being annoying too.
Villager is hell, the matchup would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the slingshot, it's ridiculously safe

HmwkLater

Smash Rookie
Villager is hell, the matchup would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the slingshot, it's ridiculously safe
Yeah these are good points. I just came back from fighting Villager and his Side B and immediate slingshot corners Ganondorf easily unless you were to step back... Which is not so ideal.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
It's just got to be Pikachu. Small, fast, Combo's us to hell and back AND has easy kills on us. Ugh.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
It's just got to be Pikachu. Small, fast, Combo's us to hell and back AND has easy kills on us. Ugh.
I've had problems with Pikachu too. He's just so damn small! Doesn't help that Pikachu is also an underused character, so it's hard to get matchup practice, and even worse, the AI is so horrible with Pikachu that you can 3-stock level 9s with Ganon. It's almost as bad as the Sheik AI that loves to spam grenades and never uses bouncing fish.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I've had problems with Pikachu too. He's just so damn small! Doesn't help that Pikachu is also an underused character, so it's hard to get matchup practice, and even worse, the AI is so horrible with Pikachu that you can 3-stock level 9s with Ganon. It's almost as bad as the Sheik AI that loves to spam grenades and never uses bouncing fish.
Trudat!
I've recent had the good fortune to play a rather good pika player called U.K.L. and I am happy to report at we can tech the thunder-spike combo AND their dsmash.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Rosalina and Jigglypuff give me some trouble, but I'm absolutely defenseless against a Samus player.
Samus' roll makes her body so small that I can't hit it with the wizkick, thus she can spam rolls around me and charge her laser, most players tend to spam rockets and lasers against Ganon.
You block the laser and get rushed and grabbed. You jump over a missile and get shot by the laser. The only attack Ganon has to effectively punish rolls is the wizkick, but it seems to have no effect on Samus odd roll. Anyone else have these troubles?

I used to have trouble against Pikachu, but my friend exclusively plays Pika so I get a ton of practice.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Rosalina and Jigglypuff give me some trouble, but I'm absolutely defenseless against a Samus player.
Samus' roll makes her body so small that I can't hit it with the wizkick, thus she can spam rolls around me and charge her laser, most players tend to spam rockets and lasers against Ganon.
You block the laser and get rushed and grabbed. You jump over a missile and get shot by the laser. The only attack Ganon has to effectively punish rolls is the wizkick, but it seems to have no effect on Samus odd roll. Anyone else have these troubles?

I used to have trouble against Pikachu, but my friend exclusively plays Pika so I get a ton of practice.
Same, samus is a really tough match up for me.
I'm mostly theorizing now, but i think flame chain would make this match up easier because of it's range.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961

This is something I like to call "For Glory spam" that doesn't really carry over into high level play. It can be done by anyone with a projectile, but Link and Samus are the most common and annoying. A lot of characters have trouble with this, not just Ganon -- the fact that lag can throw off your shield timing makes it difficult to approach spammers in For Glory, and since every stage is FD, there's no platforms, so you are always in the projectiles' line of fire. Everyone's roll is difficult to punish, not just Samus', which is why For Glory spammers are so annoying. You have to time your wizard foot perfectly to hit her with it. However, since her ranged attacks have some windup time, simply rushing her down is an option. If you're close enough to get dash grabbed out of a blocked missile, you're close enough for Wizard's Foot or Dash Attack. If you read a dash grab, you can also roll out of shield yourself to avoid it. This is one of the keys to the ZSS matchup that also works on regular Samus.

In a tournament, you have the option to ban FD before the first match even starts, and Ganon loves Battlefield, so this will never be a problem with the actual matchup.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
cant you play your normal ganon against sheik and sonic? you kill like 60% earlier than sonic and 70% earlier than sheik.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
cant you play your normal ganon against sheik and sonic? you kill like 60% earlier than sonic and 70% earlier than sheik.
Not really. They both have excellent tools to prevent us from being able to get in and do damage. We have to play super defensively 90% of the time and the other 10% is us trying to punish.

On another note, Mii Gunner. When using the grenades, flame pillar and bomb drop against us they can make our life suck. Not to mention their rather fantastic Fair, which they can use to propel themselves away from us.
Not an easy matchup.

Last edited:

HmwkLater

Smash Rookie
Link and Samus are both extremely hard to punish IMO. What I find useful is that I never try to charge attack them. Constant use of ftilt and neutral attacks are enough to apply dmg and dtilt after choke is a good way to finish them (around 120%ish). Wiz kick is a very risky thing because for me, I get it cancelled by either boomerang or laser and that leaves ganon open for their long ass grab lol.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Link and Samus are both extremely hard to punish IMO. What I find useful is that I never try to charge attack them. Constant use of ftilt and neutral attacks are enough to apply dmg and dtilt after choke is a good way to finish them (around 120%ish). Wiz kick is a very risky thing because for me, I get it cancelled by either boomerang or laser and that leaves ganon open for their long *** grab lol.
You can't D-tilt them after a choke, only jab works.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Samus is more extremely tedious than scary to deal with. I rely on the usual bluffs into DA, and retreating D-air to cover rolls. You have to be careful about her edgeguard potential, and she's difficult to edgeguard too, however unless she sweetspots F-smash on you or lands Charge Shot, she won't KO you onstage easily. I think this matchup is actually even. Not easy to play, but when you learn how to play carefully and respond correctly to things, your higher KO power keeps you more than relevant.

Playing against Link is pretty much the same thing as Samus, though it's easier to fight him in D-tilt range and while he can KO better than Samus, you can gimp him extremely easily with N-air and U-air. This matchup imo is Ganon's favor 55/45. A good Link can still make it hard to approach, but your threat of KOing him instantly when he's offstage is too good to ignore.

I personally struggle most with Duck Hunt, who has a strong keepaway and a good grab game, and is also extremely small. What most annoys me about Duck Hunt is that he can almost always use his SideB to cover his landing unless you are directly under him.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Samus is more extremely tedious than scary to deal with. I rely on the usual bluffs into DA, and retreating D-air to cover rolls. You have to be careful about her edgeguard potential, and she's difficult to edgeguard too, however unless she sweetspots F-smash on you or lands Charge Shot, she won't KO you onstage easily. I think this matchup is actually even. Not easy to play, but when you learn how to play carefully and respond correctly to things, your higher KO power keeps you more than relevant.

Playing against Link is pretty much the same thing as Samus, though it's easier to fight him in D-tilt range and while he can KO better than Samus, you can gimp him extremely easily with N-air and U-air. This matchup imo is Ganon's favor 55/45. A good Link can still make it hard to approach, but your threat of KOing him instantly when he's offstage is too good to ignore.

I personally struggle most with Duck Hunt, who has a strong keepaway and a good grab game, and is also extremely small. What most annoys me about Duck Hunt is that he can almost always use his SideB to cover his landing unless you are directly under him.
I don't have much experience against Samus other than online but i agree that she's just really tedious to fight, probably one of the few matchups that aren't fun for me no matter who i play.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think in custom environment Ganon beats Rosalina 55/45. Our biggest weakness is getting gimped, which WDK solves. WDK also gets past Luma zoning a bit more easily than default. While Rosalina has good pokes and can punish hard with Luma, she is the tallest character in the game and very light. We can kill her very early on stage. Respect her DA and Fsmash and Ganon usually can kill her in far fewer hits. Also remember that Fthrow owns Luma.

Pit and Dark Pit imo are boring but even matchups. You can't edgeguard them easily, but they don't have great punishes besides Fsmash and SideB. Maybe they can edgeguard you but they have to usually work hard to gimp you. All you need to do in this matchup is safely get into Dtilt range over and over and punish their reaction to it.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
For me it's Rob.
He's one of the best campers in the game, he can gimp, he can KO at 110% - 130%, he's ot a good Grab Game, he's quite heavy - combined with a good recovery.
He's not as dangerous as Sheik in the neutral, but unlike her, he can kill you with other methods than just gimping.

Then again, with Customs the MU is a lot easier for Ganon.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
To me it seems you Ganoobs struggle most with R.O.B. as all Ganon seems to do well against R.O.B. is getting Gyro'ed and die.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Try battling good players. It's actually quite fun.
No because my strategy is battling only bad players. And since this is a very effective startegy for securing victory I do not wish to stray from it.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I have beaten my fair share of characters online: Freeliager, ZSS, Samus, Pikas, Toon Links, Links, Pits and Dark Pits, Sonics (I hold about a 78% win rate for 1-on-1 in about 2000 battles). There are 3 I fear above all else when I play against them: ROB, Yoshi, and Sheik. Z1GMA highlighted what I wanted to say about ROB, and Sheik plz. My thing with Yoshi, since we're on a FD stage, Eggs are an unavoidable problem for the characters I use (DK, Ganon, Ike and Marth for Sheiks). Ganon is far to slow, outranged, and is just to free for Yoshi and Yoshi can just passively rack damage and make you play their style until death. Bad Yoshis actually approach with weak nairs, while good ones use the entire playbook on you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I haven't had specific problems with Yoshi. He only gets annoying when he actually starts using grab/Egg Lay offensively which means you have to constantly be on your toes to figure out what he will do, but once you catch onto any of his habits, every one of them individually are punishable. The most scary thing about Yoshi is that he can punish nearly as hard as you can if you make a mistake. However it's still easier for Ganon to confirm KOs once you get Yoshi to danger percents.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Probably Sheik, because not only does she control the pace of the entire match with needles, meaning she never has to approach, she can kinda weave in and out whenever the hell she wants, she just has watch out for the quick start-up of Ganon's tilts and jab when getting in and punish the endlag. That's really about it. That, and an offstage Ganon is a guaranteed KO, since Sheik's bair can sort of ignore Ganon's Dark Dive if she spaces correctly.

Last edited:

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
No because my strategy is battling only bad players. And since this is a very effective startegy for securing victory I do not wish to stray from it.
Can't tell if serious or not.

Anyway, I sort've picked up Ganondork out of the blue when the Wii U version came out and now he's my secondary (sorry Ness).

I find the ZSS and Link matchups most difficult. It's hard to punish ZSS players even if you can read whether or not they'll go for a dash attack or whip after a paralyser shot. And I think the Link matchup is self-explanatory. Link just has the right tools to keep Ganon away, when he has trouble getting in in the first place.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've not had serious trouble with Link, though admittedly the vast majority of Link players on For Glory don't really understand how to play him, and don't efficiently use Bombs or Z-air. That being said though, Ganondorf I believe beats Link. When you get in D-tilt range, Link's options are very limited because his DA and F-air are not strong tools in footsies, and his grab is not a big enough threat to discourage you from shielding. And all you need to do to kill him is gimp him. Ganondorf's options to edgeguard Link are still extremely strong in this game, rather, they're better in this game because you don't risk getting edgehogged when chasing him. Just throw out a N-air or U-air at Link's recovery and he'll probably die.

I'm not sure what to think about ZSS right now. On paper I'd think it's a very hard matchup because she can easily juggle Ganondorf to death, however I believe Ganondorf is also perfectly capable of handling her in neutral. It's a guessing game to figure out what she does after paralyzer, but I wouldn't be afraid of spotdodging in this matchup. If she goes for DA, she goes through you, and if she goes for grab, then you get a punish. Try to avoid jumping a lot unless you think she's really grab happy in neutral. Punishing her DA is all about learning the right timing/spacing, but usually you can shieldgrab it if you're really fast, or if you're slightly late, you can turnaround D-tilt/grab depending on where she ends up. Don't be afraid to U-air/N-air her out of her Down-B if you're in a good position to do it immediately. Keep in mind U-air will often trade with her flip kick, but that's not a bad thing given ZSS is much lighter than Ganondorf.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I've not had serious trouble with Link, though admittedly the vast majority of Link players on For Glory don't really understand how to play him, and don't efficiently use Bombs or Z-air. That being said though, Ganondorf I believe beats Link. When you get in D-tilt range, Link's options are very limited because his DA and F-air are not strong tools in footsies, and his grab is not a big enough threat to discourage you from shielding. And all you need to do to kill him is gimp him. Ganondorf's options to edgeguard Link are still extremely strong in this game, rather, they're better in this game because you don't risk getting edgehogged when chasing him. Just throw out a N-air or U-air at Link's recovery and he'll probably die.

I'm not sure what to think about ZSS right now. On paper I'd think it's a very hard matchup because she can easily juggle Ganondorf to death, however I believe Ganondorf is also perfectly capable of handling her in neutral. It's a guessing game to figure out what she does after paralyzer, but I wouldn't be afraid of spotdodging in this matchup. If she goes for DA, she goes through you, and if she goes for grab, then you get a punish. Try to avoid jumping a lot unless you think she's really grab happy in neutral. Punishing her DA is all about learning the right timing/spacing, but usually you can shieldgrab it if you're really fast, or if you're slightly late, you can turnaround D-tilt/grab depending on where she ends up. Don't be afraid to U-air/N-air her out of her Down-B if you're in a good position to do it immediately. Keep in mind U-air will often trade with her flip kick, but that's not a bad thing given ZSS is much lighter than Ganondorf.
Nah, I'm pretty sure Link beats Ganon, but not by a huge stretch, maybe something like 40:60. Indeed, once Ganon gets inside, he can bring a beating, but you're also forgetting like has good tools like jab and nair. Jab is a getting disjoint that can ruin Ganon's ground approaches should he get close, and nair is fast enough to beat the start-up of most of Ganon's moves. Aerial approach? Nair, bomb, rang or zair. Also, edgeguarding Ganon is as easy for Link as it is for Ganon is not easier, simply because a nair is good enough to push him offstage, and so are his arrows, and then you have his dair actually being reliable because he can actually beat out Ganon's Dark Dive should he recover low. While I will admit Link isn't an uphill battle like everyone thinks, I find the prospect of Ganon beating Link to be kind of laughable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's actually a lot harder for Link to edgeguard Ganondorf most of the time as long as you didn't DI really poorly. You can U-air through Link if he tries to chase you offstage, and his projectiles rarely do enough to gimp you even if they actually do hit you. Link's D-air edgeguarding got nerfed because it basically doesn't kill like it did in Brawl.

Ganon beats Link because his midrange options and edgeguard options are scarier than Link's. I mean sure, Link has a good Jab, but you have to realize that and Z-air are basically his only decent tools in midrange, and once you're right outside of his Jab range, there's basically nothing Link can do to scare you, while Ganon's D-tilt, DA, and throw reward are much scarier than what Link has.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
It's actually a lot harder for Link to edgeguard Ganondorf most of the time as long as you didn't DI really poorly. You can U-air through Link if he tries to chase you offstage, and his projectiles rarely do enough to gimp you even if they actually do hit you. Link's D-air edgeguarding got nerfed because it basically doesn't kill like it did in Brawl.

Ganon beats Link because his midrange options and edgeguard options are scarier than Link's. I mean sure, Link has a good Jab, but you have to realize that and Z-air are basically his only decent tools in midrange, and once you're right outside of his Jab range, there's basically nothing Link can do to scare you, while Ganon's D-tilt, DA, and throw reward are much scarier than what Link has.
Umm...Dair can spike, which is easier to do against Ganon than most other characters since Link can cover his low recovery options with it. But what if he's holding a bomb? Good Links who can utilize bombs at midrange well should be able to keep Ganon away, even if he shields, due to how it bounces on shield. and by the time Ganon shields the bomb and the bomb bounce, or even attempts to grab it, Link will have already gotten far away enough to not even be in mid-range anymore. Granted, if Link ends up at the opposite end of the stage with nowhere to go, that's a different story, but Link shouldn't even be letting Ganon in midrange to begin with. Also, while not Ganon, a GIF detailing how useful and scary dair can be:
http://giant.gfycat.com/TatteredOrdinaryGlobefish.gif

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The picture you have is basically an extremely gimmicky scenario where a Link player got a montage moment. Not sure it really proves your point.

Link realistically will not be spiking you with his D-air. It's way too gimmicky and situational to pull off given how precise it is, and the huge commitment required behind it. The real advantage to D-air edgeguard is the lingering hitbox, which got massively nerfed and is no longer nearly as powerful of a KO move. He's better off trying to gimp you with F-air, but even that is not likely to work as long as you didn't DI poorly and have double jump U-air/airdodge handy. Link is more likely to get himself stage spiked trying to edgeguard you in normal situations, or if he's lucky, he tacks on some free damage or maybe gets a direct KO offstage.

Also the problem with Link relying on Bombs is he can't always have a Bomb in hand. Bombs are strong, but Link has to take time to pull them. And Link's long range game and mobility are nowhere nearly strong enough to keep Ganondorf out of midrange. At long range his projectiles are easily avoided, and Link doesn't exactly run or walk fast, and he lacks a strong DA in footsies, while Ganondorf in contrast has one of the best DAs in the game, meaning in midrange, Link is forced to be on the defensive against Ganon when he actually has considerable trouble directly outspacing Ganondorf. Sure, it might seem annoying that Link can shieldgrab a lot of Ganon's stuff, but you have to keep in mind that Link has some of the weakest throws in the game overall, so him grabbing you isn't a big deal as long as you can figure out his habits at an average pace and remember that he has to respect your midrange.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I feel the stage choice is always important. Overall, I view Sheik has always a big problem, ever since Melee. She has tools that she can use against Ganon, and is speedy so Ganon has a hard time landing in solid hits. In addition, she's immune to Ganondorf's choke->follow up, which means you need to guess where your opponent will go.

Though on flat stages, Link does have a good projectile and zoning game against Ganon.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I feel the stage choice is always important. Overall, I view Sheik has always a big problem, ever since Melee. She has tools that she can use against Ganon, and is speedy so Ganon has a hard time landing in solid hits. In addition, she's immune to Ganondorf's choke->follow up, which means you need to guess where your opponent will go.

Though on flat stages, Link does have a good projectile and zoning game against Ganon.
I think it's a similar case in Melee where stage choice can either make it or break for either one of them. Obviously on bigger/ flat stages Link dominates, but I could possibly see some potential for Ganon if he sends Link to Battlefield. The matchup in Melee was 50:50 for a reason after all.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
You can't D-tilt them after a choke, only jab works.
What? First of all, jab only works against fatter characters, like kirby and bowser. Second of all, D tilt works, but not on all characters. However, it works on more characters than jab.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Samus only becomes hard when you allow her to play her game. Against her, Jab is specifically a good move to punish her with a quick whiff, and should be used a ton in this match-up. Moves like Wizard Kick and Ftilt as punishing tools are not a good idea against her and should be kept at a minimum. She's actually fairly easy if you keep it safe.

Top Bottom