• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hanzo Academy's Star Student: Asuka for Super Smash Bros Switch (Mai Is Down, What Does That Mean For Asuka?)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Plus, her Shinobi outfit isn't that different from her Academy uniform, so you could easily have a costume alt

anyway put me down for that list
And finished.

Can agree that her Shibobi outfit is quite tame, just some shadow is needed and she fits like glove.

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, I don’t think Smash Bros has anything like Senran Kagura’s Aerial Raves, so there’s that. Having tried Yumi in BlazBlue, I’m certain Aerial Raves would be hella unique.

Also, looking at Asuka herself, if we discount the clothing damage that’s abundant in the series her design is...actually kinda tame compared to other shinobi in the series. Like Yumi, for example. Her popularity is huge (I mean, she was the first SK character to get into Blazblue before anyone else), and there’s no doubt there would be people that want her, but fam, that yukata of hers is a liiiiittle too loose for her to be in Smash.
This. This is why I doubt we will get Yumi before her. Unless her fans will be happy with her having a sarashi, there is no way that her design would be changed without complaints. While I don't mind her popularity, Asuka is the true protagonist and would make more sense to include first in Smash.

I bet there would be complaints of "she gets no support/popularity for Smash over Yumi, so how did she get in??" and "doesn't Marvelous own No More Heroes, they should have used Travis instead". Further showing how disconnected the hardcore base are from the more casual or general fans.
Bingo. I see enough people calling Travis a Marvelous rep when he is more of a Grasshopper character with the publishing rights of No More Heroes being all over the place.

Sure I would expect some mild jealousy from Mai fans and concerned parents thinking she has no place in a kids game. But here we are, with a somehow tamer Bayonetta and Snake that works fine. People can argue that oppai is the main focus of the series all they want, but the action plays a bigger part in the series on top of some recent games having an option to remove the clothing damage/close ups with no issue.

Fun Fact, the fandom has a surprisingly big female fandom. Can confirm as someone who used to be on the Senran International Forums and server. So much for a male only series.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Also, looking at Asuka herself, if we discount the clothing damage that’s abundant in the series her design is...actually kinda tame compared to other shinobi in the series. Like Yumi, for example. Her popularity is huge (I mean, she was the first SK character to get into Blazblue before anyone else), and there’s no doubt there would be people that want her, but fam, that yukata of hers is a liiiiittle too loose for her to be in Smash.

The gif alone should tell you everything. It’s no secret that SK is known for its jiggle physics, but I doubt there will be much uproar over them being downplayed for Smash. Besides, it already happened with Blue Mary, and she’s even more stacked than Mai, who doesn’t even bounce in certain games. I noticed after playing KoF 2K to better acquaint myself with Terry.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

The gif alone should tell you everything. It’s no secret that SK is known for its jiggle physics, but I doubt there will be much uproar over them being downplayed for Smash. Besides, it already happened with Blue Mary, and she’s even more stacked than Mai, who doesn’t even bounce in certain games. I noticed after playing KoF 2K to better acquaint myself with Terry.
Huh?

Blue Mary's chest bounces in Smash? Hold on just a minute, I gotta check this out.

EDIT: Strange. I don't see it with Blue Mary in Smash. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, I dunno.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Huh?

Blue Mary's chest bounces in Smash? Hold on just a minute, I gotta check this out.

EDIT: Strange. I don't see it with Blue Mary in Smash. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you said, I dunno.
I should have worded that a bit more properly: they made Mary less bouncy in Smash, if not completely static, so the same could be applicable to the likes of Asuka. Hopefully that’s a bit more clear.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace

Fun Fact, the fandom has a surprisingly big female fandom. Can confirm as someone who used to be on the Senran International Forums and server. So much for a male only series.
I could've guessed this. It's ninja Sailor Moon with a side of tongue-in-cheek fanservice. It's a lighthearted, story-driven series filled with powerful cute girls, good gameplay, and action that has a decent dress up mode. Senran Kagura is also one of the few games that let you play as an old lady and I love that s***.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I should have worded that a bit more properly: they made Mary less bouncy in Smash, if not completely static, so the same could be applicable to the likes of Asuka. Hopefully that’s a bit more clear.
Ah. Okay. That makes sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I could've guessed this. It's ninja Sailor Moon with a side of tongue-in-cheek fanservice. It's a lighthearted, story-driven series filled with powerful cute girls, good gameplay, and action that has a decent dress up mode. Senran Kagura is also one of the few games that let you play as an old lady and I love that s***.
Also the requisite dude, though he's the resident Dan Hibiki, so I'm not sure if that counts for much.

Also also, the old lady reminds me of Power Instinct in a sense.

Do kinda wish the monster-fightan aspect was focused on a tad more, but that's it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Also the requisite dude, though he's the resident Dan Hibiki, so I'm not sure if that counts for much.

Also also, the old lady reminds me of Power Instinct in a sense.

Do kinda wish the monster-fightan aspect was focused on a tad more, but that's it.
Yes, Murasame. Ikaruga's loser stepbrother who only been playable once in the series. Takaki did admit he added him for a bit more diversity and looked at boy magazines for special research on getting his poses right.

Yes, ninja granny is awesome. Even if she does like to rag on the Kagura Festival girls alot. Takaki did an April Fools joke with her a few years ago, your mileage may vary on the joke being funny or disturbing.

I am honestly expecting no jiggle physics, got to keep that A rating after all. The best they allow it for was elastic bodies or fat stomachs since they are more comical. But I would gladly accept it if it means any SK representation at all.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
been re-listening to the SKSV ost, and this is actually pretty killer soundtrack

Would love this in smash absolutely

amageish

Smash Master
Hello!

You can put me down as a supporter! Asuka would be a fun pick and I'd love to see Marvelous get in the game someone. Also, she somehow missed the initial 2.0 of BBTAG and I think she deserves some compensation...

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
been re-listening to the SKSV ost, and this is actually pretty killer soundtrack

Would love this in smash absolutely
Preach it. It's an enigma as to why there isn't an Awesome Music page for the series on TV Tropes yet.

Hello!

You can put me down as a supporter! Asuka would be a fun pick and I'd love to see Marvelous get in the game someone. Also, she somehow missed the initial 2.0 of BBTAG and I think she deserves some compensation...
Welcome aboard, mate! With more fighters on the way and an emphasis on new 3rd party characters from more new companies, I'd say we're on a steady path.

amageish

Smash Master
Welcome aboard, mate! With more fighters on the way and an emphasis on new 3rd party characters from more new companies, I'd say we're on a steady path.
For sure! Marvelous spirits in the game certainly don't hurt anyone either.

D

Deleted member

Hello!

Senran Kagura in general would be an out-of-field pick, though her addition would be soooo surprising enough that it will raise the game's age rating!

D

Deleted member

Not really. Ultimate briefly got a T rating (or, more accurately, E10+-T), but only because they brought up the game a character was promoting, during a character showcase. :ulthero:
Come to think of it, what if Ultimate gets a re-release and raises the age rating to T?

Hypothetically, this would alienate teh audience a little bit. But seeing that Brawl got the T rating as well, I kinda see this as quite fishy.

On the plus side, if we did get a T Rating raise, we might get to see Mai...

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I doubt Asuka would raise the age rating anyway. She's less sexually explicit than Bayonetta is without her awakened state, and there's really no guarantee of spirit boards post pass either.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hello!

Added. Welcome, you are right that she deserves justice. Time may tell.

I doubt Asuka would raise the age rating anyway. She's less sexually explicit than Bayonetta is without her awakened state, and there's really no guarantee of spirit boards post pass either.
Agree. I also have my doubts on more spirit boards since adding more may take work. Even with some adjustments, looking at you Kat and Haruka.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My point is, it really doesn't look very much like we're getting a particularly known character at the rate things are going. Almost every character that failed to get the FP5 character is from a big third-party.

I really feel like we're in for a wild card for this one. :ultrob:

D

Deleted member

My point is, it really doesn't look very much like we're getting a particularly known character at the rate things are going. Almost every character that failed to get the FP5 character is from a big third-party.

I really feel like we're in for a wild card for this one. :ultrob:
Heh, the Ace Attorney fam will flip their **** should this be real.

My bets for this one would be Fate's Saber, or even Reimu for God knows what.

amageish

Smash Master
Here's some Senran Kagura localization trivia from XSeed!

Between this and the earlier fact about potentially naming Story of Seasons "Plow and Propose," I think there is someone in the team who is at least partly trolling people with title suggestions...

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
At this point I'm doubting #5 is even a third party at all. The only third parties really left are ones that are extraordinarily unlikely as of now, so it makes more sense for it to be a character brushed aside as "deconfirmed" at outset.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point I'm doubting #5 is even a third party at all. The only third parties really left are ones that are extraordinarily unlikely as of now, so it makes more sense for it to be a character brushed aside as "deconfirmed" at outset.
That's what I'm thinking as well. Should that happen, everyone who thought the whole pass would be third-party only would blow a fuse, because apparently "these characters are new to Smash" means Reggie can't be wrong according to them, right. :laugh:

Bonus points if there is a character shown off right after FP5 at the VGAs, and that one is actually the third party.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Here's some Senran Kagura localization trivia from XSeed!

Between this and the earlier fact about potentially naming Story of Seasons "Plow and Propose," I think there is someone in the team who is at least partly trolling people with title suggestions...
This is hilarious. I bet if they kept the original name, it would be taken much less serious. Senran Kagura has a more mysterious and ninja feel to it.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Should that happen, everyone who thought the whole pass would be third-party only would blow a fuse, because apparently "these characters are new to Smash" means Reggie can't be wrong according to them, right. :laugh:

Bonus points if there is a character shown off right after FP5 at the VGAs, and that one is actually the third party.
We will see, at least one curveball, first or third, should be a game changer.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Heck, I was doubtful that the series would have even come out of Japan in the first place, due to the gameplay gimmick. Thank god for XSEED pulling through.
Yes, bless XSEED. I never would had found a fun series with great characters without them.

You all know Sakurai and his surprises, so I probably think a curveball is likely.

Mmhmm, never underestimate Sakurai and his surprises. I would rather have the unexpected than the expected any day.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
That's interesting. The woman who convinced me to try out SK jocularly refers to it as Ninjubblies, I s*** you not. She wasn't far off. I'm relieved that they ended up going with Senran Kagura.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's interesting. The woman who convinced me to try out SK jocularly refers to it as Ninjubblies, I s*** you not. She wasn't far off. I'm relieved that they ended up going with Senran Kagura.
Lmao. I would imagine the series would have less respect if they went with a name so on the nose.

With Senran Kagura, it means War to Become Kagura. Kagura being the highest ninja rank in the series and what the four schools want to become. Hanzo, Kiriya, Sayuri, Daidouji, and Rin are close too are achieved this rank already as the strongest ninja in the land. Therefore, the current name is a great one.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Someone brought up an interesting point. Because Sakurai already approached Marvelous for Daemon x Machina just for spirits and with no character in mind, it possibly rules out any Marvelous character for the pass for now. But post pass makes them likely to be approached again.

Thoughts?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Someone brought up an interesting point. Because Sakurai already approached Marvelous for Daemon x Machina just for spirits and with no character in mind, it possibly rules out any Marvelous character for the pass for now. But post pass makes them likely to be approached again.

Thoughts?
That seems reasonable. I get the feeling that FP5 isn't actually a third-party, and is a character that's been overlooked by most people due to silly fan rules.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That seems reasonable. I get the feeling that FP5 isn't actually a third-party, and is a character that's been overlooked by most people due to silly fan rules.
Or it could be a third party that literally hasn't been brought up in speculation at all.

amageish

Smash Master

Thoughts?
Um. No? If they are the 5th character, then they would have been approached long before the spirits came out.

If the question is "If a Marvelous character is the fifth character, then why didn't they save Marvelous spirits to come out alongside the character?", then the answer is fairly obvious: Daemon x Machina was coming out and nobody cared, so Nintendo and Marvelous wanted to get some more eyes on it. You wouldn't wait until February 2020 to promote your September 2019 game.

We don't know if Sakurai approached them just for spirits or not. It could be just spirits (Koei Tecmo hasn't gotten much benefit from their co-ownership of the Fatal Frame spirits) or it could be more then that (ATLUS got a singular Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE spirit and then later got Joker). That said, the details of said negotiations will probably never be public and I don't think we'll know until either a Marvelous character is added to the game or the DLC cycle ends.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Um. No? If they are the 5th character, then they would have been approached long before the spirits came out.

If the question is "If a Marvelous character is the fifth character, then why didn't they save Marvelous spirits to come out alongside the character?", then the answer is fairly obvious: Daemon x Machina was coming out and nobody cared, so Nintendo and Marvelous wanted to get some more eyes on it. You wouldn't wait until February 2020 to promote your September 2019 game.

We don't know if Sakurai approached them just for spirits or not. It could be just spirits (Koei Tecmo hasn't gotten much benefit from their co-ownership of the Fatal Frame spirits) or it could be more then that (ATLUS got a singular Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE spirit and then later got Joker). That said, the details of said negotiations will probably never be public and I don't think we'll know until either a Marvelous character is added to the game or the DLC cycle ends.
Yeah, Daemon spirits only gives us a window for potentially when a Marvelous character would have been negotiated for post-pass, but even then they could have just been sitting on the spirits for promotion timing

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, Daemon spirits only gives us a window for potentially when a Marvelous character would have been negotiated for post-pass, but even then they could have just been sitting on the spirits for promotion timing
Definitely. It could be post-pass negotiations or it could be part of a pass negotiation or it could just be spirits with nothing else coming down the line. Hard to definitively say and we won't really know until something is announced...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I think the spirits are more just a window of opportunity. Daemon got the spirits just to promote the game when the sales were not good. Now whether the sales are worst than other Marvelous IPs like Senran Kagura or Story of Seasons, we will never know.

The way I see it, a Marvelous character has the best chance of being post pass since they at least got some content in Smash. The bigger question is who since it is between Asuka and the SoS Farmer.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Aside from this bit, I think I learned that first impressions depend heavily on the game and its contents, with this series in particular being a very delicate one (to see what I mean, watch the full VOD in a few days).
image.jpg

I drew this as part of my personal challenge of drawing my top 9 games of the year. I’m still a bit rough around the edges, but honestly, I’m still happy about how it turned out.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Oh damn, Jon played an SK game, sad I missed that

Hopefully he gets around to the actual games at some point and not just peach ball, I think he'd get a kick out of Burst Re:Newal
Anyway I have a legit question for y'all

Why does Homura have the best music

Last edited:
Top Bottom