• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo 2/3 and Brawl are not comparable. So stop bashing Halo.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Smash is better. Halo is for newbs. Lol. But seriously I enjoy the fighting style of ssbm over halo.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
They CAN be compared, but not directly with one another.

Smash as a 2D Fighting game is unmatched...

Halo (Even 3) is just a console FPS, overshadowed by the PC FPS's (see Half Life 2: Episode 2)

user_name

Smash Apprentice
I am a nintendo fan boy. I have never owned a system outside of Nintendo's box. However, I have played Halo 2, and I play the multiplayer with my friends every weekend. I can safely say that it is AMAZINGly fun, and if you deny that it's good, please, I urge you to answer this question, have you even PLAYED It?

But Halo and Smash Brothers are in totally different realms of fighting.

TWO different realms of fighting.

Halo takes the first person perspective, so having a screen to yourself is better than splitting it up. With smash brothers, there is no need for another TV because playing by yourself or with 3 other people makes no difference on the quality of the game play.

Halo is amazingly fun. And so is Brothers, too. But they are fun in different ways, and they go about different aspects about fighting, so I'm sick of all of you saying halo sucks because it does not, and how Brawl is better - because it ISNT.

But Halo isn't better than Smash brothers either - they are uncomparable, and both EXCELLENT games.

Thank you.

:chuckle:

I don't know, it looks like there are characters jumping in BOTH the screen shots.

On a more serious note, Ive always thought Halo was a good game, but didn't deserve quite the hype it got, although Halo 2 and Halo 3 left the franchise stale, and thus decreased in quality over time, to the point where you have a game which would have been decent in 2001, but releasing today is kind of like releasing Unreal Tournament 2 today and saying it's somehow revolutionary.

The first Halo brought together a decent story-line, beautiful graphics, a good physics engine, a nice variety of maps and weapons, good control, standard FPS game play, and fairly good AI. Unfortunately Halo 2 and 3 have failed to improve on this very much.

Story wise, Halo stayed pretty consistent between the first two games in quality, but I had trouble telling what the hell halo 3 was trying to be other than a cluster**** of shallow plot elements. Was it an action shooter? Was it a survival horror? Was an an 'artsy' mystery game? The story theme seemed to change fast enough to induce seizures in small Asian children, result in a fairly shallow story.

Theres not much to say about the physics in Halo. In short, they're good. They have their quirks, but there's not much to complain about other than a couple of bugs. Halo 2 did quite a good job fixing some of the unreliability with vehicles, which was nice, but other than that didn't add a whole lot. Halo 3 physics seem almost identical to the Halo 2 physics, with the exception of a few bug fixes. This is fine, as the Halo 2 physics system wasn't bad, but it's gotten old, and games like CoD, UT, and even HL2 have a better engine (or at least implement the engine) better than the one used in Halo.

Graphically, Halo was amazing. It was beautiful. It was graphical complex and accurate at the same time, with few graphical glitches. Halo 2 was then released and didn't offer much improvement. This was fine, as the bit of improvement it offered brought it up to about the graphical standard for Xbox games. Graphically decent, but nothing outstanding. Unfortunately, Halo 3 fails to improve upon the graphical aspect of the game very much. This is very unfortunate as it's graphically far behind what a commercially developed game for the Xbox 360 with this much hype SHOULD look like. Yes, its a bit prettier, but it's not all that noticeable, and honestly there were times playing through the game where I thought MP3 looked much better.

Game play is pretty standard. Standard shooter. Almost no change on this front, as it should be. It is a FPS, after all.

Control in the first Halo was great. Although it was a bit finicky, for its time it was one of the few console shooters that actually handled well. Unfortunately, 'Bungie' has failed to play with this much in Halo 2 and 3, and, like the graphics, it's fallen behind other games. It's not nearly as good as RE4, for example, and laughable when compared to the control in MP3, which was godly.

There were enough maps and weapons in the first Halo, but 'Bungie' hasn't added a whole lot, although there were a few cool weapons in Halo 3, and being able to tear turrets right from their.... turrets... was pretty awesome. A bit of improvement, but again, not quite good enough to live up to all the hype.

The AI in Halo was great. It didn't improve much in Halo 2, which wasn't to bad because that quality of AI was about decent at the time Halo 2 was released, but again, Halo 3 has fallen far behind. A good example is the warthog. completely useless outside of co-op. If you let a CPU character man the turret they cant hit a single target, and a CPU driver will drive straight into a wall or rock! Horrendous when compared to today's standards.

The multi-player is what most people rave about, and although its good, and there have been some improvements flexibility wise, at this point it's not much more than decent (still no bot players), and the gravity hammer pretty much cancels out the idea of nerfing the energy sword.

All in all the game hasn't changed much, and I blame this on the lack of the actual Bungie team. The founder and many of the key members of the team left shortly after the release of the first Halo (and the realization that they had just been whored out by Microsoft) to form Wideload games, and independent development studio.

Bungie brought us Myth, Marathon, and Halo. 'Bungie's' Halo 2 and 3 don't even get close to living up to those three games, probably a result of not actually being Bungie.

EDIT: Thanks to whoever picked the two already confirmed characters off my top ten list in my sig. You probably wont see this, but to whichever mod did it, much thanks =P

what have you got against final fantasy?
It sucks. What more do you want?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
They're both great games. Both of them have a lot to offer to gamers everywhere.
Stop hating on Halo. It's a great series, like the Super Smash Bros series.

Pyr0

Smash Ace

Halo (Even 3) is just a console FPS, overshadowed by the PC FPS's (see Half Life 2: Episode 2)
This post really sums it up.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I thought this was obvious and the only people who didn't understand this were morons. So why is this thread here?

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
Yes they can be compared and I'll compare them right now. Halo 3 requires more team work while Smash requires more individual skill.

IMO Halo has more variety with Capture the Flag and stuff and the maps changing stuff so much but Smash is way more fun 1v1.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I agree that they're two totally different games and hard to compare. The gameplay is unique for each. But i can't help but draw comparisons between the two. Let's make a list!!

Both are 3rd installment of a succesful franchise
Both sold tons of copies and continue to sell around the world
Both now feature online play
both have video playback features
Both have level editors
Both now have downloadable/updateable content
Both have compelling and co-op story modes
Both have virtually limitless customization options
The list goes on...

And I'm sure that as we get updates the comparisons will only become stronger. Of course the most important thing is that they're both UNBELIEVABLY FUN. I love them both and plan to get them both. I can't help but think that these two games are looking to be THE MOST EPIC GAMES OF ALL TIME. It's like the HOLY DUO. And I LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS.
Dojo, over and out.

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Do. Not. Compare.

Both these two games deserve the glory they have, and Halo just seems to be very very popular, and JUST because of the fact that It's popular, you guys compare it to Brawl. This is nonsence.

I am not going to bother to explain, simply because some minds over here can't think futher then: "Halo is not fun Brawl is fun". Your just being plain ******** when comparing two universes together. They have absolutely nothing in common other then being a game.

But, yes. On a side note - I think a Smash Bros. forum issn't the best place to praise Halo.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
its like religion and science, they both should not be in the same conversation. BRAWL pwns. Halo Pwns. end of story.

DuoKaizane

Smash Cadet
At least I see some level-headed people here.

Were I to check unto a Halo 3 forum under the same topic and suggestions, there would be a mass uproar in the "community," without so much as an independent thought on how the games truly seemed.

-DuoKaizane

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Let's just be greatful that we are living through the time when the two greatest games to touch the face of the earth are being released withing a few months of each other. If only Sony had KH3 set for december. I swear, when I hear 2010 for that i nearly crapped a brick.

Croco

Smash Lord
On Halo forums they can go ahead and say Brawl sucks.. and on these forums any of us have any right to say the Halo series sucks.

Personally I believe the Halo series is overrated.. especially in the USA.
The story was just lame.. and boring.
Multiplay is great.. but I rather play Team Fortress or UT3 if I want to play a good first person shooter online.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Both have level editors
I still wouldn't consider Halo 3's "level editor" a real "level editor". Its a "select where vehicles will spawn mode" which severly limits its creativity.

They could have at least added the option to increase/decrease the size of pre-existing structures or something. Its basically a tacked on useless mode as it is and it is more then dissapointing.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Both sold tons of copies and continue to sell around the world
Do you live in future land or something?
Brawl isn't out yet.

Croco said:
Personally I believe the Halo series is overrated.. especially in the USA.
just because a game is overrated doesn't mean it's bad.
I personally think that you shouldn't let other peoples' opinions effect your's.

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
The only reason these 2 games are getting compared is because they are the biggest games on their console. Comparing these games is like comparing apples and oranges.

Apples are round as are oranges (HEY they're both videogames!)

They both have seeds (Gee whiz man these games are HUGE!)

However....

Apples are red oranges are well...orange (Halo's a FPS NOOB! Brawl is fighting! LOLZ)

Oranges taste different (These games are nothing alike. The halo disc tastes like citrus!!!)

I have no idea what I just wrote.

Uke

Smash Cadet
I am a nintendo fan boy. I have never owned a system outside of Nintendo's box. However, I have played Halo 2, and I play the multiplayer with my friends every weekend. I can safely say that it is AMAZINGly fun, and if you deny that it's good, please, I urge you to answer this question, have you even PLAYED It?

But Halo and Smash Brothers are in totally different realms of fighting.

TWO different realms of fighting.

Halo takes the first person perspective, so having a screen to yourself is better than splitting it up. With smash brothers, there is no need for another TV because playing by yourself or with 3 other people makes no difference on the quality of the game play.

Halo is amazingly fun. And so is Brothers, too. But they are fun in different ways, and they go about different aspects about fighting, so I'm sick of all of you saying halo sucks because it does not, and how Brawl is better - because it ISNT.

But Halo isn't better than Smash brothers either - they are uncomparable, and both EXCELLENT games.

Thank you.

:chuckle:
Halo 1 - Let's get the &%$@ outta here!
Halo 2 - OH NOES POINTLESS CLIFFHANGER
Halo 3 - Master Chief dies! (I kid)

Smash Bros. - lulz naked Samus?
Smash Bros. Melee - Marth is a girl and Roy is his lover. On a side note, Zelda is actually a guy. Oh snap, it's Game and Watch! Too many clones, GTFO nao clones
Smash Bros. Brawl - PUT SONIC IN!!! *puts Sonic in and release date gets pushed back* TAKE SONIC OUT!!!

Fix'd

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
One of the series is incredibly overrated and the other is not.

Halo isn't even the king of its own world. UT3 and CoD4 will kick the crap out of Halo 3.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Halo really doesn't do anything I haven't seen a thousand times before. Halo is just another FPS game whereas something like Doom and Wolfenstein practically invented the genre, Counterstrike altered it, Jedi Knight took it in a different direction, and games like Battlefield expanded on it. Halo has the same old FPS gameplay set in a sci-fi universe. We've seen it time and time again, and nothing Halo does is actually unique or new. The saving grace of it is Halo 3's online system, which is quite good. But the real draw of Halo is the community, not really the game itself. It's not that Halo is a great series, it's just everyone's playing its multiplayer. I'm not really sure why it caught on in the first place (maybe it was the only decent game at the XBox's launch that had online multiplayer). But that Mountain Dew drink is tasty.

Then you look at Smash Brothers. It reinvented a genre, or rather, it created its own genre. And then there are a couple of series trying to copy its style of gameplay, but nothing even comes close. Then you look at the changes between games. Smash 64 to Melee was a huge list of changes. Melee to Brawl is a gigantic list of changes. Halo to Halo 2 to Halo 3...isn't. There's not much of anything new in the Halo series, and it's quite stagnant. A game as popular as Halo should define its genre, not have the genre define the game.

When it comes down to it, yeah, Halo's fun. But it could be so much more. Smash Brothers constantly reinvents itself to the point where I never feel like I'm playing the same game each time a new one comes out. Halo just needs to do something to make it distinct from other FPS games, and right now that's only its online service. Other games are going to mold their online services after Halo 3's, so even that won't be too unique in the next year or two.

In my mind, they aren't comparable. The Halo series doesn't do enough things unique to define itself as a unique game (and between installments) to even warrant a comparison to Smash Brothers. Halo 3 was fun, but so was Doom 3. I'll play Halo 3's multiplayer, but it isn't anything I haven't seen before.

Smash Ace
brawl won't be fun to play for 24/7 straight after beating it 3 times on hard and legend and playing it online for 20 matches. ;)

with Stage creator, Brawl will be endless-even by yourself.
=2007=

kaibyaku

Smash Apprentice
Halo is overrated. Fanboys will tell you how amazing they think it is over, and over, and over, and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. I just don't think the game is that good. If I wanted to play an FPS a few years back, I wouldn't even have looked at a console to play one. The controls are horrible, nothing beats mouse and keyboard, end of story. Don't get me wrong, I love FPS's, I just think Halo is an overrated one.

Yes I have played it. I've played Halo 1, on both Xbox and PC, I've played Halo 2 and Halo 3, and they're nothing but slightly improved versions the previous one. There's 3 versions in and they couldn't even fit in some sort of aquatic combat? Seriously, Master Chief (btw, crappiest name for a main character ever) needs to learn how to swim.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Whatever. Competitive Halo is really fun.... and hard... omg... teamwork...
There is team work involved in teams in Smash unless I am mistaken. :laugh:

Anyways, I think Halo the series is overrated. I loved the first one's everything and didn't like Halo 2's singleplayer at all save a couple of levels. The multiplayer was ok but not as fun as 1. Anyways, that is not the point.

The point is, there is some things you can compare to Halo 1 but not "which games is better lolz."

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
caution, long post. READ!!!!!!!!!

For one we compare brawl with halo 3 get your games straight. after you beat halo3 it gets boring but brawl won't so much stuff to do
it will get boring after a while, halo won't

I won't bash Halo for being compared to Smash but I will bash Halo for being insanely overhyped. :)
and brawl isn't

Agreed. It is a great game, but it is no where near as good as the fanboys make it sound.
i could say the same for smash

Agreed. Overhyped does not mean bad but Halo is not god's gift to gaming.
blasfamy

halo overshadows them

I couldn't agree with you more. While the series has some really good aspects to it, its not as "killer" as people like to think.

once again, the same could be said for brawl

I still wouldn't consider Halo 3's "level editor" a real "level editor". Its a "select where vehicles will spawn mode" which severly limits its creativity.

They could have at least added the option to increase/decrease the size of pre-existing structures or something. Its basically a tacked on useless mode as it is and it is more then dissapointing.
in halo you are saying that you should be able to completly edit a advance 3-D environment instead of a simple 2-D one in brawl

Halo sucks, no Sonic the Hedgehog
sonic sucks, too much sonic

One of the series is incredibly overrated and the other is not.

Halo isn't even the king of its own world. UT3 and CoD4 will kick the crap out of Halo 3.
the overrated one is brawl
halo does dominate th fps

Halo really doesn't do anything I haven't seen a thousand times before. Halo is just another FPS game whereas something like Doom and Wolfenstein practically invented the genre, Counterstrike altered it, Jedi Knight took it in a different direction, and games like Battlefield expanded on it. Halo has the same old FPS gameplay set in a sci-fi universe. We've seen it time and time again, and nothing Halo does is actually unique or new. The saving grace of it is Halo 3's online system, which is quite good. But the real draw of Halo is the community, not really the game itself. It's not that Halo is a great series, it's just everyone's playing its multiplayer. I'm not really sure why it caught on in the first place (maybe it was the only decent game at the XBox's launch that had online multiplayer). But that Mountain Dew drink is tasty.

Then you look at Smash Brothers. It reinvented a genre, or rather, it created its own genre. And then there are a couple of series trying to copy its style of gameplay, but nothing even comes close. Then you look at the changes between games. Smash 64 to Melee was a huge list of changes. Melee to Brawl is a gigantic list of changes. Halo to Halo 2 to Halo 3...isn't. There's not much of anything new in the Halo series, and it's quite stagnant. A game as popular as Halo should define its genre, not have the genre define the game.

When it comes down to it, yeah, Halo's fun. But it could be so much more. Smash Brothers constantly reinvents itself to the point where I never feel like I'm playing the same game each time a new one comes out. Halo just needs to do something to make it distinct from other FPS games, and right now that's only its online service. Other games are going to mold their online services after Halo 3's, so even that won't be too unique in the next year or two.

In my mind, they aren't comparable. The Halo series doesn't do enough things unique to define itself as a unique game (and between installments) to even warrant a comparison to Smash Brothers. Halo 3 was fun, but so was Doom 3. I'll play Halo 3's multiplayer, but it isn't anything I haven't seen before.
smash has barly changed at all from the N64, nor is it reinvented

with Stage creator, Brawl will be endless-even by yourself.
=2007=
you'll be bored within a week or 2

user_name

Smash Apprentice
in halo you are saying that you should be able to completly edit a advance 3-D environment instead of a simple 2-D one in brawl
Last I checked, Smash was set in a complex 3D environment... And no, level editors for 3D games really aren't that hard to do. (Tony Hawk, anyone?)

Hm. What other FPS games have you played? Half-Life? Unreal Tournament? Call of Duty? Medal of Honor? And how does Halo "dominate" anyway? How is it better than any other FPS, none the less, an FPS with better story, graphics, theme, gameplay, control, physics, level design, weapons, AI, etc...

Are we talking about the same game here?

RiptheReaper

Smash Apprentice
kid im a halo freak,yeah its good but i gotta say tha H3 was kind of a dissapoinment (at least for me,especially campaign).i played 3 days get to lv 42 and was already bored i dont play anymore unless is lan or in tournaments and sometimes live but my account expired and i aint in a rush to buy one but i will of course,one thing i love about halo is going to tournaments but so i do with smash,im sure brawl wont get boring that fast cause theres a lot more things to do i mean a lot,what i trying to say (hate to say it) is that i think brawl will be a better game epecially in quality (this is coming from a halo 3 fan)oh btw i m not saying H3 is bad ,its awesome but i think brawl is better GamerTag:UltimaMoonWolf Wii code:dont have one

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
You can't hate Halo? Why? People can hate Smash but not Halo? That's idiotic. If someone doesn't like FPS, they won't like Halo sames goes for Brawl. O_o

Micahc

Smash Ace
kid im a halo freak,yeah its good but i gotta say tha H3 was kind of a dissapoinment (at least for me,especially campaign).i played 3 days get to lv 42 and was already bored i dont play anymore unless is lan or in tournaments and sometimes live but my account expired and i aint in a rush to buy one but i will of course,one thing i love about halo is going to tournaments but so i do with smash,im sure brawl wont get boring that fast cause theres a lot more things to do i mean a lot,what i trying to say (hate to say it) is that i think brawl will be a better game epecially in quality (this is coming from a halo 3 fan)oh btw i m not saying H3 is bad ,its awesome but i think brawl is better GamerTag:UltimaMoonWolf Wii code:dont have one
Your lack of periods and poor comma usage hurt the grammar inside of me.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Uber long post warning!

GoldenIKE: For one we compare brawl with halo 3 get your games straight. after you beat halo3 it gets boring but brawl won't so much stuff to do
: it will get boring after a while, halo won't
That, my friend is an opinion. Here's mine: Brawl will have so much things to unlock you could play it for years and never get bored. As a matter of fact, I play Melee almost every day and I still enjoy it.

Makkers: I won't bash Halo for being compared to Smash but I will bash Halo for being insanely overhyped.
Me: Agreed. It is a great game, but it is no where near as good as the fanboys make it sound.
and brawl isn't
No, it isn't. Brawl doesn't get all that much hype off the Smash Boards and if it did, it would be able to live up to it.

VanillaMummy: I couldn't agree with you more. While the series has some really good aspects to it, its not as "killer" as people like to think.
i could say the same for smash
You could. You could say that cookies are ninjas from Mars too, but you'd be lying.

once again, the same could be said for brawl
Once again, there isn't that much hype for Brawl outside of Brawl fansites. I hear people at my school talking about Halo much more than Brawl. And by the way, people don't talk about how killer Brawl is especially since it hasn't come out yet.

volbound1700: Halo sucks, no Sonic the Hedgehog
sonic sucks, too much sonic
Again, that is an opinion. In my opinion, Sonic is awsome and Halo is not as good as everyone says it is.

SolidSonic: One of the series is incredibly overrated and the other is not.

Brawl is not overrated and while Halo does dominate the FPS, there are other games that are just as good as Halo, if not, better. The fact that it dominates is due to the fact that it's overhyped.

TiersAreReal: <long post>
This is true. You don't fix what ain't broken. They add more cool features every time and improve what needs to be improved, but there is no need to change the actual gameplay.

2007: with Stage creator, Brawl will be endless-even by yourself.
=2007=
you'll be bored within a week or 2
I been playing Melee for about four years now and I suspect I'll be playing Brawl for at least another ten. I see no way possible that I will be able to stop playing this game for more than two weeks at atime without breaking out in a rash.

prinnykurtis

Smash Rookie
Yea I never understood the hype behind Halo, its a good series, but far from the greatest thing ever. Then again I prefer Goldeneye style FPS, that is why i love the Timesplitters series. Plus its the only series to have Ninja Monkeys!

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
Do you live in future land or something?
Brawl isn't out yet.

just because a game is overrated doesn't mean it's bad.
I personally think that you shouldn't let other peoples' opinions effect your's.
FYI, when i said they sold alot i was reffering to the overall franchise.(Halo 1, Halo 2, SSB64, SSBM) And it doesn't matter because Brawl will sell a S***load of copies anyway.

Top Bottom