• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halloween Bash! *50+ entrants! 30+ housed! TWO DAYS LEFT UNTIL PRE-HALLOWEEN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Or is it.

"Let me just ask something. In a game not made for competitive play, nay a game where the developers themselves tried their hardest to make the game unfit for competitive play, where stages and items and even STRATEGIES (planking/ledge camping) must be banned for the game to be competitive. Is it really such a stretch to think that you might need to ban a character too?"
-Emblem Lord
we should just ban brawl.
it could have been a good game if the developers didn't try so **** hard to make it unfit for competitive play.

also, I don't feel like arguing anymore. I respect your decision about using MK the way you want, and I hope your plan will work.

Umby

Smash Master
My issue with Dan's ordeal:

If you are using the planking issue as reasoning on a ban, and the SBR is saying that it's not that big of a deal, then you go out of your way to prove that this character is busted because he is able to do these things (here's looking at you Overswarm) and saying it disrupts the metagame -

1) How is what you are doing fun?
2) If MK is considered beatable, and planking isn't viewed as a big deal, then it's almost obviously because a vast majority of people aren't resorting to planking to try and win (in places/tournaments where it matters), in which case:
3) You're perpetuating a stereotype. I understand that a potential threat has a good amount of weight on just how dangerous something is, but the current metagame is also dependant on its players. And right now, I rarely see even the gayest/safest of characters use excessive planking/circle camping as means to get far as MK, considering he has so much else going for him.
4) You're offering the chance for players to play against this broken strategy and offer tips on how to deal with it. Why waste efforts on banning a character for this kind of reasoning when you could simply offer this kind of alternative? I feel that's a lot more constructive to the game in general than just taking out a whole character.
5) That said, I have nothing against you actually having pro-ban views (besides the fact that I'm anti-ban myself), it's just that you mentioned your "only reason" for playing this game is having fun, which leads back to number 1. It leaves me a bit confounded.
6) As harsh as it is, your pre-Brawl friends just couldn't deal. They don't factor into the equation if they're a nonexistant variable in the first place.
7) For this specific ordeal, I would gladly play my Shugo vs your Overswarm just because I'm curious.
8) I also want to see if I can handle Sonic vs Olimar now. You up for that as well?
9) No, I refuse to play Sonic in brackets, unless I'm desperate, which I am working to not let happen this time.

No hate intended, Dan.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's late. I'm tired. I hope this makes sense. Anything after this and I'd like to take it to PMs as to not disrupt talk/hype about the tournament. :chuckle:

My issue with Dan's ordeal:

If you are using the planking issue as reasoning on a ban, and the SBR is saying that it's not that big of a deal, then you go out of your way to prove that this character is busted because he is able to do these things (here's looking at you Overswarm) and saying it disrupts the metagame -

1) How is what you are doing fun?
It's more about just camping in general. Planking, in itself is entirely beatable.

That said, Meta Knight is a fun, busted character with a camping game I think is much better than 90% of people give him credit for. I'm out to help prove that by trying to improve his planking/circle camping game, which in combination I think is unbeatable by many characters if done correctly, and something so few have gone out to improve. Granted, I'm not a top player in the least bit, so I can only help so much, but at least I can try to help. :)

Also, I find running away actually pretty enjoyable sometimes. It's the thrill of *just* avoiding a hit that gets me I guess. ;P It really depends though. Camping with Oli isn't fun. >.> For more on this subject, see DM G. He'll gladly explain the intricacies. :lick:

2) If MK is considered beatable, and planking isn't viewed as a big deal, then it's almost obviously because a vast majority of people aren't resorting to planking to try and win (in places/tournaments where it matters), in which case:
Ok.

3) You're perpetuating a stereotype. I understand that a potential threat has a good amount of weight on just how dangerous something is, but the current metagame is also dependant on its players. And right now, I rarely see even the gayest/safest of characters use excessive planking/circle camping as means to get far as MK, considering he has so much else going for him.
What stereotype, might I ask? :dizzy:

I think so few people use MK the way he's best used because most people find it BORING, or they just can't do it very well. That and they can get in the money without resorting to using these tactics. Not only that but it can be difficult and mentally draining at times. It's not "just run away." It's "avoid everything for 7 minutes and look like a douche-bag (for reasons I don't comprehend) the entire time."

A bigger reason would be that it's banned all over the country. *shrugs*

4) You're offering the chance for players to play against this broken strategy and offer tips on how to deal with it. Why waste efforts on banning a character for this kind of reasoning when you could simply offer this kind of alternative? I feel that's a lot more constructive to the game in general than just taking out a whole character.
Advice can only get you so far.

I want to practice it so I can get better at it.

I'd like others to practice against it as well so more people can learn that planking isn't really over-centralizing (it's really a combination of planking, circle camping, air camping, etc.).

Also, I want to be able to say in the future that my opponents know how to fight against it decently well. It's a never-ending cycle of me getting better at it...
opponents getting better at dealing with it...
me getting better...
etc.

I think in the end it'll prove to be an over-centralizing tactic that can't be banned purely because it can only be loosely defined and enforced. The only other option is to ban the character.

I think I answered that clearly. :ohwell:

5) That said, I have nothing against you actually having pro-ban views (besides the fact that I'm anti-ban myself), it's just that you mentioned your "only reason" for playing this game is having fun, which leads back to number 1. It leaves me a bit confounded.

6) As harsh as it is, your pre-Brawl friends just couldn't deal. They don't factor into the equation if they're a nonexistant variable in the first place.
Fair enough. :ohwell:
7) For this specific ordeal, I would gladly play my Shugo vs your Overswarm just because I'm curious.
8) I also want to see if I can handle Sonic vs Olimar now. You up for that as well?
9) No, I refuse to play Sonic in brackets, unless I'm desperate, which I am working to not let happen this time.
Sounds good. I've got very, very little Sonic experience so this'll be a real treat. :)

No hate intended, Dan.
None taken. You're just curious, like me. :p

Gerbil

Smash Champion
BBQ - Done.
Toasty - Done.
Rayku - Done. But only for 1$. Half my issue of not being to a tourny in a good while is money, but I still want some incentive to really try and see what I can do after oiling up my rusty gears lol.

I can't remember who asked, but I'm a Fox player. Melee only. Brawl sucks as a tourny game. Fun casual though lol.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Alpha! I'm balls-awful vs. Samus. Like...GANON-BALLS awful.

Help!

We can even MM if that's how you play super cereal-like.
I can help you on how to beat Samus lol

BBQ - Done.
Toasty - Done.
Rayku - Done. But only for 1$. Half my issue of not being to a tourny in a good while is money, but I still want some incentive to really try and see what I can do after oiling up my rusty gears lol.

I can't remember who asked, but I'm a Fox player. Melee only. Brawl sucks as a tourny game. Fun casual though lol.
Lulz you make sure you have my gas money before you go throwing your money all over the place lol

I accept your terms BBQ XD

Umby

Smash Master
It's late. I'm tired.
What stereotype, might I ask? :dizzy:

It was just a lack of a better word. In general, I was referring to how you're trying to prove something is a great influence by increasing the likelihood in which it will occur, considering it's not occurring enough for your argument to hold water already.

Advice can only get you so far.

I want to practice it so I can get better at it.

I'd like others to practice against it as well so more people can learn that planking isn't really over-centralizing (it's really a combination of planking, circle camping, air camping, etc.).

Also, I want to be able to say in the future that my opponents know how to fight against it decently well. It's a never-ending cycle of me getting better at it...
opponents getting better at dealing with it...
me getting better...
etc.

I think in the end it'll prove to be an over-centralizing tactic that can't be banned purely because it can only be loosely defined and enforced. The only other option is to ban the character.
That's how a metagame develops. It's all about overcoming strides in what at first seem like unbeatable tactics or disadvantageous matchups. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Melee, after the whole hype of using Fox to gay Jigglypuff, I think every jiggs and their cousins learned to gay right back. The metagame is meant to fluctuate as people learn to deal with things over time.

I also find it contradictory that you want to say your opponents know how fight a campy MK well, but at the same time you'd want him banned. It would seem the skills need to fight a banned character are unnecessary.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright, I remember these MMes:

$3 Dan (ICs)
$3 Kismet (Falco?)

I'll do some more MMes, but for $1 buck. I need to keep some money for the future tourneys and for Pound 4. Anyone vs my Pika/Yoshi?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

$3 Dan (ICs)
$3 Kismet (Falco?)

I'll do some more MMes, but for $1 buck. I need to keep some money for the future tourneys and for Pound 4. Anyone vs my Pika/Yoshi?
I'll play against your whatever. Pokèmon Trainer.

stealth3654

Smash Lord

$3 Dan (ICs)
$3 Kismet (Falco?)

Want to do a $1 random MM? :)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's how a metagame develops. It's all about overcoming strides in what at first seem like unbeatable tactics or disadvantageous matchups. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Melee, after the whole hype of using Fox to gay Jigglypuff, I think every jiggs and their cousins learned to gay right back. The metagame is meant to fluctuate as people learn to deal with things over time.

I also find it contradictory that you want to say your opponents know how fight a campy MK well, but at the same time you'd want him banned. It would seem the skills need to fight a banned character are unnecessary.
If it's not as broken as I think it is right now, then there's no point in banning it. I'm not trying to get an easily beatable tactic banned. :psycho: If my opponents know how to fight it well and I can still stall them out easily, then that'll help confirm my initial thoughts about it. If it doesn't work out? Oh well.

Umby

Smash Master
I say that your custom user title is lying.

Oh, you meant that other Michael.

Who will probably agree with me.

edit: Since Reflex and I are playing Pokemon Netbattle for 3rd gen (and possibly 1st and 2nd gen), does anyone else want in?

Purple

Hi guys!
we should convince kids from the yugioh event to enter

just sayin
that would be smart, but honestly, i'm sure a great deal of them will on the get go.

Only thing is, i'd have to make them pay entry fee if they decide to suddenly enter, which many of them i'm sure won't like. :ohwell:

Fullmetal- i'm pretty hyped for melee, i was suposed to train today but **** got pretty srs at home. Tech skllll. @_@. If i have extra money after incentive giveaways, care to MM? 40 dollars (or ) morton's salt?

Purple

Hi guys!
Planking is not banned, get over it scrubs.

Planking doesn't work if you get percentage advantage. Remember that everyone. Let DanGR do what he wants, i'm not mad at the idea of planking, just at the idea of having to run the tournament longer because of it, that's HONESTLY the only stipulation.

Umby

Smash Master
Planking is not banned, get over it scrubs.

Planking doesn't work if you get percentage advantage. Remember that everyone. Let DanGR do what he wants, i'm not mad at the idea of planking, just at the idea of having to run the tournament longer because of it, that's HONESTLY the only stipulation.
In Dan's defense, his aim isn't just planking, it's the full set of MK camping tactics - planking, circle camping, and air camping. He believes this "over-centralizes" the game and wishes to take the Overswarm path at this tournament in attempt to prove it.

Purple

Hi guys!
Well, same thing said, damage advantage destroys that tactic.

Circle camping is stopped by use of ness

etc.

If that's ALL he's going to do that is.

also, this is the current housing list, for friday at least.

1. Reflex (AL)
2. Calvin (AL)
3. Elev8 (AL)
4. Billy (AL)
5. Serin (AL)
6. DanGR (AL)
7. Seibrik (FL)
8. Nick Riddle (FL)
9. Brianna (FL)
10. Frames (CFL)
11. Chaz (FL)
12. Flatsoda (FL)
13. Tommy G (FL)
14. Migeta (GA)
15. GDX (FL)
16. Shaky (FL)
17. Polmex (FL)
18. Redhalberd (FL)
19. Scatz (GA)
20. Pervatasaurus (GA)
21. Deo (GA)
22. Sex puma (FL)
23. SkaterBaj (GA)
24. Chess (FL)
25. One more?

26. Yiff (GA)
27. RJ (GA)
28. AKF (GA)
29. Final (GA)
30. Kewl (OoN)
* = potentially not coming, chance of removal/switch
* = locked, has a place to stay, no chance of removal
* = coming, but position not locked, if person far enough away needs housing, potential switch is housing.

If anyone's wondering why some GA members are labeled as green, it's because they are riding with Legendary Games therefore have no ride until sunday evening home.

The rest are labeled as red and pending.

Can i get the status of the florida players labeled as yellow? So i can know if i can change that, because i have four CFL players that need a housing spot.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Well, same thing said, damage advantage destroys that tactic.

Circle camping is stopped by use of ness

etc.

If that's ALL he's going to do that is.

also, this is the current housing list, for friday at least.

1. Reflex (AL)
2. Calvin (AL)
3. Elev8 (AL)
4. Billy (AL)
5. Serin (AL)
6. DanGR (AL)
7. Seibrik (FL)
8. Nick Riddle (FL)
9. Brianna (FL)
10. Frames (CFL)
11. Chaz (FL)
12. Flatsoda (FL)
13. Tommy G (FL)
14. Migeta (GA)
15. GDX (FL)
16. Shaky (FL)
17. Polmex (FL)
18. Redhalberd (FL)
19. Scatz (GA)
20. Pervatasaurus (GA)
21. Deo (GA)
22. Sex puma (FL)
23. SkaterBaj (GA)
24. Chess (FL)
25. One more?

26. Yiff (GA)
27. RJ (GA)
28. AKF (GA)
29. Final (GA)
30. Kewl (OoN)
* = potentially not coming, chance of removal/switch
* = locked, has a place to stay, no chance of removal
* = coming, but position not locked, if person far enough away needs housing, potential switch is housing.

If anyone's wondering why some GA members are labeled as green, it's because they are riding with Legendary Games therefore have no ride until sunday evening home.

The rest are labeled as red and pending.

Can i get the status of the florida players labeled as yellow? So i can know if i can change that, because i have four CFL players that need a housing spot.
Hey, Jamaal, how many other people are riding with LG? I need to know, so I can tell my mom how much to give me.

RJsHouse

Smash Apprentice
Jamaaaaaaaaaaal

i need a ride for getting there only!!!!
I can get a ride back though
D:

HiIH

Smash Lord
I know that me and another guy are coming JUST FOR MELEE. We will be bringing a TV and a CUBE.

FWIW.

EDIT-I like not having to argue about banning top tiered characters in Melee. Instead I get Waveshined across the stage, cause I play a garbage character.

<.<;;;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom