• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I hate TF2.

Well, not really, I love it.

I suck though. Big time.
Me too. I just play it for fun, not to win.

EDIT : Why is Steam so awesome?

*Is referring to the 50% deal off CoD:WaW, I am very tempted to buy that game! Wish it were COD4 instead tho.*

EDIT 2 : Spy gets update as well

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/16/team-fortress-2s-spy-murders-sniper-both-receive-updates/

"The betrayal-prone class will be getting two new tools in the update -- the Cloak and Dagger Spy Watch, which allows you to stay camouflaged indefinitely (as long as you're standing completely still) and the Dead Ringer Spy Watch, which instantly cloaks you for eight seconds when you get hit, dropping a fake corpse in your stead. Oh, we're going to do terrible, terrible things with that."

Darkslash

Smash Master
New Meet the Class video.

The dime a dozen backstabbing scumbags.

Best one to date. Also the first Meet the class video focusing on the Blu team, despite the spy being Red.

EDIT: A very smart person on kotaku figured out the whole video, and I can say this is probably true.

BubbleF**kingbuddy of Kotaku said:
How about some more?

Red Spy was the Blu Spy all along, not the Blu Scout.At 1:23 he touches the Blu Scout, allowing him to turn into said scout (using one of his next unlocks) whenever he wanted to.

Why do you think the Red Spy disguised as the Blu spy entered the room with the Sniper's body over his shoulder; the last person he killed? How do you think the Scout remained a Scout when he touched the intelligence?

Spy used the Feign Death pocket-watch to drop a Blu Spy body right as the Soldier shot the head off of him.
Right after, the real Blu Scout turns his head around, and probably got backstabbed off-cam. Then you see the fake Blu Scout (really Red Spy) look at his hands, like he just used a touch-kill-disguise technique on the Blu Scout. He also took his own switch-blade back from the scout before this.

Pyros love Spies after all

The Demoman was shot off-camera right after the Engineer was, thus making the Pyro the only one not in the video.

Or so it seems; Blu Scout's mom is the Pyro. Valve let out that the Pyro is female multiple times in the past, many were recent. (Blu Scout's mom was wearing pink in several of the pictures, Pyro has a pink purse in her locker)

Also, the "1" button on the lock is dirtier than the other buttons. Clearly, it is used the most often.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
When you say a 'non-steam copy' I'm assuming you're referring to pirating it. Outside of piracy, there's no way to legitimately get any Valve games outside of Steam.

I'm pretty sure that either buying the Episode pack through Steam or getting the Orange Box is going to be the cheapest way. You say you have all the Orange Box games bar the episodes? Might as well gift 'em to someone ya like.

[Edit:]

Unless, of course, you can't. Why can't you, Sporkman?
<_<
>_>

.....I did mean pirated. Anyway, I've been browsing torrents for those and it's not the way to go at all, there isn't all the audio, there's too many glitches. I think I'll just have to keep on the lookout for when it goes on sale.
If, uh, you don't have one of the orange box games, I could gift it to you...? But you probably have them.

lol Sporkman.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Haha I just saw the "Meet The Spy" video. All I can say is : awesome.

EDIT : Which classes haven't they done yet? Oh and I also read that the pyro may be
female.

Superstar

Smash Champion
That quote that was spoilered, I doubt it.

The spy "looking at his hand" was just the Scout in a "defensive position" from the soldier blowing the head off the blue spy. That, and the blue spy didn't go red after hit, the poketwatch removes the disguse otherwise I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work so well [though I doubt it'd work well period].

The disguise didn't come off the Scout upon touching the intelligence simply because it was just a video. You can't friendly fire in the real game either, or rest your hand on the intelligence. Or fight hand to hand with anything sans Heavy. Or throw sappers.

Also, the Scout trying to open the door may just have been trying to get someone to open it.

Overanalyzing the video doesn't work so well. Although while the pyro being the Scout's mom thing may have be very likely, it's not confirmed. And the pink part is just poking at insignificant stuff, pink is a VERY common color used for girls.

EDIT:
2:32, when the Scout goes off-screen, there's the Spy disguise sound...wow. EDIT2: Second listening...can't be that.

Cloak and Dagger looks useful though. Even for competitive games where Spy sadly fails. You can spy on their team and tell your team their every move. Can anyone say, backcap?

Pyro doesn't sound female though, sounds like [awkward] male grunts. If the Pyro is female, very hideous shape. And that "if the pyro hears this she'll be inconsolable" comment may just be adding controversy, though I'm only 10% sure of that.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I've no outlet other than here to say that I think slash and burn is make an engy (possibly anyone) rage pyro. Heard it here first.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I hope one of the achievements is dominating someone and forcing them to go pyro to kill you.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Rage Pyro?

I rage Soldier. Or Scout.

Start owning me when I'm a Demoman/Sniper/whatever and I'll rage Soldier or Scout. Unless the owning are from series of 3v1s which really only happen when the teams are stacked.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I tried being a Spy today and boy is it fun! I shanked this engineer in his back while he was upgrading his sentry and then I zapped his sentry and dispenser. Then I shanked a medic and a soldier. They didn't suspect a thing!

^_^

Superstar

Smash Champion
This brings up a thought...why don't Engie's use their Shotgun more?

Did you know the Engineer's Shotgun is EXACTLY the same as the Scout's Scattergun, and their pistol is the same as a Scout's pistol? Yet Scouts don't use their pistol as their primary weapon [well...some do]. An Engineer's Shotgun does 100+ point blank or at a close range. At midrange expect maybe 60->80 damage? An Engineer is just a slow Scout with sentry guns.

Spies are 2HKOs, OHKOs if you get lucky with the random number generator and/or crits.

Yes, TF2 has random damage. If you see a server with nodmgspread, it means the random damage was turned off. A more recent release changed the random damage spread from -25%/25% to -10%/10%.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
This brings up a thought...why don't Engie's use their Shotgun more?

Did you know the Engineer's Shotgun is EXACTLY the same as the Scout's Scattergun, and their pistol is the same as a Scout's pistol? Yet Scouts don't use their pistol as their primary weapon [well...some do]. An Engineer's Shotgun does 100+ point blank or at a close range. At midrange expect maybe 60->80 damage? An Engineer is just a slow Scout with sentry guns.

Spies are 2HKOs, OHKOs if you get lucky with the random number generator and/or crits.

Yes, TF2 has random damage. If you see a server with nodmgspread, it means the random damage was turned off. A more recent release changed the random damage spread from -25%/25% to -10%/10%.
No wonder I keep getting destroyed by engies as ANY class. I swear, I walk in the enemy base as a Pyro with 260 health and immediately get killed by 3 shotgun blasts.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Engies are cake.

Did you know point blank the Soldier/Heavy/Pyro's Shotguns do about 90->100 damage? Bout the same as a rocket a little bit back [rockets do 100-110 damage point blank but hurt yourself]. At midrange these shotguns dip to 30 damage. Also, if you hit the Engies feet with a rocket he'll bounce up. You can then proceed to either airshot him, shoot where he is going to land and let the splash finish him, or switch to shotgun and finish him off in 1->2 shots.

That, and most Engies in servers, and Scouts even, can't do a good shot with the Shotgun/Scatter. Or even dodge. But this gets to exactly why the Pyro sucks at a higher level, lack of range.

An Engie's Shotgun =/= Soldier, Pyro or Heavies. They're different.

What's annoying though is the damage dip from a distance. At long range the Soldier's Rocket does 50 damage or something. So much for long distance combat class.

Amount of health for each class, just in case anyone is curious.
Scout, Engie, Sniper, Spy - 125 health
Medic - 150 Health
Pyro, Demoman - 175 Health
Soldier - 200 health
Heavy - 300 Health.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Is the Spy's knife damage random? Cause I once stabbed this guy in his back twice and he didn't die...then he killed me in one hit. It was against a demoman.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Is the Spy's knife damage random? Cause I once stabbed this guy in his back twice and he didn't die...then he killed me in one hit. It was against a demoman.
If it's a backstab it's a OHKO. If it isn't because it "failed to register", then it's random.

I suck with Demoman so I can't tell how powerful the pipes/stickies are. But a close range Pipe [grenade] does an insane amount of damage. 10+% of that is pretty insane. I wouldn't doubt it's ability to OHKO a 125 damage class.

About backstabs, probably the reason it's bad at registering is because you're seeing the game in the past. The game by default shows you what happened 100 milliseconds earlier. So while to you it looks like you backstabbed, your target has already moved out of the way. There are ways to change this delay, I have a config that I can post if anyone wants it. Increases the update rate and allows you to adjust the delay on the fly, fix graphical glitches, and show the net graph. In pubs I set the delay to 50ms, and if I find a good server I set it to 33ms, sometimes 20ms.

The Revolver always did insane damage as is. I've already said that the cloak and dagger would help competitive play, but depending on how large the gap actually is this would help a lot, making it if a Scout went Spy, he'd have another tool to take out the medic. Spying on the other team and telling your team their every move, backcaps, and helping finish off the Medic. Hell, even sacrificing yourself to kill the other Medic is a VERY large gain.

In competitive play, the limits are:
1 Medic
1 Demoman
2 of everything else

Superstar

Smash Champion
Heavy is also ridiculously easy to use and can pretty much take out any class 1v1.

It takes 4 rockets to down a heavy with Soldier. With a Medic, you need a Soldier buddy or it's not going down. Given Medics love to hug heavies, heavies work VERY well in pubs, and aren't even that difficult to use.

If you're fighting a team of Heavy Medics and your buddy [as a medic] happens to be a competitive Soldier, go Crits. Uber isn't gonna do squat.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Heavy is also ridiculously easy to use and can pretty much take out any class 1v1.

It takes 4 rockets to down a heavy with Soldier. With a Medic, you need a Soldier buddy or it's not going down. Given Medics love to hug heavies, heavies work VERY well in pubs, and aren't even that difficult to use.

If you're fighting a team of Heavy Medics and your buddy [as a medic] happens to be a competitive Soldier, go Crits. Uber isn't gonna do squat.
Or you could always go sniper ;)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Last night I played the funniest match of TF2 ever.

Picture this:
2 Medics
14 Heavies

All packed up on the right side of Blu respawn in Dustbowl. As soon as the gate opened we proceeded to do what had to be the slowest steamroll ever, bullets were flying everywhere, enemies and sentries were dropping like flies and all the while us 14 Heavies walked towards the point. After we lost a few guys to the first point we split off, some took the top left tunnel and a few of us took the bottom right. We proceeded to squeeze the guys on the point with Heavies swarming the point from the top left tunnel [with the gate] and the Heavies at the bottom killed anyone that tried to get near.

Needless to say we won, we tried different classes as well:

Pyro Offense - failed terribly
Soldier Offense - wasn't as bad but some people weren't very good with Soldier
Spy Offense - we surprised the **** out of the guys when we started showing up in waves, sapping, backstabbing and shooting everything in sight but they caught on and brought out Pyros

The best Offense was by far Heavy offense with 2-3 medics [if 3rd on uses krtiz]. I forgot to make a demo of it buy I grabbed a few screenies, I'll upload them and post the links here when I do.

Okie Dokie, I didn't take as many pics as I thought I did, I guess I got caught up in the excitement. Here's the few that I got:

Final Scores

Less cool images, click to view.

EDIT: More pics that someone else took

Here's a video of a similar rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_-SBnFzPc

Superstar

Smash Champion
Or you could always go sniper ;)
Hard to get a clean shot when they are firing at you, and if they have a Medic you need 2-3 headshots to kill them, MAYBE 1 fully charged.

Either way there's a very good reason Heavies perform well. Snipers are still nasty business though, why US comp play doesn't heavy so often.

Soldier Offense - wasn't as bad but some people weren't very good with Soldier
I notice that a lot. =/

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah, I managed to finish off the kills other soldiers left behind but red team started rushing us hard so we got pushed back until we went all Heavy again and destroyed them. I hope they do that again tonight, hopefully I won't be on the receiving end.

Superstar

Smash Champion
A solo heavy can be beat by:
A Soldier -barely, has to have perfect aim but be a bit away with at least a wall to not be wiped out
A Spy - Which depends on how alert the Heavy is
A Demoman - Best non Sniper alternative
A Sniper - At far range, at midrange Sniper dies.
Focus fire of at least 2 classes

A Heavy with a Medic can be beat by:
2 Soldiers - Have to focus fire on the Heavy and not let up
A Spy - Harder because if the Medic is alert, will inform the Heavy
A Sniper - Hard, has to charge up and get a good shot.
A demoman - Barely, needs to be healing and have good pipe aim.
Heavy Focus Fire

Meaning a Heavy rush can only be beat by maybe a Sniper/Demoman rush. =/ Or a Soldier who wall jumps over the Heavies and takes out the Medics [Natascha, even Sasha says no so he has to make it quick].

Either way, as a Soldier my worst enemy to see in a pub is a Heavy. Unless that Heavy does not know the number 1 rule of TF2: You don't have to kill your enemy.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Man I love playing capture point on Granary. This morning me and my team dominated with a 6-0 sweep and then we played that mode "intelligence capture?" (don't know the official name) on that well level (the one with the trains in the middle and the water area you can swim thru and we swept them 8-1 and then this afternoon we played capture point on granary again and we swept the other team (poor 4% :p) 7-0.

Btw whoever has the steam name "Ξ[ •̪̀●́ ]Ξ Supe" : Good game! (if he does read this thread)

Sensai

Smash Master
Supe is most likely Superstar, the guy who posted right above you.

Also, tomorrow, all hell is going to break loose. If this is your first time being around for a class update, well...prepare to meet stupidity the likes you have never seen before.

I fully expect teams of 6 spies, 5 snipers, and a medic or a pyro.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I might even snipe myself. I can't stay Sniper for too long without going Soldier/Scout, so my Sniper continues to suck.

And yes, Supe = Superstar. :p It's actually what I'd change my name to if I could [I'm not paying cash for a name change].

4% APR

Smash Champion
Sniper was always cool and you know it

F8al you got lucky my team was balls haha

Superstar you should friend me ForpersentAPR

i can't wait for the sniper and spy rushes coming, i feel pretty good against both classes with solly/demo so it should be fun. I remember the scout one, that was rough

Superstar

Smash Champion
Snipers are cake close range, but a good Snipe at long range?

Best you can do is spam them from a distance and try to psyche them out or something. That, and the spy will backstab you while you're preoccupied.

And yes, your team was balls. XD Even in Fast Respawn it was cake [if it was on Granary]. So many easy targets. I literally jumped in dangerous places dragging a Medic just because I knew it was cake. Our team had like 2 medics and 8 Soldiers or so, one or 2 Demomen too.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Snipers are cake close range, but a good Snipe at long range?

Best you can do is spam them from a distance and try to psyche them out or something. That, and the spy will backstab you while you're preoccupied.

And yes, your team was balls. XD Even in Fast Respawn it was cake [if it was on Granary]. So many easy targets. I literally jumped in dangerous places dragging a Medic just because I knew it was cake. Our team had like 2 medics and 8 Soldiers or so, one or 2 Demomen too.
I was the medic following you. :p

Superstar

Smash Champion
Yes. :D

I was thinking of mentioning that, but whatever, hahaha.

Them Pyros were relentless. And cocky. They see a Soldier Medic and think they can take em out.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yes. :D

I was thinking of mentioning that, but whatever, hahaha.

Them Pyros were relentless. And cocky. They see a Soldier Medic and think they can take em out.
Haha yeah.

Btw another Sniper update :

http://kotaku.com/5263465/team-fortress-2-sniper-actually-getting-urine-grenades-yes-he-is
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/21/urine-for-a-treat-as-tf2s-sniper-practices-jarate/
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/20/spy-kills-sniper-everyone-gets-free-team-fortress-2-weekend/
http://kotaku.com/5263586/team-fortress-2-goes-free-this-weekend

"First teased on April Fool's Day, the Jarate, unlockable jar of human waste said to capture the liquid essence of the deadly martial arts, was reported to "wreak havoc on your opponent's mental state, psychological well-being and trust in the inherent goodness of his fellow man." Said to inspire self-loathing and nightmarish flashbacks to encounters with the Sniper, its in-game effects are still a mystery have been revealed!

That said, one could speculate that the jar of Sniper piss would go a long way toward nullifying the Spy's new cloaking abilities. And if someone did, they'd be right!

Jarate will also cause opponents soaked in its contents to take 35% more damage. It also extinguishes flames, much to the Pyro's disappointment, I'm sure."

Top Bottom