• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Sensai

Smash Master
Didn't like what? The drink? I dunno...I like it quite a bit. I seldom used the pistol anyways, so it's just nice to have something else.

And does anyone here use the flare gun on their Pyro? Could someone please explain why? When the Pyro achievements came out, I tried it for about 15 minutes and absolutely hated it. A week or two ago, for completion's sake, I equipped it to get my last 2 Pyro achievements.

I hate it. It's so bad. Why would/does anyone use it? The only reason I've ever had explained to me was something like 'it's so you can melee them with the Axtinguisher from 50 yards away.' He wasn't be sarcastic.

So, why do you use it?

(Also, same goes for the Backburner.)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I rarely use the flare myself, I only use it if I'm on defense or on a big map where I can light people from afar and kill people with low health, other than that I stick to the shotgun. I never use the backburner either, airblast is just too good.

As for Bonk, it's more situational, I tend to keep my pistol especially if I have the FaN equipped. I also don't use the Sandman, the lack of double jump makes me an easier target than if I had 2 jumps and to me the FaN's knock back isn't enough to make up for the lack of double jump, since it depends on the direction you shoot, and wasting one shot to jump just isn't worth it. So basically I mostly use the default equipment for Scout and only switch once in a while.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I used to use the flare gun just to piss off snipers from afar, but reverted back to the shotgun for its practicality.
Backburner isn't too bad, I mainly use it since I suck at using the compression blast on the normal flamethrower. You have to admit, there's no better feeling than seeing 10 crits pop up when you ambush a heavy/medic combo.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't play competitively, I never get a connection lower than 90 and the lag really messes with me so I'm better off in pubs.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
is there a smashboards steam group? I wanna get in on playing TF2 with people I actually know on my team.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
The flare gun is perfect against people who think they're safe out of reach of your flamethrower and it screws up their aim.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
^ I stopped using the flare gun as there are so many pyros on arena pubs. and it doesn't guarantee a kill as much as the shotty. im not that good though but that's just my take on it.

As I was creating a SWF group, i seen the url for /smashboards was already taken, so I went there out of interest and I seen there was one. I joined and I see im the second member so JOIN UP!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/smashboards

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
^ I stopped using the flare gun as there are so many pyros on arena pubs. and it doesn't guarantee a kill as much as the shotty. im not that good though but that's just my take on it.

As I was creating a SWF group, i seen the url for /smashboards was already taken, so I went there out of interest and I seen there was one. I joined and I see im the second member so JOIN UP!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/smashboards
Oh I misread the question. There actually is a group on steam for smashboards members: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SmashBoardsClan. Has 14 members.

Sensai

Smash Master
Thanks Black, I was going to post that.

Also, what's that GIF in your sig? Am I correct in thinking it's from Resident Evil 5, intended to look like Capt. Falcon?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Thanks Black, I was going to post that.

Also, what's that GIF in your sig? Am I correct in thinking it's from Resident Evil 5, intended to look like Capt. Falcon?
Lol, yeah it's from RE5. It's Wesker doing his Knee Cannon move, which bears striking resemblance to Falcon's knee.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The Orange Box is $9.99 on Steam due to the weekend sale, great for those who missed the other sales.

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I just bought it for 360, and Half Life 2 is ridicuously amazing, it's very fast paced and the music is awesome. Portal is fun, but I didn't like that I learned that the cake was a lie, and TF2 is great(everything about the game is great) I love the class of Spy.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
I just bought it for 360, and Half Life 2 is ridicuously amazing, it's very fast paced and the music is awesome. Portal is fun, but I didn't like that I learned that the cake was a lie, and TF2 is great(everything about the game is great) I love the class of Spy.
the 360 version x 10 + about 5 = the PC version. (Im speaking of TF2 and portal of course. )

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Uh......Okay, anyway, yeah, he PC versions are always better, but my PC is like fail, so I won't bother buying games for it until I get a 5 gig RAM............RAAM!!!!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Has anyone heard anything about the remaining Meet The Spy/Doctor/ect movies?

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Has anyone heard anything about the remaining Meet The Spy/Doctor/ect movies?
It's my understanding they made either the medic or pyro one, weren't happy with it, scrapped and started on whichever one it wasn't.

Sorry for being unclear. Still a couple class packs to go though, and only 3 'meet the' videos left.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was so pissed when they didn't bring out one with the Scout update, instead they just went "UPDATE IS HERE! THERE'S NO NUMBER 6!" God dam them.

Sensai

Smash Master
Y'know, there really hasn't been much discussion concerning that upgrade a few weeks ago that discussed headgear/inventory space. What do you guys think about it?

@ Aztec Avenger: You really don't need 5 gigs of RAM for the source engine; in fact, if your computer is less than 4 years old, you should probably be able to run TF2. But hey, it's your call (and you've already made it).

But I'm glad you like HL2. It's such a great game. Man...I'm a total HL2 fanboy.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Y'know, there really hasn't been much discussion concerning that upgrade a few weeks ago that discussed headgear/inventory space. What do you guys think about it?

@ Aztec Avenger: You really don't need 5 gigs of RAM for the source engine; in fact, if your computer is less than 4 years old, you should probably be able to run TF2. But hey, it's your call (and you've already made it).

But I'm glad you like HL2. It's such a great game. Man...I'm a total HL2 fanboy.
Do you remember when Robin Walker said they were planning for all the classes to have something new to play with in the update? The general impression is, backed up with I think code found in the game along with new voice files etc, is that classes will get variations of the their weapons with variations, example I heard was: (a level 15) Demoman's Sticky Launcher having a 15% increase in damage and 15% decrease in firing rate, to balance it. Apparently the levels range from 1-100 or something. There's a huge post on the Valve TF2 forums about it. I'll get you the link soon.

As for headgear, no idea.

Here you go

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
@Sensai, yeah I know, but my computer currently has like a quarter gig of RAM, and I plan on installing a lot of things onto my computer, not just games, but programs and stuff.

Superstar

Smash Champion
It depends, without a proper graphics card you'll need a config that makes the game hideous just to break 30 FPS, and that's stable, there are dips. I couldn't play right with my Intel GMA laptop, so I had to buy a PC for it.

When it comes to games, RAM should be the least concern. You need maybe 512MB for TF2 on XP, and for 20 bucks you can get a 2GB or two 1GB sticks [of more modern RAM, I don't think that'll work for you Avenger unless I know your RAM type. But CPU and GFX matters more and it depends greatly on your socket type.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who didn't like Half-Life 2? It might have been revolutionary for it's time, but I played it a few months ago and it was so boring I had to force myself to beat it.

I liked the episodes much better though.

Sensai

Smash Master
Am I the only one who didn't like Half-Life 2? It might have been revolutionary for it's time, but I played it a few months ago and it was so boring I had to force myself to beat it.

Get out. Now.

Really though, what didn't ya like about it? It's one of my favorite games of all time, my only complaint being with the driving parts.

@ Superstar: It was fun playing with you today. That's pretty much the only server I frequent...so feel free to stop by a ton.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Funny, I've only felt that way with one of the episodes
stupid friggin underground antlion tunnels, AUGH

Sensai

Smash Master
Man Black Waltz....you are a scary *** spy. I swear, you're everywhere.

And my Spy game has recently gotten better than my Pyro game. :-(

@ Mic: I feel ya.
That part just seems to drag on and on...the fetch quest to get the ore or what have you could have been taken out and I would have been completely fine with it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Yeah, yesterday was fun.

Best moment for me was on Granary, 2nd or 4th point near the Z-Tunnel. I was outside it, Medic+Heavy were firing at me. I was at the wall of the 2nd point building, behind the crates. I jumped over the crates, over the heavy, went straight into the Z-Tunnel and killed the Medic.

As Scout. Hahahaha. I had better "skill" based moments, but that one cracked me up so much.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I used to be a decent spy but now I suck at it, I mainly play Demo, Heavy and Scout, sometimes Pyro and Soldier.

Top Bottom