• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm finally getting a new PC [not pre-built] and I decided this is the first game I'm going to get. I think I'm getting tomorrow [at least that's what the guy in the store said] so I'll give you guys a heads up after I get everything set up. I already made a Steam account but I had to delete Steam because I only had a little over a gig of free space so Steam took up just about everything I had left and it was running slow on my computer anyway.

I'm thinking of playing Pyro, Engy and maybe Scout as my main classes. I've seen some gameplay of good scouts and I have to say it looks tough but I'm up for the challenge. I'm kinda bummed that I missed the launch of the Heavy update, it would have been cool to see so many Heavies all over but I guess I'll get to see that sort of thing with the next update, which I hear is between the Spy and the Sniper.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm finally getting a new PC [not pre-built] and I decided this is the first game I'm going to get. I think I'm getting tomorrow [at least that's what the guy in the store said] so I'll give you guys a heads up after I get everything set up. I already made a Steam account but I had to delete Steam because I only had a little over a gig of free space so Steam took up just about everything I had left and it was running slow on my computer anyway.

I'm thinking of playing Pyro, Engy and maybe Scout as my main classes. I've seen some gameplay of good scouts and I have to say it looks tough but I'm up for the challenge. I'm kinda bummed that I missed the launch of the Heavy update, it would have been cool to see so many Heavies all over but I guess I'll get to see that sort of thing with the next update, which I hear is between the Spy and the Sniper.
Well, congrats and welcome to the ranks of Orange Box owners! It's an amazing series of games...

Don't think you're just getting TF2 out of the Orange Box. IMO, and this might get me flamed, it's the worst game of the five...although it's still amazing. It's just hard to beat the HL2 series and I don't think anything shy of Ocarina of Time beats out Portal.

It was not fun seeing 12038109238109381 heavies. Not fun at all. It was saddening. :-/

(Also, if you're thinking of just getting TF2...I urge you to spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is and pick up the rest of the Orange Box. It's DEFINITELY worth it.)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I love Half Life 2 myself. It was the best FPS I've ever played.

I played through it and Half Life 2 Episode 1 two times already.

I would play Episode 2 now but I keep getting a bug. Not sure what type it is. I'm just so curious on what happens now that I got deep into the game.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Episode 2 is, IMO, just as good as Episode 1. The problem is that it has no real beginning and no real end since it's the middle child of the trilogy.

You should try to report the error back to us, though. I'd love to try and help.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, congrats and welcome to the ranks of Orange Box owners! It's an amazing series of games...

Don't think you're just getting TF2 out of the Orange Box. IMO, and this might get me flamed, it's the worst game of the five...although it's still amazing. It's just hard to beat the HL2 series and I don't think anything shy of Ocarina of Time beats out Portal.

It was not fun seeing 12038109238109381 heavies. Not fun at all. It was saddening. :-/

(Also, if you're thinking of just getting TF2...I urge you to spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is and pick up the rest of the Orange Box. It's DEFINITELY worth it.)
I'm getting Orange Box [7 games for $40!? Pinch me I must be dreaming!] I remembered the rest, I'm actually playing through HL1 right now so I have an idea of how the others will do. I love HL1 and I'll probably love the other ones too if they're anything like the first. I've a little bit of portal gameplay, and while I'm not a puzzle fan I'll definitely give it a go.

Also:

I just got a call and my PC is ready, I just have go pick it up, probably set up the internet connection, transfer some files and I'll be good to go.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For HL2 - Epi 3, I am HIGHLY contemplating adding a second video card and upgraded processor. If the push from HL2.2 is any indication, we are in for a hell of a game.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Gah, do you guys think Valve will update the 360/PS3 versions after all the characters have their weapon updates on PC? TF2 is such a great game and I can't stand not getting all this stuff the PC users are getting because my computer sucks for games.

I know Valve's real fanbase is on the PC, but I would probably pay around 10 bucks for the update.

Oh, and I think ep2 is way better than ep1, as good as ep1 is- the ending battle alone makes it one of the most epic games I've ever played.

I've been getting back into Portal as well. I'm starting to appreciate it as a puzzle game as well as the amazing story/adventure it was my first time through. Going back trying to get the Aperture Science achievement is one of the most challeging things I've ever done in a videogame.

EDIT: Oh yes.

http://kotaku.com/5040417/team-fortress-2-updates-coming-to-xbox-360-later-this-year

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm on my new PC and I'm just loving it. 3.5gigs of RAM, Quad processor running at 2.4ghz, 20" screen and lots of hard drive space to fool around with.

I'm downloading TF2 [Vavle's free weekend] right now and apparently it'll take 17 hours with my connection, which is pretty unfortunate since I wanted to play tonight but I guess tomorrow night will be a good night to play too. I'll have to get my mom to pay for OB tomorrow since she's sleeping now.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Red Exodus: Your computer sounds hott!! asl?

But really, about the Half Life series...and anyone can interject and say whatever they want to correct me here, but...HL1 seems to me to be completely different than the other games. Not in terms of game mechanics, but in terms of delivery and plot.

To me, HL1 has a little story at the beginning and a little at the end, whereas HL2 and co. are pretty much roller coaster rides throughout.

****, I love HL2.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I know what you mean, Sensai.

Unrelated, I was saying "HL" to refer to Half-Life after I've introduced it and been saying it a lot (I'm sure you do the same for other stuff), and this, I swear to God, happened.

Me: *rant about HL2* So that is in a nutshell why HL2 is basically the best FPS ever made.
Halo Fan: HA! I knew you really didn't hate Halo, you were just trolling me?
Me: Dude, wtf are you listening in on our conversation while you're talking to your friends
Halo Fan: Yes, and you know what, I caught you in the ACT of calling Halo 2 the greatest FPS ever! It's about time you let yourself not be a pretentious **** to make yourself look cool.
Me: I'm talking about Half Life 2, genius.
Halo Fan: HaLo 2. What else coulld HL stand for?

I don't know if it was acting annoying on purpose or legitmate stupidity. I wouldn't rule out the later...

EDIT: Forgot to post my new sig.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
^lol
Well, I liked Half Life 2 but I never beat it. I got stuck on some bridge level and never returned, even years later.

But yeah I've been enjoying TF2 lately, I still play a bit of CSS too. Oh yeah, and Source mods; Source has one of the biggest mod communities period.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
@ Red Exodus: Your computer sounds hott!! asl?

But really, about the Half Life series...and anyone can interject and say whatever they want to correct me here, but...HL1 seems to me to be completely different than the other games. Not in terms of game mechanics, but in terms of delivery and plot.

To me, HL1 has a little story at the beginning and a little at the end, whereas HL2 and co. are pretty much roller coaster rides throughout.

****, I love HL2.
You're right, HL1, to me, didn't really push the story, only objectives. I still haven't beat it yet so I don't know about the ending.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ hemightbegiant: I don't wanna turn this into a Halo bashing thread, but that guys pretty dumb. :-/

@ cheap josh: You should definitely finish it. I got a long way into it the first 2 times I played it and stopped both times...finally, I manned up and beat it AND the two episodes in less than two days. Seriously, they're amazing.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I know...I was referring to ME bashing Halo. (mumble mumble GoldenEye 64 mumble mumble)

Also, I really hate crits in TF2. I understand what they're there for and it's all good and such, but DAMMIT if Soldiers don't crit about 20% of the time...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The my only problems with TF2 are face-stabs and demomen [sometimes]. If it weren't for Demomen's low supply of ammo they'd be a lot more annoying to me but it's fun to air blast a bunch of bombs right back at them especially crits in a small room.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
man, nothing is more frustrating then trying to break your kill record on a class and getting facestabbed.

they really really need to fix face stabs.

*bashes halo* perfect dark 64 ftw

EDIT - i call for the clan tag to be [SWF] and not (SMSH) and for those who don't know i am [SWF] DJ! nightss in the clan.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've been playing on an Intox server most of the time, they have some good people there so it's good to watch and learn from them. I also started learning to play Scout, it's tough but I love that feeling when you dash and jump over a HWG's head and kill his medic.

I played Portal for a bit too, at first understanding how the portals work gave me a headache but then it was pretty cool until I got to a part where I had to use momentum to solve the puzzle and I got motion sick :urg:.

I started playing Half Life 2 the other day and it's like heaven. The physics are just so much fun to work with especially with the gravity gun. Right now I'm in Ravenholm and almost out of ammo from panicking too much each time a headcrab or one of those bigger headcrab things jump at me.

I just can't believe I got so many good games for $40 and I still have yet to play ep1, ep2 or Preggle Extreme. I played Half Life Lost Coast and beat the first part but that seems to be the end, I hope it's not though because that mode was pretty sweet.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Red Exodus: Lost Coast was pretty much a tech demo. As far as I know, there's very very little story wise there.

You're in Ravenholm? I'm jealous. Besides System Shock 2, that's probably the scariest part of any game to me simply because of
all those poison headcrabs and their carriers. Those are probably the scariest enemies in any game ever, actually.

And get used to the physics. They make you do that same 'move heavy stuff to this side so that you can walk across' puzzle about 120398102938 times.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I found out it was tech demo a little after I posted and forgot to edit. I heard it was supposed to be before Highway 17 which I'm at now.

I really hated Ravenholm because I didn't want to use the gravity gun because it's a bit slow for some of the situations that come out there so I found myself using everything I had to get through it. I really hated those poison headcrabs as well but whenever they got me there wasn't anything around to take me out so I just recovered.

I have to say, Highway 17 is pretty darn awesome, although I sucked at controlling buggy it was a great experience with outrunning the antlions. At one point I slid into the sea and had to push it back with the GG while the antlions jumped into the water and died.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Haha, I remember I ditched by buggy at a force field on that chapter because I didn't know how to get it through. I heel n' toed it the rest of the way. And the gravity hammer is actually great against headcrabs if you just use the shooting part.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I beat HL2 day before yesterday and I beat Ep1 yesterday.

First off the
upgraded GG was AWESOME. I remember when I first got there I was like 'NOOOOOO MY GUNS' and then I saw the crystal in the GG resisting the beams and I was like 'HELL YES'. I loved bullying everything in sight, nailed down or not, I just wish I got a chance to use it in more places, like in Nova Prospekt or the City.

Controlling the Antlions was also sweet, I wonder if they're any console cheats to give you that stuff earlier in the game, I'd spawn some city 17 citizens and and antlions [under my control] in Ravenholm and shake that place up.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I haven't seen it first hand but it looks like it could be fun to work with if you have a wild enough imagination.

Sensai

Smash Master
Gary's Mod is kinda fun if you're into it...but if you're not sure about how much you'd like it, I'm not sure I can recommend it.

It's like Legos, but with HL2 stuff. So, cool for a bit, but...jeah.

Also: Red Exodus:
Episode 2 is better.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Got a back order of Game Informer, and in their "Second Annual Roast of the Sacred Cows," the Half-Life series was ranked the worst FPS series of all-time, with Goldeneye 007 the worst over-all FPS.

This is my first time hearing about this article, so is it supposed to be sarcastic or are they just stupid to place it above so many others?

To add insult to injury, they put Smash Bros. on the list. Not just Brawl, all of them. :mad:

Sensai

Smash Master
@ hemightbegiant, Gerudo: It's clearly a sarcastic piece. The title is 'Roast of the _Sacred_ Cows.'

Basically, just inverse the list and you should have it about right (meaning, Half Life is amongst the best series of FPS of all time [something I could probably agree with]). It's clearly sarcastic.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I always read sacred as scared so I got confused until Sensai cleared it up, but if that was really a list of the worst games there'd be tears of rage.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
@ hemightbegiant, Gerudo: It's clearly a sarcastic piece. The title is 'Roast of the _Sacred_ Cows.'

Basically, just inverse the list and you should have it about right (meaning, Half Life is amongst the best series of FPS of all time [something I could probably agree with]). It's clearly sarcastic.
It's a roast, it's supposed to make insult/make fun of a specific topic, even though they know it's not true.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Black Waltz: Right, I know. It's just that other people didn't seem to catch that.

Also: Half Life 2 is amazing. Let's talk about it, specifically SPOILERS!
Who is the Gman?

It's not a spoiler specifically for HL2, either; it stretches throughout all of the HL universe games. It involves a character...etc. Anyways, I'll answer my own question:

I'm not sure. I really don't have much of an idea, either, except that he's clearly not working with the Combine. Nor is he working with the aliens...nor is he working with the humans. It seems kinda like he's playing both sides. He's not all powerful ('cause if he was, he woulda done whatever it is he's trying to do).

And he's probably not Gordon Freeman from the future. I just don't like that idea.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't know what to think of the Gman, every time he shows up it's a big mind**** and when he talks it's a mind**** squared but one thing I know for sure is that it would really suck if Gman turned out to be
Gordon's Dad

Also: Gman = G
ordon Free
man

Teehee

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Portal: Still Alive coming out next week. It includes the entire original game and 14 new maps, from what I understand.

Any word on that TF2 360 update?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
They said there's no timeline for the console update [or some weird wording like that], they aren't updating TF2 till 09 because of L4D so that might play a role in it as well.

Someone posted the article on Steam Forums, I think it was on shacknews.com or something like that.

Top Bottom