• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Mewtwo still having the same moveset makes me a bit worried for Roy.
I'm not worried. I'm SURE Roy will be the third Marth of the game, and a waste of a precious dlc slot. I will buy him only to kick his face every day...
I hope I'm wrong, though

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm not worried. I'm SURE Roy will be the third Marth of the game, and a waste of a precious dlc slot. I will buy him only to kick his face every day...
I hope I'm wrong, though
I think cut veterans may be separate from the whole ballot new comers so I wouldn't be too concerned on "wasted slots". I'm convinced that Sakurai is going to make everyone salty about his development choices by giving Roy an updated move set while sporting a new design. It's a win for Roy fans (I guess unless they like his Melee counterpart) but at the same time didn't change several other characters' move sets like Ganondorf, Falco, Lucas, Dark Pit in comparison to Pit etc.

If Sakurai confirms Pichu I'm going to main the little *******.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
If this leak is true, wouldn't that mean that the DLC roster was already chosen, making the Smash Ballot meaningless? :(
all this means is that they were made before the ballot.Meaning the ballot isn't worthless don't worry your little wodden head

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If Ryu get's revealed at e3 I hope he's at least near completion. Also don't screw up Ryu's costume colors Sakurai. I saw what you did to Falco's, and there's still no shiny Lucario.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I believe in a Brawl interview, he said he wanted to limit it to one.
Of course, that was a different game and a long time ago, and he tends to change his mind a lot.

Though, for the sake of inter-company politics, it does seem strange. Namco MAKES the game, and they only get one? Sega might wonder why Nintendo values Capcom more than them, etc.
That is, unless there's some sort of greater purpose for this. Like some people have said, Smash vs. Capcom seems the most likely to me.
I remember Masahiro Sakurai saying something about the "third-party character number" along the lines of "not being too much; probably limited to 1 or 2", but I can't find an interview/source for that; can anyone source this? Regardless, the appearance of third-party characters shouldn't really impact the chance for other third-party characters to get in - as long as they're deserving of a roster slot (a subjective thing, in any case), the more the merrier, I say (although not necessary by any means, I guess it "fits" that Nintendo-native characters outnumber third-party characters on the roster, since Super Smash Bros. began strictly with "Nintendo All-Stars").

View attachment 47692 I for one welcome out new Street Fighter overlords.

Having the greatest fighting game of ALL-TIME with the biggest crossover fighter is big time and something I'll support greatly

Plus there's a possibility my gurl, Chun-Li gets in and the Strongest Woman in World being in Smash makes much more hype.

-Signed a big Street Fighter/Smash Bros fan
Oh, yeah! Chun-Li, the honorary "First Lady of Fighting Games" who trail-blazed a path in the genre, definitely needs to be on the roster alongside Ryu (not to mention those terrific thunder thighs of Chun-Li! :love:). Of all the Street Fighter characters, Ryu and Chun-Li should get priority, in my opinion. My other wishes would be for Guile and Gouken to make it in somehow (probably as Trophies, to at least pay tribute to their respective memetic statuses), along with Crimson Viper (somehow made it into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 over veteran Street Fighter characters that had more seniority, not to mention being hot in more ways than one!).

I always thought that for representing Street Fighter as whole series, they could use just the initials "SF" together in this kind of font:

or they could be more specific with just having Ryu and putting the icon of the Punch Button in many Street Fighter games:

after all, in Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix/Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, a fist was Ryu's symbol;
The "Punch Button" icon seems perfect for a general Street Fighter logo, in my opinion (although there may be slight clashing with the Punch-Out!! logo)... Personally, those buttons are part of what I distinctively remember whenever Street Fighter comes to mind. Additionally, 2 of Ryu's 3 "signature moves" (namely, the Hadouken and Shoryuken) rely on the Punch button (not to mention having the term "fist" in their attack names), and, barring a sword icon, I think a "fist" icon is the best indicator for "fighting games" in general (I mean, we even have the term "fisticuffs" and the phrase "hand-to-hand" combat to show how we are reliant on hands during combat). The Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix/Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo case helps, too.

Ooh, I want a Ken color swap
This costume is definitely needed, although I have a feeling of despair that the developers would just use that as an excuse and give Ken his own spot on the roster as a clone of Ryu (I know that what Ken was basically created for, but we really do not need any more clones on the roster, regardless of what minor "differences" Ken could have to slightly set him apart from Ryu). KEN COSTUME ALL THE WAY!

Kate Hoshimiya of the World Conquest Zvezda Plot anime (which is apparently this girl's identity, from what I can find) is just adorable; that is such a lovely design that she has there! :love:

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
As much as I'd love Ryu getting in, I find it extremely unlikely even with the Street Fighter music files present.

We don't know if they're really gonna be used because of a character. They could very well simply be new music for a stage, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has added songs from a franchise that doesn't have a playable character, and after we got trophies like Rayman, or Commander video, it really would't be all that surprising to see new third party content from a franchise without a character. A Street Fighter song getting added would make perfect sense.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
As much as I'd love Ryu getting in, I find it extremely unlikely even with the Street Fighter music files present.

We don't know if they're really gonna be used because of a character. They could very well simply be new music for a stage, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has added songs from a franchise that doesn't have a playable character, and after we got trophies like Rayman, or Commander video, it really would't be all that surprising to see new third party content from a franchise without a character. A Street Fighter song getting added would make perfect sense.
The main problem with that theory, however, is the fact one of the Street Fighter files is the SFII victory theme, piled alongside the other victory themes, under the name "Ryu".

It's solid evidence, but at this point I don't even know what the devs are planning.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well because of the sound rumor with roy and ryu.

And the fact that the announcer clips were found on 3ds all of those ended up in wii u version thus true announcer voices

Then the palutena one where none of them can figure out the fighter, that turned out to mewtwos so a true guidence

If its 3 for 3 i would not be surprised

So im in for support.

Khao

Smash Lord
Kay, so I know I said it's super unlikely, but that doesn't mean I'm not having fun imagining it.

We all know how ridiculously easy would it be to come up with a fitting moveset for Ryu, it basically bulds itself! Hadoken as his neutral special, Shoryuken as the up special, Tatsumaki Senpukyaku as forward special... Then his standard moves are just as easy, light punch for his jab, light kick and some medium attacks for his tilts, and heavy attacks for his smashes. Aerials would be just as effortles.

But truth is... Doing just that would end up with an incredibly dull and generic fighter. It's certainly something that must be done just like that if we want him to be accuate, but I'm sure we can do better.

Think of all the newcomers in Smash 4. These guys are crazy innovative for Smash characters, some even bringing in new mechanics to better represent how they're played in their own game. Mega Man can seamlessly move and fire at the same time with no restrictions, on top of having a lot of different tools with different purposes. Little Mac relies on dodging and countering his opponent's moves, and even has a completely unique K.O. bar taken straight out of Super Punch Out. Shulk can use his Monado to actually give himself different effects throughout the fight just like he does in Xenoblade (Okay, it's not exactly the same, but it's definitely closely based on it). It's kind of awesome and true to nearly every single non-clone newcomer in this game.

Who's to say they can't do the same with Ryu?

So what can we actually do to make him more unique from other fighters?

On top of the obvious moveset, we throw in the classic and iconic combo system, as well as a Super Gauge.

Combo system should be simple enough. Just make it so Ryu's special moves can cancel the animations of a standard move if they successfully landed. That alone should make him super fun to play.

But then we can add an extra layer of strategy with the Super Gauge, should be filled similarly to Little Mac's K.O. Meter, but has a few more uses in comparison.

Like ****ing EX moves.

Press A+B and you perform an EX version of the special you're using. So A+B does an EX Hadoken, while Up+A+B does an EX Shoryuken. They're stronger, faster and all-around more useful than the regular specials, but they consume a portion of the Super Gauge when you use them, and obviously, they're not available when you don't have it filled enough. Then, if you fill out the entire bar, A+B now does a Shinku Hadoken instead of the EX version, which hits multiple times, and is far more powerful. But obviously, consumes the whole bar. Ryu players should learn to use their Super Gauge properly, and use the right moves at the right times. In general, Ryu should be very dependent on the use of the Super Bar, and neglecting it means you're doing it ****ing wrong and you're gonna lose super easily.

And that, would make Ryu an extremely unique and super technical fighter that's also a lot of fun to play. He would resemble the playstyle of traditional fighting games with a few Street Fighter mechanics, while still feeling like a Smash character in every way possible.

EDIT:
And I forgot the Down Special. I say we port the Focus Attack from Street Fighter IV straight into it. Can be charged, has super armor (only on the first attack it receives!) can be cancelled with movement (Rolling? Double tapping? Dashing?) and stuns the victim.

Heck, if we really wanna go crazy with the accuracy, we could make it capable of canceling his other specials at the cost of a part of the Super Gauge, but that might be taking things a bit too far.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I have just merged every Ryu thread here in order to reduce the number of threads. You may now resume your Ryu-related activities.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I think having Ryu listed under fighter data means something. And the whole "the music is a victory theme, not just music" thing.

Plus, it seems super weird to just add in additional third parties as extra stuff for DLC. Unless they're a big part of the game, like playable. But yeah.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I hope this leak is true; Ryu would be a great addition.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Darn it I thought @Louie G. came back. :urg: Never played a SF so I don't really care about Ryu but I'm fine with this addition.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Add me to the list of supporters, Ryu would be an awesome fit in Smash!!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I would be so hyped to see Ryu in Sm4sh, funnily enough his moves fit pretty well. Also it'd be worth it just for the teeniest possibility of Daigo playing at a Smash tourney.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
If Ryu files are on the Smash Bros' disk, then you guys will get your wish, as it means that his addition has been planned already.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm just thinking it'd be interesting to see how a character from a more traditional fighting game would fare in Smash Bros.

That aside, I really don't know anything about Street Fighter, or Ryu for the matter. Could someone maybe elaborate a bit on who he is and what he does? Aside from punching people.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
I'm just thinking it'd be interesting to see how a character from a more traditional fighting game would fare in Smash Bros.

That aside, I really don't know anything about Street Fighter, or Ryu for the matter. Could someone maybe elaborate a bit on who he is and what he does? Aside from punching people.
Ryu is the main protagonist in Street Fighter. His rival is Ken Masters. He uses moves such as Hadoken and Shoryuken. He is the balanced character in the game, much like Mario in Smash. He is an awesome character that would be awesome in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Darn it I thought @Louie G. came back. :urg: Never played a SF so I don't really care about Ryu but I'm fine with this addition.
I've spoken with him on YouTube a week ago and he said that he might be back in a bit due to DLC hype. So I'm assuming that June would be the time that we would see the original thread owner again.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Ryu files are on the Smash Bros' disk, then you guys will get your wish, as it means that his addition has been planned already.
The Street Fighter music was actually found in a file relating to playable characters. :laugh: But there is the possibility that they somehow forgot to remove the file. (Ryu not making it in)

I'm still completely fine with Ryu being in Smash.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
The Street Fighter music was actually found in a file relating to playable characters. :laugh: But there is the possibility that they somehow forgot to remove the file. (Ryu not making it in)

I'm still completely fine with Ryu being in Smash.
UHAUHAUHAHUHUA are you serious? So you realy think that NINTENDO would just "forget to remove" TWO CAPCOM FU**NG SONGS from the game like that?!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While talking elsewhere about Ryu, one common "fear" about him is that he could be bland as a Smash Fighter: the Hadoken, Mega-Upper Shoryuken and Tatsumaki doesn't bring anything really new on the table, and he is a "simple" punching and kicking guy...

But what if he had his Super combo gauge, allowing him to do EX moves, and maybe the ability to get some % on shields with these (like in the SF games, where special attacks "scratch" the life bar)?

Edit: My laziness made me miss someone bringing this idea already.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
It is so hard to fathom the idea of Ryu being in this game. I'm not denying the leak or anything, but its still weird that Ryu can face the likes of Sonic, Pikachu and Bowser. Superheroes are one thing, but this....this is strange. Before this, his most weird opponent was probably Shuma Gorath.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think the OP spelled my name wrong in the supporters list. Either way add me to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom