• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's just strange that they would include Ryu when Megaman is already Capcom's representative.
It's almost as if...

Shock and awe.

A company can have more than one iconic gaming icon that means something to Nintendo's history.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't remember who said this but none of the third parties actually represent any of the companies they originate from. They represent their franchise instead.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It's almost as if...

Shock and awe.

A company can have more than one iconic gaming icon that means something to Nintendo's history.
And when did I ever say they couldn't?

Iconic or not it's still strange that Nintendo would insert two characters from the same company in Smash, that's all I said.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And when did I ever say they couldn't?

Iconic or not it's still strange that Nintendo would insert two characters from the same company in Smash, that's all I said.
Not really.

I don't know why everyone thinks this ''One person per third party company" thing is a rule but it's never been stated as one.

It'd severely limit who Sakurai could add if he wanted otherwise. Other gaming icons that matter should not be hindered by another person already being in. It works that way for Nintendo characters.

And it shouldn't work that way for 3rd party company's either.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well the one per company rule came on Brawl. And I understand, after all this is mainly Nintendo's game. But it is OK other characters who have been history of Nintendo even if they are out of it or if they meet a requirement like being iconic.

But now with the ballot it is said any character can be in and since working on Sm4ash Sakurai did said the ide to even place 2 Capcom characters.

When we go with iconic, I also saw Chun Li as an icon from Street Fighter and female vg characters and also saw her chances, oddly Ono said he wanted M. Bison.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Not really.

I don't know why everyone thinks this ''One person per third party company" thing is a rule but it's never been stated as one.

It'd severely limit who Sakurai could add if he wanted otherwise. Other gaming icons that matter should not be hindered by another person already being in. It works that way for Nintendo characters.

And it shouldn't work that way for 3rd party company's either.
I believe in a Brawl interview, he said he wanted to limit it to one.
Of course, that was a different game and a long time ago, and he tends to change his mind a lot.

Though, for the sake of inter-company politics, it does seem strange. Namco MAKES the game, and they only get one? Sega might wonder why Nintendo values Capcom more than them, etc.
That is, unless there's some sort of greater purpose for this. Like some people have said, Smash vs. Capcom seems the most likely to me.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
Not sure why 2 capcom reps would be bad, I would love to see ryu fight megaman.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
This is pretty nuts. Ryu was actually one of my most wanted Smash4 characters (in fact, I had him pegged for Capcom Rep over Megaman, simple because we all know Capcom has forgotten Megaman exists right?), but I absolutely did not see this coming.

Also, does anyone think this timing is a little strange? SF5 for Wii U announced at E3, + reveal of Ryu for Smash Bros?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Street fighter 5 is a Pc and ps4 exclusive...
As far as we know, that's the point. It's not a true exclusive, Capcom is still publishing it and it doesn't look like anyone paid money for it, it's quite possible it could go to something else, but if it was coming to Wii U that'd be a pretty huge surprise.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
MGS4 remains a PS3 exclusive and had music from in in brawl.
Yeah but Snake was announced right at the beginning (at a request from Kojima, no less), he wasn't just randomly added out of nowhere.

Obviously there's no confirmation or something but it's a game that isn't really tied up by Sony and has no real reason to be exclusive, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
As far as we know, that's the point. It's not a true exclusive, Capcom is still publishing it and it doesn't look like anyone paid money for it, it's quite possible it could go to something else, but if it was coming to Wii U that'd be a pretty huge surprise.
Sony is funding SFV (including the PC version), just like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2;... a version for Wii U isn't happening; .. but I can see Ultra Street Fighter IV being ported.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
street_fighter___ryu_by_elrick87-d35vng7.jpg
I for one welcome out new Street Fighter overlords.

Having the greatest fighting game of ALL-TIME with the biggest crossover fighter is big time and something I'll support greatly

Plus there's a possibility my gurl, Chun-Li gets in and the Strongest Woman in World being in Smash makes much more hype.

-Signed a big Street Fighter/Smash Bros fan

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
i am completely hyped for this character and I hope all of this is real. Plus I wouldn't mind having a 2nd character that can do a Helicopter kick B)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

So..... this happened:

For those of you out of the loop, this song was found in the 3DS Data ROM, along with a victory theme for Ryu (As well as Lucas and Roy). This has been confirmed by 3 separate sources, so it looks like Ryu, at the very least, has a VERY strong chance of being Smash DLC in the near future.

And there isn't a character support thread for him on Smashboards, surprisingly, so..... Sup?

I'm probably not the right person to run this thread, I've never even played a Street Fighter game, but I'm willing too, I've always wanted to run a thread. I just figured that this needed to be made in lieu of recent events.

If someone doesn't take ownership soon I'll update this OP to make it prettier, but until then, Ryu in Smash Bros! What are your guys's thoughts?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Still trying to figure out what the SF emblem is going to be.
I always thought that for representing Street Fighter as whole series, they could use just the initials "SF" together in this kind of font:

or they could be more specific with just having Ryu and putting the icon of the Punch Button in many Street Fighter games:

after all, in Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix/Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, a fist was Ryu's symbol;

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am not a street fighter fan... but I could see him fitting into the smash roster.

Isn't my first choice by a long shot though... but SF fans would probably love a representative.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ryu being a character is so hype. I'm a huge fan of Street Fighter, and he is definitely an icon of gaming. He's essentially the mascot and face of fighting games.

I can see it now, his stage would be the rooftop from SF2, with the breakable sign posts that you can throw people into for extra damage.

Maybe he could have the Japanese flag as his symbol, or for something that better represents the series, he could have a VS, a hadoken, or the headband.

His palettes would be: Default, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sean, Evil Ryu, SF1 Ryu (Ala MVC3's DLC costume), and either Gouken or Sakura for the last one.

Music would include:
SF2 Opening
Ryu's Stage Remix
Ryu's Stage Original
Guile's Stage
Chun-Li's Stage
Ken's Stage
Cammy's Stage
Indestructible (SF4 Theme)
SF3 Rap

UpB is Shoryuken
SideB is Tatsumaki
B is Hadoken (Three levels. Tap for regular, charge a bit for Denjin, and max charge is flaming hadoken)
DownB is that power kick from SF3, which could have shield breaking or launching properties. (It does cause a wall bounce in MVC3)
Final Smash is Shinku Hadoken
And then his tilts, aerials, smashes, and throws can all be implanted straight from the Street Fighter games. I can see it now!

These would be the trophies:
Ryu
Ryu (Alt)
Shinku Hadoken
Ken
Akuma
Chun-Li
Guile
M. Bison
Sagat
Sakura
Blanka
Zangief
E. Honda
Dhalsim
Balrog
Vega
Cammy

Bring in Chun-Li as an assist trophy and we've got Street Fighter fully represented!
They have to add this theme since they reference MvC in Megaman's moveset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQDrx0PA4Y

Also I want Chun Li playable more but a AT is fine

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Yeah, I suspect it will be Ryu's kanji on his belt.

rdg121193, I would tell you to support Chun Li on the ballot but most likely she can't be in if Ryu trully is there.

Another silly idea, is Shadowlaw's logo as the SF icon, as it seems to be used at times.

D

Deleted member

I will buy premium just to have Ryu show up on every...single...post i make...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not going to support Ryu

Especially since I don't think he NEEDS support, I consider him in the game already

But I'll a little hyped for him

During development I would have been against Ryu, but that was only because Mega Man > Ryu

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
If this leak is true, wouldn't that mean that the DLC roster was already chosen, making the Smash Ballot meaningless? :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If this leak is true, wouldn't that mean that the DLC roster was already chosen, making the Smash Ballot meaningless? :(
It could also mean there is going to be more DLC than we thought

OR

They are only choosing 1 ballot character

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
It could also mean there is going to be more DLC than we thought

OR

They are only choosing 1 ballot character
I sincerely hope the former is true, though it's looking like my theory that those ballots are just illusions of choice put out to placate the Smash fanbase is true after all. :( I really question if any ballot characters will make it in at all, or if they're just polling to get ideas for Smash 5.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I kinda don't want this to be true because of Ryu, but if it happens then I won't complain about it. The more the merrier I always say. Plus we get Roy, and even if he is still a Marth clone, it will be nice to have another veteran that is actually a different character

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Ryu in Smash feels off to me. I always thought of Smash as a series where characters who would never appear in a serious fighter could go and duke it out. That was a lot of the appeal to me. The inclusion of a character that exists only in a fighter game just... Feels odd. I'd have to see him in game to really make a judgement on this, but it doesn't feel right.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
The inclusion of a character that exists only in a fighter game just... Feels odd. I'd have to see him in game to really make a judgement on this, but it doesn't feel right.
Don't forget, Little Mac came from the same boat as Ryu - only existing in a fairly intense fighter (expect for his one appearance in Captain Rainbow, where he let himself go. Guess Doc shown him the magic of chocolate bars?).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom