• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It is so hard to fathom the idea of Ryu being in this game. I'm not denying the leak or anything, but its still weird that Ryu can face the likes of Sonic, Pikachu and Bowser. Superheroes are one thing, but this....this is strange. Before this, his most weird opponent was probably Shuma Gorath.
He fights a super villain (M.Bison) all the time tho. :laugh:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It is so hard to fathom the idea of Ryu being in this game. I'm not denying the leak or anything, but its still weird that Ryu can face the likes of Sonic, Pikachu and Bowser. Superheroes are one thing, but this....this is strange. Before this, his most weird opponent was probably Shuma Gorath.
It is surprising considering Ryu opened the gate for more than 1 3rd party character per company, but it's not as weird if you look at all the other Streetfighter characters over the years. If you ever heard of Smash Bros Crusade they have like 3 Streetfighter characters in their game so until we get Smash 4 Ryu we can get an idea of how he'll translate in a platform fighter.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
So, maybe a Ken costume + customs that make him more like Ken?

I'm not the most familiar with SF, and I barely used either, but I think that would be viable.

Spatman

Smash Ace
The Street Fighter music was actually found in a file relating to playable characters. :laugh: But there is the possibility that they somehow forgot to remove the file. (Ryu not making it in)

I'm still completely fine with Ryu being in Smash.
these files were found exploring the patch of April 15. They weren't on the disk

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Actually, today I figured out that Ryu could in fact bring unique skills for Smash, which is something Sakurai considers when choosing who becomes or not a character.
If he brings his cancels and EX/Super Meter, he could become unique.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ho would a Street Fighter a Stage work in Smash?

Will just be a Final Destination with breakable objects(based off of the original Street Fighter 2)

Platforms maybe? Sakurai can't be that crazy or insane to add any hazards to it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ho would a Street Fighter a Stage work in Smash?

Will just be a Final Destination with breakable objects(based off of the original Street Fighter 2)

Platforms maybe? Sakurai can't be that crazy or insane to add any hazards to it.
Assuming that Ryu's theme is the "main" theme of the stage, we should get this.

I think that there's things to do with a japanese castle. More than a flat stage!

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Just a thought, but what if Ryu in Smash turns out to be Street Fighter II Ryu? Like, in sprite form and everything, rather than the modern 3D Ryu. Would make sense also considering the music carried with him.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, but what if Ryu in Smash turns out to be Street Fighter II Ryu? Like, in sprite form and everything, rather than the modern 3D Ryu. Would make sense also considering the music carried with him.
He would probably look really out of place if they did that. I think his SFIV design is what they'll use.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering that Megaman is a 3D model based on his NES sprite, I doubt that we get "Mr Street and Fight" :troll:

Also, Ryu's design hasn't evolved much, compared to the different Megamans, or Pac-Man (the recent Pac-Man cartoon :facepalm:)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think Ryu will be a really interesting character if his moveset involves translating conventional fighting game conventions into smash.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I have this theory that the A+B Smash mechanic added in this patch could eventually be used for Ryu.

I saw an idea of him having a super meter above his character portrait. So maybe he could use portions of his meter for EX variations of his special moves and could do specific button combinations for Supers. I mean that'd be really neat, huh??

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
An idea, if they're going for retro Street Fighter then Ryu could have Ken as an alternate. Not the colors like different face model and everything, like Olimar and Alph. Ken started off as a Ryu clone after all.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Okay, pessimistic idea here:

What if it's for a Mii Fighter?
Like, they planned on costumes changing themes at first. IE: Link would cause the Zelda theme to play, Dunbam the Xenoblade theme, etc. What if that was the plan, and we're just getting a costume?

Of course, the theme points at a stage, and if we're getting a stage, we're likely getting a character too. But I could see it being stage+costume.

Graizen

Smash Champion

Like, they planned on costumes changing themes at first. IE: Link would cause the Zelda theme to play, Dunbam the Xenoblade theme, etc. What if that was the plan, and we're just getting a costume?

Of course, the theme points at a stage, and if we're getting a stage, we're likely getting a character too. But I could see it being stage+costume.
We have a VICTORY THEME , it is not for a Mii Costume you know?

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929

Do the mii outfits change the victory theme?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
That's maybe too much costumes :troll: And there would be no point having Akuma AND Evil Ryu as palettes.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 nails it IMO. Although we don't need the "cosmic avatar" palette (but it gives an idea about Metal Ryu appearance :awesome:)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
My idea for costumes would be just recolours based on the most iconic SF characters. He comes white as standard, with a red Ken recolour, Blue Chun-Li recolour, Green Guile/Blanka recolour, and a couple of others (including the obvious black Akuma/Evil Ryu recolour).

I think getting a full alt for a 3rd party character is perhaps overkill (and if it were happening I'd have expected to see it happen to Sonic first), though I wouldn't mind it.

Also, regarding moves: the Neutral, Up and Side specials are the most obvious ones in any discussion to ever come up with. What would you put as the down special though? I did read a very good idea for having the Focus Attack from SFIV, being very slow but with super armour and stunning if it hit.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That's maybe too much costumes :troll: And there would be no point having Akuma AND Evil Ryu as palettes.
Well to be fair Lucario has color that's just a darker version of his standard one. Ryu better have a Dan color or I'll riot.:troll:
I also like the idea of the Focus Attack. I become basically a mix of a Warlock Punch and Mewtwo's Disable.
It would be great if he has the Focus Attack. I think his Forward Smash could be his focus attack while his down special could that kick move someone mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about the victory theme and stage music being (what sounds like) direct rips from SFII? Do you think they're placeholder, or would it be too costly to record new music at this point?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well to be fair Lucario has color that's just a darker version of his standard one.
Ryu better have a Dan color or I'll riot.:troll:
Yeah. Also Pac-Man have a yellow alt color. Or Male/Female default Robin.
But having Evil Ryu AND Akuma as palette really seems unnecessary. (Although there's also Toon Link with two retro alt color, meaning he have 3 greens palettes.)
I absolutely agree for Dan's palette though!

I'd say that the difference between Pac-Man/Sonic and Ryu is that he actually have clothing, while the mascots have a distinct skin color that SEGA/Namco probably didn't want to change.

It would be great if he has the Focus Attack. I think his Forward Smash could be his focus attack while his down special could that kick move someone mentioned earlier.
This means that he would be "similar" to Little Mac, if the focus attack as a Smash retains the armor. But it's a natural choice for a chargeable Smash.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
What do you guys think about the victory theme and stage music being (what sounds like) direct rips from SFII? Do you think they're placeholder, or would it be too costly to record new music at this point?
It's possible Capcom wanted it to be rips.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's possible Capcom wanted it to be rips.
I see it more as placeholders, as Megaman have lots of remixes, compared to Pac-Man and especially Sonic.

Ryu's retro victory theme screams "NOSTALGIAAAAAA" to me, as SF2 is my first fighting game (spamming kicks with Chun-Li back then :p) but it would be really odd among the other victory theme, even the retro characters, like Duck Hunt, G&W, ROB, and even Megaman and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I see it more as placeholders, as Megaman have lots of remixes, compared to Pac-Man and especially Sonic.

Ryu's retro victory theme screams "NOSTALGIAAAAAA" to me, as SF2 is my first fighting game (spamming kicks with Chun-Li back then :p) but it would be really odd among the other victory theme, even the retro characters, like Duck Hunt, G&W, ROB, and even Megaman and Pac-Man.
True. I also think it's a placeholder. The full Ryu's Stage theme is likely what it sounds like though.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Actually, today I figured out that Ryu could in fact bring unique skills for Smash, which is something Sakurai considers when choosing who becomes or not a character.
If he brings his cancels and EX/Super Meter, he could become unique.
But then he'd just be ryu inserted into smash, smash characters are supposed to be different from there smash version.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
True. I also think it's a placeholder. The full Ryu's Stage theme is likely what it sounds like though.
Yes, having the retro Ryu's stage theme isn't out of place on the other hand, like Green Hill, Namco's Medleys and Megaman's Medleys.
Just that I expect the victory theme to be remixed.

But then he'd just be ryu inserted into smash, smash characters are supposed to be different from there smash version.
He will be able to double jump in Smash :troll:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ryu will always be like that since he's Ryu. But they can definitely get him to work in Smash Bros like a true Smash bros character.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm not sure if it's yet been discussed here, but how do you think people would feel about incorporating iconic SF moves from other characters into Ryu's moveset? Obviously being faithful to him should always be the priority, but if you take every move from him out of SFIV at least, you still lack some moves, which, if you look at other characters, can easily be filled with instantly recognisable attacks. For example:

Up Air - Flash Kick (Guile) - This is the big one for me as when trying to come up with a moveset for Ryu, there isn't really anything that I think would make a good Up Air, and this is perfect.

Up Throw - Spinning Piledriver (Zangief) - Obvious kill throw. Ryu's throws really feel most appropriate as Down/Back throws so something needs to be implemented here.

Side Smash - Tiger Knee (Sagat) - This could admittedly be a Forward Air as well, but Ryu has plenty of punches for that, and there are enough parallels between Ryu and Falcon (pretty much the entire set of standard attacks, plus the U-Air if you went for Flash Kick) without giving him a knee as well.

Mostly I am curious as to the reactions if people incorporated other characters moves into Ryu. I can see it being taken both positively as a nice nod to the series as a whole, but also more negatively by people wanting to stay more strict to the games (though I'm not sure how you can).

But then he'd just be ryu inserted into smash
I'd be extremely surprised if we got much more than "Ryu in Smash" - between him being a 3rd party, with the pressure to stay true to his character, and the fact that his moveset is so iconic (I'd argue most famous in fighting game history) the number of people who'd want to change it is a vast minority.

I will happily wager Ryu's moveset is for the vast majority going to feel like a straight translation from Street Fighter. There is a small amount of potential for mixups in some of the moves he doesn't have a direct analog for in Street Fighter (namely Up and Back attacks) but they're almost certainly never going to choose something new where they can put anything even remotely recognisable from Street Fighter. Anyone who expects otherwise is going to be disappointed as Nintendo/Capcom aren't going to alienate a legion of fans who will expect nothing less than the Ryu they know and love.

I am a big fan of the EX gauge idea personally. Its inclusion would be an interesting gameplay mechanic for him, and a welcome reference to his original series. In some sense I think it would be a shame if they didn't use it because it would be a fun and unique mechanic in the game, especially if it acted similarly to the games in that it didn't give much extra knockback to his attacks, but increased opportunities to lengthen combo strings.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't really mind if Ryu get moves from other characters, but I think it should stay true to the character, more or less.

So seeing him suddenly using a wrestling technique from a big russian seems a bit out of place... :p

On the other hand, the flash kick is basically just Captain Falcon / Ganondorf U-air. It's less specific, so it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom