• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guild Wars 2

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Genre: Action MMORPG
ERSB Rating: T
Platform: PC
Developer: ArenaNet
Publisher: NCSoft
MSRP: $59.99

"Guild Wars 2 is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game in development by ArenaNet. Set in the fantasy world of Tyria, the game follows the re-emergence of Destiny's Edge, a disbanded guild dedicated to fighting the Elder Dragons, a Lovecraftian species that has seized control of Tyria in the time since the original Guild Wars. The game takes place in a persistent world with a story that progresses in instanced environments.
Guild Wars 2 claims to be unique in the genre by featuring a storyline that is responsive to player actions, something which is common in single player role-playing games but rarely seen in multiplayer ones. A dynamic event system replaces traditional questing, utilising the ripple effect to allow players to approach quests in different ways as part of a persistent world. Also of note is the combat system, which aims to be more dynamic than its predecessor by promoting synergy between professions and using the environment as a weapon, as well as reducing the complexity of the Magic-style skill system of the original game. As a sequel to Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 will feature the same lack of subscription fees that distinguished its predecessor from other commercially developed online games of the time, though a purchase is still required to install the game."

-Wikipedia, with selective bolding

This game is amazing. Dynamic events are pretty cluster****y at low levels, but at higher levels when fewer people are around, strategy and teamwork comes into play. Landscapes rivaling Skyrim in beauty, quests where "fill this bar up" doesn't feel like bar-filling, fast-paced combat, I can't get enough of this game. And I haven't even touched WvW yet.

Wave⁂
wavedash.9310 (Henge of Denravi), Sylvarian Thief / Asuran Engineer

Player-3
wampuh.8394 (Darkhaven)

Holder of the Heel
Denouement, Asuran Necromancer

mood4food77
whosethedocnow.5983

Upke
Upke (Ferguson's Crossing)

Hylian
Hylian.8730 (Fort Aspenwood)

Frolossus
Frolossus.9127 (Ehmry Bay)

Tsusaki
Yudith.5126 (Sorrow's Furnace), Human Ranger / Human Elementalist

Turazrok
Turaz.1036 (Darkhaven), Human Guardian

Crossjeremiah
crossjeremiah.4691 (Tarnished Coast)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH This is not the MMO I was excited for, but the others have monthly fees which I believe is a waste of money. I may try this just because of that

Turazrok

Smash Master
IDK I play on Borealis Pass or something and Yak's Bend is constantly bending us over in WvW I'll post my code later cuz client is bugging out but w/e dudes.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS. It really seemed like no one liked this game at all, every time I tried to mention it to people I got the cold shoulder.

I am on Ehmry Bay, and I mostly play a Necromancer Asura named "Denouement". This game is awesome, seriously. Sometime from now there will be a guesting system that allows for server jumping. but that is something we could do. Unfortunately we didn't discuss this game earlier, we could have chosen our own server to all play in. >_>

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I'm nobody, so I doubt anyone cares, but I play this game a lot and love it. I would love to play with fellow Smashers as well; I think it'd be cool. I tend to do mostly sPvP.

So, I guess, if anyone's interested in some PvPing:
Upke (Ferguson's Crossing)

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, really tempted to make a Guardian with my last remaining, wondering though if I should instead make an Engineer. I have issues with both, like I'm not entirely sure what to do with either of them, and the Guardian doesn't have an elites that particularly interest me.

The Engineer's Supply Crate elite skill is really nice though, particularly because their is a trait that specifically adds to it with some more med kits and another turret; it is also particularly helpful in sPvP because I almost always see Engineers using them on the nodes and it makes for a much more difficult encounter. Also interested in the flamethrower, which might be nice to switch to after having used that elite because of its close range, and a trait that goes with it that grants you a lot of toughness and stability when using it. Then perhaps a bomb kit because I've seen them set those on points and essentially knocking people off of them (though you'd have to do that a lot for you to capture the point). Maybe an elixer in the next utility slot, not sure which one to go with though. The one that turns all conditions into boons is nice, but I almost always see Engineer's using the one that gets them out of stuns and shrinks them.

Not going to worry about that at the moment, I've been focusing entirely on my first character, trying to clear all of the maps and the storyline, and got to level 9 on sPvP so far. Wish there were more pvp maps, and maybe even an arena deathmatch like in Guild Wars 1 to use as a brief break from conquest.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
My PvE Engineer is using the swiftness elixir, flamethrower, and rocket turret.

Abilities that give swiftness are amazing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian.8730 playing on Fort Aspenwood.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
can someone explain the homeworlds system to me?

from what i understand, the homeworld i pick is tied to my account and i can only play on that server?
so then i can't play with people on other servers without literally purchasing the game again or purchasing a world transfer thing?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

from what i understand, the homeworld i pick is tied to my account and i can only play on that server?
so then i can't play with people on other servers without literally purchasing the game again or purchasing a world transfer thing?
That is correct.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

That sounds so ********. Why can't a person play on multiple servers??

Frolossus

Smash Lord
so there is literally nothing i can do to play with friends on a different server without paying for a transfer?

i haven't picked a world yet and now its hard to decide >.<

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No it's kind of just dumb and the reason is money.

They are also banning people left and right for simple things like cussing(even though they have a profanity filter?) to buying cheap items from vendors.

Player-3

Smash Hero
zz let me clear up the ban things

NOBODY was banned for just buying cheap items from the vender (the item in question was a culture sword at a vendor that was 1000x cheaper than it was supposed to be)

people that bought 1-2 for their use and just thought it was a deal didnt get touched

people who bought up to 50ish were suspended for exploiting

people who bought 100+ and ridiculous amounts were banned permanently

also the world thing they are introducing a guesting thing where you can visit your friends worlds to play with them (but you still get the wvw bonuses of your own home world and stuff) it's just not in the game yet

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
zz let me clear up the ban things

NOBODY was banned for just buying cheap items from the vender (the item in question was a culture sword at a vendor that was 1000x cheaper than it was supposed to be)

people that bought 1-2 for their use and just thought it was a deal didnt get touched

people who bought up to 50ish were suspended for exploiting

people who bought 100+ and ridiculous amounts were banned permanently

also the world thing they are introducing a guesting thing where you can visit your friends worlds to play with them (but you still get the wvw bonuses of your own home world and stuff) it's just not in the game yet
Regardless, it's simple logic to buy a lot of something that is cheap and isn't exploiting the game in the slightest. No where in their rules does it say you can only buy a certain amount of items. Buying a lot of something is in NO WAY an exploit.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Regardless, it's simple logic to buy a lot of something that is cheap and isn't exploiting the game in the slightest. No where in their rules does it say you can only buy a certain amount of items. Buying a lot of something is in NO WAY an exploit.
Well, they were technically exploiting. The problem is that they were exploiting ArenaNet's screw up in the item's price. In my opinion, this means it's more ArenaNet's fault than it is the players, because it would be pretty hard to see that insane price and not want some. I think they should've just rolled back those characters who bought the item in question.

In the end, they are allowing the players who were permanently banned to appeal for a 72-hour ban as long as they delete the items/profit they made from them, so it shares the end result of a rollback (though they made some people pretty angry this way).

Player-3

Smash Hero
^ ^

pretty much that (not that i don't agree with you hylian i still think the banning is dumb but yeah its not like anet banned EVERYONE that bought the items)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There were (at least) two examples of this happening with bad pricing. One of them, people were able to convert Karma to Gold at approximately 3 times a better exchange rate than any alternative. The other example, one vendor among five that sold similar weapons and equipment was selling items for 1000 times less than the other four.

First one is very questionable, second one is clearly an exploit. Yeah, ArenaNet is also at fault, but it was obviously unintended (it was only accessible to higher-level players who should know the value of a level 60 weapon is not 21 Karma). Pretty sure the ToS/EULA/bull**** no one reads says you don't do this kind of stuff.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I understand banning is extreme, but seriously, people exploiting crap is just dumb, why the heck would they think that is a smart thing to do? And the cussing thing is either people putting it in their names (words that are offensive in alternate languages) and the other are people who were legitimately going on the chat and being complete *******s, says Woodenpotates on youtube, who researched it. The former is a bit inappropriate, but the latter banning is perfectly fine to me. I don't want GW2 to have a bad community, GW1 at times, when it wasn't being excellent, could be downright nasty, to the point that I couldn't play with my PvP characters anymore because it was just a hassle to play. So far though everyone has been awesome from what I've seen.

And yeah, if you are having trouble choosing servers, just pick the one where your friends are (or the most friends). You can guest yourself to other servers if you have friends there, so it's basically the same thing as playing on any server you want really.

Question, is there any fast way to get higher in the glory ranks that I'm not aware of? I'm only at 9, but getting to 10, with glory boosts and winning most games, it is incredibly slow. Perhaps tournaments might be better, though I think they were down last time I checked.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
Frolossus.9127 @ ehmry bay

tried playing a ranger for a while and disliked it, switched to mesmer and i'm having a blast.

literally over the course of 2 hours or so i've had like 3 different events where we got mobbed with enemies for 15-20 minutes straight

Turazrok

Smash Master
Hit 40 :O yay me.

As a GW vanilla vet I'm kinda annoyed lol.

But I like the extra content and weapon skills.

Guardian is fun :O

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
65 myself. :D

Found out that the permabans were uplifted and temporary bans were put in place along with a warning that any more exploits of this nature will be toughly punished. Either they realized from reactions that it was harsh or that it was their intention to kick some *** and take names to be taken seriously.

And I recently got the limited edition guide, and while most of it is stuff I already know, it is extremely sexy, and the art within is excellent. Though I did take a lot from reading through all of the professions very carefully, at first some didn't interest me, but turning each page and looking at it on a format other than wikis and such got me appreciating the ones I haven't touched so much (in example, the Elementalist and particularly the Ranger). To anyone who doesn't know the history of Tyria, and the happenings of all of the games, or needs a refresher, it has pages dedicated to giving all of the details that are easy to read and a joy as well.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
What are everyone's thoughts on the classes so far? I've been trying out Necro and it's so-so for me but I'm only 16-17 so far. Thinking about picking up Mesmer too.

Any tips for building low-level Necro if anyone has? Right now I just run 3 fiend spells because I don't really have any dot spells available just yet, only one siphon and wells.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I've had the most fun for PvE with Elementalist and Ranger. PvP wise........I've yet to find a class I can really enjoy it with. :(

Edit: My gw2 info

Tsusaki
Yudith.5126 (Sorrow's Furnace) Human Ranger/Human Elementalist

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Thief is really fun, I love how mobile you can be. Engineer depends on your build. Turrets do pretty good damage, but they have absurd CDs. Flamethrower is a blast, haven't tried any support-focused builds yet. Mesmer feels clunky to me. Staff's main attack is pretty awesome, but there's like 4 seconds between activating the ability and damage being done. Main-hand sword feels underwhelming.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Quaggan is really cute indeed.. at first I didn't like them, but now I love listening to them talk hah. XD

Anyways, as for Necromancers, minions are pretty decent for PvE because they are convenient, allow you to fight pretty mindlessly and effortlessly without taking much damage if any. In PvP it CAN work, assuming you have picked the traits that make them harder to kill, hit for more damage, have a shortened recharge time, can siphon health to you, and have that minor trait that raises your toughness per minion out. If you don't go all out with it, your minions will simply bring you down, I suspect. Of course, your elite would have to be the Golem, for the Lich is good but wipes all of your minions so is a bit counter-intuitive, and the Plague wouldn't be properly utilized, and the Golem gets all of the benefits your other minions do from the traits, so is an upgraded elite.

I do recommend you try other things, such as a Life Force/defensive oriented build, and also a condition build, either in PvE or PvP (preferably the first because the latter can be tough and might give the wrong impression). If you stick with minions throughout the game you might be missing out on something else that you might like, or that will simply add to your knowledge of profession. Of course if you are making a condition build, you might want to use Corruptions (the Signet of Spite is kind of nice as well), and perhaps a Scepter/Focus, which gives you conditions and a move that improves through the amount you have on someone. The second weapon should probably be the staff, the staff is pretty much a staple. Marks are fun, auto attack gains life force, has some conditions, good range. With a Life Force oriented build, you want to be hard to kill, which is a lot more general than a condition build and thus a bit more open. Definitely use a Lich though, and perhaps Spectral Armor and Signet of Undeath for Life Force. Just be sure to put 30 points in Soul Reaping, and then to add on the defense I personally go 30 Blood Magic then 10 Death Magic, picking any trait that helps out staves along the way (shorten recharge time, marks grant life force, marks have a large. I don't do an awful amount of damage to things, but I'm hard to kill, and anything that outlasting can't kill the Lich Form usually can.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I just got mad kited as a guardian by a hunter :C

Need a cripple spell :/

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Thieves are strong, though they usually go down fast, even against me who doesn't use much of a power or damage build.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Thieves are strong, though they usually go down fast, even against me who doesn't use much of a power or damage build.
so they are still by far the most fun

and thieves go down fast but they're so mobile they are hard to hit sometimes (except vs guardians because lolaoefire and uber heals)

Top Bottom