• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guaranteed Rest Combos?

Killress

Smash Ace
Anyone aware of any? I've been landing half of the hits of the drill kick -> rest while in the air but I have no idea if that's guaranteed or if my opponent is just not DIing well. That and UAIR -> rest have been my most successful options thus far.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think up-tilt to rest still works.

I also know a lot of defensive stuff works like oos rest and crouch to short-hop rest

Killress

Smash Ace
I think up-tilt to rest still works.

I also know a lot of defensive stuff works like oos rest and crouch to short-hop rest
Yeah, I've been punishing running attacks with oos rest. Running up and resting really takes some people by surprise online, though I don't think they really knew what they were doing.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Yeah, I've been punishing running attacks with oos rest. Running up and resting really takes some people by surprise online, though I don't think they really knew what they were doing.
Many people online don't know the match up against the character.
I personally haven't found a combo that leads up to rest, other than uptilt rest im guessing?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
zura, uair rest works

also there aren't too many rest combos. I've gone for all sorts of stuff but they usually shield or airdodge, so it's not worth trying in a serious match since there just isn't enough hitstun for that many rest followups

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
opponent on the ledge? roll into them and sleep I've gotten like 40+ rests like this, so ez

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is sing an actual viable move to use into rest yet or is it still crap?

I like applying slight shield pressure, spot dodge the grab, then resting them. It works quite well from what I've seen.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
sing is garbage for resting, better to taunt then fsmash

sleeping fighters go prone and are very hard to hit with rest imo

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
sing is garbage for resting, better to taunt then fsmash

sleeping fighters go prone and are very hard to hit with rest imo
This is true, I've caught plenty of people with Sing, then I follow up in going up to their face, Rest, and nothing happens.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I SH reverse weak hit Fair->Rested someone online

Not sure if that's a true combo though.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
I know one. Punish a jump with Fair - U air twice - Jump into rest. It should take 4 jumps. 2 jumps for the rest. Doesn't work on Bowser or DK.

ThaWhiplash

Smash Rookie
I can't post links until I get 10 posts but...

This guy gets continuous rests in a montage of his I watched from walking into sleeping opponents. Is it possible to do now due to the buff on the rest hitbox?

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
I can't post links until I get 10 posts but...

This guy gets continuous rests in a montage of his I watched from walking into sleeping opponents. Is it possible to do now due to the buff on the rest hitbox?
Walk up rest works on sleeping foes I think(I'll check when I get home). It also works on awake foes.
However, I could be wrong 'bout this, if you just walk up to rest I believe some of the bigger chars hurtboxs will push you out of rest's range.

Droogaon

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I just yolo it and rest out of nowhere. Terrible idea though. Sometimes pound into rest if the other person is at very low percent will work.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
did you get a replay? that sounds pretty sick lol
No I didn't =(

I've been messing around with rest combo's/punishes a lot lately, but I didn't save everything (I wasn't aware one could save replays online at first). Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but one of my favorite things to do against Pac-Man is rest out of shield punishing his side b<3 I might have angered some Pac-Man mains in the process, lol.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sometimes I just yolo it and rest out of nowhere. Terrible idea though. Sometimes pound into rest if the other person is at very low percent will work.
regular pound doesn't combo into rest, but sometimes you can catch people off guard with it. Risky though since a lot of people mash airdodge after things like that

Killress

Smash Ace
regular pound doesn't combo into rest, but sometimes you can catch people off guard with it. Risky though since a lot of people mash airdodge after things like that
I've found air dodging peoples' aerials or up smashes while you're above them lead to pretty safe rests. Especially if they engage you from under with aerials... You can kill at really early percents if they do.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Up air to rest combos but you usually have to jump on the earliest possible frames to get a realistic window and you also should be trying to connect with the upmost part of this hitbox, it has one near the top of Jiggs. If you do both of these things you can increase your window to land rest off an up air by a lot.

Up tilt combos into rest, but its very low percent only and isn't very good vs characters with strong punishes, I like to up air off my utilt instead as its a stright profit of 9% damage.

You can Fair to rest with weak fair, I've done it multiple times and it does register as a consecutive hit in training. Weak nair can work as well but its very impractical and difficult. The percent window for nair is also super tiny.

I'm wondering if Jiggs can do any jabs into rest at higher percent assuming knockback works the same as it does in other games, since rest comes out presumably instantly its something we can try. Total speculation here though.

Oh, up air to up tilt combos into rest as well and is heavily dependant on Jiggs current percent.

I don't know how rage effect mechanics work in training. In conclusion, yes she can combo into rest but its not very good most of the time, as stated earlier, rest is best used out of shield.

I can't see her getting combos from any other moves she has, like throws, smashes, or ftilt/dtilt.

Last edited:

Elthon

Smash Rookie
I actually land my rest coming back down like 80 percent of the time. Especially when timed correctly to use it as a counter for other Up smashes or against Cptn. Falcons. There are two videos of me doing this floating around. I actually think they are posted in the Jiggs performance thread! Super fun, sing to rest work too.

Just search for the username Zig beside the video description. He might have put Elthon as well.

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I did nair to fair to rest and fair to fair to rest, all 3 of them registered a 3 hit combo in training and worked on my friend mashing dolphin slash with Marth, so I think it works.

The trick is to hit the opponent right before you cross them up with the fair and carry your momentum with them as they are in stun. You need to stay in the air or it will not work, no landing. It hard to do but Im happy to know its possible.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
i don't see how the drill kick to rest can work. If the drill kick finishes then the opponent is kicked away right

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
i don't see how the drill kick to rest can work. If the drill kick finishes then the opponent is kicked away right
If it doesn't you can I think. Unless it's like pikachu's Dair where a second hitbox occurs when it hits the ground, I think you can auto-cancel jigg's Dair into rest.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
With fair into rest, the best way I've gotten it to hit is from a weak fair underneath an airborne opponent. Depending on the percentage and floatiness, you then drift into them and rest or double jump after the fair and rest. You can also do it with a fast fall weak fair on an airborne opponent. So far I find to to be easiest on floaties.

These are true combos and they work on a large range of percents but I feel like the amount of time you get to verify your confirm and follow it up is pretty small. Not small enough to be impractical, but small enough where it's hard to acknowledge a proper confirm on net and local play.

A nice thing I noticed is that the percentages work out so that if they're at a percentage where the combo works on them, they're at a percentage where they will die to the rest.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
The time to verify isn't bad if you know you're going to hit your fair. You just need to think a move ahead, in example if they air dodge your uair, you can fair them during landing lag and you know its going to hit, follow up with rest or nair/dair. But yeah its easiest on floaties, especially taller ones like Samus/Rosalina/Marth etc

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
The time to verify isn't bad if you know you're going to hit your fair. You just need to think a move ahead, in example if they air dodge your uair, you can fair them during landing lag and you know its going to hit, follow up with rest or nair/dair. But yeah its easiest on floaties, especially taller ones like Samus/Rosalina/Marth etc
Fair the during the landing lag? How do you fair into rest on a grounded opponent? They always slide too far away, even with a weak fair.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
They wont slide on the ground after they reach a certain percent, around 35-40 on Marth. It only works if you follow them as you fair them with your good aerial mobility, don't land on the ground. Its tricky but works. Ill try to upload some videos of these things but my recording hardware is awful, a laptop camera.

Also do we have any jab resets in this game? I remember being able to reset people to force standups with other characters, maybe Puff can do it too? Weak nair to jab if they don't tech doesn't seem to work. I hope its not my timing being off rather than jab having too much knockback for whatever reason.

Technically we should have weak nair to jab x2 to rest. The game limits you to 3 jabs and then forces a getup.

Last edited:

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
I've connected Sing into rest, is kinda risky, you either sh to rest (depends on the character's sleep pose) or run towards him until you're sure it will work, also make sure the enemy's % is high (like up to 80%) or he will wake up sooner..
Other stuff i'm testing is jabs to pound when the opponent shields, break it and then rest.

Demoloque

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3302-9974
opponent on the ledge? roll into them and sleep I've gotten like 40+ rests like this, so ez
This so much.
I just stand there at the ledge. Most players will try the ledge attack, I just block and rest.
I know it's dumb but people fall for it. A lot.
I even managed to rest a guy 3 times in one match in FG.

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
We need to practice and experiment with stale moves and rage boosts to rests knockback to find combos into rest that will ko.

In example, Jiggs at 125%+ will be able to utilt to rest Sheik at around 15-25% around 30-35ish after the utilt and it will ko if they don't hold down (vector rest properly).

The percents aren't pinpoint accurate as I don't have the data right in front of me but you guys should get the idea. Mess with stale moves and rage! We have a good amount of potential with it.

Rest on Mario = 86 base launcher speed (ridiculous, and rage boosts it a ton)

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
Yeah it's a pretty bad idea. The only yolo rests should be on role reads. One time i was playing this really annoying rosalina player that kept abusing that stupid luma. My group of friends keep making this joke that he really plays luma rather than rosalina, har har. Anyway, this person NEVER rolls, but one time i pressured him while he was near the edge. I read his role toward center stage and i did the most yolo rest. I ended up winning the match because this guy was so demoralized. In fact, i popped off so hard he started to break down in tears. That was the first time I beat him and maybe even the only time. It was all because of that one role read.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Yeah it's a pretty bad idea. The only yolo rests should be on role reads. One time i was playing this really annoying rosalina player that kept abusing that stupid luma. My group of friends keep making this joke that he really plays luma rather than rosalina, har har. Anyway, this person NEVER rolls, but one time i pressured him while he was near the edge. I read his role toward center stage and i did the most yolo rest. I ended up winning the match because this guy was so demoralized. In fact, i popped off so hard he started to break down in tears. That was the first time I beat him and maybe even the only time. It was all because of that one role read.
*roll

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
i found a guaranteed against charizard today. very situational but if you block his flare blitz, dodge roll into him and rest. he's completely helpless when recovering from flare blitz. you have to do it immediately though or jiggly will slide back too far from the impact.

Top Bottom