• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ground-Cancelled Aerial Raptor Boost

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
The Ground-Cancelled Aerial Raptor Boost (or G-CARB, as I call it) is when Falcon uses the aerial Raptor Boost directly above the ground so that his hitbox does come out, but he does not experience the "jump" after contact and instead lands on the ground right away.

I emphasize that his hitbox does come out, since I'm sure many people will assume with this is the mockwaveland at first.

Anyway, I've been using this tech for a long time, and I figured I would come onto the Falcon boards to see if there was anything special it could be used for that I hadn't thought of. I was decently surprised when I couldn't find anything about it in any of the stickies. I'm sure that I'm not the first to do this, but I figured someone should at least write it down so it's there.

The G-CARB can only be done on landing, and as far as I can tell cannot be done as Falcon is rising.

To perform the G-CARB:

1- Shorthop
2- The moment before Falcon lands, Side-B

If done correctly, Falcon's foot should pass through the stage during his SideB startup, just as it does with the mock waveland.

Video here.

The timing is very similar to Falco's Silent Laser tech, which may be why I found it so easy to perform, but once you get the hang of it it's fairly useful as a surprise attack and in adding an extra option for recovering.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
yeah nothing really special about it. its a good surprise move. if shielded, you will bounce off the shield. if its dodged, you will probably punished. you cant really do anything right after you hit your opponet, its very laggy. its safe as longg as you hit your opponet though

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
yeah nothing really special about it. its a good surprise move. if shielded, you will bounce off the shield. if its dodged, you will probably punished. you cant really do anything right after you hit your opponet, its very laggy. its safe as longg as you hit your opponet though
Nothing special happens when it's shielded. Falcon lands immediately just as if he had hit. No bounce.

But yes, I've only ever legitimately used it in a match as a one-shot recovery. Just something else for your opponent to think about.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
No this is so low to the ground that the swinging animation makes Falcon land, so you don't bounce.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Correct me if I'm wrong but even this way raptor boost still has horrendous ending lag, plus compared to its non cancelled version you cannot "DI" away once you hit the opponent.

A good mindgamez move to screw with your opponent's patterns, but I think that's all.

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
this move can be made much more effective if instead of shorthopping to rb'ing, you just boost immediatley after leaving the ground, ending lag is much lower and you slide quite a bit, im going to try some research on using this (chaining it with a move or two)

-try sliding down your thumb from the x button and running, or press it really fast... your choice

Mit

Smash Ace
this move can be made much more effective if instead of shorthopping to rb'ing, you just boost immediatley after leaving the ground, ending lag is much lower and you slide quite a bit, im going to try some research on using this (chaining it with a move or two)

-try sliding down your thumb from the x button and running, or press it really fast... your choice
Watch the video, this is very different from immediately raptor boosting after leaving the ground. If you do that, you'll hit your opponent and pop up into the air. If you do what the topic creator is talking about (watch his video) you land instantly after hitting your opponent.

I didn't know about this, we'll have to see if it can be put to good use.

Marshie

Smash Apprentice
Watch the video, this is very different from immediately raptor boosting after leaving the ground. If you do that, you'll hit your opponent and pop up into the air. If you do what the topic creator is talking about (watch his video) you land instantly after hitting your opponent.

I didn't know about this, we'll have to see if it can be put to good use.
Oh, right... (dang just when I thought i had contributed to this forum)

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I didn't notice the video when you first put this up. You say use it to help recover, but I've done low Raptor Boosts where the fist comes out and everything looks the same, BUT NO HITBOX COMES OUT. In other words, you go through all the same animations as yours, but they just lol and FSmash you. Because of my experiences I really don't think it should be attempted in recovery, since it's probably a slight timing thing.

Top Bottom