• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's True Combos

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really noticed this but I can see your point.

The most common combo I use at early %s is usually N-Air -> F-Smash for a solid 25%.
That works at certain percents, but it gets power shielded if you did in the wrong situation I've found. When I'm not sure if that will work, I just opt for the Nair -> jab combo.

Utilt -> Usmash is a pretty awesome combo at low%. You can do it out of an Uthrow at low% if the opponent air dodges. Decent mix up since Uthrow -> Uair isn't guaranteed at that point but does cover everything but air dodging.

I've been finding Dtilt -> Fair to be one the more consistent and easy to land kill confirms. It's been more reliable than Dtilt -> Usmash by quite a bit (though they work at different % so it's not like they're competing options).

Not sure what I would call a BnB combo for Greninja that isn't already widely used otherwise.

Coffee™

I need it....
I haven't really noticed this but I can see your point.

The most common combo I use at early %s is usually N-Air -> F-Smash for a solid 25%.
Just as an example. After Dtilt most Greninja players tend to go for grab or Fair when Dash Attack or RAR Bair is generally the optimal move at early percents. Uthrow to Bair is another one I don't see used very often.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
After Dtilt I actually find you can get a dash grab at low % on anything but floaties. Yoshi and Mario might be able to beat it too with their nair, in which case RAR bair would be best.

A string I really like is soft nair -> d tilt -> dash grab -> upthrow -> up air, works til about 30 and is 27% without pummels. Without the nair you can get d-tilt -> dash grab til about 50%, which does 21%.

But if you're confident in the FS combo, I wouldn't waste the landed nair on it. Seeing as the bnb nair -> fs -> dair reset -> falling nair -> up smash does 44% and works until 40-45 on most characters

I like u throw to bair but the time it takes to get the bair out the opponent usually has time to dodge, up air is usually optimal unless your opponent DIs forever away at higher %s.

Another I don't see very often is u-tilt -> bair -> bair, you can very often get 2 and it's a lot of damage. Works til about 30 and does 21%. You can get just one bair for a long time, pretty much up until up air becomes optimal for the KO (109% on SV)

All of my testing done on Diddy Kong, so it moves around a little by weight and fall speed.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
normally i try to hit with three moves in early percentages to start strings

one of my most commonly used out of a grab is down throw -> forward smash at mid percents (works on most of the cast except for floaties and fast fallers, although i still need to test out fast fallers)

nair -> jab1 -> jab2 -> down tilt -> dash grab -> up throw -> uair racks up some good early damage for me.

and now, I've been finding that instead of down tilt, we can use f-tilt -> dash attack -> Fair and it can work just as well.

i wanted to ask, what kind of strings / good combos can we get off of air dodge reads? got curious after i saw ZeRo get that air dodge read that won him EVO

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Air dodge reads are probably one of Greninja's strongest assets

I've made a living off of up throw -> one jump -> wait for dodge -> second jump up air lol, but you can pretty much do that with any aerial. Shadow sneak would be a fantastic mixup too, it's really hard to see coming and most people want to land as fast as possible, making the time it takes to come out pretty suitable for punishing fast fall air dodges.

Not to mention empty hop into just wait on the ground for a dodge -> up smash. Easy KOs.

D

Deleted member

Since we're on the topic of reads, has anybody else benefitted from Dthrow->Fair at KO percents reading a jump? I've gotten it a couple of times, but I don't know if its that reliable. Uthrow->Shadow Sneak is also pretty good on an air dodge read if you do it right.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Since we're on the topic of reads, has anybody else benefitted from Dthrow->Fair at KO percents reading a jump? I've gotten it a couple of times, but I don't know if its that reliable. Uthrow->Shadow Sneak is also pretty good on an air dodge read if you do it right.
D-Throw -> F-Air works with airdodging too.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
i was actually wondering if dair was useful for a read, I've gotten neutral air after an air dodge read from throw but theres not much i can do about it im wondering though, is it possible in high percentages to do any throw, -> air dodge read -> fair?

Last edited:

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
I've been trying out down throw to fair for the kill since mentioned here, seems to work better when facing off stage and when using platforms

Coffee™

I need it....
Dthrow to RAR Bair is a legit setup at mid-high to high percents. The timing for it is pretty strict but it forces either an airdodge or jump, both of which can be followed up on if you get the read.

Lemameo

Smash Rookie
a combo I have done quite a bit recently is..
shadowsneak (up) ->dair->Hit the Toy or log-> bair(2) and if youre lucky dair if they DI toward you

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Any tips for landing the footstool combos after the nair? Do i have to nair really close to their body? Do i dash before the jump?

Last edited:

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
kinda Doubt it working and or becoming useful but yall can if use dthrow then dtilt, yall can go for another grab only works on mid and hevyweights, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzt0-J9JvLA
didnt know where to put it in combo thread or patch changes thread

Coffee™

I need it....
@ MartinAW4 MartinAW4 I was dissecting a certain frog :4greninja: in my lab today testing out perfect pivots and found a combo that isn't listed. If you perfect pivot so you are behind your opponent and do a Dtilt at the same time, you actually get a backwards hitbox that true combos into Bair! This is a kill confirm and a combo, although extremely situational since you have to be right in front of the opponent to perfect pivot behind them. Although this does cross up shields and you could try to catch landings with it. The percent values that this works on Shiek are 40%-270% and it deals 16% damage for a long time until you can only get the second+third or third hits, but at those percents it kills so whatever.
I wanted to add to this after spending some time in the lab with PP Dtilt.

The back hitbox can combo into Usmash at kill percents (Pikachu dies at like 80%) and footstool at lower ones, so there are quite a bit of worthwhile followups/strings/combos with this option.

It is pretty hard to land it in neutral but I'd imagine this would become easier with practice. The best setup I've found for it at the moment is as an option after uair spiking which isn't to hard, but I wanna play around with this a bit more.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Imagine all the strings you could do if Bair was buffed with decreased end lag for the next patch...
Why is this thread not stickied?

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
I would just pick up a combo from the front page, but it seems really out of date. Are there any super hard but rewarding combos I can practice with greninja?

Partial_Credit

Smash Rookie
I’m unaware of any possible list of greninja’s footstool combos, I do not remember seeing in any thread here or in the true combo thread. But I’ve been thinking about how it would probably be very difficult because of all the combinations of follow ups, so I came up with an idea.

I think we should call it combo trees, I haven’t seen this idea used anywhere else but essentially just one fs setup where the possible follow ups become branches. For example nair fs would be setup and two possible branches would fast fall up tilit and another would shuriken stall nair, and of course both of these options would have more branches of themselves. We would have to organize them more though, probably by different colorings for difficulty, weight, true combo (or something like if they DI right then do option x.) I personally am now pretty familiar with greninja footstool combo’s but because there are so many I would certainly need help.

I remember first seeing this kind of stuff and being completely lost. Not only would this help out the up and coming greninja main but also the experienced ones to know all the possible options in a given situation. I myself am not too experienced all with these combo’s nor am I familiar at all to smash boards formatting so hopefully some of you could help me out here!
I've definitely been looking for a good way to visualize available combos and mix-ups, so I'm all for this. Hopefully they don't get ridiculously complicated after factoring in percent dependencies and fall speed.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Any true combos out of down throw? Or is everything read based?

Steve.Stone

Smash Cadet
I can do down throw to down tilt to either f Smash or forward throw then after forward throw you can do dash attack then fair. I'm pretty sure this o ly works at zero percent but it's a good combo and gets good damage at the beginning of a game.

Last edited:

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
You can also DThrow into Fair at higher %'s that can potentially KO. It's around 105% for floaties and around 125% for fast-fallers.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
D-throw -> Fair is good and sets up a 50/50. If you read an air dodge you can delay it by a few frames and it will connect. If you read a jump, an immediate buffered fair out of d-throw will trap it. It's a really good setup by the ledge, as people will be more tempted to air dodge instead of burn their jump offstage.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
fthrow to dash attack is not a true combo; but it is a good setup

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
F throw is kind of under-utilized I feel, but at the same time why use it when you can set up traps with up throw and down throw?

F throw does set up a tech scenario at mid to high %. If you read it, you can get dash attack -> fair or something like that but at kill % it is unlikely the fair will be true. You can also get another grab for more damage, which is not a bad strategy when you need to rack up % but at the same time up throw sets up for better juggles and more guaranteed hits.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Forward throw to water shuriken is the only real viable setup I think there is. Everything else is way too telegraphed.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
With Perfect pivots, Dtilt true combos into Utilt, so I was thinking Nair-Dtilt-PP Utilt-Usmash-Uair. can anyone confirm this? im pretty sure it can be true. You could also probably add a jab 1 2 in there.

Zetox

Smash Cadet
With Perfect pivots, Dtilt true combos into Utilt, so I was thinking Nair-Dtilt-PP Utilt-Usmash-Uair. can anyone confirm this? im pretty sure it can be true. You could also probably add a jab 1 2 in there.
I keep doing the PP Uptilt into an Upsmash but it sends them towards the left most of the time. I must be off on the perfect pivot because it won't show up as a true combo either so far.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Here are a couple things I've done since the 1.1.5 patch. I don't know if these were possible before, but here they are:
Falling forward air>Footstool(best on floaties at low percents, worked for me on some heavies too).
Falling forward air> short hop forward air
Falling Neutral air(frame canceling this will help a lot)>SHFF back air>Up smash/forward air
SHFF back airX3

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Here are a couple things I've done since the 1.1.5 patch. I don't know if these were possible before, but here they are:
Falling forward air>Footstool(best on floaties at low percents, worked for me on some heavies too).
Falling forward air> short hop forward air
Falling Neutral air(frame canceling this will help a lot)>SHFF back air>Up smash/forward air
SHFF back airX3
The last one sounds interesting. Does that true combo?

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
This doesn't involve the new patch but I've been labbing FCWS low %s combos and I ended up with:
FCWS --> SHFF Nair --> Perfect Pivot Utilt --> Uair spike --> Uair spike combo game with whatever you're comfortable.

The window to true combo SHFF Nair into PP Utilt is crazy small but it's there, I've gotten that whole string to true combo in training mode and at my last weekly I got it twice, once I ****ed up the second Uair spike cause I'm a scrub and then I got the full thing the second time. I'm probably gonna start labbing %s for FCWS into Uair spike.

Top Bottom