• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do kind of wonder if Greninja's attack against the male Wii Fit Trainer is its side special, while Substitute is the down special. I also wonder if Greninja will take some damage when using the Substitute, seeing as in the RPGs, Pokemon have to sacrifice some of their HP to make the Substitute.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I do kind of wonder if Greninja's attack against the male Wii Fit Trainer is its side special, while Substitute is the down special. I also wonder if Greninja will take some damage when using the Substitute, seeing as in the RPGs, Pokemon have to sacrifice some of their HP to make the Substitute.
Hard to answer the latter, but the former is easy enough to tell. When hitting him when he uses substitute, the hit will actually show it hit that area because of the little hit bubble, where once that happens Greninja disappears and the Sub comes out. With the other move (fairly sure side B but the up B arguement can't be disproven) he disappears before Sun Salutation hits him, and theres also a little after effect that's a blue blur that signifies he was there and now isn't.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
At least one of his moves should be Toxic.

You know, since ninjas in the Pokemon world usually teach that move to their Pokemons. Plus, him being a frog and all that.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I just checked Bulbapedia for the moves Greninja can use, and I'm almost certain that his teleport move is smokescreen

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
I noticed something that nobody has seemed to bring up yet. In the gameplay trailer of Greninja, he uses a fully charged water shuriken on bowser. It appears to lock him down applying multiple hits. Yet, at the very end of the attack, I noticed that bowers didnt get reset into his standing animation. Instead, it looked like he was launched downward and slammed into the ground. I believe that maybe the last hit of water shuriken is a meteor smash. I also believe this because the last hit shows a downward strike animation on bowser. The only other reason for bowser being sent to the ground is because the Water Shuriken slightly lifts up a player from the ground and bowser's heavy weight caused him to fall down, but even at that height i feel like he should have landed normally.

Thoughts?
nice point and also the follow up points made by others in the thread. Giving a shout out to the gif creators and those who inserted still pics for illustrations!

I just got something crazy in my head...imagine throwing a fully charged shuriken, throw it, it connects and starts moving the opponent backwards. Now this possibly turns into a trap. Greninja charges another shuriken, not fully but half way, teleports then behind opponent and releasing that shuriken into the opponent who is about to get the last hit or is about to hit the ground. Then charges another, teleport in front of opponent and release. It could if the timing is right turn into a nice little water trap. Taking down health until you teleport for the last time and do a smash attack.

Neo Zero

nice point and also the follow up points made by others in the thread. Giving a shout out to the gif creators and those who inserted still pics for illustrations!

I just got something crazy in my head...imagine throwing a fully charged shuriken, throw it, it connects and starts moving the opponent backwards. Now this possibly turns into a trap. Greninja charges another shuriken, not fully but half way, teleports then behind opponent and releasing that shuriken into the opponent who is about to get the last hit or is about to hit the ground. Then charges another, teleport in front of opponent and release. It could if the timing is right turn into a nice little water trap. Taking down health until you teleport for the last time and do a smash attack.
Instant Transmission Kamehameha!

...sorry, my mind drifted to that. Something tells me you wouldn't be able to teleport and use his Shuriken quickly together like this though. At

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I just got a REALLY crazy idea. So, since Greninja seems to have an up special like Pikachu's, maybe he could do an up special lock like Pikachu's? That would assume Greninja can cancel it too, but it would be really cool or lame, depending on how you think about it.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
If Greninja could cancel it, full charged Water Shuriken could probably be followed up by some pretty interesting stuff given Greninja's air speed. I'm going the route and saying he probably won't be able to, but with Greninja's speed, Water Shuriken is still going to put the opponent in a terrible situation.

I'm really hoping his side-B is going to be like MK's where you don't have to end it with an attack since that'll give Greninja insane mobility (LOOK HOW FAST/FAR IT GOES IN THE TRAILER). Heck, even if you have to attack, it looks insane. Assuming this isn't a counter (really, a character shouldn't have two counters anyway), between Smokescreen and his overall mobility, Greninja is not gonna have to worry about campy characters as much.

Btw, completely unrelated, but Sun Salutation sounds like Stunfisk.

Proof
Stunfisk
Sun Salutation

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Holy crap.

So much potential depth just dropped.

PotD below:

Sakurai states: The side special attack Shadow Sneak is a move that makes Greninja suddenly disappear and ambush opponents. If you press and hold the button, Greninja will move a greater distance. Another unique feature is you can move Greninja around freely while charging up.

Damn. The plot thickens. That move sounds amazing!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So basically:
(B) Water Shuriken
(Side B) Shadow Sneak
(Up B) Hydro Pump?
(Down B) Substitute
(Final Smash) Ragnarok Night Slash

Good stuff

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Just read the PotD

I thought it'd be just another teleport, but DANG IT SON, Greninja is going the distance.
So happy!

(Up B is probably Aqua Jet)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Just read the PotD

I thought it'd be just another teleport, but DANG IT SON, Greninja is going the distance.
So happy!

(Up B is probably Aqua Jet)
It cannot normally learn Aqua Jet, and it is shooting water out of it's hands. It's probably Hydro Pump.

Neo Zero

Im on the hydro pump thought train myself.

Part of me wonders though, what are your attack options while its charging? I'm guessing B moves are out but what A wise you can use, if any. Plus Shadow Sneak is an attack only in Pokemon isn't it? Wonder if that means that kick will always trigger after the teleport

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Part of me wonders though, what are your attack options while its charging? I'm guessing B moves are out but what A wise you can use, if any. Plus Shadow Sneak is an attack only in Pokemon isn't it? Wonder if that means that kick will always trigger after the teleport
Yeah, seems like it would be tough to attack while charging it. In the image it looks like Greninja is looking back at Charizard after the move, so I'd say it's likely he always auto attacks.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
It cannot normally learn Aqua Jet, and it is shooting water out of it's hands. It's probably Hydro Pump.
Iirc basically every water Pokemon that use Hydro Pump generally shoot it out of their mouths as opposed to their hads. Despite the fact that Greninja doesn't learn Aqua Jet it could still make sense in the scenario. It's similar to Pikachu's Quick Attack (which makes sense because they're essentially the same move but different type in the games). Not to mention Pikachu doesn't learn Thunder Jolt in the games (heck the move doesn't even exist in the games) and hasn't been able to learn Skull Bash since Gen 1.

Alternatively it could be Water Pulse, as Froakie and Frogadier in the anime have been shown using Water Pulse from their hands. I'll guess we'll see when it's confirmed.

On a slightly different note Greninja's Shadow Sneak seems interesting. I'm curious as to whether or not you can aim it slightly up or down or if it's just restricted to horizontal teleports.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little confused by Sakurai's comment. Is he saying that Shadow Sneak can be charged for greater distance covered, but that you can move around at the same time? Also, we're assuming that Greninja can attack during this period, but perhaps he can only move/jump. That said, I was just talking about how Greninja's side-b looked incredible, and although it seems confirmed that the kick happens automatically (considering Sakurai said Greninja will disappear and ambush opponents, implying both are constants with the move), this still gives Greninja really nice mobility options.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It seems that Greninja's Shadow Sneak side special is not quite as efficient as previously thought if you have to charge up the distance that Greninja will travel. Sneaky, but overrated if opponents keep a close eye on Greninja's actions.

Neo Zero

Given Greninja's other mobility tools and the fact his crawl is like crouching Kirby short, I can't see this being used much. Its an option, and it'll be nice if you can attack during the charge, but the situations to use it seem few and far between.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I'm a little confused by Sakurai's comment. Is he saying that Shadow Sneak can be charged for greater distance covered, but that you can move around at the same time? Also, we're assuming that Greninja can attack during this period, but perhaps he can only move/jump. That said, I was just talking about how Greninja's side-b looked incredible, and although it seems confirmed that the kick happens automatically (considering Sakurai said Greninja will disappear and ambush opponents, implying both are constants with the move), this still gives Greninja really nice mobility options.
In my mind this makes it sound like MetaKnight's Dimension Cape attack: Greninja can move freely (likely in any direction,) and releasing the button causes him to reappear and unleash the attack. It could just have been a messy translation.
Look at the replay where Greninja uses it to attack the male WFT (you can tell it's not substitute because the doll doesn't appear.) Greninja reappears nearly INSTANTLY, long before Sun Salutation's endlag finishes. This appears to be the Dimension Cape MetaKnight players wanted back in Brawl.
I'm more concerned that Substitute will take too long for the attack to follow through, like Lucario's Double Team in Brawl.

Last edited:

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
It seems that Greninja's Shadow Sneak side special is not quite as efficient as previously thought if you have to charge up the distance that Greninja will travel. Sneaky, but overrated if opponents keep a close eye on Greninja's actions.
To me...that "charging up" sounds more like charging the Shuriken. If the teleport does a move press, then hold to increase distance in which you reappear, you can't charge up. Unless this works as that you are pressing the distance button and you move select (without seeing yourself really in a quick move like that) to various positions on the stage. That seems more complicated for a gamer. It is easier for a gamer if they are charging the Shurikens and still able to move. I know in Brawl when playing as Lucario, you could not move, and had to be confined to a particular spot to charge, thus risking a possible attack by your opponent or opponents in team battle. If you can move and charge your projectile in this new game, that makes it easier for the player.

Last edited:

NinjaKnight

Smash Rookie
I was talking about the greninja release with a buddy and he brought an interesting idea to mind. What if Greninja's Recovery Differentiated itself from Pikachu's Quick Attack by Having to press the control stick in the direction you want the water to shoot or the opposite direction you want Greninja to move. Seems a little counter intuitive at first thought, but then again, So was Ness' or Lucas' Recovery.
While interesting, I didn't think it to be too plausible until this was said as Sakurai's Miiverse Comment today:
Having read that, I'm not exactly sure what to think. What do you guys think about this idea? Or in your own opinions, what could make Greninja's playstyle "sophisticated" or require some "Getting used to"?

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So, who's for helping me name is his moves? Sort of similar to those topics Asia Catdog Blue has been posting that have move names from the Melee guide. Obviously, the official names for his specials will come out soon (like today we learned his Side Special is Shadow Sneak) so we should name his basic moves.

[collapse=My name ideas]
Gifs courtesy of PerfectHell4

Jab: Water Pulse (The launcher is reminiscent of Water Pulse, the combo section needs a name too, I suppose.)

Up Tilt: Lick (Obviously)

Side Smash: Water Wakizashi (A Wakizashi is a short Katana, and to me, it doesn't not look like a full katana. Plus, the alliteration is great.)

Up Smash: Twin Water Wakizashi

Down Aerial: Bounce (Seems like the obvious answer to me.)

Back Aerial (or whatever): Triple Kick (I know he doesn't learn this move, but whatever.)

Forward Aerial: Aerial Water Wakizashi

Grab/Pummel: Whirlpool (While it doesn't exactly look like whirlpool, it seems close. It's also the only trapping water move I know of.)

Up Throw: Fling (Seems like a reasonable enough name.)

Things that still need names:
- Whatever move this is (Also, resembles Water Pulse)
-Combo
-Side Tilt

[/collapse]

KERO

Smash Journeyman
On the off chance there was some translation error, I looked up the Japanese post, and... sooooo much kanji, what the hell Sakurai? XD From the little I can make out, the translation for Shadow Sneak is accurate. Interesting to note is that the charging aspect is listed as either a "feature" or "characteristic," not one that is unique or applies specifically to Greninja. Perhaps other characters will be able to move during charging moves? Of course, Japanese has tons of implied stuff, so if anyone else wants to take a look at it, here's the post: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqF39fVieg

The initial post just talking about Greninja being a new character was a ton easier to read, though. Interestingly, the wording used is "tricky" rather than "sophisticated."

Edit: Name for forward tilt should be Rolling Kick, even though Greninja doesn't learn it. I think Water Pulse would work better for Nair. Also, jab could be like Water Swipes (Water+Fury Swipes) or Fury Torrent (Idk, I'm not good with names)... Fury Splash?

Last edited:

NinjaKnight

Smash Rookie
The initial post just talking about Greninja being a new character was a ton easier to read, though. Interestingly, the wording used is "tricky" rather than "sophisticated."
Yes, "Tricky" does seem to be a more accurate adjective to describe what we have seen of greninja so far. I wonder why the NoA translator chose "Sophisticated."

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
well Greninja may require some good practice. All that speed and trying to connect moves will take some practice. Much like when learning the techs of Squirtle to make that one a fighter above and beyond what you normally comprehend on first analysis.

EDIT: And it takes some good play skill to use Sonic too. A fast character who lives or dies based on timing and placement. I think the Sonic player crowd will be Greninja's competitor in the speed department in the game.

I figure Greninja players have to watch out for:

Charizard (because he can beat Pikachu with power moves against Pika's speed)
Rosalina
Luigi
Sonic
Megaman
Peach (because she gets mad priority a lot of the times! )
EDIT #2: adding Pikachu to the list. (because Thunder will forever be a problem and that neutral air can strike as well and at high percents send you flying).

Just my impressions for now. Mario could be in that group but I guess I have to look more at that possibility.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
To me...that "charging up" sounds more like charging the Shuriken. If the teleport does a move press, then hold to increase distance in which you reappear, you can't charge up. Unless this works as that you are pressing the distance button and you move select (without seeing yourself really in a quick move like that) to various positions on the stage. That seems more complicated for a gamer. It is easier for a gamer if they are charging the Shurikens and still able to move. I know in Brawl when playing as Lucario, you could not move, and had to be confined to a particular spot to charge, thus risking a possible attack by your opponent or opponents in team battle. If you can move and charge your projectile in this new game, that makes it easier for the player.
This is exactly what went through my mind after I read Sakurai's post.
I think he could be talking about the Water Shuriken in that last sentence.
Still, by "charging up" he could also mean the time it takes for Greninja to reappear. I'm just a bit confused on which it could be.
I mean, being able to charge the Shuriken while moving around would be absolutely amazing. But if that's not the case, then I'm a bit concerned about the validity of Shadow Sneak in competitive play. Yes, in the trailer, Greninja did disappear and reappear almost instantly, but that time frame could possibly increase for longer distances, thus making the move a lot more readable.
I hope he meant the Shuriken.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
On the off chance there was some translation error, I looked up the Japanese post, and... sooooo much kanji, what the hell Sakurai? XD From the little I can make out, the translation for Shadow Sneak is accurate. Interesting to note is that the charging aspect is listed as either a "feature" or "characteristic," not one that is unique or applies specifically to Greninja. Perhaps other characters will be able to move during charging moves? Of course, Japanese has tons of implied stuff, so if anyone else wants to take a look at it, here's the post: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqF39fVieg

Edit: Name for forward tilt should be Rolling Kick, even though Greninja doesn't learn it. I think Water Pulse would work better for Nair. Also, jab could be like Water Swipes (Water+Fury Swipes) or Fury Torrent (Idk, I'm not good with names)... Fury Splash?
I followed your link, and this is the LITERAL Google translation: "The horizontal killer skill "shady out", the skill to mount a surprise attack and disappear suddenly. If you hold down the button, the moving distance is extended. Features while reservoir, is that it can operate freely."

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Haha, "horizontal killer skill shady out." Damn Google Translate too good.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, if nothing else, it makes it seem that Greninja won't be able to move vertically.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Well, "horizontal killer skill" should actually be translated as "side special move," as it is in the English post. I doubt Greninja will be moving vertically regardless since Shadow Sneak has always been shown with horizontal movement. Although, it's strange that they're calling this move Shadow Sneak given its descriptions: "The user extends its shadow and attacks the target from behind. This move always goes first." -X/Y/B2W2/BW

Greninja's move seems to bear little actual resemblance to the description, so who knows? Maybe it will allow vertical movement.

Last edited:

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
I made an analysis about this actually. I guessed that Shadow Sneak was what his teleport was called and I guessed right! Plus the Substitute Doll may act like Wario's bike in that it hangs around afterwards and can't be performed again until....broken :p
Check it out if you're interested.

Last edited:

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
I don't know about that "bike" example being applied to Greninja's substitute. Reason is that in Brawl, the bike if you hit it would shake and even damage. When Greninja dashed through it, it had no signs of an impact and just flopped down on the ground. If it was able to be interacted with, it would seem like there would have been some sort of movement when the kick went through it.

SuperSmashDrake

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashDrake
3DS FC
4811-7419-2384
I think Greninja will have the most moves from his game incorporated into his moveset. I think his specials will be along the lines of the following:
Neutral - Water Shuriken
Side - Shadow Sneak
Down - Substitute
Up - Aqua Jet
Final Smash - Night Slash

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Pic of Up B going straight up.
Are you sure that's not Shadow Sneak, his side B? The only special left other than whatever Substitute is would be the Surf/Waterfall/Aqua Jet move and there is no water here...I'm pretty sure that this is just Shadow Sneak going vertically.

Neo Zero

Are you sure that's not Shadow Sneak, his side B? The only special left other than whatever Substitute is would be the Surf/Waterfall/Aqua Jet move and there is no water here...I'm pretty sure that this is just Shadow Sneak going vertically.
That blue stuff right underneath his hand.

Let alone the animation is the exact same as the Up B shots we've seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom