• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
Well, we dont actually know yet what he uses to grab, we only have the moment when he is actually holding them. It's possible he'll pull them in with the tongue first.

No way that idle is a taunt, it's the "bored" animation, which is what plays when a character has stood still for a certain amount of time, and is part of idle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Edit: I was COMPLETELY wrong, haha. Just watched the trailer again... Allow me to put in my revised input.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
It's entirely possible that the teleportation and substitute are examples of custom move possibilities for his down special

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I don't think that substitute is a counter. I see it more like this:
-Press down-b to enter substitute form. You can stay in this form for a set amount of time (Perhaps around three seconds), having invincibility.
-Press any button while in substitute form to get rid of the substitute and attack in the direction you've been facing with a kick.

Of course, it could still be a counter move. If it were, then it might be unique in that it could last longer. Perhaps the activation time might last a whole second or so.

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, how that move works is complete speculation at this point. We do know however that that has got to be a down special, and we have two different visuals on it in action.

@ Thane of Blue Flames Thane of Blue Flames I can't see that as a Bair. If you look at the lead in (dair gif) or at the way his cloth is behind him, you can tell that he is facing forward. I could be wrong, but it certainly looks like a forward facing aerial to me.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Not bad, but no way the kicks are his Nair. They're rapid strikes behind him, its his Bair. I'm also fairly sure his Down B is just substitue while his Side B is that teleport, as they had drastically different functions.

Edit: I believe in one of the press kit images it actually shows Greninja whiffing his grab, so its likely he grabs them with the whirlpool

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno, every time I look at it I'm fully convinced its his Nair, because his body and face are facing his target, the same direction as his legs.

I feel like the bair is something else

Neo Zero

I dunno, every time I look at it I'm fully convinced its his Nair, because his body and face are facing his target, the same direction as his legs.

I feel like the bair is something else
Look at the Dair and "Nair" gifs together. He lands on Yoshi and springs up, still facing right. As he floats back he turns only his head as he begins kicking behind him. Also as he lands his head is to the right while his legs are behind him to the left.

Also worth noting is that dive we see him has the same stance as both after he exits Aqua Water Gun Fall Surf Jet and after he stops flipping from his Dair, right before he turns his head for the Bair

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've been staring at it for several minutes, and I'm absolutely sure he's facing left when he lands. It's a combo that reminds me very much of Snake's Nair. There's also not alot of directional momentum to it. Just REALLY making me think Nair.

Daz Larc

Smash Rookie
look closely at the teleport and substitute. Mario's reflected shuriken hit him but the sun sphere did not. its either one of those custom moves or the same move that acts differently depending on if your hit or not. I came to this conclusion when you look at both of them they have the exact same disappear smoke and little shine of light in the smoke its just one ends up with a substitute doll and him kicking forward while the other one ends with him behind WFT kicking her.

Neo Zero

A Ninja uses deception. What's more deceptive then the same cloud of smoke preceding two different moves. Do I attack behind me? Did he just substitue? Where is he?!

Things like that are why I'm loving this character

Neo Zero

Aqua Jet coats the user in water though, this has him firing it from his hands to propel himself up. I'm thinking Surf in the vein of "riding the water" or Water Gun/Hydro Pump in the vein of "using water to push yourself"

Also on the note of the "Nair" watch the video where its clearer. His tongue and head are way over to the right side while his legs are stretched behind him. Ill try and screen cap it later when I'm home

Landing lag

Standing up, facing right, the opposite direction from his attack. It's Bair. If you want a Nair candidate though

looks different from everything we've seen, and it looks like something that follows the general Nair philosophy of a 360 degree around the body hitbox

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I actually mistook that as a taunt at first (since he could've hopped up and taunted like P:M Mewtwo given how the ground is right under them in the picture), but it does make a lot more sense for that to actually be his Nair.

moltenrokk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moltenrokk
I noticed something that nobody has seemed to bring up yet. In the gameplay trailer of Greninja, he uses a fully charged water shuriken on bowser. It appears to lock him down applying multiple hits. Yet, at the very end of the attack, I noticed that bowers didnt get reset into his standing animation. Instead, it looked like he was launched downward and slammed into the ground. I believe that maybe the last hit of water shuriken is a meteor smash. I also believe this because the last hit shows a downward strike animation on bowser. The only other reason for bowser being sent to the ground is because the Water Shuriken slightly lifts up a player from the ground and bowser's heavy weight caused him to fall down, but even at that height i feel like he should have landed normally.

Thoughts?

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something that nobody has seemed to bring up yet. In the gameplay trailer of Greninja, he uses a fully charged water shuriken on bowser. It appears to lock him down applying multiple hits. Yet, at the very end of the attack, I noticed that bowers didnt get reset into his standing animation. Instead, it looked like he was launched downward and slammed into the ground. I believe that maybe the last hit of water shuriken is a meteor smash. I also believe this because the last hit shows a downward strike animation on bowser. The only other reason for bowser being sent to the ground is because the Water Shuriken slightly lifts up a player from the ground and bowser's heavy weight caused him to fall down, but even at that height i feel like he should have landed normally.

Thoughts?
This honestly caught my interest, because I simply thought that the Shuriken had pushed Bowser into the rope, he bounced off, and fell down to the ground, but upon further review of the video, a couple of things became clear: had he been pushed into the rope, bounced off of it, and landed, he would have landed on his stomach and not his back, and Bowser is clearly in the air during the last hit:

As we can see, the little animation clearly shows that Bowser is meant to be going downward, and even more convincing, is that Bowser's left foot appears to be clipping through the stage, which is something that would presumably only happen (on a flat stage at least) during a character's aerial hitstun animation (since logically, on the ground, the character would have animation intended to not clearly clip through the stage).

Good catch, Moltenrokk! This could potentially give Greninja good tech chase stuff as well as a really good edgeguard depending on how hard it is to DI it.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Oh, that would be so amazing if the last hit were a meteor smash. It would be such a glorious edge guard if it were hard to DI out of, as Kero said!
A projectile meteor smash is a very, very interesting concept.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Loving how far those arms stretch XD Looks like he's gonna have an amazing pivot grab (unless that is it; still looks amazing regardless).

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yo, Water Shuriken having a Meteor at the end seems cool, but remember:

It is a multi-hit attack, which means that it can be SDI'd out of. Anyone competent has 2 ways of getting out of it: SDI and Meteor Cancels.

I also have a feeling that if WS is in fact a meteor, it is only a meteor when fully charged.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Water Shuriken putting Bowser into that position was really interesting. It did appear to meteor smash.

Seems fantastic for tech chases, though SDI-able. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a meteor smash only on grounded opponents, similar to Jigglypuff's down-air and Samus's up-tilt.

Something else that could be possible is that Bowser was stage spiked by the ropes. I'm sure the Direct shows some footage of the ropes acting like solid walls.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Given the move in question, I imagine it has 5 different charge levels (the Pokemon move hits 2-5 times, and since we've seen a single hitting shot of it, its fair to guess it'll hit between there). I also like the hits seem to not deterioate with distance, I actually wanna say its one of the only, if not the only multi hitting long range move (Ice Block I guess....but eh)

Personally I think its a bounce and not a meteor smash.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I compiled this before seeing this thread (on another forum), so here you guys go;

Greninja:
Idle:

Crawl:

Taunt:

Double Jump and Alternate Taunt:

Roll Dodge:

Jab:

Side Tilt:

Up Tilt:

Down Tilt:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Grab/Hold/Pummel:

Up Throw:

Nair:

Fair:

Dair:

Neutral B: - Water Shuriken - Throws a water shuriken projectile, chargeable. As charge time increases, the projectile gets more multihits, starting at 2 hits and increasing up to 5 hits.

Side B: Unknown

Down B: - Smokescreen Counter - disappear in a puff of smoke, if hit during this (including projectiles, you will counter. You can choose between teleporting behind the attacker, or being replaced by a substitute doll which after a moment you appear again in place of and do an attack.

Up B: - Waterfall Quick Attack - A combination of Squirtle's SSBB Up special and Pikachu's Up special

Final Smash:

All gifs and conclusions made by me. Credit for everything in this post goes to myself.

I went through the entire Greninja reveal frame by frame, believe me there is absolutely nothing missing from this.
Down B is Substitute, and the Up B is totally Aqua Jet.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Okay, after taking a close look at these gifs, I've gotten more ideas on how these things might work.

---
B: Water Shuriken
A charge projectile. Nothing new to report.

^B: Smokescreen
(Yes, upB.) A teleport move with a built-in attack like Meta Knight's.

>B: AquaWater JetGun
Sticking to my guns and saying this is sideB. It's a bit premature to assume that this move can be used to move at a primarily upward angle. Based on the gif, I'd say that Greninja fires water from his palm in one of 2-6 mostly horizontal directions based on your input, propelling him in the opposite direction. After the first jet, he can fire himself in a larger variety of directions, or perhaps at an equally limited set of perpendicular-ish angles.

...hopefully that made sense.

vB: Substitute
Still just a counter move. My logic for thinking this is seperate from Smokescreen is that Greninja takes an entirely different pose during the startup of these two moves, as seen in the gifs.
---

So... any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Looks like he uses a bubble to grab.
Jesus christ, those arms!
Okay.

The possibility of greninja having a good grab range coupled with his speed pleases me. To whoever saw this in trailer, does it look as though it comes out and recovers similarly to the average 6 frame grab? Or is it gonna be like, ivysaur's or something?

Btw, even if the meteor of water shuriken can be SDI'd out of, it still looks like a good lock down move. Greninja seems to recover quick enough to gain ground on the opponent if they get caught by it, possibly leading up to some neat set ups, or atleast some kinda frame advantage. Would be pretty neat if you could get a dash attack, or a run up grab offa hit confirming it. OH! probably a tech chase off of the ground slam portion of it too if it's difficult to SDI or they happen to get caught by it.

Just imagine if this has the push back power of the piplup pokeball in smash?

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Jesus christ, those arms!
Okay.

The possibility of greninja having a good grab range coupled with his speed pleases me. To whoever saw this in trailer, does it look as though it comes out and recovers similarly to the average 6 frame grab? Or is it gonna be like, ivysaur's or something?

Btw, even if the meteor of water shuriken can be SDI'd out of, it still looks like a good lock down move. Greninja seems to recover quick enough to gain ground on the opponent if they get caught by it, possibly leading up to some neat set ups, or atleast some kinda frame advantage. Would be pretty neat if you could get a dash attack, or a run up grab offa hit confirming it. OH! probably a tech chase off of the ground slam portion of it too if it's difficult to SDI or they happen to get caught by it.

Just imagine if this has the push back power of the piplup pokeball in smash?
The trailer only showed the grab after it had already connected. so unfortunately we don't know how fast it is.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I compiled this before seeing this thread (on another forum), so here you guys go;

Greninja:
Idle:

Crawl:

Taunt:

Roll Dodge:

Jab:

Side Tilt:

Up Tilt:

Down Tilt:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Grab/Hold/Pummel:

Up Throw:

Nair:

Fair:

Dair:

Neutral B: - Water Shuriken - Throws a water shuriken projectile, chargeable. As charge time increases, the projectile gets more multihits, starting at 2 hits and increasing up to 5 hits.

Down B: - Smokescreen Counter - disappear in a puff of smoke, if hit during this (including projectiles, you will counter. You can choose between teleporting behind the attacker, or being replaced by a substitute doll which after a moment you appear again in place of and do an attack.

Up B: - Waterfall Quick Attack - A combination of Squirtle's SSBB Up special and Pikachu's Up special

Final Smash:

All gifs and conclusions made by me. Credit for everything in this post goes to myself.

I went through the entire Greninja reveal frame by frame, believe me there is absolutely nothing missing from this.
Looking at the complete clip of his Dair-combo on Yoshi, wouldn't you say that looks more like a Back-air? It looks like he's facing right as he starts the Dair, and turns into the Bair, at least to me.
And at the very end of his Aqua Jet recovery, it appears he enters that head-first fall animation before grabbing the ledge. However, at 1:51 in the reveal trailer, he's not flashing in that fall state. Could this mean his Up+B doesn't leave him in a state of free-fall?
Link: http://youtu.be/xEJBPMcbRkk?t=1m51s
EDIT: Blast, Greninja'd! That's what I get for replying before reading the rest of the comments.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Looking at the complete clip of his Dair-combo on Yoshi, wouldn't you say that looks more like a Back-air? It looks like he's facing right as he starts the Dair, and turns into the Bair, at least to me.
And at the very end of his Aqua Jet recovery, it appears he enters that head-first fall animation before grabbing the ledge. However, at 1:51 in the reveal trailer, he's not flashing in that fall state. Could this mean his Up+B doesn't leave him in a state of free-fall?
Link: http://youtu.be/xEJBPMcbRkk?t=1m51s
EDIT: Blast, Greninja'd! That's what I get for replying before reading the rest of the comments.
On the note of Aqua Water Gun Jet Fall Surf (just throw all the names at it : p ), he didn't fall long so the flash might not have been visible before he clung to the ledge. It does seems to be the falling animation in general though, as I mention it's also how he fell after his Dair before starting his Bair.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
On the note of Aqua Water Gun Jet Fall Surf (just throw all the names at it : p ), he didn't fall long so the flash might not have been visible before he clung to the ledge. It does seems to be the falling animation in general though, as I mention it's also how he fell after his Dair before starting his Bair.
Yes, I missed that the first time. Great eye, and a cookie to you sir!
Off topic, if I may be so bold, where did you get that avatar?

Neo Zero

Yes, I missed that the first time. Great eye, and a cookie to you sir!
Off topic, if I may be so bold, where did you get that avatar?
Haha, analyzing movesets is kind of my thing : p

I made it (well, half made) it off an image I found on a booru that was apparently a Capcom April Fools image or something.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Greninjas Side B needs to be a clone of Sheiks whip, But where he swings around and hits people with his tongue.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord

Greninja:
Idle:

Crawl:

Taunt:

Roll Dodge:

Jab:

Side Tilt:

Up Tilt:

Down Tilt:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Grab/Hold/Pummel:

Up Throw:

Nair:

Fair:

Dair:

Final Smash:

I think the neutral air is actually a back air and the smokescreen teleport is most likely a side B while his substitute counter is a down B

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been looking at the following animation, and it does have me wondering about something...

Greninja dodges the attack, and counterattacks the attacker from behind. However, how would this move operate when facing Rosalina and the Luma?

My thoughts were if the Luma is the one attacking Greninja, Greninja would attack it instead of Rosalina, which could lead Greninja into Rosalina's own trap.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Substitute is a counter-esque move, guys. When Mario reflected it back at him, did you notice how he made a stance and flashed white before he was struck? That didn't happen when he did the teleport/smokescreen on the WFT.

A Ninja uses deception. What's more deceptive then the same cloud of smoke preceding two different moves. Do I attack behind me? Did he just substitue? Where is he?!

Things like that are why I'm loving this character
I will heartily second this. Compared to Shiek who is largely about flow, Greninja is more about deception/mindgames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom