• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Post what we know about Greninja's Smash 4 moveset here.

Greninja has been shown to have, so far:

Substitute - A counter type move, possibly a Down-B
Water Shuriken - A chargeable(?) projectile, likely a Neutral-B
Water Katanas - Used in his Forward-Air and Up-Smash
Low Sweep - His Down-Tilt has a picture on his SSB4 page.
Aqua Jet - Up-Special, similar to Pikachu's. Looks to be a very good recovery.

Down Air - Appears to be a stomp in the same vein as WFT and Ganondorf (Melee/Brawl). Could be a meteor smash.

Back-air - Appear to be a series of rapid backward kicks.

Anything else?

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Post what we know about Greninja's Smash 4 moveset here.

Greninja has been shown to have, so far:

Substitute - A counter type move, possibly a Down-B
Water Shuriken - A chargeable(?) projectile, likely a Neutral-B
Water Katanas - Used in his Forward-Air and Up-Smash
Low Sweep - His Down-Tilt has a picture on his SSB4 page.

Anything else?
1:29, it looked like he had a vanish move. Possibly spot dodge? Maybe up-B?
1:33, Down-air had extend legs, followed by fair, possibly bair
1:37 Looked like an Up-throw-- gripped with water
1:42, Up-B? That's what I would guess. Aqua Jet? Probably similar to Pikachu's Quick Attack-- AMAZING RECOVERY
2:15-- Final Smash
source: http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/gekkouga.html

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think the Great Aether-esque move he does in the end is his Final Smash. Or maybe that is just a cool cutscene.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Maybe the disappearing move is like meta knight's down special. It would explain why Greninja can attack out of it, and it seems like it can go in whatever direction it chooses.

It might make sense for him to use his scarf/tongue for a tether grab. That's getting into speculation, though.
I'll quote this in the speculation thread then.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the disappearing move is like meta knight's down special. It would explain why Greninja can attack out of it, and it seems like it can go in whatever direction it chooses.
Awesome thought!
Makes Greninja a really strange combo of Sheik and Meta Knight, with Pikachu Recovery.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I believe his grab makes use of Whirlpool. Likely pummel would cause it to tear at his enemies. If I had to guess

Neutral B - Water Shuriken
Side B - Vanish (No idea what this would be in Pokemon terms, but appears to be that teleport move)
Down B - Substitute
Up B - Waterfall/Surf (Just guessing, but basically looks to function like Pika's Up B)

Also it seems we see his jab+jab ender>Down Air (that fast falling stomp)>Back Air (Three Back Kicks)>U Tilt>F Tilt>A taunt>Grab>Up throw>Forward Air>Up B>Side B>U Smash>Neutral B>Down B>D Tilt>F Smash (Either the kick is the F Smash or the Water Kunai Blade, which ever isnt is the F Tilt, so possibly replace F Tilt here)>F Smash (Night Slash?)

In order of appearance (note this is speculation, but the likely inputs imo). Also shown is that he can crawl.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I think

B - Water Shuriken
Side B - Smokescreen
Down B - Substitute
Up B - Aqua Jet
Final Smash - Night Slash

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Regarding Substitute, I'm hoping that more than a counter move it allows you to literally disappear and reappear at will. I get the impression it just looks like a counter due to the speed of Greninja's reappearance, and the fact that the speed of the game would probably merit reappearing quickly for best use of Greninja's speed.

L. Lawliet

Smash Rookie
as a poke fanatic, i can tell you that his down smash is substitute and the final smash is night slash

EDIT: ninja'd

Last edited:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I wonder will Greninja be able to use its Frobble, that Froakie and Frogadier use, I'm not sure since it kinda loses it around its neck once it evolves.

I love Substitute. It made me warm up to Greninja really quickly. Here's how I hope it works:

When you use Down B the substitute appears. He can stay in this state for a considerable amount of time. When struck he can pop back in and counter. It would be even better if the substitute can take multiple blows before forcing Greninja out. This would allow it to A) act like it does in the games and B) allow Greninja to use it as a way to escape stronger attacks and escape slower combos. This would really give the move some verity instead of just being another counter.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Let's see here... This is what I make of his moveset from the trailer.

Jab- rapid water blade strikes

Utilt- tongue slap
Ftilt- side kick, similar to samus's
Dtilt- sweep kick

Usmash- arcing slash with dual waterzashi
Fsmash- upward strike with reverse-grip waterzashi
Dsmash- unknown?

nair- unknown?
uair- unknown?
fair- horizontal waterzashi strike
bair- triple backward kick
dair- ninja stomp, may be stall-n-fall

B- Water Shuriken, chargeable? projectile
^B- a teleport (Feint Attack?)
>B- the leaping recovery from the video (Aqua Jet?)
vB- Substitute, counter?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume the main shtick with Greninja is to, like a true ninja, use deceptive and confusing tactics in order to leave the opponent constantly guessing, which is supported by the teleportation and Substitute.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Am I the only one seeing some Project M in Greninja's moveset? It looks like he has a teleport-then-act like PM Mewtwo and his down air that pops him away from the opponent so he can combo looks a lot like ZSS's PM down air.

Am I the only one seeing some Project M in Greninja's moveset? It looks like he has a teleport-then-act like PM Mewtwo and his down air that pops him away from the opponent so he can combo looks a lot like ZSS's PM down air.
He actually reminds me of Sly Cooper from Playstation All-Stars more then anything else.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Substitute is adorable. I love those things. Probably the most useful move in the games.

Greninja is so much cooler than Squirtle. I regret nothing.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like the flavor of Greninja, I just wonder what he offers that is new in terms of gameplay.

His specials do not seem to break any ground.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I like the flavor of Greninja, I just wonder what he offers that is new in terms of gameplay.

His specials do not seem to break any ground.
I feel like his playstyle is different enough and will make for a fast-paced, interesting character.

I honestly feel like it's a good thing Sakurai can add new characters that feel and look unique, but don't have to be super gimmicky or have odd meter mechanics, ala Rosie and Mac. (I'm perfectly happy with both of them. In fact Mac's mah boi. But still.)

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I think

B - Water Shuriken
Side B - Smokescreen
Down B - Substitute
Up B - Aqua Jet
Final Smash - Night Slash
I'm with Eagle. This looks like what the moves in Pokemon are most similar to, even if they function slightly different.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Gonna go ahead and add my own two cents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmC56ndgeg
First of all, Utilt looks gorgeous imo. Just look at not only how long this thing is but how low Greninja crouches during it:

Not to mention that what is seemingly ending lag may very well actually still have a hitbox out:

(1:33 for clip). Looks like an overall better Pika Utilt to me. Also, if there are combos in this game, it looks to be a perfect combo starter.

Next, I'm also loving how Water Shuriken looks. At 1:50, we get a good example of Greninja charging and releasing a full charged one as well as a smaller one immediately after. More importantly, we see a distinction made between both. The smaller one is (I think) slightly faster, but it has minimal knockback (as expected).
The large one, however, hits the opponent multiple times. While I'm sure this could be DI'd and whatnot, it looks like it'll do a really good job of pushing opponents back, especially since it's pretty fast itself.

The clip just before that (at 1:45) shows that Greninja's Usmash is very similar to Sheik, but it may have a surprising amount of ending lag (but likely more overall range). Hopefully it's just as strong.

At 1:52, we see Greninja doing some sort of diving motion, and I can only wonder what that is; it couldn't be a helpless state as it was shown when the Villager entered one, he flashes as characters did in the previous games.

Finally, at 1:55, I feel that's honestly a dash attack and not a Dtilt, given the end lag and momentum at the end, but it could be either.

On to the other moves in general. Fsmash looks like it comes out really fast (2:05) with a little ending lag. His Ftilt is obviously nothing to write home about. His Dair looks like it will function like Wario's Dair in P:M, coming out of it the moment it hits someone (probably supposed to be Bounce btw). Also, all that disappearing stuff looks cool, and his Up-B looks like a shorter version of Pika's, but it keeps the end momentum (1:42).

He has a pretty cool looking crawl and low crouch (2:02) as well as a nice, low what I can only assume to be his standing animation (2:09).
Lastly, his movement in general looks amazing. Fast ground and aerial speed with what appears to be really good jumps and some floatiness thrown in (not unlike Brawl Yoshi in that sense, but not quite as mobile if I had to guess).

Edit: Forgot to mention that it looks like the multi-hit part of his jab looks disjointed/a projectile, and it's very likely his Fair, Fsmash, and Usmash are disjointed (and maybe hopefully dat Utilt). Also, that roll looks really good as well, given how fast it is.

Also, here's a Gamexplain video, pointing out a couple of interesting things some of us have missed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDHZGnhSGc

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I only watched the video once but I thought his vanishing moves had a sound effect and visual effect that looked like psychic energy (unless he used a psychic attack out of it) and I don't remember smoke. I'll have to watch again.

Also, did anyone notice that Sakurai knows how to use Substitute?

Last edited:

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
I compiled this before seeing this thread (on another forum), so here you guys go;

Greninja:
Idle:

Crawl:

Taunt:

Double Jump and Alternate Taunt:

Roll Dodge:

Jab:

Side Tilt:

Up Tilt:

Down Tilt:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Grab/Hold/Pummel:

Up Throw:

Nair:

Fair:

Dair:

Neutral B: - Water Shuriken - Throws a water shuriken projectile, chargeable. As charge time increases, the projectile gets more multihits, starting at 2 hits and increasing up to 5 hits.

Side B: Unknown

Down B: - Smokescreen Counter - disappear in a puff of smoke, if hit during this (including projectiles, you will counter. You can choose between teleporting behind the attacker, or being replaced by a substitute doll which after a moment you appear again in place of and do an attack.

Up B: - Waterfall Quick Attack - A combination of Squirtle's SSBB Up special and Pikachu's Up special

Final Smash:

All gifs and conclusions made by me. Credit for everything in this post goes to myself.

I went through the entire Greninja reveal frame by frame, believe me there is absolutely nothing missing from this.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I was hoping for a tongue grab, honesty. But this water grab looks pretty cool, too.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I have to think the gif you posted for "idle" is actually a taunt. I'm pretty sure Lucario was doing one of his taunts from brawl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom