• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Congratulation for getting Gekkouga in the game. Absolutely did not see him coming, but he's certainly a good choice.

Now let's hope Mewtwo comes back at well!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mewtwo coming back will make people stop being so naive.

Greninja and Lucario being scapegoats is stupid.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
If Mewtwo fortunately returns, I'll still be using Greninja, of course; but I hope Mewtwo's smash banner will say something like "Mewtwo strikes back!" if he gets a trailer.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
In one of the Miiverse posts, Sakurai says that Greninja can move while charging, but with the description of Shadow Sneak, it seemed like you do not have to charge it, it just makes Greninja go farther depending on how long you hold it. As we see, Greninja has a projectile (his Water Shuriken), so when Sakurai says he can move while charging, does that mean he can mvoe while charging his shuriken, or am I reading too deep into what he said.

Morbi

Scavenger
Moving while charging would make Greninja ridiculous. I recently learned who/what Greninja is. So if Shiny Greninja is in, will you guys use that color?
I honestly use every pallet swap to ensure that the character doesn't feel stagnant or redundant. So I will most certainly use Shiny Greninja on occasion; however, despite the overt contradiction, I am more of a default color person.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I honestly wouldn't mind; it would probably remind me of Frieza though. That being said, the "white" costumes are usually some of the coolest. Especially on Pokemon Trainer.
White/Gold Meta Knight is awesome too. A white/albino Greninja would look pretty cool.
I will probably be using his default color scheme, but I will also use Shiny Greninja if it gets in and I hope that Greninja gets a green palette swap (and he probably will because of team colors).

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said in one of the pictures of the day, he says "Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls!". Will Greninja have a learning curve or maybe have a unique feature, because from the trailer, it seems like Greninja is just a fast character, you can't really tell if the person playing him is doing something specific for that character. What do you think Sakurai means by "Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls"?

SuperCosmicSmash

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said in one of the pictures of the day, he says "Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls!". Will Greninja have a learning curve or maybe have a unique feature, because from the trailer, it seems like Greninja is just a fast character, you can't really tell if the person playing him is doing something specific for that character. What do you think Sakurai means by "Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls"?
They probably function in a way similar to Ness's PK Thunder, nobody knew the use until the bolt hit Ness. Either that or his specials have many uses. Greninja's attacks seem to have a slow startup or long cooldown. Did you see his up tilt? It was somewhat slow starting up. Did you see his up smash? Long cooldown. His aerials seem blindingly fast though.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
He seems like Little Mac's opposite good air bad ground game.Water Katana is sooo cool.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It seems like his smash attacks in particular have notable negative side effects. Like his forward smash appears to lack power, while his up smash has a lot of ending lag.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
It seems like his smash attacks in particular have notable negative side effects. Like his forward smash appears to lack power, while his up smash has a lot of ending lag.
If that's the case, Greninja may be a total powerhouse. He will take a lot of practice and you have to get use to his long start ups or cooldowns, he is also very easy to K.O. With that said, he is extremely fast and probably K.Os opponents easily.

Last edited:

SuperCosmicSmash

Smash Cadet
It seems that there will be more hitstun in Smash 4, also it seems like most of his moves have great knockback. Also it's going to be near impossible to pressure Greninja, that fully charged water shurikren is going to destroy people who are close to you. It will carry them away doing damage.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
We can't exactly judge knockback considering we don't know damage percentages and weight.

Though like I said, the forward smash appears to have speed over power from what I've seen.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Looking at Greninja's three smashes again, it seems they do a lot of power, but if you miss, they have long ending lag. His down smash doesn't seem to bad, but we don't see his full side smash, as it cuts to a different scene right after hitting Mac.

We can't exactly judge knockback considering we don't know damage percentages and weight.

Though like I said, the forward smash appears to have speed over power from what I've seen.
I don't know about that, Greninja sent Little Mac pretty far with that swipe. Although, he could of been pretty weakened already. The sword swipe seems pretty slow to start with actually, at least the start-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Looking at Greninja's three smashes again, it seems they do a lot of power, but if you miss, they have long ending lag. His down smash doesn't seem to bad, but we don't see his full side smash, as it cuts to a different scene right after hitting Mac.
That might indicate that he is a glass cannon character. I wasn't paying any attention to his ending lag; but obviously swift Smash attacks don't have much, if what you say is true, this is a very interesting development.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
You know, everyone says that Greninja was really unexpected, but he is the most popular Pokemon from Gen 6 and has a very unique fighting style and attacks that could easily be implemented in smash. He is one of the best candidates to get a Mega Evolution in a new Gen, also Froakie is Ash's first Kalos Pokemon in the anime and will probably evolve into Greninja later on, also Greninja is making an appearance in the new movie about Diancie. You could say the same thing about Mewtwo, but as everyone already said, his chances of coming back is still high.

It also allows this. This is just perfect. (I didn't draw this, you can find it here:http://cheezburger.com/8143241728, not sure if this is the original image place, that is the place I found it)

That might indicate that he is a glass cannon character. I wasn't paying any attention to his ending lag; but obviously swift Smash attacks don't have much, if what you say is true, this is a very interesting development.
Yeah, it certainly seems like it, I guess we will just have to wait until Sakurai talks about him to know.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ AquaNinja AquaNinja
Please try to avoid double posting. You can always edit your existing posts or wait for someone else to post before posting again. Thanks!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
http://legendsoflocalization.com/how-did-japanese-fans-react-to-the-greninja-smash-bros-update/

Just something I discovered. Japan seems as happy (and surprised) at the announcement as we are. Though, strangely enough, several cite Greninja's over sea popularity. Weird, huh?
I'm curious about that as well, particularly since one of the other comments does state that he is "super popular" in Japan. Maybe it's just not as much as it is over here? Or are they putting more emphasis on our opinions of him?

Either way, that is interesting to think about.

Last edited:

SuperCosmicSmash

Smash Cadet
Pocket Monsters is always more popular in Japan. They have a Pikachu bus, I really think it's amazing. In America Pokemon is for kids, meanwhile in China...riding the Pikachu bus to work.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Man, so many characters are looking awesome... and Greninja's one of the cooler looking ones. I've gotta main Chrom if he makes it, but I'll be looking at Greninja regardless.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I'm very happy to see the blue frog in, and super excited for a the possibility of mewtwo. I'd main mewtwo or charizard( if mewtwo isnt in) and we can have a pokebattle with epic pokemon battle music in the background. Have at you Greninja mains! Consider your *** steam rolled by "the most powerful pokemon" (that hopefully doesent have a girl voice like in the new movie...)

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I'm very happy to see the blue frog in, and super excited for a the possibility of mewtwo. I'd main mewtwo or charizard( if mewtwo isnt in) and we can have a pokebattle with epic pokemon battle music in the background. Have at you Greninja mains! Consider your *** steam rolled by "the most powerful pokemon" (that hopefully doesent have a girl voice like in the new movie...)
Even if Mewtwo does get in, I do believe you underestimate us. Greninja isn't going down easily. We'll see what happens when the game comes out, but for now: challenge accepted.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
You know, everyone says that Greninja was really unexpected, but he is the most popular Pokemon from Gen 6 and has a very unique fighting style and attacks that could easily be implemented in smash. He is one of the best candidates to get a Mega Evolution in a new Gen, also Froakie is Ash's first Kalos Pokemon in the anime and will probably evolve into Greninja later on, also Greninja is making an appearance in the new movie about Diancie. You could say the same thing about Mewtwo, but as everyone already said, his chances of coming back is still high.

It also allows this. This is just perfect.

Yeah, it certainly seems like it, I guess we will just have to wait until Sakurai talks about him to know.
Holy crap I almost died there! This picture is life....I can't handle my two favorite fictional characters being in the same drawing like this.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Even if Mewtwo does get in, I do believe you underestimate us. Greninja isn't going down easily. We'll see what happens when the game comes out, but for now: challenge accepted.
Its a date! If mewtwo isn't in then I'll go ahead and challenge you with Charizard. I'll be getting the 3ds version when it comes out to hold me over for the wii u version. xD

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Double Post Warning Received
Its a date! If mewtwo isn't in then I'll go ahead and challenge you with Charizard. I'll be getting the 3ds version when it comes out to hold me over for the wii u version. xD
Water Beats Fire!Come at me!
Charizard is awesome though(tied for second favorite pokemon,with Greninja).

Holy crap I almost died there! This picture is life....I can't handle my two favorite fictional characters being in the same drawing like this.
It certainly is pretty awesome. Whoever drew it was a clever person. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom