• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab the Coins! - Brookline, MA -- 12/17

Banks

Smash Hero
migth as well play battlefield fox only, only thing i cant stand about the smash community, there so close minded, if you have a problem with mute city ban it, and if you get taken to brinstar deal with it. Thats the whole point of a counterpick. Play to win, its not up to the TO's to make the game "balanced" or fair for you, but anyways theres a thread to talk about legal stages and its not here so take it over there.
having it legal pretty much gives a substantial benefit only to peach/jigglypuff mains. I'm not gonna start arguing one way or the other for it, but if another fighting game tournament had rules different from the official rules that favored a certain character, some people would care I'm sure

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Shoutout tiem :3
1: KoreanDJ- Good **** in teams. I had a great time, our double peach wasn't so hot. We'd probably have ***** if we coulda gone double daisy
2: Mafia- now understanding his purpose (as well as accepting his strengths, weaknesses, and mute city), new englands hero begins to set higher goals
3: Zoso- good set. Sorry about mute, tbh i forgot about it too until our set. I'm not particularly a fan of that bull****, but it was a 3o5 set and your fox was looking mighty scary so i went to the free win stage :/ Good **** vs billy though.
4: th0rn- Good set, dude. I am satisfied with this victory :3
5: KevinM-
5: Mafia ($15.00)- Order is restored ;) ;).
;)
6: Diesel- DIRT! Good ****ing ****, dan. Thanks for all the support and ****, too. Couldn't have done it without you.
7: SmashJin- good **** dude :3
7: Banks- hi bobby
8: Crush- there was no reason for me to go falcon ;3
8: SOLAR- good **** dude. fun money matches
9: Dark Cloud- haven't seen you in a minute, haha.
9: Gotpho- STANLEY! sorry about the ****grabbing and whatnot
13: HaileyM- real ***** team doin real ***** ****
13: Ryu Cloud- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AXhhCx3S4&feature=related
13: WeaponX- hi mr dorey :3

Amateur Bracket:
1: Kartel- Good **** my dude. Gotta DD camp harder :3
1: y2k Bakura- TY for listening :3
3: Gary Oak- Way to go!
4: MattDotZeb- loooool
5: Yong- ILU
6: CK Momentum- thanks for everything.
7: Amatuer- tyler, you're the ****.
7: SCK- WOOP **** YEAH EVAN

Also, i'd rather get 2nd at a tournament without mute than do so more easily with it and have every win i get referred to as not legitimate, especially since i went there once the entire tournament.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Brinstar is really gay and should be banned. Dunno why it hasn't yet.

Rainbow Cruise is pretty garbs too.

JAPANESE NEUTRALS FO LIFE

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
One day I'll go to these things called "tournaments"

Goo shi ken y
fixed :)

also i hate MA for not showing me <3 (except MDZ) ... ya'll just scared that i barely go to tournies OR play with ANYONE

and i still **** all of you! hahahaha

jus wait haterz! I feed off this and all yall r gunna c see the beast and fear it

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I love Kingsley, but I don't think I'm wrong about this. When you have one stage that benefits more or less one person exclusively (cause I'm looking at these results and I really can't see anyone else who would go to Mute City or some other outdated CP) I think you have a problem.

If anything you should put on Corneria and Mushroom Kingdom 2 so I can score some easy *** W's.

But w'e, it's your tournament, I'm just stating my (apparently unwanted) .02 cents. Just saying, when you guys go to Nationals, dont come *****ing to me when y'all get exposed *cough cough*
We're bad compared to other regions. Thank you for stating the obvious, OTG.

And I'll put Corneria on next time. Thank you for the suggestion.
ya matt, i mean, if this is a matter of just wanting more stages, you might as well throw in brinstar depths and icicle mountain, cuz they're fun as ****

really doe, get with the ****ing times, this isn't mario party

if you're playing on mute city it better be in f-zero, not melee

.02¢
Mario party is fun as ****... MP4 MM anyone?

I like running tournaments a little differently than other people, and I like to try different things than other TOs. (such as running pools in losers bracket and adding formerly legal stages)
Some of those things even become beneficial, such as running seeding pools in order to run ama and pro brackets.
Just let me run tournaments how I like to run them. I support constructive criticism, but for stages I'm generally pretty stubborn. Although I did change them to national norms after overwhelming pressure started from $mike a few months ago.
The reason I decided to change the stages for GTC was because of HAB adding more stages to SWAGG. Throwback to past.

Just be glad I don't have pokemon stadium on the neutral list -_-

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
@kenY. YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE ****. Let's play melee sometime <3
Definitely, you guys gotta come up to NH since I went down there this weekend XD

hard for me to travel being married

and I need some motivation to take this game seriously <3 ...

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Just let me run tournaments how I like to run them. I support constructive criticism, but for stages I'm generally pretty stubborn. Although I did change them to national norms after overwhelming pressure started from $mike a few months ago.
The reason I decided to change the stages for GTC was because of HAB adding more stages to SWAGG. Throwback to past.

Just be glad I don't have pokemon stadium on the neutral list -_-
Matt.

I think the biggest reason people are complaining about Mute City is because Peach and Puff get a guaranteed counter-pick to super favorable stages with BOTH Mute City and Brinstar legal. Both of these stages being on pretty much only favor Peach and Puff as well.

If you're going to host tournaments, you do have some freedom to run them how you like. However you have to realize that if you want people to come to them and keep coming back, you have to compromise or meet their desires as well. Results will most likely be more consistent without oldschool counterpicks also.

Fortunately for myself I didn't have to go to Mute or Brinstar.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Right. I was talking with Mafia about it after posting.

Brinstar isn't something I see myself changing any time soon, but Mute most likely wont be making an appearance on the stage list at the next GTC. Nor will Corneria.

Max?

Smash Champion
I aint saying **** about you guys being bad cause I'm ****ing awful and you guys are the homies. CP stages are CP stages for a reason I agree, but the whole idea of a tournament environment is to determine who the best players were on that day. As a result, I would think the ruleset should be geared towards limiting random factors as much as possible. Stages like Brinstar/Cruise/MC are not conducive IMO for determining who has the most "skill", no matter how arbitrary and loaded that term is.

Just to give you guys an idea, I'm no stranger to taking people to stages like Cruise/Brinstar/Corneria, in fact I have a few sets online of me taking opponents there. My logic behind the CP? Being as gay as ****ing possible and abusing how dumb the stage is.

I guess I am pretty conservative in my ideal stage list, I'm a huge advocate of neutrals only, and I guess Stadium, but only because I'm really good on that stage. PS is pretty ****ing stupid as well.

Banks

Smash Hero
real cool to see you after so long Ken Y, fun times for sure and good stuff in teams

zoso and kevin, gg'z. I dun goofed on lots of edgeguards, and you two were both solid red-foxes-on-dreamland in those sets. I should probably rethink dairing right on someone's shield and downsmashing fox at 0% but it's always a challenge to fight the *********** that is my nub-**** autopilot.

gg'z to smashjin and yong for the double samus surprise pool, as well as WeaponX for quite the riveting set. Gotpho gg's you have a smart marth.

diesel daniel, thanks for driving and rocking to phat beats, as well as defeating all opponents in your path for the coveted 5th place. th0rn and SOLAR, thank you as well for additional maine train action.

gg's to everyone I played in tournament or in friendlies, it was fun

almost time for Apex...

Diesel

Smash Journeyman
1: KoreanDJ
2: Mafia - Restoring order since 1994.
3: Zoso - My favorite redhead.
4: th0rn - My favorite blond.
5: KevinM - You tall *******. :3
6: Diesel - Lucky guy with a lucky bracket.
7: SmashJin - 7 minute matches on Dreamland are my specialty. You should know this for future reference.
7: Banks - Bracket *****.
8: Crush - Ow owwwww! My boy CROSH! Well done.
8: SOLAR - Bracket *****. Good stuff beating DJ in pools.
9: Dark Cloud - Most intense last stock of my life. I was practically convulsing DI'ing those fsmashes at the end.
9: Gotpho - My ***** Stan Lee.
13: HaileyM - My girl Hailey. Aiiiite.
13: Ryu Cloud - Yo, check out the Redman walk in the first 10 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b_zT6mdN3c&ob=av2e
13: WeaponX - Mr. Dorey breakin out the shinguards finna' fight some people in this bracket.

1: Kartel >>>>>>> Due to time constraints GF could not be played out and both players split the pot. - Yo, great to see you out of retirement, my man. More Falcon dittos to come.
1: y2k Bakura - They're called ditto's now. It ain't 1963 anymore, Grandpa. Good ****.
3: Gary Oak - The home girl Nabo! Good stuff making sure Matt didn't get out.
4: MattDotZeb - Thanks for a great tournament, Matt.
5: Yong - The reeeeeeal homie YONG! Always a pleasure seeing you, man.
6: CK Momentum - You kept me warmed up this whole tournament. I appreciate it.
7: Amatuer - Wow. Did not expect you to be as good as you are. Very impressive.
7: SCK - Brookine's resident black person. EVAN CUTTTTTTTS! Gettin' it in!

And that's it for now people. Not many matches got recorded really. Might upload one or two later on but I doubt there will be a video thread for them. See y'all at Apex!

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
1: KoreanDJ - G
2: Mafia - Congrats on 2nd kid, and good **** stomping out the KDJ challenge hahaha. Let's get some sessions going and good stuff in teams.
3: Zoso - Stepping up your game! Glad to see you back in the scene.
4: th0rn - Hope to get more matches dude, your fox is pretty good haha.
5: KevinM - I heard your promise. And my new technology was just for you, get that fox going strong next time.
6: Diesel - Good matches. Maybe next time you can get a stock off of me.
7: SmashJin - Good friendlies while we skipped out on the tour hahaha
7: Banks - Had some good friendlies going on. Your marth game is getting better.
8: Crush - Next time we should get some matches. Heard good things about your marth.
8: SOLAR - Good stuff with the pools haha. Mute city is too good.
9: Dark Cloud - You got lucky our match didn't count son.
9: Gotpho - Let's get some more matches later outside the tournament with James and the crew next time haha.
13: HaileyM - Step up that peach next time, let's get some matches in some time.
13: Ryu Cloud - You got me cracking up the whole tournament, good stuff man. Hope you are going to APEX.
13: WeaponX - Never got a chance to play you, let's play next time.

1: Kartel- Matches in the future.
1: y2k Bakura - Coming back for the return of the Y2K. Go to APEX man, gotta get that hype!
3: Gary Oak - Great pool matches. Your peach definitely has potential to grow.
4: MattDotZeb - Your mario needs more minerals. Good stuff on the tourney venue.
5: Yong - Let's grab some matches in the near future, and all that stuff. Drink some soju at the afterparty haha.
6: CK Momentum - Good matches on your sheik, your sheik is definitely growing.
7: Amatuer - Matches in the future.
7: SCK - Matches in the future.

Good stuff to Travis for the filming, and good stuff to Papa Ginos for being delicious.

samox

Smash Journeyman
That was awesome. Great to see all the familiar faces!

I took a few pictures - not a lot, but enough to get a few people some new profile pics on facebook.

FUNNY STORY: I played in this tournament - FIRST TIME PLAYING IN A MELEE TOURNAMENT.

When Matt asked me what I wanted for the bracket, I answered "Amateur", thinking I had a choice between Pro and Amateur brackets (noobish anyone?). I did not realize he was asking me for a handle.

I noticed the error when we started pools, but didn't bother telling anyone.

So, in my first opportunity to use the name Samox, I was actually Amateur.

HA!

Production update coming soon! :)

EDIT: Grammar.

Dark_Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I looked and my last post on smashboards was from 2009. Haven't had this much fun in a long time. Awesome tournament.

KoreanDJ - ggggggggggg blackhole evening because you deserve it
Zoso - Great seeing you again. Congrats on placing well in the tournament.
KevinM - It was fun playing you in pools. Gotta get some more matches in next time
Diesel - We need a Gannon rematch on fountain of dream. Nice DI on that last stock.
Crush - I need to play your marth some more. You have some good stuff going on.
Gotpho - Marth dittos all day.
Ryu Cloud - I'll beat you next time. Your edgegarding is damn good as marth. A cloud rematch is in order.
MattDotZeb - Good ****. It was a fun tournament. I'll rematch your pikachu on Mute City anyday.

Can't wait for APEX.

strawhats

Smash Master
so glad the kdj is playing this game again (that sheik picture at the bottom of your avi is such a tease though).

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
Ryu Cloud - I'll beat you next time. Your edgegarding is damn good as marth. A cloud rematch is in order.
My rivial you truley wrothy of wearing the name of the "Cloud" but i looked inside of my heart to find the answer to victory you fight for the sheer pleasure of it, the thrill of the hunt for the kill but i fight to test my limits and surpass them always ready to meet the next challenge , your technique is strong , but unbalance let the paths of clouds be settled bo5 MM at Apex ps KDJ you the Man we eating chicken all day at apex

Banks

Smash Hero
7: Banks - Had some good friendlies going on. Your marth game is getting better.
yea those were fun, yoshi's story has gotta go for that matchup tho lmao. I need to get better vs fox so always good to get a few games vs yours. and lol @ DK, too bad that monkey is blow-tier in this game.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
oh wow these results.

Also WTF the great gonzo is back on the boards. Good name... Better than mine... I gotta change this freaking thing

*EDIT* wait the guy making the documentary was @ this but not @ mass madness? lol

:phone:

HaileyM

Smash Apprentice
1: KoreanDJ- you're too good, we definitely need to play some friendlies next time, and maybe you can give me some peach advice :)
2: Mafia- good ****, real *****!! reppin peach, thanks for always giving me good tips
3: Zoso- hi dave youre p good and stuff, fun games in pools :) see you tomorrow!
4: th0rn- gg's even though we werent supposed to play!
5: KevinM- <33 you keep getting better and better, i expect you in bracket at apex, and i will prove you wrong and win our bet :p i love you!
6: Diesel- papa ginos all day, loll your red man walk was killing me
7: SmashJin- thanks for teaming, sorry that i showed up late and screwed us over by putting us in losers ): we should try again sometime though, i think we'd **** :)
7: Banks- good to see you as always, also thanks for ****ting on me on mute city haha
8: Crush-don't think we played?
8: SOLAR-fun peach dittos!!
9: Dark Cloud- gg's in bracket your marth is good!
9: Gotpho- good **** stanley, you were on fire! I'm glad you came to this :D
13: HaileyM- ****
13: Ryu Cloud- aiiiiiight real *****s, real *****s with HATS!
13: WeaponX- thanks for the peach dittos! :)

Amateur Bracket:
1: Kartel- we should play next time!
1: y2k Bakura- gg's in pools!
3: Gary Oak- <3 it was great to see you, I had so much fun hanging out! ugh nailpolish is so stupid though!! you did awesome at this btw!
4: MattDotZeb- mario?! waaaat haha
5: Yong- we need to play more!!
6: CK Momentum- TOM ): why didnt you win
7: Amatuer- we should definitely play next time, your documentary is going to be so sick :)
7: SCK-

St. Viers

Smash Champion
The fact that Dark Cloud won some matches this tourney makes me wish I had gone, but for some reason my old fashioned self spent the day helping family get ready for Christmas >_>

@Dan: Good stuff. Imma beat you in 2012 tho--gotta step my game up
@M.Z: congrats running the tourney, and finding a venue that I can get to easily. I'll try my hardest to get to the next one
@Steve: How did you beat people?! I want to play you now =P
@Maf: you keep slipping away from me in terms of skill, but if I'm gonna get dan next year, I'll get through you ;)

ZoSo

Smash Champion
My rivial you truley wrothy of wearing the name of the "Cloud" but i looked inside of my heart to find the answer to victory you fight for the sheer pleasure of it, the thrill of the hunt for the kill but i fight to test my limits and surpass them always ready to meet the next challenge , your technique is strong , but unbalance let the paths of clouds be settled bo5 MM at Apex ps KDJ you the Man we eating chicken all day at apex
SIGGED.

Matt, people travel and spend their money to compete. I think it's reasonable for them to expect as little bull**** as possible, and they expect/depend on you to run a good tournament. This is not the right time or place to be asserting your individuality.

tl;dr don't run tournaments for yourself.

New England smashers have become like my second family! Love and respect to all of you (except James you fake son).

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahaaaha

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
:reverse: lol

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Shoutout time!

Pro Bracket:
1: KoreanDJ :peachmelee::marthmelee: Fun friendlies man, it was nice to get to play you. Hope to see you at Apex.
2: Mafia :falconmelee::peachmelee: Didn't get to you play you this time around. Good job
3: Zoso :marthmelee: Good games in friendlies.
4: th0rn :falcomelee: Good games. Your Falco is good stuff.
5: KevinM :foxmelee: Didn't play you again. Good job.
6: Diesel :ganonmelee::falconmelee: Really close games ma doo. I was super nervous. I'll get you next time. I've been playing Samus against all these Peaches, how do you think I feel about those 7 minute DL64 games? Haha.
7: SmashJin :samusmelee: Keep working at it.
7: Banks :sheikmelee: Good games man. Actually had some pretty close games.
8: Crush :falcomelee: Crushhh. Good games, we keep playing in tourney.
8: SOLAR :peachmelee: Good games in teams.
9: Dark Cloud :marthmelee: Good games in loser's bracket pools.
9: Gotpho :marthmelee: STANLEY. Good games! Thanks for coming to Wings with me.
13: HaileyM :peachmelee: Hailey! Need more friendlies! haha. I agree, we should try teams again. Need to practice some team games and warm up for next time.
13: Ryu Cloud :marthmelee:
13: WeaponX :peachmelee: Good games, thought I had you twice. Damn that stitchface. I'll get you next time!

Amateur Bracket:
1: Kartel :falconmelee:>>>>>>> Due to time constraints GF could not be played out and both players split the pot.
1: y2k Bakura :sheikmelee:
3: Gary Oak :peachmelee: Good stuff in tourney and getting locked outside haha.
4: MattDotZeb :mariomelee::pikachumelee: Thanks for coming to Wings with me. Hope I enlightened you with Golden BBQ.
5: Yong :samusmelee: Good games man. I really like some of the tricks you use with Samus.
6: CK Momentum :falcomelee: We didn't play this time around.
7: Amatuer :falconmelee: Good stuff with the camera and the documentary. Hope to see you at more events and improving!
7: SCK

Edmund(?): Not sure who you were, didn't really get your name. (Using that OZA tag?) Good games, you seemed like a cool dude.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Also, i'd rather get 2nd at a tournament without mute than do so more easily with it and have every win i get referred to as not legitimate, especially since i went there once the entire tournament.
Wants wins to be legitimate, picks Mute City anyway.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
wants to not get ***** by zoso's fox
plans on going FD
recalls Solar vs KDJ earlier that day
makes simple decision resulting in getting to GF's
That's fine bro, a win's a win, regardless of ruleset. Grats on 2nd.

It still doesn't mean that this statement isn't hypocritical:

Wants wins to be legitimate, picks Mute City anyway. You have every possibility of removing this issue. But the fact is you just wanted to win, so this statement doesn't make sense. You will abuse the ruleset to the best of your ability.

Max?

Smash Champion
There's no shame in abusing a ruleset to your advantage. People will just think you're fake as **** but w'e

Top Bottom