• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab options

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to playing link, and have been doing ok with him, and after experimenting with his grabs i'm still not sure which is best. At low percents i find myself d-throwing to bair, but at higher percents i don't have a consistent strategy.

What do other link players do with their grabs both at high and low percents.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

sasook

Smash Champion
At higher percents, Link's grabs only have one advantage - a set up for juggling. This is because all 4 throws will send the opponent into the air.

At low percent's, dthrow isn't bad. People like to use fthrow or bthrow and follow up with a DAC too.

BTW, if you're new:

1) Welcome

2) read the guides on the boards (they're all stickied except mine)

4Serial

Smash Lord
0% - D-throw > grab again works on some characters, and is a decent surprise move you can probably pull off once in a while. Don't get too obvious with it though. I think b-throw can chain together at 0% on some characters as well since it sends them really low and horizontal.

Low% - D-throw > u-tilt or u-smash is good. You can also use f-tilt, but it's a lot harder to follow up. You can also jab and use jab cancels to grab again. I believe f-throw > f-air works on bigger characters too and you can probably grab them after.

Mid% - F-throw or B-throw is a decent way to set up for a DAC. Look carefully at how they DI, or this could work against you. Though, at this point, grabbing is probably better to pressure them and keep thme away so you have space to use your projectiles more effectively. If you get them high in the air, chase them with whatever. You can time a hit as they land from an airdodge, or if they try to attack while landing, you can space yourself and punish them.

High% - At this point, you can probably just use throws to get them off of the stage and edgeguard them unless you've already done it earlier with a gimp. You can hit them upwards and read their airdodge with a good d-air to kill, or something.

Also, Link's u-throw kills most characters at like 160% from my experience. This is completely dependent on the opponent's character, DI, and the stage ceiling.

Other things you can do with a grab is retreat and pivot grab, which surprises people a lot. You can pivot grab to punish poor spacing like missed dash attacks and landing lag. It's also a really good trick to use on people to dash from in front of them to behind them and pivot grab. They'll normally try to spotdodge, or wait until you dash attack or something and they try to shield grab you, but you'll go past them and grab them. It's a cool trick to use on people, but don't use it too much. It adds to your pressuring options ^^

Abyss Master

Smash Rookie
I myself use down throw the most, preferably at lower percentage, and then follow up with an up smash or up tilt. I also use back throw sometimes and follow up with back air.

Throwing them off the stage and following up with the boomerang is also something I do. This is mostly against characters like Kirby and Meta-Knight

Kyuuber

Smash Cadet
In high % like 150% or more use Up Throw...depend on the char you're throwing, it will kill him ^^

Top Bottom