• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

good strategy?

legion598

Smash Ace
ummmm this is a mind game ive been using not sure how good it is but basically u gaurd the stage with f-airs like usual and then the opponent gets smart and just falls under u and attemts to recover vertically to grab the stage when they do this u just do a d-air spike which out ranges and outprioritizes most recoveries and kills at really low percentages and as ur jumping up to do the d-air it looks alot like a jumped f-air and the opponent may think u just missed and wont expect a d-air in the face this is probly used alot already or maybe it isnt a good strat, just pointing it out

metroid1117

Smash Master
The spiking part is what I have qualms about; against an auto-sweetspotting character, you'll have a hard time getting them before they grab the edge. It seems difficult to do when you're already on the stage; because of auto-fastfalling, you cannot simply run off the stage and DAir, but you must jump before you use it so that you don't fall to your doom. This, however, screws up your timing and telegraphs to your opponent what you are going to do. It would be a more viable option if you edgehop the DAir; I just can't see it being very effective when you start onstage and you try to spike a vertical recovery.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
A point worth bringing up is that using a tilt stick for aerials does not cause you to auto fast fall if you run off the stage and down air, and the animation ends fast enough for you to double jump back and aether back onto the stage should someone attempt to ledge hog you.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
for me spiking someone is worth a screen shot everytime lol, that is if ur using ike and do a d aerial , but ithink a lot of people have seen ike down aerial , everyones afraid of it lol , so basicaly you need to find another start up so it looks like ur gona do a different finishing .

studly

Smash Ace
ummmm this is a mind game ive been using not sure how good it is but basically u gaurd the stage with f-airs like usual and then the opponent gets smart and just falls under u and attemts to recover vertically to grab the stage when they do this u just do a d-air spike which out ranges and outprioritizes most recoveries and kills at really low percentages and as ur jumping up to do the d-air it looks alot like a jumped f-air and the opponent may think u just missed and wont expect a d-air in the face this is probly used alot already or maybe it isnt a good strat, just pointing it out
i did actually catch on to this a little

metroid1117

Smash Master
A point worth bringing up is that using a tilt stick for aerials does not cause you to auto fast fall if you run off the stage and down air, and the animation ends fast enough for you to double jump back and aether back onto the stage should someone attempt to ledge hog you.
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Oh ****, I need to try that, many thanks for bringing that up.

Yeah, the strategy outlined in the OP seems more viable now.

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
Not a bad idea. Could be done with good timing but what if they recovered before you got to spike them? That would easily get them back on the stage. It could be a disadvantage for you too, depending on which character you're using and what type of recovery the opponent has.

BlackTulip

Smash Cadet
Of course there is the basics :
1. Run torwards but immediately turn around and Bair, I love it.
2. Approach with Nair and follow with Utilts and such.
3. When your opponent is on the edge, Jab with your first to hits and cancel into a Dtilt and spike them.

legion598

Smash Ace
wow i like that jab into down tilt idea ill have to try that. as for a character recovering past u id say ur best bet is to hit them with an aether as soon as possible. tho this can be edge hogged by a good opponent and probably not a good idea on someone like marth. but overall its pretty good i kind of doubt it but in some situations u may be able to go into an aether spike using this strat. and obviously no strat is perfect but this one at least seems pretty flexible to me

legion598

Smash Ace
can we all be ike masters? after all anyone who uses ike is automatically a master. but no i wouldnt consider myself a master just a person who fights for his friends. and saying that a strategy will or will not work is questionable since its the situation that matters not the strategy but ya adding in n-airs is always a good idea

ptown

Smash Ace
Of course there is the basics :
1. Run torwards but immediately turn around and Bair, I love it.
2. Approach with Nair and follow with Utilts and such.
3. When your opponent is on the edge, Jab with your first to hits and cancel into a Dtilt and spike them.

those aren't basic: those are gimmicks.

and the answer to your question legion is no.

Capitan Boss

Smash Rookie
Something I've discovered is a "Safe spike" for Aether. It's incredibly hard to time however. If you stand on the edge of the stage, and begin an Aether just as your opponent is about to grab the ledge, when you come down, if they are starting to come onto the stage, they will get spiked. It was at a pretty low percentage, and I couldn't save the replay. In any case, it still leaves the opponent a small chance of recovery, but the level nine Marth couldn't. It was probably just luck, but who knows.

I've also found that the 'Ken combo' also applies to Ike rather well, starting from the center of Final Destination, you can make a 3 hit KO against some characters by using Fair twice, knocking them off the stage, then pursue them as they try to recover, and they should have just enough damage to be knocked just out of reach of their recovery. This of course doesn't count players like Pit, Kirby, Jigglypuff, although they may just be knocked into a KO from the third strike since they are so light.

Just thought I'd give my daily bit of Ike insight.

Edit* Lol, players, not player.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Something I've discovered is a "Safe spike" for Aether. It's incredibly hard to time however. If you stand on the edge of the stage, and begin an Aether just as your opponent is about to grab the ledge, when you come down, if they are starting to come onto the stage, they will get spiked. It was at a pretty low percentage, and I couldn't save the replay. In any case, it still leaves the opponent a small chance of recovery, but the level nine Marth couldn't. It was probably just luck, but who knows.

I've also found that the 'Ken combo' also applies to Ike rather well, starting from the center of Final Destination, you can make a 3 hit KO against some characters by using Fair twice, knocking them off the stage, then pursue them as they try to recover, and they should have just enough damage to be knocked just out of reach of their recovery. This of course doesn't count players like Pit, Kirby, Jigglypuff, although they may just be knocked into a KO from the third strike since they are so light.

Just thought I'd give my daily bit of Ike insight.

Edit* Lol, players, not player.
Aetherspiking is not new, sorry; it's been developed to the point where people are grabbing the edge and then reverse Aetherspiking opponents. It works incredibly well against DK and maybe Bowser, but it completely destroys Olimar and Ivysaur (if you can hit them with it).

The Ken Combo in Melee was FAir -> DAir spike; you're talking about a Wall of Pain (WoP), which is most commonly associated with Jigglypuff. This won't work because (1) move decay will weaken the FAir and (2) it won't work on good players because they'll just DI the FAir and survive.

Welcome to the Ike boards, by the way; it's good that you're trying to help out, but try checking around to see if what you're saying is new. Also, it's not advised to bump an old thread; the last post in this thread was in August.

Top Bottom