• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Matchup Against Marth?

Tian

Smash Apprentice
My friend uses Marth alot, and no matter who i use i can't seem to get through to marth..

So can anyone list some good matchups to Marth or tell me how i can beat him.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Sheik, Ganon, Falcon all do well against marth. Most high tiers will do all right against marth in the first place.

But if his marth is just good, and you aren't, character selection isn't going to matter.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
He's only better than me, but only by A LITTLE.

Like if we played 10 times, i'd win atleast 3 games.

No it's like if we play 10 i can only win 1 with marth. -_-

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I can sort of see falcon, but ganondorf? I thought marth was one of his not-so-good matchups?

But yeah, to the OP, most people would probably agree on shiek for this one.

Rune

Smash Lord
Sir Dragmire is the only thing that outranges poor little Marth. He's not that hard to beat when you know what you're doing, but playing the usual defensive spacing game against him will make things pretty hard for our favorite sword fairy.

I'd say the same goes for Samus actually, Samus doesn't work too well against Marth, but Marth's combo's, throwing game and edgeguard don't really do too well against Samus either. Nice way to turn a quick win into a lengthy and tedious struggle, which might just agitate any Marth enough to take risks he obviously shouldn't.

Play to win. <3

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I didn't mention samus because a smart marth can elimate her biggest asserts, her projectiles and cc game.

I agrued this to death. Klowne, read the "tips against ganon" thread...ganon vs marth is a very even match, not a bad one for ganon. The marth has to be on his toes and space very carefully or he dies in three hits. Most marths don't see ganon as a threat immediately and end up losing stocks quickly. Its an up-hill battle for both characters.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I'll deffinately give it a read. I don't intend to argue it, i just thought i remembered people saying that ganondorf didn't do well against marth. Weird.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Ganon does well against Marth's that don't camp him out w/ Fairs. If a Marth does nothing but Fair until the Ganon attacks, Ganon will lose because it neutralizes Ganon's approach. Otherwise, Ganon combo's Marth pretty bad.

Sheik is a good match-up for fighting Marth, she does pretty well against him.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Bladeofapollo, don't make me agrue...

Ganon won't lose over something like that that easily. Fair camping ***** everyone but there are ways around it and ganon can exchange blows with you and send you flying.

I REALLY hate it when people say ____ makes ganon lose because its just not true. A defensive marth gives ganon a harder time, like 60-40 in his disadvantage but by no means has he lost. As I told Klowne, go to that thread.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not here for some argument over the matchup between Ganon and Marth, which really can go either way depending on playstyles. Instead, I'll answer the OP.

Some defensive Marths can be very destructive to certain players' styles. Namely, the impatient ones. If you're winning 30-40% of the time against your friend's other characters but suddenly not standing a chance against his Marth, one of three things might be the case.

The first is, you're probably just not as good as you think. Marth might be his best character by far and he's bringing his best game against you when he's Marth. At which point, the only thing you can do about that is get better. Practice your speed, technical, mental game, whatever. Character preference will not get you very far until you do this.

The second is, you're getting wrecked by a camping Marth. You might have a very aggressive style based on charging in and throwing attacks before the opponent responds. Given Marth's range, this is clearly not a fun method of doing things. A single mistake will end up giving you +20% and a velocity in an off-stage direction rivaling Sandbag's. Think your approach game through, don't just rush in and hope he doesn't Tipper you.

The third is, you're using Mewtwo. I really can't give any advice on this case.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm not about to agrue as I already have with tedboosley and had renth, linguini and emblem lord state what I have been saying.

I do agree with everything you have said though ankoku

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
You're right bluedeath, and I apologize for making that statement so definite. I guess it just sounded better in my head for some reason.

I should've said a Fair camping Marth gives Ganon a sh*t hard time. Like, Ganon's Fair packs nasty range, knock-back, damage, and priority... but it can't quite get past Marth's disjointed, ranged Fair consistently. If you do this match-up, you're gonna have to play hella smart and try not to make mistakes that leave you in range for combos. Despite the campy-goodnes, Ganon is one of my main anti-Marth tools.

Fox works well too. You can usually get 2-3 Uairs after an Uthrow.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Ganon can exchange blows with marth so well and it causes damage to really crack down on marth...and thanks for keeping an open mind about it and not agruing with me for the next two pages like some people do.

Fox/Falco do well but meh, that chaingrab gets nasty.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
great you just had to mention that thread:laugh: well my falco can now pillar and own with that talon spike(tats right i named it), edge doesn't sweetspot often. lasers are used to catch him off guard, somethin that works wonders is standered shooting with falco, you can barely get out of it. everyone's like your a n00b if you don't shl, i don't agree.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Sorry brawl pro, I have to agree with them lol..standard shooting sucks.

You can't approach with your lasers that way and attack. You don't really have an approach without lasers and you aren't retreating them, letting him reach you anyway..besides, anyone can get through that easy lasering.

brawlpro

Smash Master
i'm sayin if your at a good distance at fd, then ppl might freeze thinkin i've never seen snyone do this...and it worked too at the fest i went to, and those ppl were hard...for me and they went to a circuit tourney while i stayed home wonderin how much of a good time they're havin:(
btw: i can shl well its just that i don't, you can g'head and ask edge if ya want...

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Brawl pro, trust me..it might catch people off guard for a moment but its not good and limits your options and is bad to stick with...its very easy to get past and if its on fd, the first 50% is easy with shine comboing in the first place.

brawlpro

Smash Master
thnx...i guess i'll stick with shl, dude i started maining falco cause i got sick of failin shffles with fox, and after i practiced shfflin with fox then played falco afterwards...it felt good not to mess up, fox/falco of mine are now nearly even, hope you'll be in the mood to watch my next vidz, hope scotu and them wanna watch them too...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
He doesn't go past, he goes through!

Otherwise, his roll is pretty good. ;P
You can also say the same thing of Marth. Trying to get past Ganon is not easy when they know what they are doing. Ganon is very tricky at first to get used to playing though, since his dair is very slow windup time and when it connects and it takes time to get accustomed to l-canceling a slower character. That same slowness nails spotdodge spammers pretty effectively though.

The main thing you need to learn is you just can't jump into a standing Marth it will almost never work. You need to learn to play with his range and bait him alot to get your hits in.

Bloodred

Smash Cadet
you don't beat marth you join him.... or better yet u join me! become me aprentice and together we will be a force uncanny ya know.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I don't even play against CPU's as Marth because it doesn't help at all...Unless it's practicing Ken combo..

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
just for good measure, ganon doesn't do so great against marth, to say that the matchup is even is kind of going a bit far, its a close matchup but not even. he gets absolutely ***** on fd by him.

go sheik, she is the only character besides fox who stands a chance against him.

marth is top tier, i'll say it again.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
JBM, I've agrued it to death and I've gotten all the higher ups on the ganon boards to agree with me as well as emblem. Its not abit much to say its even, Its even on most stages due to the things they can do it each other. Ganon does well against marth, it can go either way depending on the marth's passiveness and the ganon's ability to tech chase.

Those are the big key factors in it.

Marth isn't that good, hes good, but not THAT good.

I main marth and secondary ganon and I'd actually rather go ganon against another marth than do a marth ditto, I feel more secure as ganon against marth and don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage at all.

But I'm stubborn, the only time I feel I need to counterpick from ganon is fighting a shiek..of which, is too much of a gap.

Top Bottom