• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (of) Mafia -Game Over! Indy Alex wins!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
On an actually funny note, I'm only sperging out in this game because Bardull thought I was Nabe when I logged into his game stream as Nabe_s_Polka_Dot_Bikini and proceeded to tell me about how close the town came to winning, only to fall to our dastardly plans.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
The moderator shouldn't need to put in a rule in to tell a player to look at their own role pm. Unless, you actually believe that you play optimally for your faction by not knowing your own alignment until your slot is put on the ropes to fend for its own survival.
I do believe that, as a matter of fact. By not reading my role PM, I'm left to the assumption that I'm a Townie, which is optimal play as either alignment. If I'm town, I'm already doing what I'm supposed to. If I'm mafia, I'm playing exactly the way I would as town, therefore I will never give scumtells.

As for submitting night actions, or a possible QT with my scumteam, I'm in a hydra. My partner, who read the role PM, was in charge of that. Though he ended up claiming our PR to me midway through D1.

The fact that I was actually reading Orbo's play to figure out my own alignment made it easier to spot any scummy things he might have been doing. I could have helped to correct his behavior in the QT, without the town knowing it had happened. It ended up not being a big deal though, because we were town, and we both played like town. Would have been diabolical if we were scum though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Town Roles
Isaac (Adept Jack of All Trades) - Syclla & Charybdis
Greetings, Adumbrodeus & Swiss! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Isaac: "Wait for the end of the world to come or wind up accidentally triggering it ourselves… What a choice…"

You are Isaac, Venus Adept from Vale. Protagonist of the first game, you set off with your companions after the Elemental Stars are pilfered from Sol Sanctum.

Though silent in the first game, it turns out you're a real chatterbox, though you're a kind man, and always trying to help others.

Abilities -

Versatile – As a very skilled and flexible Adept, you're capable of changing your class with ease, giving you access to a wide breadth of psynergy. To this effect, you may use TWO of the following abilities. You do not have to decide immediately, and can use the abilities as you deem appropriate, however you may only use TWO over the course of the game, and cannot use two in the same night phase.

Retreat - You are able to make yourself immune to night actions for a single night phase. To use this ability, PM me the command Retreat during the night phase. This may only be used once.

Guard – Guard increases the votes required to lynch a player by one. To use this ability, PM me the command Guard: Player during the night phase. This ability may only be used once.

Impact – Impact grants a player a double-vote, making their vote count twice towards a lynch total. To use this ability, PM me the command Impact: Player during the night phase. This ability may only be used once.

Frost – Frost prevents the targeted player from voting during the following day phase. To use this ability, PM me the command Frost: Player during the night phase. This ability may only be used once.

Win Condition: You win when there are no threats remaining to the Adepts, regardless of whether you live or die.

Kraden (Adept Sage) - Frozenflame751
Greetings, Frozenflame751! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Menardi: "Kraden... Can we use him?"
Saturos: "Hmmm... His knowledge is no meager thing. ...We can use him."
Menardi: "But he's more stubborn than we expected..."
Saturos: "And cunning, too... Cunning beyond measure."

You are Kraden, wandering Sage. You are a seeker of knowledge, having been sent from Tolbi by Lord Babi to study the elemental stars. You find yourself taken hostage by Saturos and Menardi, and they use your knowledge to enter Sol Sanctum and steal the stars for themselves!

For arbitrary plot reasons, you've escaped their clutches and are doing everything you can to help the Adepts stop them!

Abilities -

Annoyance Undying – Though a valued font of knowledge, you have a tendency to ramble ON AND ON in every cutscene in the game, much to the annoyance of others. This power to annoy has transcended mortal bounds, and you (and you alone) may post in the thread during the night phase, by way of communication with me, your moderator. You may post in this manner as many times as you like, though I reserve the right to end the night phase once all actions are submitted. If you do not intend to post, please PM me indicating you don't intend to do so.

To make a post during the night-phase, send me a PM detailing the content you would like me to post in your stead. This post will in no way attach your identity to it, though you may choose to say whatever you like, which includes claiming, crumbing, whatever.

Win Condition: You win when there are no threats remaining to the Adepts, regardless of whether you live or die.

Ivan (Adept Mind-Reader) - Rake
Greetings, NAME! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

"Yes. I...I do possess strange powers." "You have them, too, don't you?" "What? My power... It's called Psynergy? I had no idea!

You are Ivan, Jupiter Adept. Originally from Contigo, you found yourself in the care of Hammet of Kalay. While travelling in the town of Vault, you meet Isaac and Garet, and learn of their quest from the Wise One to prevent the lighting of the Elemental Lighthouses.

You are very intelligent and polite, and your mastery of Jupiter psynergy allows you to perform a number of otherworldly abilities. Among them...

Abilities -

Mind Read – One of the signature powers of Jupiter is the power to read minds. Very gifted in this regard, you may select a single player to converse with in a quicktopic. This must be decided during the confirmation phase of the game, and cannot be changed once selected. Alignments will not be confirmed to either player, and it is up to your discretion who you choose to pose as in the quicktopic. You may choose to pose as anything/anyone you like, other than your moderator's name or title. (Raziek, or any variation thereof)

Quicktopic - http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/CxyfUw8apaCCt

Please PM me your choice, and they will receive the link to the quicktopic to begin conversing with you.

Mia (Adept Healer) - Red Ryu
Greetings, Red Ryu! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

"I have failed in the one duty placed upon me... This is terrible."

You are Mia, Mercury Adept from the town of Imil. As a member of the Mercury clan, you stand watch over the Mercury Lighthouse, ensuring that its fires are not lit once more. To fail in your duty would set the world on a path to destruction.

You're an incredibly kind woman, going out of your way to heal anyone who needs your aid. Kind almost to a fault.

Abilities -

Ply – Drawing on your powers as a Mercury adept, you are able to protect a player from harm during the night phase. Doing so takes a great deal of energy, so you may do so only once during the span of the game. However, there are forces in the game that even your psynergy cannot stand against, so be wary. This action cannot be prevented, should you choose to use it.

Mia (Adept Jailer) - (Post-Mercury Lighthouse)

Mia (Mercury onwards)

Alex: "No, Mia... Don't you understand? The lighthouse granted you great power during your battle with Saturos."
Mia: "It's true... I could use my power without ever depleting it."

What a shocking turn of events! The Mercury Lighthouse has been lit, and the psynergy from the aerie is overflowing!

With this energy, your abilities have changed!

Pure Ply – The overwhelming power flowing from Mercury Lighthouse has strengthened the power of your Ply, but at a cost. Pure Ply now protects the target completely from ALL killing actions. However, it now prevents the target from taking any other actions on the night they are protected.

Limitless - Your Pure Ply no longer has the one-shot restriction that it previously carried.

Win Condition: You win when there are no threats remaining to the Adepts, regardless of whether you live or die

Lord Babi (Adept Forced Commuter) - traveling cat
Greetings, Traveling Cat! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Ivan: "You have that draught, Babi... That's why you've lived so long. And become wealthy enough to rule Tolbi."
Babi: "What are you getting at?"
Ivan: "What is your purpose in making everyone study Alchemy?"
Iodem: "I'm starting to wonder myself. What do you hope to gain, Babi?"
Babi: "Ah. If I had attained true immortality... There would be no need for all this research."

You are Lord Babi, current acting ruler of the bustling metropolis of Tolbi, renowned for its famed gladiatorial festival, Colosso!

Speaking of which, you've been ruling for an awfully long time, haven't you? So long in fact, that it's because you've been cheating death with the aid of a special potion called Lemurian Draught, which increases your life span!

Abilities -

Addiction – You've become dependent on the draught in order to survive. In order to obtain it, each night phase you must travel to Altmiller Cave to retrieve it from storage. You cannot be targeted by killing actions while travelling. However, if you are role-blocked, jailed, or otherwise prevented from taking action, you will suffer a penalty, as a result of being unable to obtain your draught.

The first time you are prevented from retrieving it, you will be vote-blocked for the following day phase. The second time you are prevented, you will die.

Bunza (Adept Caravan Driver) - Rid****ulous
Greetings,Rid****ulous! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Hammet: “Bunza! Is that you?”

You are Bunza, Master Hammet's diligent caravan driver! You've endeavoured to aid the adepts in whatever way you can, primarily using your trusty caravan!

Abilities -

Caravan Ride – As Hammet's caravan driver, you can take 2 players of your choosing on a ride! (Whether they want to or not) Each ticket is one-way only, so your ride effectively switches the two players for the duration of the night phase. Any abilities that would have targeted player A will instead target player B, and vice-versa. (Subject to NAR) You may not target yourself.

To use this ability, send me a PM during the night phase containing the command Caravan: <Player A>, <Player B>.

Hama (Adept Revealing Self-Watcher) - Kantrip
Greetings, Potassium! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Hama: "Use Reveal to cross the desert. But your Reveal may not be that strong yet... The oases may not appear. The rest is up to Ivan's abilities. Ivan, I am very glad to see you have grown to be such a strong man."
Mia: "Ivan, do you and Master Hama... know each other?"
Ivan: "No... But she doesn't feel like a stranger..."

You are Master Hama, Jupiter Adept. Originally from Contigo, you are Ivan's sister, and a powerful Jupiter Adept. Teaching out of the Lama temple in Eastern Angara, you aid Isaac's party by teaching him how to use Reveal to cross the Lamakan Desert.

Abilities -

Reveal – During every night phase, you will use Reveal. Reveal informs you of any and all players that targeted you that night, but no information about the nature of these abilities. This ability cannot be blocked or prevented in any way.

Master Maha (Adept Nightwalker) - KevinM

Greetings, KevinM! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Kraden: "Adepts borrow their abilities from the power of the elements... While lycanthropes borrow theirs from the power of beasts... This is why they take the forms of animals... They may look frightening... But we must try to communicate with them. Lycanthropes... Werewolves... A whole village in hiding..."

You are Master Maha, Werewolf leader of the village of Garoh. Garoh, due to its proximity to Air's Rock, is filled with werewolves. They have been granted minor powers of psynergy thanks to fragments of psynergy stones carried on the winds.

Abilities -

Night-Walker – Every night, you will secretly travel to one body of the dead. (If no-one dies, you will not travel. If multiple die, you will be given a choice of which to examine.) Upon doing so, you will receive information pertaining to the role of that player, including a description of their abilities. This ability is invisible to investigative roles.

Werewolf – Due to your outwardly frightening experience, you will appear hostile to any roles capable of discerning alignment.

Red Mafia Roles
Karst (Proxian Ninja Roleblocker) - Inferno3044

Greetings, Inferno3044! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Kraden: "How do you know it wasn't Felix who defeated your sister?"
Karst: "What do you take me for? I'm a warrior, like my sister...I can gauge a man's strength at a single glance. Even if you doubled Felix's power, he would still be no match for my sister."

You are Karst, Mars Adept from the town of Prox. Prox lies far, far to the north, among the snowbound wastelands connected to Northern Angara, and is at risk of being consumed by Gaia Falls, as the landmass of Weyard erodes away. For this reason, you have ventured South to light the Elemental Lighthouses and restore Alchemy, allowing you to save Prox from destruction.

Sister to Menardi, you possess a fiery temper, and like Agatio, you have no qualms using force to achieve your goals. However, you tend to be a bit more subtle about it than he.

Abilities -

Djinnfest – During the night phase, you may select a player. That player's action will fail. You may only use this ability three times during the game. You may not use this ability on consecutive nights.

Ninja – You're a bit more subtle than your partner Agatio. As such, you will not be revealed to investigative roles (such as Tracker or Watcher) when you take actions, including Night-kills.

Night Kill – As A Proxian Malcontent, you are entitled to access to your faction's Night Kill. On Even Night Phases (2, 4, 6, etc.) you may attempt to kill a player by PM'ing me the commandKill: Player.

You are partnered with Agatio (Inglorious *******) and may communicate with them in the following quick-topic:

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/bbd2Ga5sMPPvv

Safeclaims: Dora, Fehzhi (I suggest you do some research into the characters while constructing a fake-claim.)

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Dora
http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Feizhi

Win Condition: You win when your faction obtains permanent control of the majority vote, or nothing can be done to prevent this.

Agatio (Proxian Voteblocker) - Inglorious *******
Greetings, Inglorious *******! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Ivan: "Prox? Never heard of it."
Agatio: "That doesn't surprise me. Our town hangs on the brink of extinction. And the seal placed on Alchemy is responsible!"
Isaac: "What are you saying? That doesn't make any sense."
Karst: "It matters not! For soon, Prox will recover its lost power..."
Agatio: "We shall bring Prox back from the edge, and then all the people of Weyard will kneel before us!"

You are Agatio, Mars Adept from the town of Prox. Prox lies far, far to the north, among the snowbound wastelands connected to Northern Angara, and is at risk of being consumed by Gaia Falls, as the landmass of Weyard erodes away. For this reason, you have ventured South to light the Elemental Lighthouses and restore Alchemy, allowing you to save Prox from destruction.

A man of few words, you prefer to negotiate with your fists. Where words fail, bruises speak, and you have no qualms cracking some skulls to accomplish your goals.

Abilities -

Stun Muscle – On night phases where your faction is not submitting the night kill, you may vote-block one person for the following day phase. Limit of 2 uses per game. Cannot vote-block the same person twice. You may not use Stun Muscle and Guard on the same night phase.

Guard – Guard increases the votes required to lynch a player by one. Limit of 2 uses per game. Like Stun Muscle, this ability may not be used on nights where your faction submits a killing action. You may use this ability by PM'ing me the command Guard: Player during an applicable night phase. You may target yourself.

Night Kill – As A Proxian Malcontent, you are entitled to access to your faction's Night Kill. On Even Night Phases (2, 4, 6, etc.) you may attempt to kill a player by PM'ing me the commandKill: Player.

You are partnered with Karst (Inferno3044) and may communicate with them in the following quick-topic:

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/bbd2Ga5sMPPvv

Safeclaim: Garet. (I suggest you do some research into the character while constructing a fake-claim.)

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Garet

Win Condition: You win when your faction obtains permanent control of the majority vote, or nothing can be done to prevent this.

Blue Mafia Roles
Saturos (Proxian Resilient Debilitator) - Ryker

Greetings, Boatchouli! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Saturos: "What's the matter!"
Garet: "Saturos is extremely powerful. I could sense it when I faced him."
Ivan: "You have to be very careful when fighting him... We have to match his strength..."
Saturos: "Match me? Pah! You think you can match the great Saturos?"

You are Saturos, Mars Adept from the Town of Prox. Prox lies far, far to the north, among the snowbound wastelands connected to Northern Angara, and is at risk of being consumed by Gaia Falls, as the landmass of Weyard erodes away. For this reason, you have ventured South to light the Elemental Lighthouses and restore Alchemy, allowing you to save Prox from destruction.

You are Prox's strongest warrior, and together with Alex and Menardi, you successfully pilfered the Elemental Stars from Sol Sanctum and set in motion the events surrounding the rise of the Golden Sun.

Abilities -

Break - During the night phase, you may PM me the command Break: Player. Using Break will dispel any active affects that player may be affected by. This includes protective abilities. This ability may only be used once.

Resilient – You're strong. Strongest of all the Proxians, you're able to cheat death once, and only once. Doing so will leave you unable to vote on the dayphase after your BP is popped.

Night Kill – As A Proxian Malcontent, you are entitled to access to your faction's Night Kill. On Odd Night Phases (1, 3, 5, etc.) you may attempt to kill a player by PM'ing me the commandKill: Player.

You are partnered with Menardi (WashedLaundry) and may communicate with them in the following quick-topic:

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/Qd7L2kPqAuF

Safeclaim: Felix.

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Felix

Menardi (Proxian Spy) - WashedLaundry

Greetings, WashedLaundry! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!
Menardi: "Saturos... Are you going to fight them alone?"
Saturos: "Menardi, I can't expect you to leave our hostages alone and help me, can I?"
Menardi: "Umm... That's true..."
Saturos: "Besides, I want to see how much their powers have developed."
Menardi: "Are you sure about this, Saturos?"
Saturos: "Leave me be! Head for the next lighthouse--now!"
Menardi: (To Jenna) "Come here, child... Do you mean to defy me? I should teach you a lesson, child, but... Felix, I'd get your sister to obey me, if you hope from harm."
Felix: "Jenna, please... Just do as she says for now."
Jenna: "Felix..."

You are Menardi, Mars Adept from the Town of Prox. Prox lies far, far to the north, among the snowbound wastelands connected to Northern Angara, and is at risk of being consumed by Gaia Falls, as the landmass of Weyard erodes away. For this reason, you have ventured South to light the Elemental Lighthouses and restore Alchemy, allowing you to save Prox from destruction.

You are quite deceptive, and together with Alex and Saturos, you successfully pilfered the Elemental Stars from Sol Sanctum and set in motion the events surrounding the rise of the Golden Sun.

Abilities -

Espionage – Using your sharpened wits, you are able to target a player and identify one of their active or passive abilities. You may take this action by sending me the command Espionage: Player during the night phase. This ability may only be used twice.

Night Kill – As A Proxian Malcontent, you are entitled to access to your faction's Night Kill. On Odd Night Phases (1, 3, 5, etc.) you may attempt to kill a player by PM'ing me the commandKill: Player.

You are partnered with Saturos (Boatchouli) and may communicate with them in the following quick-topic:

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/Qd7L2kPqAuF

Safeclaim: Jenna.

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Jenna

Win Condition: You win when your faction obtains permanent control of the majority vote, or nothing can be done to prevent this

Alex (Independent Godlike Dudebro) - Furio Tigre
Greetings, NAME! Welcome to Golden Sun: The Lost Age Mafia!

Jenna: "Alex, why do you want to see the beacon lit so badly?"
Alex: "Oh, so it's my turn to answer questions, is it? Once, Alchemy was commonplace throughout this world... With its power, mankind worked wonders across the land..."
Kraden: "The lost age of man..."
Alex: "I want to see that world restored once again, and..."
Jenna: "And what, Alex?"
Alex: "We've spoken long enough already. Let us continue this another time."

You are Alex, Mercury Adept from the town of Imil. Along with Mia, you are two of the few remaining descendants of the Mercury clan, bearers of Water psynergy. Tasked to protect the Mercury Lighthouse, only yourself and Mia may enter it. But where she is kind and benevolent, you have become consumed by your lust for power.

Working behind the scenes, you wish for nothing more than to obtain limitless power. The power of Alchemy. The sealed power of the Golden Sun, born when the energy from the four Elemental Lighthouses converges above Mt. Aleph. Having stolen the elemental stars from Sol Sanctum, you now possess what you need to finally light the towers and become a God.

You only require the time to do so.

Abilities -

Mastery – The most powerful adept alive, you have achieved a mastery of psynergy not seen in thousands of years, capable of performing feats no other Adept can match. You begin the game with a single power, Warp, and will receive new powers as you light each Lighthouse, beginning at the end of the SECOND day phase.

Warp – You have achieved mastery of a unique spell, the Warp. This spell allows you to control the location of yourself and others, and using Warp will render you immune to all Night Actions for a single night phase. You may only perform Warp once.

Geyser (Received End of D2) – You have gained access to Geyser, a powerful Mercury psynergy. By creating a powerful jet of water beneath your target, you are able to launch them high into the air. While launched, they will be removed from the game and flip as ???. They will impact the ground one full cycle after using this ability. (If you launch someone on N2, they will die at the end of N3.) They cannot be targeted by actions while they are launched, but if they are protected on the night you use Geyser, they will return to the game when they land. This ability may only be used once.

Mercury's Blessing (Received End of D2) – The light of Mercury has filled you with great power. Mercury's Blessing ensures that you will have the strength to survive a single lethal action, no matter the severity of the action.

Haunt (Received End of D3) – The light of Venus has given you the ability to use Haunt. During the night phase, you may choose a player. The selected player will be afflicted by a curse, giving any active abilities they may have a 50% chance of failure. This curse will last for two night phases, and may only be used once.

Impact (Received End of D4) – The light of Jupiter has granted you the ability to use Impact. During the night phase, you may choose a player. (You may not select yourself.) That player's vote will count as two votes for the following day phase. You may only use this ability once.
Safeclaim: Piers, Susa.

http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Piers
http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Susa

Win Condition: There are two ways for you to attain victory:

1. You are the sole remaining player in the game. (You win in a 1v1 against any other faction)
  2. You survive until the end of Day 6, allowing you to attain the power of the Golden Sun and exit the game the victor.
Alright, time for set-up comments.

Firstly, my original "core" design for this set-up emerged as Skies of Arcadia did, which was built around an Indy role. In this case, it was Alex and my lighthouse concept. I wanted the roles and game flow to mirror the story as much as possible.
On Town Roles

Isaac - Reaaaaally wanted to make this a vigilante role, but it would've added even more swing in an already swingy set-up. Instead I opted for a "choose your class" type of role, with abilities representing each available element of Djinn. Retreat (Venus), Guard (Mars), Impact (Jupiter), Frost (Mercury).
Additionally, each and every ability they had is DIRECTLY cloned from a scum role in the game. Retreat is a duplicate of Alex's Warp. Alex also has Impact after Day 3. Agatio has equivalents to both Stun and Guard. This was part of what I had in the way of massclaim deterrent as a means of breaking the game, because scum and town share a lot of roles and similarities, as well as most scum having strong character safeclaims.
It does make claiming more dangerous, which was partially by design to discourage players operating solely on claim's perspective. I regret that this ended up being harder on mafia than I had thought it would be, which he pointed out to me during D4 or 5. I didn't give mafia ROLE safe-claims, which made things more difficult for them.

While I see where he was coming from, and I can agree and admit it was a bit rough on scum, this was a choice I made because I dislike giving scum a list of roles that AREN'T in the game, as I feel like that gives them an unreasonable amount of information about the set-up and allows them to do a lot of "educated guessing" to figure things out.

Claiming shouldn't be an easy way out of a lynch for either Town or Scum.
Kraden - This was a role inspired by the Deadpool role's "Eternal Chatterbox". Considered making it transcend death as well, but decided against it.
Ivan - This was inspired partially by the source material, but also influenced by Xiivi's Ranulf role from Path of Radiance (my first game as a player in D-Games), as well as OS's Delita role from FFT. Has a lot of potential for both sides to make plays, and tends to keep the players involved more interested in the game.​
As a side note for this role, it had a hidden buff not in the role PM that never came into play. If Ivan (Rake) had selected Hama (Kantrip), they would have had alignments confirmed to each other, as Ivan and Hama are siblings in the games.

Mia - This started out as a one-shot Doctor that was told it couldn't be role-blocked. (true) Encouraged some thinking about when and how to use the single shot, which essentially made it function as a delayed doctor, since the role changes to an infinite use Jailer after Mercury is lit. If the player had the balls to hard-read a protect night 1, they got to do so without the Jailer trait added from then on. Ruy played it well to use it as a roleblocker once scum was down in numbers, and I'm happy with how this role turned out.

Babi - This was one of my very unique roles. It's a Town BP that can die by being role-blocked, essentially. The first time Babi is roleblocked, they're voteblocked, second time is death. This is essentially directly ripped from Golden Sun flavor. It's a very powerful role that encourages an interesting play choice in the player. They can soak nightkills by playing strong Town, but also risk being Jailed (N2 onwards) which can result in voteblock or death.

One thing I DIDN'T expect with this role, is that it would be policy lynched. I attribute this to the ambiguous flips at least partially, but I'm incredibly surprised Ryu didn't want to budge off the lynch when 3/5 scum were dead already and a bus driver was alive. Especially given that Karst and Menardi were both dead, and are more likely to be roleblockers than the other two from an ability perspective. (Ryu: Did you think Ryker was a roleblocker after Swiss died? I'd like to know your thoughts on that.)

Bunza - Standard bus driver. I love re-direction roles, and this was intended to facilitate potential cross-fire between mafia teams. Proved.... mostly uninteresting, though it DID cause the Frozenflame death instead of Rake, which could certainly have changed the course of the game.

Hama - Revealing self-watcher. I don't typically like active investigatives on Town, because I feel things like Cop are dreadfully unfair. This was a bit of a compromise. Town has 3 roles that can be seen by this role, all 5 scum roles can be seen. Slightly in Town's favor. Also designed specifically as a landmine for the Karst role, which is told it is a Ninja, when literally the only track/watch in the game can see it anyway. Inferno HIT this landmine, but it didn't amount to too much. Kantrip made some tentative inquiries after seeing Inferno's N1 visit, but didn't do TOO much with it after that.

Master Maha - More misinformation. Miller with no cop. This role's primary function was to allow Town to combat the partial flip mechanic. Maha would travel to the body and get information every night, which helped it function essentially as an anti-janitor.

On Scum Roles

Agatio - Faiiiiirly interesting role. Can remove a vote, or Guard a role. The Guard option allows a powerful Town safeclaim, while the voteblock is a large risk that pays greater dividends the longer the role can survive.

Karst - Misinformation on the Ninja aspect here, of course. 2-shot role-block designed to allow scum a shot at an "extra" kill by putting a peg on Babi. If tcat had been vote-blocked as a result of a block from them or Ruy, they had a chance to make an inference, were Babi forced to claim.

Saturos - Key ability here was Break. Allowed them to remove any "active effects" from a target. This includes anything to do with votes (+1/-1/Blocks/etc) as well as Ruy's protect, which was its original intended use, as a 1-shot pseudo-strongman. May not have needed the 1-shot BP, but Blue team seemed weak without it and it fit the flavor.

Menardi - 2-shot half-rolecop, allowed scum to get some information about the other roles.

Alex - The lynchpin of the set-up, and the other role to interact with the lighthouses.
Skies of Arcadia's Indy had all its power frontloaded (other than its vengeful kill), so I liked the idea of a delayed power curve for the Independent. At the start all they had was Warp, so it encouraged safe play from the slot. After lighting Mercury, they receive their largest power boost, which is adding a 1-shot BP as padding, as well as Geyser, which is their 1-shot delayed Abduction Kill. The target is removed as ??? until they land, and then they either die, or return to the game if they were BP or Protected.
Haunt was a normalized 50% roleblock. By that I mean that it had a 50% success rate, but it was going to work once, it was just a matter of whether it was the first night or the second. Indy's shot at killing Babi. Saw no effect, as S&C died the same night they were haunted.​
Impact was a late-game gamble. By giving them the ability to pass out a double-vote, they can take a big risk. Furio considered using it, but one idea that never occurred to them is that they could use it to cast suspicion on someone ELSE. They realized it was a Jupiter ability that would look weird with their Piers safeclaim, but they didn't think to use it and claim Rake/Ivan (or potentially Kantrip/Maha) had received it to **** with things a bit. Even more high-stakes gambling fun.​
As for the Time-out victory... I understand that there is some salt over the fact that Town only mislynched Twice and lost. I myself wish it hadn't quite panned out that way, as I expected more cross-fire between factions than there was. Shots only hit Townies, and the game slowed down a TON towards the end once Ryu started blocking Ryker's shots, which bought Indy enough time to win.​
Town could still have won on D6 had they lynched Furio, but that would've required Ryker making a huge play, which was a ****ty position, as he was pretty much dead in the water. The game was over for him at that point.​
But when I look at the alternative of having a D7 victory or removing it, I didn't like it. I really liked the mechanic from a flavor perspective, and had the game NOT slowed down so much, D7 would be a pretty unreasonable request to make, essentially non-feasible for the player in question. Alex's influence on the rest of the game was ultimately pretty small, with only Geyser, Haunt and Impact having much effect. Warp was a timed BP/invulv with Mercury's blessing providing a safety net because Indy's losing off a random night kill is super lame. (Like KevinM being shot by Ryker literally because he was KevinM, for example).​
I won't deny that my set-ups can be swingy at times, but I create them to make a fun and exciting mafia game, not one that is perfectly balanced, because perfectly balanced games are boring.​
THAT ALL SAID...​
You can't blame the game being lost solely on the role. Town had things entirely under control until Swiss & Adum died, then some critical mistakes were made. Kantrip's lynch was completely asinine. Rake, I'm seriously disappointed that you bought into the temptation of hammer when Kantrip hadn't been around at all, and I also can't believe you thought Ryker was Towntelling from your gambit. The rest of your play was pretty good, but that was a series of horrible decisions.​
Didn't expect or agree with a t-cat policy lynch when you had scum right in front of you in Ryker. Town would have easily won otherwise.​
Had Town not had perfect play early-game, we'd probably have seen more cross-fire due to less Townies, and I'd probably be getting some salt from Town. There could've been a really bad position with something silly like 2/2/2/1 with Town essentially ****ed, but who knows. Could only know if I ran it again.​
Swingy is fun! If you don't like it, don't play my games.​

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I KNEW IT WAS YOU ACRO!!!
jalkjdlkfjaskljfkalsfdalksdjfaklsjdfklajsfkl

I had to tell you twice that I wasn't Nabe. The first time you were like, "Oh of course you're not Nabe, I always pronounce it as Gabe except with an N. You're 'Nabe.' (this time with an accent on the e)" And then I had to be like, "No, no, I'm not 'Nabe.'" And during this whole entire interaction you're cackling in delight and constantly checking on the game status like you're Lex Luthor and you're gloating over Superman who you've finally managed to imprison completely in a prison of green kryptonite. Except I'd be Solomon Grundy or some other hench villain who would be there by your side listening at your maniacal dialogue that is riddled with glee at finally conquering Metropolis, no, the world.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
For the record, I had BSL claim cop because I thought Ivan was the most likely role to be an investigative. We had no safeclaims other than the characters Felix and Jenna, so we had no idea what was safe to claim.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
We knew. The game was thrown out of your hands awhile ago. You did scare us a little when Rake tried to fake hammer you, because that would have meant we would be lower on the totem pole before you were lynched. Luckily, TCat and Rid**** (and less ostensibly RR) stepped up to the plate and said that you were capable enough of faking a reaction like that. We would have as well, but felt that doing so would make us suspicious.
I don't understand why people would act like I'm EVER going to be so far out of touch that I don't know precisely how close to death I am. That was hella bad play on his part. Even if I didn't know, I'm damn sure not pulling an Inferno.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
Meh.

I ain't even mad.

Little salty but I never do well end game anyway.

An I already knew I couldn't carry Town on my shoulder's because of it. Don't regret hammering Kantrip at all, I couldn't keep white-knighting his play and pretty much figured if I didn't Ryker would. I took what I thought to be the lesser of two evils.

As for Tcat, I had a gut feel it was wrong, especially when Furio was so anxious for it, but I lynched her anyway. It was a bad call but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

bad series of decisions or whatever, I'm completely cool with how this went down.

Flavor was great, my hidden ability is kinda meh. Having kantrip confirmed to me would have only stopped his lynch assuming everything else went on course.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
6 billion spoiler tags, but there it all is. Play comments later, that **** took like 2 hours to format and post, and I still ended up with a million empty spoiler tags for some reason.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh, also worth noting:

I only had 2 roles that transformed with the Lighthouses because that would've been a REAL cluster**** if every role (or even just every Adept role) changed.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I wouldn't say you're a game-thrower, Ruy, as you don't have mod-goggles. I just felt going into Day 4 that there was no way we were going to see two people lynched before Ryker or Furio.

Again, though, I do want to know more about your thoughts on the t-cat lynch.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
jalkjdlkfjaskljfkalsfdalksdjfaklsjdfklajsfkl

I had to tell you twice that I wasn't Nabe. The first time you were like, "Oh of course you're not Nabe, I always pronounce it as Gabe except with an N. You're 'Nabe.' (this time with an accent on the e)" And then I had to be like, "No, no, I'm not 'Nabe.'" And during this whole entire interaction you're cackling in delight and constantly checking on the game status like you're Lex Luthor and you're gloating over Superman who you've finally managed to imprison completely in a prison of green kryptonite. Except I'd be Solomon Grundy or some other hench villain who would be there by your side listening at your maniacal dialogue that is riddled with glee at finally conquering Metropolis, no, the world.
I died reading this btw.

I meant after the fact. I was like, "who would do this in DGames...probably Acro," lol.

Honestly, I was pretty happy things panned out the way they did, and then that Alex picture I posted after the hammer was perfect, hence the diabolical laughter that ensued. Additionally, literally the only way we would have won the game was if things went EXACTLY as they needed to, and they did. So many things could have gone wrong for our slot, like, for example, if Kantrip had lived to see one more Day phase, the game would have automatically been over. Among other things. Jesus.

On other news, that Green room was hilarious; nearly cried from laughing reading this post:

Swiss from Green room said:
Raz allowed us to use Skype voicechat to communicate with Rake - so I gave that poor boy the grilling of his ****ing life "YOU'RE SCUM, YOU'RE MAKING SCUM PLAYS - ****ING ADMIT IT". Then after 15 minutes of grilling him I claimed scum and told him I'd already submitted the kill on him. I have to wipe away a tear now just thinking about it.
I hope to everything that is holy that this was some how recorded.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I just wish I had known that being familiar with the flavor was basically required for this game. We're in a closed setup with an indy that has janky mechanics, and we were supposed to identify it's existence and win condition solely based on flavor.

Should just be an open setup, imo.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'd say that's an exaggeration, and you're looking at it from a tilted perspective.

Consider that in most games if that was a role and there was no flavor to support it, you'd just have been completely blindsided like you feel.

Flavor gave you an ADVANTAGE in being able to identify it, but such a thing was not REQUIRED in order to win the game. JTB guessed it immediately after he was dead on Day 2 and Mercury lighthouse lit.

You're not penalized for not knowing, but you get additional benefit out of knowing and being able to guess at it, just like other games. The only reason it feels bad is because said Indy won the game.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Like, seriously. All the talk about Alex winning the game just by still being alive? Never for a second did I believe that could possibly be a thing, because it was just too stupid. Yet we lost the game exactly that way. Something that game changing should be something the players are made aware of, not a secret mechanic that jumps up on you and the end of the game and snatches your victory away because you didn't give a **** about dumb flavor.

I'm not penalized for not knowing? I lost the game for not knowing! A role that wins without having to get a majority may as well be a Lyncher or a Jester. I had no idea this ******* role was present in the game, thus there's no way I could have identified it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wouldn't say you're a game-thrower, Ruy, as you don't have mod-goggles. I just felt going into Day 4 that there was no way we were going to see two people lynched before Ryker or Furio.

Again, though, I do want to know more about your thoughts on the t-cat lynch.
No, I did throw it.

Kantrip was a moment of lazyness and it was the worst lynch in this game by a huge margin. Never ever should have done that.

TCat, what she did Day 3 and 4, that looked grimy to me. She was trying to open lynches and look for what was possible. Not even OMGUS but just how she approached it didn't make sense to me from a town pov.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
The only reason I killed TCat was because I didn't want to lose the game just because she was a voteblocked townie. Had I known we were on a time limit completely unrelated to the majority, perhaps I would have played that differently. I definitely wanted Ryker to die instead of Kantrip on D4 though, That was ****ing stupid.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
No he didn't. The rules say that knowledge of flavor would be helpful in identifying mechanics of the game. So when I started seeing stuff like people having certain adepts assigned to them, and Ryu said his NA got upgraded by his lighthouse being lit, and the fact that it's an RPG so certain character's power roles correlated to their actual role in the game. All that seemed acceptable to me, and that's what I figured it was referring to. Little did I know that there was ******* indy role in the game that was literally impossible to identify, or expect without flavor knowledge. And on top of it being difficult to indentify in the first place, at the end of the day it's still a ******* role. It doesn't require the Indy to attain control over the lynch in order to endgame us. Explain how that's not the same level of bad as a Lyncher, or a Jester. You can't just say "well things could have gone wrong for them" because things have to go right for a Jester too. What if he gets NK'd N1? It's the exact same level of dumb, yet Jesters are frowned upon and nobody questions it.

There's a huge difference between "knowing the flavor will help you understand this better" and "yes, the roles in this game are slaves to flavor to the point of some of them being dumb. Expect it."

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Like, seriously. All the talk about Alex winning the game just by still being alive? Never for a second did I believe that could possibly be a thing, because it was just too stupid. Yet we lost the game exactly that way. Something that game changing should be something the players are made aware of, not a secret mechanic that jumps up on you and the end of the game and snatches your victory away because you didn't give a **** about dumb flavor.

I'm not penalized for not knowing? I lost the game for not knowing! A role that wins without having to get a majority may as well be a Lyncher or a Jester. I had no idea this ******* role was present in the game, thus there's no way I could have identified it.
But Ryu (with knowledge of the flavour) clearly and succinctly expressed to town that he thought it was a danger and that such a role could exist that would impose a time limit on the game. That's an idea he came to quite correctly by observing the imposing lighthouse countdown, and by extrapolating to possible flavour threats, and I can only assume he noticed all the nods to Alex in Raz' flavourposts as well. It was clear from the start that this game was inherently linked to its flavour, not just a painted setup, and you should absolutely have listened to flavour arguments as a result (if not investigating it on your own).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm interested in hearing the opinion of other players on that, for the record.

Inferno did a great job of coming up a claim so plausible I would've actually used it as a role. Didn't get to use it, but still.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm interested in hearing the opinion of other players on that, for the record.

Inferno did a great job of coming up a claim so plausible I would've actually used it as a role. Didn't get to use it, but still.
If VTs are in the game, I wouldn't give them jack and tell them to figure it out.

If it was an all PR game, I would give them something to work with.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Ruy hit the nail on the head. I'm comfortable with fakeclaiming, it's my favourite part of scum roles. But I was stumped. Without a sudden idea from Bard at zero hour, we would've been dead. And it's doubly important in a high flavour game where Ryu will call out your misstep -- see both Red scum lynches.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ruy hit the nail on the head. I'm comfortable with fakeclaiming, it's my favourite part of scum roles. But I was stumped. Without a sudden idea from Bard at zero hour, we would've been dead. And it's doubly important in a high flavour game where Ryu will call out your misstep -- see both Red scum lynches.
Gheb/JTB wasn't lynched on flavor, and Inferno got gambited. Where's the flavor play in those...?

Top Bottom