• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to USA to play smash.

Zinnamon

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, I have had a life objective for about an hour now, and that is to travel to USA to compete in the APEX. xD
I simply live in argentina and have never had the chance to play against anyone other than my brother.
I suck as per competitive standards, but that's okay, I will go just because ever since I joined this website (5 years ago) I loved to play smash and see people competing at smash.
I am even thinking about looking for a partner to practice with over here on the regional zone.
Perhaps I am dreaming, it just sounds really exciting in my head.
Can anyone help me out with the apex deal? what are those qualifiers and those qualifier points systems and how to register/qualify?
Also, I am still thinking about wether going for melee or brawl, (or both, I am not going to win anyways).
I am better at melee ( I have played much more matches) but I have the feeling that brawl is much more easy to master than melee (as in, the melee pros are just much more difficult to beat than brawl pros).
Inputs support appreciated. :)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You don't need to 'qualify' for Apex, all you have to do if register online. Qualifying tournies for Apex simply means that players who do well at this 'qualifiers' gets seeding points, which means they get seeded better at Apex.
If you've never played in any tournaments and have only practiced with your brother, then...you're probably not going to do well. But that's okay, just go there, meet people and talk to them, MM some top players and ask for advice, etc etc.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I know this is late coming in, and I don't know much about you, but I want to tell you straight up that you might get discouraged if you were to go to Apex. You'll be investing a lot of money into this, and I know I've seen other beginner Smashers never take the game seriously after getting a serious whipping by attending a National event.

Go online first, learn the match ups, learn how people play their characters and get better. From there, you can get an understanding of where you stand. After that, if you still want to go to Apex, good luck.

Zinnamon

Smash Cadet
I know this is late coming in, and I don't know much about you, but I want to tell you straight up that you might get discouraged if you were to go to Apex. You'll be investing a lot of money into this, and I know I've seen other beginner Smashers never take the game seriously after getting a serious whipping by attending a National event.

Go online first, learn the match ups, learn how people play their characters and get better. From there, you can get an understanding of where you stand. After that, if you still want to go to Apex, good luck.
Not late at all, I've got six months to train, prepare and save money.
Getting discouraged? Why because I will loose? Of course I will. That's what I am registering into the event for, to get my *** kicked. I suppose the most games I'll play will be friendlies against other scrubs, but the tournaments are really cheap when opposed to plane ticket and hotel costs..
What do you mean when you "never take the game seriously after getting a serious whipping"
I have tried online before but I find lag too disrupting and I play much much better in melee (I know I know I'd still get my *** kicked, but my objective can be not getting 4stocked).
Where in the US were you planning on going to?
Apex is held in New Burnswick,New Jersey.

So New Burnswick, New Jersey

allshort17

Smash Ace
I really like your attitude about this. I wish more people had this too. But, theeboredone is right. You know you are going to lose, but what he is trying to get you to realize is that your are going to get whooped like never before if you go. Like 2/3 stocked in pools by everyone. I'm happy you want to learn and get better at the game, but for your first tournament this is a lot of commitment. You should possibly consider going to a closer country. Chile has a pretty strong scene. Also, does Argentina not have tournaments? You should start going to those first.

But, by all means follow your dreams. Go to America, especially if you want to see other sights outside of the tournament. See the greatness of APEX (I haven't been either and I want to go.) Just truly grasp what it means.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I really like your attitude about this. I wish more people had this too. But, theeboredone is right. You know you are going to lose, but what he is trying to get you to realize is that your are going to get whooped like never before if you go. Like 2/3 stocked in pools by everyone. I'm happy you want to learn and get better at the game, but for your first tournament this is a lot of commitment. You should possibly consider going to a closer country. Chile has a pretty strong scene. Also, does Argentina not have tournaments? You should start going to those first.

But, by all means follow your dreams. Go to America, especially if you want to see other sights outside of the tournament. See the greatness of APEX (I haven't been either and I want to go.) Just truly grasp what it means.
Man, I agree with this sooo much. I know i will get beat too and I am in the Us. But I still wanna go to the Apex qualifier tournament anyways. It's the experience that counts for me. And practice too. :)

Its sort of hard to tell someone's dedication at times. I run into a number of people who say they want to get back into playing or get better, then they disappear for a long time.

Anyway, people should never be discouraging a goal someone has in mind. The correct response would be giving support to it. Therefore, I say go for it. Heading to the states for a tournament is a lot more than just going there to play people. You get to meet lots of people, see new places, experience what its like flying all over the place, etc. There is a lot to gain from the trip I say other than smash and that is probably well worth the expense, time, and effort of going. Although, you still need to make the effort when you go. First tournament I went too, I never talked to anyone really and I regret. Every tournament now I try to talk to everyone I can. Great learning experiences for smash and fun times. If you make the effort to enjoy yourself (maybe plan to see some sights/places while your there too), then it will be enjoyable.

Now, back to the tournament itself. I have no idea on the details for flights/hotels. It might be best to focus on one game for the moment. Learning the other smash games gets easier once you already dedicated to one for a long period of time. If you are fine with learning either game because you enjoy both, then it would probably be best to learn the game you can get help with. If you know of other melee players nearby, focus on melee. You only have a six month period before going, but you can still improve by leaps and bounds.

Again, the first step should probably be to pick either brawl or melee and dedicate to just one of the games. The important thing is to find people to play. Your brother is a good start, but you might find yourself getting stuck unless you can get a couple of other people to play. Playing other people helps you see things in different ways. Maybe try replicating a tournament match with sets and rules one day if you cannot get to any tournaments near you. If you cannot get anyone to play against regularly, then practice specific things on your own and keep pushing yourself. If you cannot sweetspot the ledge in melee with marth or with jumps, practice it until you can do it. Look for new things practice on if you find yourself not doing anything differently.

This is about all I can think of at the moment.
Good Luck.

Edit: Oh, not sure if anyone else is like this, but anytime I get discouraged about losing over and over I remember a few things. Getting good at anything takes years. Success will not come right away to me, but I realize how far I have come and think to how much better I could still get if I keep going. The journey is what is the most fun, right? Its not simply about the end result. I enjoy overcoming self hurdles and getting better.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What do you mean when you "never take the game seriously after getting a serious whipping"
I've met beginners or even wifi players who would lose really badly when making a National tournament their first tournament. They get 3 stocked in pools, they lose all their friendlies, and then they get bored and leave. Money not well spent.

I think you have the dedication and "I don't care" personality to get through this. I don't know your money situation at all, so if you can afford it without concern, go for it. You seem to be an outgoing guy, so making friends and hanging out with the community will keep you from getting discouraged from getting your butt kicked often.

I think people seem to overlook this, but...the biggest enjoyment and perks I got from being a competitive Smasher was not the glory or desire to "win" at something I'm good at. But it was the ability to meet new people, make new friends, and overall just grow as a human being. I would trade away all my earnings and place "last" every single time if it meant meeting all these people. I hope you share those same feelings.

Zinnamon

Smash Cadet
I've met beginners or even wifi players who would lose really badly when making a National tournament their first tournament. They get 3 stocked in pools, they lose all their friendlies, and then they get bored and leave. Money not well spent.

I think you have the dedication and "I don't care" personality to get through this. I don't know your money situation at all, so if you can afford it without concern, go for it. You seem to be an outgoing guy, so making friends and hanging out with the community will keep you from getting discouraged from getting your butt kicked often.

I think people seem to overlook this, but...the biggest enjoyment and perks I got from being a competitive Smasher was not the glory or desire to "win" at something I'm good at. But it was the ability to meet new people, make new friends, and overall just grow as a human being. I would trade away all my earnings and place "last" every single time if it meant meeting all these people. I hope you share those same feelings.
Well, I am expecting to get 3 stocked so I don't think I'd leave unsatisfied.
I am not going despite getting my *** kicked. I am looking forward to that.
Oh yes meeting new people and such is also a great bonus, don't forget that I am going to a foreign country so I will probably do other things than playing smash, I was looking into Apex 2012 threads and it looks like some people shared their hotel rooms to cut expenses,
that seems like a great idea and if it's going to happen again I'll gladly do it.
I probably won't be as excited as I am now in 6 months but I am pretty much decided to do this, I haven't got enough money yet, but with so much free time I have no problem with getting a job for 2 months or something like that, I could also start playing poker again but... it's just hard.

Its sort of hard to tell someone's dedication at times. I run into a number of people who say they want to get back into playing or get better, then they disappear for a long time.

Anyway, people should never be discouraging a goal someone has in mind. The correct response would be giving support to it. Therefore, I say go for it. Heading to the states for a tournament is a lot more than just going there to play people. You get to meet lots of people, see new places, experience what its like flying all over the place, etc. There is a lot to gain from the trip I say other than smash and that is probably well worth the expense, time, and effort of going. Although, you still need to make the effort when you go. First tournament I went too, I never talked to anyone really and I regret. Every tournament now I try to talk to everyone I can. Great learning experiences for smash and fun times. If you make the effort to enjoy yourself (maybe plan to see some sights/places while your there too), then it will be enjoyable.

Now, back to the tournament itself. I have no idea on the details for flights/hotels. It might be best to focus on one game for the moment. Learning the other smash games gets easier once you already dedicated to one for a long period of time. If you are fine with learning either game because you enjoy both, then it would probably be best to learn the game you can get help with. If you know of other melee players nearby, focus on melee. You only have a six month period before going, but you can still improve by leaps and bounds.

Again, the first step should probably be to pick either brawl or melee and dedicate to just one of the games. The important thing is to find people to play. Your brother is a good start, but you might find yourself getting stuck unless you can get a couple of other people to play. Playing other people helps you see things in different ways. Maybe try replicating a tournament match with sets and rules one day if you cannot get to any tournaments near you. If you cannot get anyone to play against regularly, then practice specific things on your own and keep pushing yourself. If you cannot sweetspot the ledge in melee with marth or with jumps, practice it until you can do it. Look for new things practice on if you find yourself not doing anything differently.

This is about all I can think of at the moment.
Good Luck.

Edit: Oh, not sure if anyone else is like this, but anytime I get discouraged about losing over and over I remember a few things. Getting good at anything takes years. Success will not come right away to me, but I realize how far I have come and think to how much better I could still get if I keep going. The journey is what is the most fun, right? Its not simply about the end result. I enjoy overcoming self hurdles and getting better.
I am still in step 1: finding someone to practice with. If I find no one, I guess I'll just go a few weeks before apex and practice a lil bit and set my expectations; to not getting 3stocked.
What you said about choosing either melee or brawl is true, yes. It's sad but true, I should go for one. I have a very hard time when switching from game to game, I still L-Cancel in brawl and I don't jump cancel my grabs in melee, actually there's far more bizarre stuff I do like shining with falco on brawl when it's totally wrong. It's a hard call, I am "good" (efficient) at melee, but pros on melee have been with the game for 10 years, so the standard for the game is much higher, and brawl has been out for, well actually I don't know, 5? and of course the gap in skill between pros and amateurs in brawl is much much smaller than the one in melee, so I am torn before deciding, I will actually learn how to really play brawl,then I'll just go for my favorite.
Also, it is more than likely that if I go alone and don't know anyone I might get a little bit shy and close myself, I hope not, I love meeting new people anyways.
I will make the most of it of course, if someone's up for it on here I'll meet up with him and train/learn with him, if there's anything fun to do at all in new jersey I'll be sure to give it a go, if it is close enough to new york, I might pay up a visit there too.

There was this video where Isai played against some no name noob with captain falcon, he 4stocked him and everyone around him got really excited (and the no name noob celebrated) when he delivered his first hit after 2 stocks or so.
I never had the chance to loose like that, and that's part of the reason I'm going, that and playing against other scrubs. If anyone knows the video I am talking about please link me to it xD
Not only is there no competitive scene in argentina, but almost no one plays it, there was once this brawl tournament ( with only 1 TV) in some anime convention, it was ffa with items, that's the most competitive smash I've seen. I've posted in the regional zones to look for other argentine players, no responses yet. I have never heard of any chilean tournaments or any strong players. The closest competitive scene I know of is Mexico, but there's not much difference between travelling to mexico and travelling to usa, I might as well just go to USA. What chilean competetive scene where you talking about? Thread? Link? player names?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311722
Excited when I looked at the thread, Dissapointed when I found out m2k is banned and that was for last year.
Anyone know why he is banned?

P.S: How bad is my english?

I cannot recall many who have been playing melee for 10 years. At least at a decent competitive level. M2K is one of the few that come to mind who have stuck with it for such a long time. Speaking of which, he might have been banned due to multiple posts in a row in the Japanese video thread. There is a great variety of experience really. Ranging from like seven years down to a couple. Time does not really mean much if you spend weeks to months between playing people often. You sort of plateau unless you keep playing regularly.

Melee might not be a bad choice if you have problems finding people. A good portion of getting on your feet in that game is getting past the technical barrier. Building up control over a character is something you can easily do on your own. Since many things in that game you can easily mess up even if you have done it a thousand times and thousand times over. Brawl is a lot more forgiving in execution (especially with the huge buffering window) and so its easier to get control over a character.

I think your English is quite fine. Your usage of punctuation such as using semi-colons and commas seems a little lacking though. However, this is the internet and hardly anyone ever follows grammar rules perfectly. Its too much work to try anyway. You have the most important bit down in a language; using words correctly and in the right order.

Top Bottom