• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to tournaments

Cruise

Smash Apprentice
this is kinda directed to all the people who head out to all the big tourneys, even when they're across the country and theres another tournament somewhere else in a week that they go to.

how exactly do you guys go about it? i mean plane tickets are kinda expensive and unless you're taking 1st place at every tourney, dropping 200 bucks doesn't seem like a good idea.
more importantly, parents. i realize that most of the smashers are around college age, and they're pretty much independent, but what do your parents think when you're going from state to state every month to play smash? are your parents just that awesome?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
How do I do it? I only go to tournaments which I can drive to, reasonably. Since I live in New England, that's a lot, and some of them are big (Cataclysm, VLS, etc). If I had more money, I'd travel more, but not just for smash. We can't all win the lottery though, and I need to pay my bills every month. So I end up not getting to go to a lot of big tournaments. :(

My parents think it's weird, and probably wouldn't let me do this if I didn't live on my own. My brother only gets to go because he's getting a ride from me, and is also an adult. Sure, my parents might think that I'm wasting my life away, but how is what anyone does not? Since I don't live with my parents anymore, I make up my own rules. :) My parents can't say "you can't drive to other states every week". What are they going to do, ground me? :p

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
My parents, do not let me go to tournaments out of city or state, period.

I've always wanted to go to one of those bigger tournaments, but I'm just at an age where everything is a down side for me because of what I can't do (I'm 14). With my parents that don't understand me when I'm trying to convince them that I want to go out and smash at a big tournament, They tell it isn't worth it. I can't benefit from it. I'm pretty sure, if I would be able to compete in more tournaments, I could be just as good as the usual ranking player (But what I'm saying is probably bull, why would someone believe this).

As for what I know, I've gotten as far as I had with the support of my friends and neighbors. I can't go to big tournaments that are way out of city/town/state, but I can pay visit some friends to smash. I have also made some progress in my smashing with local/area/store tournaments. The summer of 6th grade for me(2004?), was the time where I had spent all summer practicing technical things and actually getting good at the game. Though I never have a daily opponent, I've made all my progress off CPUs and Training Mode. You're probably thinking, "what a scrub," but it was the truth. I had no one else literally.

It's not really the money that's in concern for me going, but just things that would get in the way suchs as parents. Parents want their children to be safe. Parents want us home, doing productive things. It's going to be a long 4 years until I can start driving unfortunatly. There were many big tournaments I could make, but my parents are just saying it isn't worth the time and money.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be a tournament going smasher. It has been my passion to do that but is has had many bad turn downs and hard emotions at times. After discoverying the fun of Smash, my life had been difficult wanting to be a competetive smasher and going out of my city, but not being fit. Not having things supporting, but things denying.

I do hope, one day, I would be known as one competetive player. This whole post probably didn't sound important, and you're probably thinking this is just another random post, blah blah. I really wanted to smash. I really wanted to be good. I really wanted to participate in big tournaments. But I can't. I can't deny it.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
My parents don't really care where I go to play smash the only problem is I live on the border of Oh Pa so to go to any real big tourny its a 1-2 hour drive once I can drive I'm sure I'll go to a ton of brawl tournys. Really its all about finding good tournys around where you live. hopefully with online play comeing into play we will see hybrid like tournys with some people at the venue and some at home

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman

I've always wanted to go to one of those bigger tournaments, but I'm just at an age where everything is a down side for me because of what I can't do (I'm 14). With my parents that don't understand me when I'm trying to convince them that I want to go out and smash at a big tournament, They tell it isn't worth it. I can't benefit from it. I'm pretty sure, if I would be able to compete in more tournaments, I could be just as good as the usual ranking player (But what I'm saying is probably bull, why would someone believe this).
Tell me about it. I'm 16 years old and I can't even go to a SSBM tournament. I missed a tournament in Brampton Ontario because there was a bbq going on in scarbrough(if that's how it's spelled), and my parents forced me to go to the bbq with them.:grrr::luigi:

Dragmire

Smash Lord

As for what I know, I've gotten as far as I had with the support of my friends and neighbors. I can't go to big tournaments that are way out of city/town/state, but I can pay visit some friends to smash. I have also made some progress in my smashing with local/area/store tournaments. The summer of 6th grade for me(2004?), was the time where I had spent all summer practicing technical things and actually getting good at the game. Though I never have a daily opponent, I've made all my progress off CPUs and Training Mode. You're probably thinking, "what a scrub," but it was the truth. I had no one else literally.

It's not really the money that's in concern for me going, but just things that would get in the way suchs as parents. Parents want their children to be safe. Parents want us home, doing productive things. It's going to be a long 4 years until I can start driving unfortunatly. There were many big tournaments I could make, but my parents are just saying it isn't worth the time and money.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be a tournament going smasher. It has been my passion to do that but is has had many bad turn downs and hard emotions at times. After discoverying the fun of Smash, my life had been difficult wanting to be a competetive smasher and going out of my city, but not being fit. Not having things supporting, but things denying.

I do hope, one day, I would be known as one competetive player. This whole post probably didn't sound important, and you're probably thinking this is just another random post, blah blah. I really wanted to smash. I really wanted to be good. I really wanted to participate in big tournaments. But I can't. I can't deny it.
luckily you live in california my parents are the same way but I'm going to my first tourney in appleton YAAAAAAY!

Roman.

Smash Champion
I just don't really tell my parents anything. I have my own car and my license so I just saying I'm going to my friend's house for the day and just go to a tourney instead. What momma doesn't know won't hurt her, she actually said that to me once. It's not that big of a deal and if you don't have you're own car/license, just find a friend or someone that lives close to you for a carpool. I'm sure they wouldn't mind that much, maybe just pay a couple bucks for gas. If anyone lived around me and needed a ride to a smash tourney I'd do it. =)

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
I just don't really tell my parents anything. I have my own car and my license so I just saying I'm going to my friend's house for the day and just go to a tourney instead. What momma doesn't know won't hurt her, she actually said that to me once. It's not that big of a deal and if you don't have you're own car/license, just find a friend or someone that lives close to you for a carpool. I'm sure they wouldn't mind that much, maybe just pay a couple bucks for gas. If anyone lived around me and needed a ride to a smash tourney I'd do it. =)
Lucky you.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I'm 14, but I've managed to go to two OOS tournies.

One of them I went with another smasher, the second one coincidentally fell on the exact day I was going to the state.

However, the second one, I arrived late and didn't enter.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Atleast now, I have friends that I can hitch hike with. Regional Zones for the win.

Still, my emo story was priceless....

Awex

Smash Lord
I play the Pokemon TCG competitively, and have traveled to Arizona (State championships x2, worlds qualifier.), Nevada (Worlds qualifier, States) and Ohio (Nationals) just to play. I also commonly go to the LA area and on one occasion, northern California (Regionals.)

Not the exact same thing, but similar enough. All I can say is.. Carpool. Find friends with the same interests and get a group together. That's the best way to get to tournaments. I've already done so to go to the Rancho Cucamunga Biweekly with 3 other smasher friends. I've only been playing with ATs for 2-3 months now, so I'm still pretty new, but the tournament scene is very nice.

yuki

Smash Apprentice
Well since I live in puny country Holland it's not a big problem to go to tourneys except for the fact that I'm 14. However there's a lot of good players here. So I can still play good smash.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Buzz and I compete together. We just drive to wherever if we have gas money to do it ;)

It's really fun. ^_^
I wished I had an awesome husband to drive to a tournament with. It's too bad I'm a male.

Carpooling really is great! Only problem is that, it needs to be organized and things get all messed up and not as planned.

shizzlee

Smash Apprentice
I don't know a darn person in my city who would smash with me. My parents won't let me drive out of town even though I have my own car now and my own driver's license, and I have relatives in the two cites where I have noticed from the regional zones where most tournaments take place in my state. I have never been to a tournament because of my parents really. I don't plan on becoming a real competitive smasher, but I always did want to play against someone besides the easy CPU or my brother.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
My parents don't really care as long as they know where I'm going and have means of contacting me in case there's an emergency. I've traveled from Maine to Maryland before with no arguing, and when I brought up the idea of traveling to Europe for Epita 2, they still didn't argue at all. I love my parents >_>

Cruise

Smash Apprentice
well that pretty much answers regional tourneys, which you just hop in a car with some friends to get to, but how bout those who travel cross country several times a year, like PC, Chu, m2k, etc.
my parents wouldnt mind if i drove my lazy self to places, but planes tickets, thats a different story

soap

Smash Hero
ya, my first year of tourneygoing was pretty-underground, but it wasnt too hard cuz i was at college out of town so they dont know what the **** im doing, at least im not doing drugs..o wait i am:psycho:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I am 14 and I have had the same problem, the trick is trying to get your parents into it, or ask while dad is drinking >_>;;. My mom said she would drive me to any tournament that doesn't make me miss school and is in the state. I went to INNsomnia with my dad, after planning very, very far ahead. They really are great fun. Don't worry, when you get a car, convince your parents, find an older friend and get him into it, ect ect you will get to go.

A great way to get to go is find a cool older friend who your parents trust and play the game with him for a while. And then show him the competitive side, support his playing, and try and get him into smash. He might end up taking you, this is great way because if it is your cousin or something your parents won't have a problem with him personnaly.

Waka_Waka_do_do_yea

Smash Journeyman
I myself is yet to do well solo until I dare go up against a human opponent. Which will probably never happened. Since I live in a country where smash isn't as widely played, or from what I've heard, not close enough.

I feel much the same as you cereal, cpu's are my daily bread and my only opponent. Unfortunately this discourage me and cause me to fool around rather then train my technical skill. That and my curious nature of testing out every little thing I have read about :dizzy:. Well I guess I just have to live with it until the online-service which comes with brawl is out.
duhh, guess ill have to live with it.

hows that for a emo story? Now feel sorry for me.

And to stay somewhat on topic. No, i don't think my parents would let me go far for a tournament and i would most definitely pay for it myself.

Top Bottom