• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to a tourney, need tips for....

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
2 vs 2!!

I am entering a tourney, and I am participating in the singles and doubles, and I would like to have some Idea of what I am doing :lick:

I am fairly good at 1 vs 1, and have all my tech skills locked down, and have fairly good mindTRICKS... Like baiting...

I just need some tips, like what to keep in mind, should me and my teamie stay really close in the middle and fight for the advantageous ground, should we keep them in the middle so that they hit eachother when we throw out an assault???

And how should we practice???

Any other tips are good, I CAN do what you say, I just need to know WHAT to do :)

Thanks in advance!!!..............................?!

Misty!

Smash Rookie
Well since you say your pretty good at 1v1 and don't know any team strategies I suggest you just simply play it as a 1v1, sticking to one opponent while your 'teamie' handles the other. I don't know much team strategies myself and me and my friend are going to a tourney soon as well (perhaps the same one? o.o), so that's the kind of simple strategy in mind, maybe not the best though.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hmm, you made fun of my teamster..

Anyways, I doubt it, you live in new jersey, but you never know...

Anyways, I hoped that would work, that was our plan, unless one of us is just getting combod the poo out of, or is being edgeguarded, I would then intervene..

ANyways, keep the feedback coming.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The best strategy for teams is to make it a series of 2v1s. Go for the person that dies most quickly on the opponent's team and try to work on things you and your teammate can do to save each other, that means not just stop an edgeguarder, but to be able to jump out and help the other get to the stage.

Wrath`

Smash Master
2vs2,I'm not realy good at thoes,but just relax and have fun.Tip,when there is just one on the stage during your opp. partners rcovery,hold nothing back,go at him.

If there ever was a 4player party match tourny,I would sweep up.

N64

Smash Champion
Get used to watching all players at once. 2v2 usually semi-devolves into 2 1v1s, but always watch for points where your teamate is in trouble and see how you can help them. i.e. if he gets knocked off and is being edgeguarded, disrupt the edgeguarder as best you can and try to help your teamate recover. Double team an opponent when you have the opportunity, like when the other opponent is being star-ko'd or taking a while to recover (i.e. samus).

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Also, while you might team up against one opponent, the other team may try to do the same. Don't let them overwhelm your partner. If who you're fighting diverts his attention to your partner, stop him as fast as you can. The same goes for you as well. If they try to double up on you, run. Don't try to fight them yourself. Moving closer to your partner is a good strategy when your opponents team up on you, allowing your teammate to get the other opponent. The key is separation.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well beside all of us telling you what to do in the game I am just going to try and tell you what should be gonig on in you head. The first and formost thing is RELAX. Don't get jumpy, remember your there to have fun! keep that in mind. If you can just do those two things your gameplay will be great!

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
The only real piece of advice I can give you is to watch all the characters.

Why?

Because if your partner is caught in a combo, you have to go disrupt it while keeping an eye on your own enemy to make sure they don't kill you while you're moving over there. You also have to assist your own partner in recovering/preventing from being edge guarded.

I'll let you know, team matches are really difficult. Normally in 1v1 I win by 2 stocks or more (at my school) but when we do 2v2 friendly fire on, I'm not as lucky, unless I'm playing Samus and my partner is Ness, where I can heal him with my charge beam and I live a really long time.

Seanson

Smash Ace
dont kill your partner. use spacing to ensure that you don't hit your partner if everyone is in a group.

figure out the best way to kill, bewteen you and your partner, and abuse that. me for example use falcon in teams, so if I see anyone over 100%, i hunt them. too many times do people live to be over 150%, sometimes even 200%... and that it completely unacceptable.

talk to your partner during the fight. dont hope he helps you, tell him "help".

Zgetto

Smash Ace
always try to look out for your partner.
when he is in trouble or is getting edgegaurded always try to help him when you can(and vice cersa).
in teams its more important to save stocks then to take stocks

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd suggest staying away from each other (team attack is ON right?) so you can split the match up into a 1v1v1v1. If team attack is not on, stay close to your partner and back him up especially when he is knocked off the stage and is recovering. This is the advice I would give you. If team attack is on, stay away from your partner because it's fairly easy to hit each other.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
One of the most important factors has not even been mentioned yet. Character combinations. A good team starts at the character select screen. Picking characters that help each other and compliment each other is key.

For example:

Marth can rack up damage easily, so picking characters that can jump in and kill is a good thing. Marth and Falcon ****. Samus and a space animal ****. etc.

Zgetto

Smash Ace
One of the most important factors has not even been mentioned yet. Character combinations. A good team starts at the character select screen. Picking characters that help each other and compliment each other is key.

For example:

Marth can rack up damage easily, so picking characters that can jump in and kill is a good thing. Marth and Falcon ****. Samus and a space animal ****. etc.

i dont think character combonation mathers much.
is more how well you play together.(that ussually comes with experience :p)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well I don't think that combination counts too much because me and my friend play Dox (Him) and I use peach and we're very good. Althrough my other friend who mains jigglypuff does good with my peach also.

Top Bottom