• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going in for the kill - A Lucas kill guide

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
A Stock is Worth a Thousand Percentage
You can sit around and do damage in a match all day and you won't win the match. As simple as this sounds, it's something that is often overlooked. Killing your opponent, even if you take damage in the process or even if it is at great risk to you, is worth it in the right situations. There are a lot of things to keep in mind when going for the kill.

Stale Moves
It's important to realize how stale your moves are. If you've been Fsmashing all day to rack up percentage, don't be surprised when it won't kill anymore. While Uair can be a great move to juggle opponents, you may also consider saving it for kills off the top because it is much easier to hit with than many of Lucas's other moves. Stages with destructible terrain allow you to regenerate your kill moves by hitting them with Dtilt, Dair or PK Fire. A lot of what you consider when it comes to stale moves is going to depend on the matchup, the stage and even the opponent.

The Kill Zone
The easiest percentage to kill opponents is around 80-90% range for many matchups. This is because Dair (depending on how stale it is) combos directly into Fsmash on most characters around this percentage. Not only will this often be DI'd incorrectly for early kills, but it often leads into easy edgeguarding. It is also relatively easy to connect and is hard to mess up.

The second easiest percentage to kill opponents is around the 90-110% range. This is the range that Dair will usually (depending on how stale it is) send the opponent onto the ground to be Dtilt locked into Fsmash or Usmash. Unfortunately, it is much more likely that things will get messed up with this combo due to terrain, DI, teching etc. It is not a true combo.

A more difficult kill percent is anything above 120% or so, especially for heavy characters. As percentage gets higher, opponents will more often be knocked out of Dair so that you can't Dtilt lock them. This is especially noticable for some characters. From this point on, although the opponent's percentage may be higher meaning they will die from any strong hit, they are more difficult to hit with kill moves. Lucas's aerials do not have high knockback and his smash attacks are all slow. From this point on, you must kill your opponent from a read. You are relying on them making a significant mistake atleast until much higher percentages when you can get them with a Nair to Utilt combo.

Low percentage is obviously the most difficult range to kill an opponent. Lucas can gimp with PK Thunder with stage spikes or just by hitting them far enough to edgehog them. This is going to depend on a pretty big mistake on the opponent's part most likely.

Saving Your Bag of Tricks
Because it is difficult to land kill moves with Lucas, you may have developed several mindgames to get them to work. But remember that mindgames are only good the first few times you use them before the opponent catches on. Because of this, you should try to save them until they will actually kill your opponent. This might include PKT2 tricks, extended Dsmash and Usmashes, Pivot grabs into Dthrows and well just about anything else that lets you get kills.

What's the Point?
Being a stock ahead of your opponent is infinitely better than ANY percentage advantage. Not only does it psychologically help you, it puts you into a position where you can afford to play safe and make fewer mistakes.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Don't try to kill. And don't think about stale moves.
Melee had stale moves. Doesn't stop the Jiggly's from spamming their main kill move, Fair.
Play to hit, not to kill.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I find letting kills come naturally gets me the kills sooner.
Said the Snake main...

Stale moves didn't affect knockback in Melee, only percentage.

Informed posts please!!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
No kidding? I was misinformed then.

I still disagree with your opinion though. Lucas is hardly analogous to Melee Jigglypuff. In Melee, Jigglypuff can easily get edgeguard kills by hardly hitting at all with her aerials which can be lead into even by throws. Why would she worry about stale moves?

In Brawl, conserving kill moves IS important for Lucas. His kill moves are difficult to hit with and his aerials are subpar for edgeguarding in most cases. As a Lucas main who has placed top ten and top 3 in multiple tournaments, I think my reasoning on this is pretty solid on this. If I had been talking about any character in Brawl, this would be in the tactical boards.

Thanks for the clarification though. Leave it to Phanna lol.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I use lucas too.
Think of it this way. If you have a safe spacing move, that is also your kill move, spacing is more important than killing. If you space, they can't kill you, or hit you. If you only consider killing, then you are taking away your spacing options and making your opponents job easier.
Don't get hit. That's rule 1. That's the main goal. Don't believe me, ask Fiction.
Snake's uptilt outspaces everyone of your moves other than dsmash, so if you need to pressure him to get him in a position where you can hit him with your other moves, use dsmash to change the flow of battle, followed by your other moves as the situation best sees fit.
Use moves to space and hit. Not to kill.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
No Toon Link just sits and SHDA constantly as his way of camping. They like to mix it up. Plus they know it's easily powershielded. I've played enough TL's to know. He can't out camp us.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Don't try to kill. And don't think about stale moves.
Melee had stale moves. Doesn't stop the Jiggly's from spamming their main kill move, Fair.
Play to hit, not to kill.
I thought that stale moves only affected damage in Melee, not knockback.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Lucas has plenty of kill moves
So you shouldnt worry about his kill moves getting stale
But I wouldnt spam side smash though like most new Lucas players do
Its his best KO move and varies on kill percentages
I find it easier to KO with Lucas when your opponent makes
a mistake or by edge guarding.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I find that I kill best with Lucas after launching them a reasonable distance off the stage and then using PK thunder to finish the job...

I need to work on my fsmash a little...

Uffe

Smash Hero
F-tilts also kill at relatively high percent. Anyway, like most people here already said, you shouldn't worry about stale moves. If you mix up your game, you're bound to have a fresh KO attack again. Don't be afraid to use PKF, either. It doesn't matter if it stales. As long as it's doing something, you're good.

If you're on a stage like on Luigi's Mansion, Brinstar or Castle Siege, just jab at breakable objects to refresh your other attacks. Lucas doesn't have bad kill moves. Some of them may be slow, but they're still useful either way.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Who needs multiple kill moves.

The stick is like the best move in the game. Do you really need anything else?

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
U-Smash is a lot better than most people give it credit for. I kill a lot with it, and it works especially well in places like Battlefield where you can't be punished as much if you phail.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
U-Smash is a lot better than most people give it credit for. I kill a lot with it, and it works especially well in places like Battlefield where you can't be punished as much if you phail.
What about Battlefield gives Usmash the ability to not be punished?

~Zack~

Smash Journeyman
Lucas has plenty of kill moves
So you shouldnt worry about his kill moves getting stale
But I wouldnt spam side smash though like most new Lucas players do
Its his best KO move and varies on kill percentages
I find it easier to KO with Lucas when your opponent makes
a mistake or by edge guarding.
Fsmash is the best way to KO even at low percentages.
I learned if you grab release with Lucas Dtilt > Fsmash you can easily KO most opponets at 70-90 percent.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
@ HailCrest
Doesn't work on anyone, especially since the trip isn't guarenteed.

@Rocket
Why isn't this closed yet?

At best it's saying "lrn2play ur char. der".. I mean.. if it shared uncommon ways of setting up KO's (which there isn't much, especially considering Lucas can't really force his opponents into certain areas)

Top Bottom