• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God, Burritos, and Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
According to the theory of God, the universe will continue existing. This is a prediction with a pretty good track record.

Sure, there are other possible explanations, but this theory has just as good of a track record as any.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) There is no such thing as one unified "theory of god" for you to speak of as it's something intelligible. There are an infinite number of potential (and mutually exclusive) deities out there. If you are going to talk about it, then be specific. This is a trick religious people do all the time. You speak in intentionally vague statements, that way you can always come back and claim that things were said "only metaphorically" or that everyone else is just misunderstanding.

2) Many religions predict the end of the world. Not the preservation of it. Like tomorrow May 21st.

3) Predictions have to be verifiable and not vacuous. For example: "My god, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, prophecizes that each and every day water will be wet." Guess what? It's been true every day! Wow, you should really convert to Pastafarianism. http://www.venganza.org/

The mere fact that your prediction came true is not important all by itself. It has to be accompanied by a lack of expectation of that event. (IE: Provide some new information we did not already know) Don't make me go on some long rambling post about Information Theory, because I will.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The "theory of God" I'm referring to is the standard first cause scenario - God is the thing that created the universe/"being"/"infinite potentiality"/whatever.

What do you mean by information that we did not already know? Just because you have some other theory that predicts water is wet or that the universe won't end, that doesn't automatically invalidate my theory. My theory predicts just as well as yours. I don't see how you can establish one over the other as being "stuff we already know".

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because that's what it means to "make a prediction"! I refuse to believe that this is the first time you have ever been exposed to the basic rules of how science works. It's just not possible for someone who has had any reasonable amount of public education. All this stuff was literally middle school material. Falsifiability, theories and evidence, empirical trials, predictability, etc...

I find it hard to believe that I actually have to explain how the process of making predictions in science works. If you missed that lesson, then go read a book or something. If you're just trolling, then stop. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone here why making vacuous predictions are pointless and establishes nothing for the theory.

Predicting that "the world will NOT end tomorrow" is like pointing at a sleeping dog and saying "Play Dead! ... Good Boy!". The dog was not listening to your commands. It was just sleeping. Just like the earth is still here because no large comets have hit it yet. Not because of an invisible sky monster protecting it. Trying to seriously use that as an argument is just dishonest. It's not a genuine attempt to ascertain knowledge, it's just an attempt to bend the rules and dupe people who don't know better.

Give me something REAL. At least these wackos who think the rapture is coming have the guts to make real predictions! All I'm hearing out of the debate hall is clever word play and intentional vagueness. The fact that the phrase "infinite potentiality" was actually used seriously is pretty much why I've been complaining about philosophers. That phrase is meaningless. It's there intentionally so that you can redefine it to mean whatever you want at your convenience. You still haven't told me the slightest bit about this god of yours. I asked you to be specific.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Let's make a list, then.

Processes that demonstrably and repeatably produce information about the universe and useful applications:

1) The scientific method
2) NOTHING ELSE

If you've got something better, the planet is all ears. Science does not claim to be the only POSSIBLE source of knowledge. There just aren't any competitors.

I'm going to go with:

2) Philosophy.

As long as you grant me that one, by demonstrable I'm including logically demonstrable and not just empirically demonstrable, and two, that utility is subjective.

And of course the statement "only that which is empirically falsifiable is of any practical use" is falsifiable. One can easily imagine a counter example. Suppose you have some theory X which is unfalsifiable. Then you show that X produces useful results. Done.
What if I say something that is logically falsifiable, but not empirical falsifiable and that produces something I find useful, couldn't that count?

Also I think it's funny that when you step back and observe this whole conversation, none of it is being discussed within the realm of empirical science. Is this whole conversation useless?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you can't just cop out by saying "utility is subjective". ANYTHING would qualify, then. You could very well just claim that something has utility to you, and nobody else. Utility is the wrong word, here. It's about predictive power. Or put another way, it has to provide information about the universe. These two things are identical. If you have new information about how the world works, then you can use that to predict what will happen in the future in a way you couldn't previously. This is what theories do: they map a pattern on to events. That pattern can be followed to new events that haven't yet occured.

And yes, logical falsification counts. Not just empircal. Obviously if something is just simply contradictory then it's out. But that statement comes with a big red star that you have to be careful about declaring something false logically. It's a dangerous thing to do, in practice. Loads of times things that seem obviously impossible turn out not to be. So the burden of proof to call something logically impossible is pretty high.

Also I think it's funny that when you step back and observe this whole conversation, none of it is being discussed within the realm of empirical science. Is this whole conversation useless?
Don't try to play word games! Scientific Theories are things which are subjected to falsification, not conversations. What on earth would a conversation "within the realm of empirical science" even look like?! It's just nonsense. You're talking cleverly worded gibberish that at a first glance sounds meaningful.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Because that's what it means to "make a prediction"! I refuse to believe that this is the first time you have ever been exposed to the basic rules of how science works. It's just not possible for someone who has had any reasonable amount of public education. All this stuff was literally middle school material. Falsifiability, theories and evidence, empirical trials, predictability, etc...
I think you're missing the point.

I find it hard to believe that I actually have to explain how the process of making predictions in science works. If you missed that lesson, then go read a book or something. If you're just trolling, then stop. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone here why making vacuous predictions are pointless and establishes nothing for the theory.
Define vacuous prediction.

Any statement about the future is a prediction. You just happen to have some other theory that says "well such and such will happen anyway". That's fine - that "such and such" is one of the predictions of your theory. But it is also a prediction of mine. Science is a process of seeing which theories the evidence matches up with. You can't dismiss my theory because of that.

Predicting that "the world will NOT end tomorrow" is like pointing at a sleeping dog and saying "Play Dead! ... Good Boy!". The dog was not listening to your commands. It was just sleeping. Just like the earth is still here because no large comets have hit it yet. Not because of an invisible sky monster protecting it.
How do you know this?

What empirical basis do you have for making this statement?

Give me something REAL. At least these wackos who think the rapture is coming have the guts to make real predictions!
See, I don't understand what you mean by real. My theory makes a prediction. You say this isn't "real" because there is some other theory that makes the same prediction?

These two theories have the same amount of empirical evidence behind them (they match up with all observations). So how are you choosing between the two? How do you say that mine isn't "real" and yours is?

All I'm hearing out of the debate hall is clever word play and intentional vagueness. The fact that the phrase "infinite potentiality" was actually used seriously is pretty much why I've been complaining about philosophers.
Massive lolz if you think I was using that seriously

That phrase is meaningless. It's there intentionally so that you can redefine it to mean whatever you want at your convenience. You still haven't told me the slightest bit about this god of yours. I asked you to be specific.
someone obviously doesn't follow all those God threads haha

Let me attempt to summarize:

Science is the process of formulating theories and seeing if those theories match up with the evidence. There are certain theories, like the theory of God, that are unfalsifiable - they will match up with any observation. Now, according to science you cannot rule this theory out. No statement can be made about it.

You know what else is an unfalsifiable theory? The scientific method itself - (because otherwise that would be circular).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is making an argument from design.

This is (just one) example of speaking well beyond your understanding of science. Face palmingly incorrect.

And yes, I do have a great disdain for philosophy in general. Not only are your college courses laughably easy, but it is ultimately purposeless. If something can be empirically falsified, then it is a scientific theory. If it cannot be falsified, then it is pointless. Interesting possibly. Curious to think about. But not of any real world consequence. I have a disdain for philosophy majors in the same sense that I have a disdain for underwater basket weaving majors.

You do an awful lot of subtle, and I would argue intentional, word play Dre. Nobody in their right mind and of sufficient knowledge would argue: "only that which empirically verifiable is true". It is indeed true however that "only that which empirically falsifiable is of any practical use".

I have indeed read much of your arguments, and they all boil down to "Dre cannot think of a way the universe can exist without god. Therefore god exists."

You are not just making philosophical claims (whatever that means). You are making scientific claims. You are saying that some invisible sky monster exists, and it cares how we live our lives, and that it intervenes in the universe. This is not just some academic curiosity. Yet not one piece of evidence has ever been levied in its favor.
See I find this hugely ironic, because you've actually been more influenced by philosophy than me.

All the thoughts, ideals and beliefs that you've put on display are typical of the prominent philosophical schools of thought of our time.

You bash philosophy, yet are a scientisimist, which is philosophy.

You bash metaphysical discussion, yet hold metaphysical beliefs, just like everyone else.

The nature of your athiesm/agnosticism, your materialism, your sucking of science's **** is so typical of the prominent schools of thought of today that is a joke that you bash philosophy, because people like you have been influenced more than anyone else.

You're intelligent, but because you're so reflective of the time ans so influenced by the prominent schools of thought, I've debated millions of people like you, you all say the same thing. I don't debate to preach or convert people, I come here to learn, and there is nothing more I can learn from someone like you.

I say we just don't interact with each other anymore in debates, it won't be productive. I realise that it's easy for me to have the last word that way, so if this post angers you, feel free to vent your feelings in a responding post and get anything off your chest at me you like. Then we can be done with each other.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
It's really not quite that simple though. How do you weigh the impact of one series of tests against another?
You would compare the Baye’s factors.
Also one other thing to think about: how can you use Bayes to determine the gravitational constant? If we assume that outcomes are equally likely, then without any evidence the gravitational constant's prior distribution would be uniform on the entire real line - which is a contradiction since this would result in probability density 0 everywhere.
You should stop when you say “if we assume that.” Show me that the assumption is correct before you continue. Science is about testing our assumptions, not about letting them go unexamined.
The fact that the speed of light is constant was not known in Newton's time, yet it was one of the things that inspired Einstein's relativity. Do you disagree?
At first glance, I found that it was verified almost two decades after relativity was accepted, but my source could have been in error. Do you have a source for when the speed of light being constant was tested? However, this is irrelevant since the “counterexample” of Mercury at the time shows that your claim, that one counterexample is sufficient to overturn or invalidate a theory, is false.
Celestial movements. Day and night.

In fact, if we take our frame of reference to be the Earth, then it is the case that the sun revolves around the Earth

I don't know what you mean by "already known at the time" btw. The point of a model is to summarize what you already know - it has to fit in with past observations.
The point of science is to test your ideas, and that includes your models. If you include what you know into the model, which you would have to in order to make the model consistent with the available data, you can’t then test the model to see if it is accurate against that same data. What you have just shown is that the geocentric theory did not make any successful predictions, making it not scientific. I think you are proving Alt4’s point that you don’t know what science is.

You can make a model that fits any set of facts. Suppose I roll a die and the outcome is 1, 4, 5, 2, 4, 2, 1, 4, 5. Is there a pattern there? Can you model that pattern? For every possible outcome, the answer to both of those questions is yes. For the above outcome, the pattern is 1, 4, 5, 2, 4, 2, 1, 4, 5. If we were to roll the die again, this model would predict the sequence 1, 4, 5, 2, 4, 2, 1, 4, 5. However, it would not pass many tests, and those that it does would be on par to chance. This would be a very poor model. The only way to see if you have a good model is to make predictions and to verify those outcomes (i.e. science). When astronomers tell us that a comet is going to be visible on a certain night at a certain time based on physical law, that is an example of a good model being applied. Model predicts, prediction comes true, model's accuracy goes up.

"Predicting" something that has already happened does not test the model, which makes it not scientific. This is why unfalsifiable theories have no value; they make no predictions since they are consistent with any outcome, which means that they can’t be tested, which is the means we use to evaluate our ideas. This explains why even though some explanations are equally consistent with the data, that some are better than others. Those that are tested and pass those tests are better than those that were never tested in the first place. An unfalsifiable theory is akin to saying that the pattern to the series of rolls is the series of rolls, consistent with the data, but of no scientific value.
Let me attempt to summarize:

Science is the process of formulating theories and seeing if those theories match up with the evidence. There are certain theories, like the theory of God, that are unfalsifiable - they will match up with any observation. Now, according to science you cannot rule this theory out. No statement can be made about it.
Science is the process of testing your hypotheses, not about seeing if they are consistent with the evidence. If the latter were true, then science would be flooded with ad hoc explanations. However, that is not the case. Many statements can be made about an unfalsifiable theory. Because it makes no predictions, it can’t be tested, which is the method that we use to evaluate our ideas. It follows that ideas that go through this process are more probable and therefore more preferable than those that have not. Just because two theories are consistent with the facts does not mean that they are on equal footing. This merely supports the parsimonious principle that we should avoid ad hoc explanations. Making your theory fit the data after viewing the data makes it ad hoc and therefore needs to be tested in order for it to have any credibility.
The only way I can see that being true is if you are adopting some form of utilitarianism, in which you could scientifically measure the effect of actions on the well-being of conscious beings, or something like that. I firstly don't think that utilitarianism is true, but anyway the debate over utilitarianism would be a philosophical debate.
Yes, a form of utilitarianism. I’m not sure how much of a debate one could have other than semantics. You could also challenge the philosophical underpinnings of geology in the same fashion. This is exactly what I said earlier, that there is no more philosophical debate to be had that doesn’t apply to any other field of science. I don’t find this debate on semantics to be very interesting, which is as far as I can see is the philosophical debate between moral theories.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dre:

Thank you for conceding the debate. When I directly challenge someone to produce an argument, and the response is a personal attack using gay bashing slander, I consider that a pretty clear concession that you have nothing real to say.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
No, you can't just cop out by saying "utility is subjective". ANYTHING would qualify, then. You could very well just claim that something has utility to you, and nobody else. Utility is the wrong word, here. It's about predictive power. Or put another way, it has to provide information about the universe. These two things are identical. If you have new information about how the world works, then you can use that to predict what will happen in the future in a way you couldn't previously. This is what theories do: they map a pattern on to events. That pattern can be followed to new events that haven't yet occured.
Science completely fails your criteria here.

You've been defending the point of view that science doesn't declare anything true. Therefore science can give us no truth claims about how the universe actually is, it can't give us true information. Furthermore, it can't predict anything because it can't make any truth statements about what will happen in the future, seeing as it doesn't declare anything true. Even if it did, science is purely descriptive, it describes the conditions of the way things have been empirically in the past. It's never predictive, predicting the way things will be in the future because as we can never measure the future, we can never empirically investigate it. In order to make claims about the future, science would have to assume that the future will resemble the past, which strictly cannot be justified by science.

Don't try to play word games! Scientific Theories are things which are subjected to falsification, not conversations. What on earth would a conversation "within the realm of empirical science" even look like?! It's just nonsense. You're talking cleverly worded gibberish that at a first glance sounds meaningful.
That's very perplexing. You don't think that for instance, physicists discuss their findings with each other? What about science class? What about any scientific paper? Discussions within empirical science occur all the time, regarding new findings and interpretations and the like. Scientific findings must be communicable obviously, this is what I mean by conversing within the realm of empirical science. In this conversation, almost none of our claims have been scientific in nature, including the one I'm currently making. Is this all useless? Your scientism makes even discussing these issues impossible.

Yes, a form of utilitarianism. I’m not sure how much of a debate one could have other than semantics. You could also challenge the philosophical underpinnings of geology in the same fashion. This is exactly what I said earlier, that there is no more philosophical debate to be had that doesn’t apply to any other field of science. I don’t find this debate on semantics to be very interesting, which is as far as I can see is the philosophical debate between moral theories.
If all you mean by that is descriptive utilitarianism, then I'd agree, debates on descriptive morality can only be semantical. But if you're advocating this prescriptively, then I'd maintain that the debate is not semantical and that utilitarianism makes no objective prescriptions.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Hey Dre.

Give me one thing that philosophy has truly achieved which has truly benefited humanity. One thing that pure philosophy has brought us.
Science

boom.

Also the idea that other minds exist is pretty beneficial.

rvkevin,

First of all, PLEASE put some carriage returns in your post either before or after quotes. I can't tell where one response ends and one begins easily.

You would compare the Baye’s factors.
Ok, I'll stop trying to be coy. I think philosophical assumptions go into these.

You agree that things have to start from some prior to apply Bayes' theorem, right? How do you get this prior? How do you get actual numbers in for the other probabilities in Bayes' theorem?

You should stop when you say “if we assume that.” Show me that the assumption is correct before you continue.
Standard Bayesian practice. How else do you determine the initial prior?

Science is about testing our assumptions, not about letting them go unexamined.At first glance, I found that it was verified almost two decades after relativity was accepted, but my source could have been in error. Do you have a source for when the speed of light being constant was tested?
I read the book "Relativity" by Einstein, and it talked about how there were things showing the speed of light to be constant (something related to Maxwell's laws maybe?) - which led him to his ideas. Very philosophical book there, by the way. Einstein makes the philosophical assumption that the principle of relativity (laws of physics are the same in any frame of reference) holds, and then determines what he can from that.

However, this is irrelevant since the “counterexample” of Mercury at the time shows that your claim, that one counterexample is sufficient to overturn or invalidate a theory, is false.The point of science is to test your ideas, and that includes your models. If you include what you know into the model, which you would have to in order to make the model consistent with the available data, you can’t then test the model to see if it is accurate against that same data.
If a counterexample exists, then you know your model is wrong. If I have a model that says when I drop things, they fall, then a helium balloon shows the model is wrong and that we have to change it. Counterexamples are failed predictions.

Technically, you can only test against past data. You do experiments to get more data. But if your model doesn't even make correct predictions based on the experiments/data we already know, then it's probably not very useful.

What you have just shown is that the geocentric theory did not make any successful predictions, making it not scientific. I think you are proving Alt4’s point that you don’t know what science is.
What are you talking about? First of all, the geocentric theory is just as scientific as any other theory. It was eventually replaced by a theory that matched up better with the data, but that doesn't make it unscientific.

The geocentric theory successfully predicts the motion of the sun (rising and setting) and some other planetary motions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric
Wikipedia said:
The astronomical predictions of Ptolemy's geocentric model were used to prepare astrological charts for over 1500 years.
I'm not even really sure what you're referring to here - how did I show that the geocentric theory makes no successful predictions?

"Predicting" something that has already happened does not test the model, which makes it not scientific.
Except that everything has already happened by the time that you do your comparison.

In fact, this is incredibly confusing. You're saying if I come up with some physics model that doesn't match up with any past observations of the universe, that we should listen to it until a chance comes to do an experiment? If I predict that a new planet will teleport into our solar system in exactly 5 months, we have to wait 5 months to form an opinion about that?

This is why unfalsifiable theories have no value; they make no predictions since they are consistent with any outcome, which means that they can’t be tested, which is the means we use to evaluate our ideas. This explains why even though some explanations are equally consistent with the data, that some are better than others.
PHILOSOPHY ALERT!

These ideas you say, from where do they come?

Those that are tested and pass those tests are better than those that were never tested in the first place.
Yes. But two that are tested and pass all those tests are going to be equally good then, right?

Science is the process of testing your hypotheses, not about seeing if they are consistent with the evidence.
... and what exactly does the phrase "testing your hypotheses" mean if it doesn't mean "ensuring they are consistent with the evidence"?

Many statements can be made about an unfalsifiable theory. Because it makes no predictions, it can’t be tested, which is the method that we use to evaluate our ideas. It follows that ideas that go through this process are more probable and therefore more preferable than those that have not. Just because two theories are consistent with the facts does not mean that they are on equal footing. This merely supports the parsimonious principle that we should avoid ad hoc explanations. Making your theory fit the data after viewing the data makes it ad hoc and therefore needs to be tested in order for it to have any credibility.
PHILOSOPHY ALERT!

I'm not really sure what your point is anymore, since you've pretty much admitted here that you support Occam's Razor - a philosophical principle. But I'd like a response to the planet teleportation question.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey Dre.

Give me one thing that philosophy has truly achieved which has truly benefited humanity. One thing that pure philosophy has brought us.
Pretty much your entire way of thinking.

Even your dislike of philosophy and empowerment of science is actually a philosophy- it's called scientism.

It's so funny when scientists bash philosophy, because they all hold philosophical principles.

It's so funny when scientists

:phone:

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Ballin, before I respond to your latest post, could you answer this set of questions? I think it would clarify a lot since I don't think the philosophy/mathematical/science distinction that you make is clear.

What is it that you are referring to as philosophy and science?

What is philosophy's method for evaluating claims?

Do you think that mathematics is a subset of philosophy? If there is any overlap, how beneficial do you think the part of philosophy is that excludes science and math? For example, is X+0=X a philosophical assumption? Is it justified based on philosophical or empirical grounds?

Do you think that mathematics is justified empirically?

If mathematics is not empirically justified, then how is it justified? For example, how do justify the claim that 2+2=4? How would you demonstrate to someone else the truth of this claim?
underdog said:
But if you're advocating this prescriptively, then I'd maintain that the debate is not semantical and that utilitarianism makes no objective prescriptions.
I do not. I don't find the concept of "objective prescriptions to be coherent. The is-ought gap would need to be solved first. Until then, I wouldn't adopt that concept.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
rvkevin,

Please respond to the teleporting planet question.

Ballin, before I respond to your latest post, could you answer this set of questions? I think it would clarify a lot since I don't think the philosophy/mathematical/science distinction that you make is clear.

What is it that you are referring to as philosophy and science?
philosophy = search for knowledge. Kinda hard to describe in more specific terms, but there are very diverse branches like ontology, epistemology, etc.

science = search for knowledge about the universe using scientific method of hypothesis + experiments

What is philosophy's method for evaluating claims?
Evaluate the reasoning or evidence behind it?

Do you think that mathematics is a subset of philosophy? If there is any overlap, how beneficial do you think the part of philosophy is that excludes science and math? For example, is X+0=X a philosophical assumption? Is it justified based on philosophical or empirical grounds?
Strictly speaking yes. I think of mathematics as a subset of logic, and logic is at the least an extremely important part of philosophy.

The part of philosophy that excludes science and math - it depends on what you mean by beneficial, but it is interesting to talk about. I particularly enjoy paradoxes.

X+0=X isn't a philosophical assumption. It's a theorem. Based on the definitions involved it is true, just like how (Men are mortal, Socrates is a man therefore Socrates is mortal) is true.

Do you think that mathematics is justified empirically?
No. There are some people who support mathematical empiricism, but I disagree with them. I think of mathematics as statements of implications - so the axioms of ZFC imply Banach's fixed point theorem. I don't worry about justifications for the axioms.

If mathematics is not empirically justified, then how is it justified? For example, how do justify the claim that 2+2=4? How would you demonstrate to someone else the truth of this claim?
I would explain what 2 means (the 1st successor of 1), what +2 means (apply the successor function, then apply the successor function again), what equals means (is the same as) and what 4 means (the 3rd successor of 1) and show that based on the definitions of the objects involved, the statement is true. It's just shorthand for a bunch of logic.

By the way, people have done all this, to a much more ridiculous level than what I describe above. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica#Quotations

Wikipedia said:
"From this proposition it will follow, when arithmetical addition has been defined, that 1+1=2." – Volume I, 1st edition, page 379 (page 362 in 2nd edition; page 360 in abridged version).

The proof is actually completed in Volume II, 1st edition, page 86, accompanied by the comment, "The above proposition is occasionally useful."

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Science completely fails your criteria here.

You've been defending the point of view that science doesn't declare anything true.
Yes I have. Correct. This is the way it works. It's not just my opinion of how it works, it's not just my point of view. This is how science works.

Therefore science can give us no truth claims about how the universe actually is, it can't give us true information. Furthermore, it can't predict anything because it can't make any truth statements about what will happen in the future, seeing as it doesn't declare anything true.
That does not follow. You can make predictions about the future easily using only observations. It's basic pattern recognition. Let me give you a trivial example:

[HIGHLY CONTRIVED EXAMPLE] One day you might observe that a particular flock of birds has 71 members. The next day you count them and there are 72. Then the next day 73, then 74, then 75.

You might, then say "I think the bird flock is increasing in size linearly daily". You can test this theory. The next day the birds might be 76, then 77, then 78. So far your theory is correct.

This theory is of practical use. If you needed to control the local population of birds by hunting, say, it's important to know how many birds there will be in the future. A reasonably accurate theory will let you do that.

You can, of course, note two things:

1) No amount of bird counting can ever prove the theory correct. It's always possible that tomorrow, it will be proven wrong.

2) The bird population can't keep growing infinitely. It must be false, at some point. But that doesn't matter! It's not important whether it's true or not at some fundamental level. What's important is whether it's of any practical use.

Isaac Netwon's equations are wrong. Everyone now knows this. But we still use them all the time! Because they are still useful in the vast majority of instances.

Even if it did, science is purely descriptive, it describes the conditions of the way things have been empirically in the past. It's never predictive, predicting the way things will be in the future because as we can never measure the future, we can never empirically investigate it. In order to make claims about the future, science would have to assume that the future will resemble the past, which strictly cannot be justified by science.
Correct again. Science does assume "the future will be like the past". Science makes many assumptions we cannot prove. It deals in the real world, not academic fantasy.

That's very perplexing. You don't think that for instance, physicists discuss their findings with each other? What about science class? What about any scientific paper? Discussions within empirical science occur all the time.
So by "conversation within the realm of empirical science", you just mean a discussion involving evidence and how well they fit theories? I'd love to have that conversation, here. That's what I've been trying to accomplish all along.

Pitty no theist has been able to produce any evidence.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I think you are being too loose with your words. You have defined science to be a subset of philosophy. This means that any scientific activity is also a philosophical activity. For example, when Galileo pointed his telescope to the sky, by the definition given, he was doing philosophy. By this definition, gathering data would be considered a philosophical activity. Doing science would be considered a philosophical activity...Needless to say, I don't find this lack of a distinction to be very useful. If you restricted the definition of philosophy to solely include reasoning and not the scientific method or empirical means, then your definition would be much closer to mine. However, it would then impact one of the methods you gave for philosophy to evaluate claims, namely the scientific method.
ballin said:
In fact, this is incredibly confusing. You're saying if I come up with some physics model that doesn't match up with any past observations of the universe, that we should listen to it until a chance comes to do an experiment? If I predict that a new planet will teleport into our solar system in exactly 5 months, we have to wait 5 months to form an opinion about that?
No, being inconsistent with the current data negatively effects the prior probability. I'm saying that when first proposed, models have a low prior probability and in order to increase our confidence in them (the epistemic probability of the model), they must make successful predictions. This is why unfalsifiable models are not very good, because they have a low prior probability and are unable, by definition, to increase our confidence in them. Fitting past data helps, but it is not a requirement. It depends on our confidence of the data that the model does not predict. If we have a high degree of confidence in the data, then the model probably won't overcome it. If we have a low degree of confidence in the data, then successful predictions by the model might make us reconsider the previous data (i.e. perhaps it is an illusion, maybe it was a hoax/human error, taken with faulty instrumentation, etc.). Back to the original question, the opinion that we would have of it is that it is a remarkably improbable idea and until it passes an extreme amount of tests, ones that show (large parts of) our current knowledge to be incorrect, the idea has no chance of being taken as credible.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I think you are being too loose with your words. You have defined science to be a subset of philosophy. This means that any scientific activity is also a philosophical activity. For example, when Galileo pointed his telescope to the sky, by the definition given, he was doing philosophy. By this definition, gathering data would be considered a philosophical activity. Doing science would be considered a philosophical activity...Needless to say, I don't find this lack of a distinction to be very useful. If you restricted the definition of philosophy to solely include reasoning and not the scientific method or empirical means, then your definition would be much closer to mine. However, it would then impact one of the methods you gave for philosophy to evaluate claims, namely the scientific method.
Science is a subset of philosophy. In fact, for a LONG time "science" was actually known as "natural philosophy".

Look at the title of Newton's book: Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

No, being inconsistent with the current data negatively effects the prior probability. I'm saying that when first proposed, models have a low prior probability and in order to increase our confidence in them (the epistemic probability of the model), they must make successful predictions. This is why unfalsifiable models are not very good, because they have a low prior probability and are unable, by definition, to increase our confidence in them. Fitting past data helps, but it is not a requirement. It depends on our confidence of the data that the model does not predict. If we have a high degree of confidence in the data, then the model probably won't overcome it. If we have a low degree of confidence in the data, then successful predictions by the model might make us reconsider the previous data (i.e. perhaps it is an illusion, maybe it was a hoax/human error, taken with faulty instrumentation, etc.). Back to the original question, the opinion that we would have of it is that it is a remarkably improbable idea and until it passes an extreme amount of tests, ones that show (large parts of) our current knowledge to be incorrect, the idea has no chance of being taken as credible.
Ok, lower prior is one way to look at it - but that prior is really just another series of Bayesian estimations.

The fact remains that there is literally no difference between past evidence and future evidence. If I come up with a theory that when I throw my iPhone upwards, it will fall, I don't need to test it to have high confidence in it. That's because lots of past evidence has pointed towards this fact. In your words, it would have a high prior - but that high prior is based on past evidence.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ballin said:
The fact remains that there is literally no difference between past evidence and future evidence. If I come up with a theory that when I throw my iPhone upwards, it will fall, I don't need to test it to have high confidence in it. That's because lots of past evidence has pointed towards this fact. In your words, it would have a high prior - but that high prior is based on past evidence.
The reason why I state things like I do is to avoid several biases. For example, hindsight bias could become a problem if people only used what is already known to test their ideas. They could always say, my theory predicts X, Y, and Z ( where X, Y, and Z are things that have already happened) when in reality, their theory does not predict X, Y, and Z. This is common in religious discussions. People say that theism predicts that there will be a universe with life that can do calculus and an omnipotent being that wants to console our suffering by causing a demigod to suffer. Right, so a universe with no suffering would be evidence against the existence of God? No, its just that they are fitting their theory to the data, not making predictions based on their theory. You can't say that P and not P is evidence for your idea. However, this doesn't prevent someone from observing the outcome, either P or not P, and then claiming that the observed outcome was evidence for their idea. When you make predictions concerning already known observations, you become vulnerable to this bias. If you claim your prediction before the observation and it fails, you can't then retreat and say that the observation fits your prediction. So, how do you distinguish between someone who is biased in this fashion and someone who is not? The biased person can only successfully predict things that have already happened, and the non-biased person can successfully predict future events. This is why the prediction of future events is important, it makes the hypothesis that the model fits the data preferable over the hypothesis that the model was fitted to the data.

It also helps avoid type I errors. If you have to test your theory against information that is not already known, the possibility of fitting the data with a pattern that is not there is much less likely. Like I showed before, you can create a pattern out of any data set even if there actually is no pattern. Also, if you comb through enough data sets, you will eventually find a pattern. Is this a real pattern or something that appeared by chance? We will have to test it (find new information not known at the time) to find out. This is why repeatability is required for science. Take significance testing as an example; for every 20 compounds you test the effectiveness of for some effect, by chance one of them will be statistically significant. How do you know if it is a real effect or just random variation? You repeat the experiment. Every time it comes back confirmed, the likelihood it's occurring by chance increases and our confidence that the effect is real goes up. Repeating the experiment also makes you check your conclusions; otherwise, you would have an "answer" and may forget the competing hypothesis: chance.

As Feynman said, "The first principle [of science] is that you must not fool yourself--and you are the easiest person to fool." We could leave these features in, but then you have to deal with the competing hypothesis that the proposed idea is improbable, but you think that it is probable because you are biased, didn't consider competing hypotheses, etc. These are merely steps that ideas need to go through in order to determine if they are the result of human bias or if they actually are an effect in nature. Since science is interested in the effects in nature and not our personal biases, I think it would be natural to put those steps into the method itself.
ballin said:
Science is a subset of philosophy. In fact, for a LONG time "science" was actually known as "natural philosophy".
Yes, and words change over time. The meaning of words is justified by their current usage, not the usage of two centuries ago. Nobody from that time is going to benefit by keeping the same naming conventions, yet many people from today will become confused if you try to revert back to their naming convention.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The reason why I state things like I do is to avoid several biases. For example, hindsight bias could become a problem if people only used what is already known to test their ideas. They could always say, my theory predicts X, Y, and Z ( where X, Y, and Z are things that have already happened) when in reality, their theory does not predict X, Y, and Z. This is common in religious discussions. People say that theism predicts that there will be a universe with life that can do calculus and an omnipotent being that wants to console our suffering by causing a demigod to suffer. Right, so a universe with no suffering would be evidence against the existence of God? No, its just that they are fitting their theory to the data, not making predictions based on their theory. You can't say that P and not P is evidence for your idea. However, this doesn't prevent someone from observing the outcome, either P or not P, and then claiming that the observed outcome was evidence for their idea. When you make predictions concerning already known observations, you become vulnerable to this bias. If you claim your prediction before the observation and it fails, you can't then retreat and say that the observation fits your prediction. So, how do you distinguish between someone who is biased in this fashion and someone who is not? The biased person can only successfully predict things that have already happened, and the non-biased person can successfully predict future events. This is why the prediction of future events is important, it makes the hypothesis that the model fits the data preferable over the hypothesis that the model was fitted to the data.
A theory should test against all available evidence. As more evidence comes to light, of course that gives more information about the theory.

I just think the way you phrased it was confusing.

It also helps avoid type I errors. If you have to test your theory against information that is not already known, the possibility of fitting the data with a pattern that is not there is much less likely. Like I showed before, you can create a pattern out of any data set even if there actually is no pattern.
It's all in the way you look at it - if you believe in hard determinism then the pattern simply is the pattern (not sure if that makes sense).

But anyway, the dice rolling example doesn't really capture all the available evidence since we know a little bit more about dice and the world in general than that particular sequence of rolls - enough to say it's unlikely that the pattern will always occur. But like I said, someone who believes hard determinism could say that there is some pattern over the lifetime of the universe that does always occur.

Also, if you comb through enough data sets, you will eventually find a pattern. Is this a real pattern or something that appeared by chance? We will have to test it (find new information not known at the time) to find out.
Priors matter too though, a LOT. If the pattern is "my iPhone falls when I drop it", I don't think we actually have to test that to be pretty confident in it.

The dice example is a little strange because it happens to be one that we know (sort of) to be random. If I looked at planetary motions and found an equation that matched up with all the old planetary motions, we'd probably be a lot more sure of that, because we think planetary motions are not random.

As for the example of religion predicting the existence of the universe/whatever, I agree that that's ad hoc but so is any other explanation of the existence of the universe, since none of them are going to be testable.

Yes, and words change over time. The meaning of words is justified by their current usage, not the usage of two centuries ago. Nobody from that time is going to benefit by keeping the same naming conventions, yet many people from today will become confused if you try to revert back to their naming convention.
I'd think many would agree with me though as to the status of science as a subset of philosophy.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ballin said:
I'd think many would agree with me though as to the status of science as a subset of philosophy.
I'm not so sure about that. If you look at how the term scientist was coined, you will see that they were meant to be mutually exclusive. It was coined because philosophy was used to refer to "armchair philosophy." I don't think that this sentiment has changed, especially among scientists. You wouldn't get so many scientists disparaging philosophy if they considered themselves philosophers.
Priors matter too though, a LOT. If the pattern is "my iPhone falls when I drop it", I don't think we actually have to test that to be pretty confident in it.
I think you are confusing the prior and posterior probability parameters. For the example of gravity, the prior would be the probability of gravity is true before we saw the effects of gravity. This would basically be asking, if I were to drop you into a random universe, what is the probability that things with mass attract each other? We don't know if this is common or rare, it may be more common that things with mass repel each other, but that we can never observe such a universe because living things can't exist in it. The question you are asking, what is the probability that things with mass attract each other after we continuously observe things with mass attract each other relies on the posterior probability, not the priors. I think that gravity has a low prior probability and an extremely high posterior probability.
As for the example of religion predicting the existence of the universe/whatever, I agree that that's ad hoc but so is any other explanation of the existence of the universe, since none of them are going to be testable.
So is every starting condition for the universe going to produce background radiation? Is every starting condition going to produce gravitational forces? Is every starting condition going to produce X? If not, then you can find the implications of those starting conditions and test those by predicting the existence of a phenomena that was not already known at the time. They may not be testable at the moment, but I think that it is an overstatement to say that they will never be testable.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dre:

Thank you for conceding the debate. When I directly challenge someone to produce an argument, and the response is a personal attack using gay bashing slander, I consider that a pretty clear concession that you have nothing real to say.
Gay bashing slander? What are you talking about?

And it wasn't just a personal attack, I was pointing out the flaws of your argument by showing that your dislike of philosophy is actually based on contemporary philosophy, making it ironic and fallacious.

I didn't need to attack your specific argument because I just shattered your entire philosophical framework.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
...your sucking of science's **** is so typical
Is there something wrong with sucking ****, Dre? And you wonder why everyone thinks you're a homophobe. Maybe it's because you say homophobic things?

I also love the part where you say you won't post again, and then do.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's an analogy to how you put science on a pedestal. I could have said "kissing science's feet" and it would still have had the same meaning. That has nothing to do with homosexuality.

I responded because I was confused by your homosexuality remark.

Now we've cleared that up, if you want to insult me one last time, do it and we can be done with it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about that. If you look at how the term scientist was coined, you will see that they were meant to be mutually exclusive. It was coined because philosophy was used to refer to "armchair philosophy." I don't think that this sentiment has changed, especially among scientists. You wouldn't get so many scientists disparaging philosophy if they considered themselves philosophers.
I don't see scientists disparaging philosophy. No matter what anyone says, science is based in philosophy - (philosophy of science).

I think you are confusing the prior and posterior probability parameters. For the example of gravity, the prior would be the probability of gravity is true before we saw the effects of gravity. This would basically be asking, if I were to drop you into a random universe, what is the probability that things with mass attract each other? We don't know if this is common or rare, it may be more common that things with mass repel each other, but that we can never observe such a universe because living things can't exist in it.
No, now you are changing definitions on me. You said that all past evidence gets included in your prior. I said that's fine, because that's one way to look at it, and I'm reusing your definition here. I usually use the term prior in the sense that you do here - as the probability without any evidence, but you used the term prior to mean probability given all the past evidence.

The question you are asking, what is the probability that things with mass attract each other after we continuously observe things with mass attract each other relies on the posterior probability, not the priors. I think that gravity has a low prior probability and an extremely high posterior probability.
The question is whether I need to do additional tests for my theory that my iPhone will fall when I drop it - which I have formulated based on the fact that it has fallen when I have dropped it in the past. I don't think I need to do additional tests, but you apparently would say that this is an unacceptable ad hoc explanation.

I guess I'll also take this opportunity to talk about another philosophical principle of science - that results generalize. We've done plenty of tests in the past that demonstrate gravity for, say, my iPhone, but how do we KNOW gravity exists for my backpack? No tests have been done on my backpack. Yet I'm willing to bet that if I drop it it will fall. That's because we assume that results generalize to other objects.

So is every starting condition for the universe going to produce background radiation? Is every starting condition going to produce gravitational forces? Is every starting condition going to produce X? If not, then you can find the implications of those starting conditions and test those by predicting the existence of a phenomena that was not already known at the time. They may not be testable at the moment, but I think that it is an overstatement to say that they will never be testable.
Unless we can run an experiment to create a universe it will be pretty tough.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Yes I have. Correct. This is the way it works. It's not just my opinion of how it works, it's not just my point of view. This is how science works.
How can you say that is true? Their is no truth on your view, even making a statement about somethings usefulness is making a truth claim. You cannot escape making truth claims, which is why you've been doing it this entire

That does not follow. You can make predictions about the future easily using only observations. It's basic pattern recognition. Let me give you a trivial example:
Not really, you would simply have to assume that the past will resemble the future and that the pattern would hold for the future and you've already conceded that science is not capable of proving that and simply must assume it to make predictions. And that is what I mean when I say we have no empirical access to the future, we cannot measure it and it takes non-empirical assumptions to make predictions about it.

Furthermore, this is just preposterous, everything that you have falls apart here if you can't make truth claims. Watch, let me point out every time you make one:

[HIGHLY CONTRIVED EXAMPLE] One day you might observe that a particular flock of birds has 71 members.TRUTH CLAIM The next day you count them and there are 72.TRUTH CLAIM Then the next day 73,TRUTH CLAIM then 74,TRUTH CLAIM then 75.TRUTH CLAIM

You might, then say "I think the bird flock is increasing in size linearly daily".TRUTH CLAIM You can test this theory.TRUTH CLAIM The next day the birds might be 76TRUTH CLAIM, then 77TRUTH CLAIM, then 78TRUTH CLAIM. So far your theory is correct.TRUTH CLAIM

This theory is of practical use.TRUTH CLAIM If you needed to control the local population of birds by hunting, say, it's important to know how many birds there will be in the future.TRUTH CLAIM A reasonably accurate theory will let you do that.TRUTH CLAIM

You can, of course, note two things:TRUTH CLAIM

1) No amount of bird counting can ever prove the theory correct.TRUTH CLAIM It's always possible that tomorrow, it will be proven wrong.TRUTH CLAIM

2) The bird population can't keep growing infinitely.TRUTH CLAIM It must be false, at some point.TRUTH CLAIM But that doesn't matter!TRUTH CLAIM It's not important whether it's true or not at some fundamental level.TRUTH CLAIM What's important is whether it's of any practical use.TRUTH CLAIM

Isaac Netwon's equations are wrong.TRUTH CLAIM Everyone now knows this.TRUTH CLAIM But we still use them all the time!TRUTH CLAIM Because they are still useful in the vast majority of instances.TRUTH CLAIM
I think you get the point. Every single statement that you make is a truth claim. Now if science doesn't deal in any truths, then you either have to stop saying basically anything, or admit that you can have other sources of knowledge other than science.

Correct again. Science does assume "the future will be like the past". Science makes many assumptions we cannot prove. It deals in the real world, not academic fantasy.
But that's exactly the point! Science can't access certain areas that philosophy can. And if you won't accept the legitimacy of philosophy, you have to give up all of those areas of knowledge, and science hinges upon many of them. All that a scientismist could conclude is that it must be pure, dumb luck that science succeeds in predicting anything!

And you really can't make any statements as to the nature of the real world and whether science deals with them or not without answering metaphysical and epistemological questions. And you definitely can't do it without making any truth claims so good luck with that.

So by "conversation within the realm of empirical science", you just mean a discussion involving evidence and how well they fit theories? I'd love to have that conversation, here. That's what I've been trying to accomplish all along.
The topic of this discussion is inherently beyond the reach of pure science and that's why you've been in the awkward position of having to make a ton of metaphysical claims while denouncing philosophy as useless, let's at least be honest about that.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ballin said:
I don't see scientists disparaging philosophy. No matter what anyone says, science is based in philosophy - (philosophy of science).
Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow remarked in their most recent book that “philosophy is dead” with respect to the physical sciences. Neil Degrasse Tyson has echoed this remark. Richard Feynman is notorious for his denigration of philosophy. This is going to get stale quick since the discussion has devolved into semantics…basically, they would disagree with your definition of philosophy…and they would narrow it to what philosophers do.
ballin said:
No, now you are changing definitions on me. You said that all past evidence gets included in your prior.
I misspoke, I mean to say that you have some idea with prior probability X, and in the past it failed its tests (inconsistent with known data), then this negatively affects the probability (which was previously equal to the prior, but now is the posterior probability), so now the probability is less than X. When you start out, the prior probability equals the probability. As evidence comes in, the probability will change based on whether the evidence is favorable or not. The evidence will be positive or negative to this “prior probability.”
ballin said:
The question is whether I need to do additional tests for my theory that my iPhone will fall when I drop it - which I have formulated based on the fact that it has fallen when I have dropped it in the past. I don't think I need to do additional tests, but you apparently would say that this is an unacceptable ad hoc explanation.
Since when is gravity ad hoc? It has been extensively tested and has always succeeded. It is a prime example of a model that has been tested so much that our confidence borderlines certainty, which makes it a really good model. All I am saying is that “predicting” the past data is not sufficient. For example, an omnipotent god who makes the world exactly how we just observed it. If we only argued from past data, this hypothesis would technically be confirmed. If the past data turns out somewhat unexpected (it was mistake, hoaxed, etc.), then a different omnipotent god would be the hypothesis. There would be a different god with different vision of how he wants the world to unravel for every possible world with new evidence confirming some god’s and disconfirming others. By predicting future events (whether the prediction was made and (dis)confirmed in the past is irrelevant, as long as the prediction points to the future), you avoid these ad hoc explanations. I think we are on the same page here, so I won’t push this any further.
ballin said:
I guess I'll also take this opportunity to talk about another philosophical principle of science - that results generalize. We've done plenty of tests in the past that demonstrate gravity for, say, my iPhone, but how do we KNOW gravity exists for my backpack? No tests have been done on my backpack. Yet I'm willing to bet that if I drop it, it will fall. That's because we assume that results generalize to other objects.
I don’t recognize this principle. We have a theory of gravity that things with mass attract each other. This theory is very well tested so we have a great deal of confidence in it. Your backpack has mass, so it will be attracted to the mass of the Earth. Now, does this generalize to objects that don’t have mass? No. Now, if you are testing a theory that has conditions that generally applies to things and it is a successful theory, then of course it is going to apply to things generally. If it didn’t it wouldn’t be the same model. This has nothing to do with a principle that results generalize, it has to do with the specific hypothesis that you are testing.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Underdogs:

I think we were just dealing with some different definitions of some terms, here. I don't actually think there's much we disagree about. Let me try to explain...

You're using the phrase "truth claim" to mean roughly "any statement about how the world is". That's not how I intend it. I simply mean that science always maintains healthy skepticism. That science never declares something True (with a capital T) and therefore beyond skepticism. It does declare things "true" (with a lower case t) all the time, which means provisionally true. Or "true" until something better comes along. The difference should be clear. But by your standard, you are right to include everything you highlighted as a "truth claim".

In my contrived bird example, each measurement of birds was an observation. We can state that there were 76 birds on day X. Then you might interject and say: "Well, how do you KNOW that there were that many birds?"

A reasonable question! One that has to be taken seriously. The short answer is: "If your requirement for 'KNOW' is absolute metaphysical certainty, then no, we simply cannot know." We can mitigate this fact, however. This is why openness is so important in science. It allows readers of your work to verify your results on their own.

Again: Science deals in the real world. When we say something is "true" it really means: "Highly certain". If your takeaway from this is "HA! Science has no metaphysical footing! Therefore the whole thing is invalid!" then that's just absurd. If that's how you feel, you're perfectly welcome to turn of your PC, stop taking prescription medication, stop driving cars, and stop using everything else science has provided.

What we disagree about is whether this discussion is "scientific" or "philosophic" (to put it bluntly)

If you make a statement of fact about the nature of the universe, this is clearly a scientific statement. If your god impacts the world, if it interacts with the universe actively, then you are making scientific claims which need to be substantiated.

If not, then sure, there's no need for evidence. (Namely, because there can _be_ no evidence. What I've been trying to say about falsification all along) You can make all the purely metaphysical arguments all you want for or against it. I'll sit that argument out and let you guys go at it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow remarked in their most recent book that “philosophy is dead” with respect to the physical sciences. Neil Degrasse Tyson has echoed this remark. Richard Feynman is notorious for his denigration of philosophy. This is going to get stale quick since the discussion has devolved into semantics…basically, they would disagree with your definition of philosophy…and they would narrow it to what philosophers do.
Maybe they don't understand what philosophers do. Very few philosophers make claims that have to do with science, so I'm not sure why they would have any authority about philosophy in general anyway.

It's fine on the other hand to disagree with certain philosophical arguments and whatnot.

I misspoke, I mean to say that you have some idea with prior probability X, and in the past it failed its tests (inconsistent with known data), then this negatively affects the probability (which was previously equal to the prior, but now is the posterior probability), so now the probability is less than X. When you start out, the prior probability equals the probability. As evidence comes in, the probability will change based on whether the evidence is favorable or not. The evidence will be positive or negative to this “prior probability.”
It's all in how you look at it. But it's still true that past evidence matters just as much as future evidence. I mean, future evidence literally becomes past evidence as soon as you know it.

Since when is gravity ad hoc? It has been extensively tested and has always succeeded. It is a prime example of a model that has been tested so much that our confidence borderlines certainty, which makes it a really good model. All I am saying is that “predicting” the past data is not sufficient. For example, an omnipotent god who makes the world exactly how we just observed it. If we only argued from past data, this hypothesis would technically be confirmed. If the past data turns out somewhat unexpected (it was mistake, hoaxed, etc.), then a different omnipotent god would be the hypothesis. There would be a different god with different vision of how he wants the world to unravel for every possible world with new evidence confirming some god’s and disconfirming others. By predicting future events (whether the prediction was made and (dis)confirmed in the past is irrelevant, as long as the prediction points to the future), you avoid these ad hoc explanations. I think we are on the same page here, so I won’t push this any further.
I was using the example under the assumption that we don't already have a theory of gravity. Looking at the fact that things have always fallen in the past, I still think that increases the probability of our theory of gravity being correct even without future tests.

As for the God example, I agree that that explanation cannot be supported by any evidence. One of the things I am trying to get across is that there are alternative explanations for pretty much any occurrence. Maybe the real cosmic law of the universe is that the first 10000000000...0000 times you drop something, it will fall, but on the 10000000000...0001st it will always rise. But we don't believe this theory, even though it is 100% consistent with all past evidence and will likely be consistent with all future evidence.

I don’t recognize this principle. We have a theory of gravity that things with mass attract each other. This theory is very well tested so we have a great deal of confidence in it. Your backpack has mass, so it will be attracted to the mass of the Earth. Now, does this generalize to objects that don’t have mass? No. Now, if you are testing a theory that has conditions that generally applies to things and it is a successful theory, then of course it is going to apply to things generally. If it didn’t it wouldn’t be the same model. This has nothing to do with a principle that results generalize, it has to do with the specific hypothesis that you are testing.
Why do we think that all things with mass attract each other, instead of just things that we have actually observed attracting each other? We have observed that, say, a tennis ball tends to fall when you drop it, and we think that ALL OTHER THINGS WITH MASS tend to fall also. There's really no evidence for this over the theory that ONLY tennis balls fall.

It then seems for a while like all things with mass tend to fall, until we discover a helium balloon, which doesn't. Yes, we invented new theories to explain what's going on there, but we still assume that gravity applies to the helium balloon - it's just that something else is going on which counteracts gravity.

The point is that there is NO way we can measure gravity for all things in all situations. So we don't KNOW 100% FOR SURE that we can observe gravity in all those cases - yet our theory is that gravity does apply in all those cases. That's what I mean by generalizing results.

For another example, how do we know that the laws of physics are the same on Mars, or Pluto, or in another solar system or galaxy? We don't, because we can't go do tests there. But we think the laws of physics are the same in all those places - indeed, we think the laws are the same in any frame of reference. We could have an alternative theory where the laws of physics are the same only in certain frames of reference that we have observed. But we don't (well, we sort of did until Einstein's relativity. Einstein argued philosophically that the principle of relativity - that the laws of physics are the same in any frame of reference - makes more sense).

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ballin said:
I was using the example under the assumption that we don't already have a theory of gravity. Looking at the fact that things have always fallen in the past, I still think that increases the probability of our theory of gravity being correct even without future tests.
So merely finding a past pattern means that the idea is more likely to be true? I don’t follow your reasoning.
Why do we think that all things with mass attract each other, instead of just things that we have actually observed attracting each other? We have observed that, say, a tennis ball tends to fall when you drop it, and we think that ALL OTHER THINGS WITH MASS tend to fall also. There's really no evidence for this over the theory that ONLY tennis balls fall.
You have to look at the Baye’s factors. If the hypothesis is that only tennis balls have a gravitational force, then there is a mountain of disconfirming evidence.
ballin said:
It then seems for a while like all things with mass tend to fall, until we discover a helium balloon, which doesn't. Yes, we invented new theories to explain what's going on there, but we still assume that gravity applies to the helium balloon - it's just that something else is going on which counteracts gravity.
We can test whether helium has a gravitational force. If it didn’t, then there would not be helium nebulae. There are, therefore helium has a gravitational field.
ballin said:
The point is that there is NO way we can measure gravity for all things in all situations. So we don't KNOW 100% FOR SURE that we can observe gravity in all those cases - yet our theory is that gravity does apply in all those cases. That's what I mean by generalizing results.
Science doesn’t deal with absolute certainty. If that is your goal, then expect to be disappointed. There are only things that we know with varying degrees of certainty, with some that approach but never reach absolute certainty. Your comment about generalizing doesn’t support what you originally said. All your comment says now is that theories that deal with general concepts will apply generally. This is a trivial statement. This side conversion started with you saying that science has a principle of generalizing results, with no conditional attached.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
So merely finding a past pattern means that the idea is more likely to be true? I don’t follow your reasoning.
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. If there is a past pattern, it is more likely to be predictive of the future. This is because the future resembles the past.

Additional observations that conform to this pattern increase the probability as well.

You have to look at the Baye’s factors. If the hypothesis is that only tennis balls have a gravitational force, then there is a mountain of disconfirming evidence.We can test whether helium has a gravitational force. If it didn’t, then there would not be helium nebulae. There are, therefore helium has a gravitational field.
Perhaps I'm not explaining this clearly. How did we come up with gravity initially? We saw that some objects had a tendency to fall. Ok, now pretend that we only know that tennis balls fall - it's not THAT dissimilar from what really happened. Do you think that other objects are more likely to fall, given that we have done tests that show balls are likely to fall?

Science doesn’t deal with absolute certainty. If that is your goal, then expect to be disappointed. There are only things that we know with varying degrees of certainty, with some that approach but never reach absolute certainty. Your comment about generalizing doesn’t support what you originally said. All your comment says now is that theories that deal with general concepts will apply generally. This is a trivial statement. This side conversion started with you saying that science has a principle of generalizing results, with no conditional attached.
Random point: Science does deal with certainty on FALSE things, as I mentioned before.

More important response:

It's about why we SUPPORT general theories.

Quote from earlier post:
"Maybe the real cosmic law of the universe is that the first 10000000000...0000 times you drop something, it will fall, but on the 10000000000...0001st it will always rise. But we don't believe this theory, even though it is 100% consistent with all past evidence and will likely be consistent with all future evidence."

Any thoughts on that theory? Because it makes exactly the same predictions as standard gravity and matches up with all past evidence just as well as gravity - so it should be just as good of a theory as gravity, according to you. There's no reason to believe this over standard gravity, sure, but likewise there is no reason to believe standard gravity over this theory. All evidence points to both of these theories equally.

Maybe you'll claim that that theory has a lower original prior than gravity (which I agree with). But how do you know this? Certainly not from any empirical observations - empirical observations are part of the posterior probability, not the prior. The answer is PHILOSOPHICAL ASSUMPTIONS.

Also, one random question: When you refer to using Bayesian probability, do you refer to the approach of subjective Bayesianism or do you think there is some objective Bayesian probability model?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Random point: Science does deal with certainty on FALSE things, as I mentioned before.
How so? You can always question the validity of previous evidence. We tend to think that the evidence attained is very good, so it is very, very likely that it will stand, but if you deal with certainty on this front, then you will not be open to evidence of hoaxes, mistakes, faulty equipment, etc. Remember, absolute certainty means that there is nothing, absolutely nothing that will persuade you, including if someone goes “here’s a flaw in your reasoning.” In science, you can approach, but can never reach absolute certainty. To do so would be to claim oneself as incapable of error.
Quote from earlier post:
"Maybe the real cosmic law of the universe is that the first 10000000000...0000 times you drop something, it will fall, but on the 10000000000...0001st it will always rise. But we don't believe this theory, even though it is 100% consistent with all past evidence and will likely be consistent with all future evidence."

Any thoughts on that theory? Because it makes exactly the same predictions as standard gravity and matches up with all past evidence just as well as gravity - so it should be just as good of a theory as gravity, according to you. There's no reason to believe this over standard gravity, sure, but likewise there is no reason to believe standard gravity over this theory. All evidence points to both of these theories equally.
It doesn’t make any predictions. Saying in the future, blah blah blah does not allow the ability of being false because it is consistent with every possible outcome. If you were to give a certain date, then you would be able to test it. Suppose someone proposed that the sun will continue to rise for the next 100,000,000 years, but on the 100,000,001rst year (+ or – some margin of error), the sun will cease to exist? That would be a very improbable claim until we consider the evidence. Well, we do have evidence that all stars eventually die, and that the properties of the sun is not unique, therefore sometime in the future, it will die. We would have to look at the evidence of the lifespan of stars that are similar to our own and it turns out that in about 100,000,000 years (for example), the lifetime of the sun will expire. It also helps that we know a lot about the processes that make up stars and how that process leads to its own demise. We can test our theory of the stages a star goes through by observing other stars.

Now, what is the evidence that gravity will cease to exist? What is the proposed mechanism for this cause and is that mechanism only going to be present in 1,000,000,000 years? So, the theory basically states that mechanism X, which has never been observed (otherwise we would be able to demonstrate the claim that it neutralizes gravitational forces, giving evidence to the theory), causes gravitational forces to cease to exist (and that this mechanism will activate in 100,000,000 years), which means that this claim has not been tested…

Since untested ideas have a low prior probability, this one is no different. It would be like me saying that I have found the cure for cancer, it’s X. When people ask why people still have cancer, the answer is simple; they haven’t done X, so of course they’re not cured yet. When asked how I know X is the cure, I can respond, using your reasoning, that it “predicts” the previous data perfectly, namely that when people don’t use the cure for cancer, they don’t get cured from cancer. I don’t think it takes much to see that this claim hasn’t been tested at all. Basically, if you have a theory that X->Y, you can only test it when you have X (basic logic). If you have X, then X->Y is evidence for the claim and X->-Y is evidence against the claim. If you don’t have X, then the idea can’t be tested. This is because –X->Y and –X->-Y has no relation to the proposition X->Y, since they are both “predicted” by it. You fail to comprehend what it means to test something.
Also, one random question: When you refer to using Bayesian probability, do you refer to the approach of subjective Bayesianism or do you think there is some objective Bayesian probability model?
The way I have heard the term before usually includes private information. I would limit the scope of this to include only publicly verifiable information so as to reduce the ability of the bias of individuals to creep into the process. This would make it more “objective,” in the sense that the grass is green and the sky is blue. We will still be vulnerable to human bias, but there is only so much we can do to limit that. However, this only means that we shouldn’t rely so much on humans as data information gatherers and build instruments that aren’t affected by moods, which is exactly what science is doing.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How so? You can always question the validity of previous evidence. We tend to think that the evidence attained is very good, so it is very, very likely that it will stand, but if you deal with certainty on this front, then you will not be open to evidence of hoaxes, mistakes, faulty equipment, etc. Remember, absolute certainty means that there is nothing, absolutely nothing that will persuade you, including if someone goes “here’s a flaw in your reasoning.” In science, you can approach, but can never reach absolute certainty. To do so would be to claim oneself as incapable of error.
We can say with certainty that Newtonian mechanics are not 100% correct, because we have made observations that were inconsistent with Newtonian mechanics. That's what I mean. When you falsify something, you claim its opposite to be true. I agree that theories are never shown to be true, but sometimes they are shown to be false.

It doesn’t make any predictions.
Does gravity make any predictions? This theory makes the SAME predictions as gravity.

Saying in the future, blah blah blah does not allow the ability of being false because it is consistent with every possible outcome.
No, it's consistent with every possible outcome where gravity also holds - this is very different from every possible outcome. Unless you are claiming that gravity is the absolute truth.

Now, what is the evidence that gravity will cease to exist? What is the proposed mechanism for this cause and is that mechanism only going to be present in 1,000,000,000 years? So, the theory basically states that mechanism X, which has never been observed (otherwise we would be able to demonstrate the claim that it neutralizes gravitational forces, giving evidence to the theory), causes gravitational forces to cease to exist (and that this mechanism will activate in 100,000,000 years), which means that this claim has not been tested…
The evidence for this theory is exactly the same as the evidence for gravity. This idea is not unfalsifiable or untestable btw - it is tested exactly the same way we test gravity. There is no evidence for this theory over gravity, and there is no evidence for gravity over this theory. Both make the same predictions for all intents and purposes.

It's pretty clear that you have more faith in standard gravity than you do in this theory. But why? The EVIDENCE is exactly the same for both. The difference between the two theories is not in the evidence. It's in the philosophical assumptions we make.

Since untested ideas have a low prior probability, this one is no different.
Yes, just like gravity. What makes gravity different from this theory?

It would be like me saying that I have found the cure for cancer, it’s X. When people ask why people still have cancer, the answer is simple; they haven’t done X, so of course they’re not cured yet. When asked how I know X is the cure, I can respond, using your reasoning, that it “predicts” the previous data perfectly, namely that when people don’t use the cure for cancer, they don’t get cured from cancer. I don’t think it takes much to see that this claim hasn’t been tested at all. Basically, if you have a theory that X->Y, you can only test it when you have X (basic logic). If you have X, then X->Y is evidence for the claim and X->-Y is evidence against the claim. If you don’t have X, then the idea can’t be tested. This is because –X->Y and –X->-Y has no relation to the proposition X->Y, since they are both “predicted” by it. You fail to comprehend what it means to test something.
I'm not sure what this all has to do with what I said. In fact, according to your reasoning above, you have no reason to believe gravity over my theory, because you can't do any tests.

After all, the only difference between the theories is what happens on the 10000000000...0001st drop. So to test one theory over the other, you'd have to do 10000000000...0001 drops. This is X. Let Y be "will drop". Gravity says X>Y, my theory says X>-Y. Oh wait, we haven't done 10000000000...0001 drops. So we have -X. So by your reasoning, we can't say anything about X>Y or X>-Y. In other words, we can't say anything about my theory vs standard gravity.

Do you agree that gravity has made successful predictions? Do you agree that my theory has made the exact same predictions in every case, and has thus been successful in each?

All evidence and predictions point to my theory just as well as they point to gravity. If evidence and predictions are all that matters, then you cannot accept gravity over my theory. So please, tell me what EVIDENCE you have that points to gravity over my theory?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
ballin said:
I drop something. It falls.

I drop something again. It falls.

I drop something again. It falls. etc

I mean, how do we test gravity?
For Newtonian mechanics, by the inverse square law. For relativity, it would be a different equation. Based on the present location of objects, you use the equations to project the future paths of physical objects and if the objects are where you predict they will be, the prediction was successful. You seem to be saying that your hypothesis would predict that everything would end up resting on the surface of the Earth, which is not the case. Every object that has reached escape velocity would be evidence against your hypothesis, but not evidence against Newtonian mechanics or relativity. Also, because Newtonian mechanics and relativity makes more specific predictions, they would have a greater Bayes factor and therefore more evidence than your hypothesis.
ballin said:
We can say with certainty that Newtonian mechanics are not 100% correct, because we have made observations that were inconsistent with Newtonian mechanics.
Have you ever observed something that turned out to be different than you first imagined? Every observation has a probability attached to it. It’s just that the confidence we have for our observations are reasonably high and every time they are independently verified, the probability that the observations were wrong decreases at an exponential rate. This means that the probability that the observations are wrong and that Newtonian mechanics is exceedingly low, llow enough not to be considered seriously, yet not absolutely zero.
ballin said:
Does gravity make any predictions? This theory makes the SAME predictions as gravity.
Predictions are necessary for a test but not sufficient. In order to test an idea, it must be able to fail the test. If the idea is consistent with every outcome of the designed experiment, then the idea has not been tested. For example, when you propose a causal link X->Y, the only way to show this link to be wrong is to have X->-Y. Therefore, if you experiment with –X, you can’t test the proposed idea because –X->Y and –X->-Y are both consistent with the proposed idea. This is why it needs to be specific what you are proposing in order to see what outcomes are consistent with the idea or not. If they actually propose the same causal link (make the same predictions and have the same evidential support), then you are simply proposing the same thing as Newtonian mechanics or relativity and are simply saying that they are different and your implication that they would predict the opposite to happen in 1,000,001 years is simply false.
ballin said:
The evidence for this theory is exactly the same as the evidence for gravity.
Here is where the mistake from the previous point shows up. They may both be consistent with the evidence, but one may have passed more tests or more stringent tests, and therefore has more evidence than the other. You have not unpacked the implications of your hypothesis as to describe what tests it has passed. As of now, I would be comfortable to say that the evidence of gravity is more tested than your theory, which translates into having more evidence than your theory.
ballin said:
Do you agree that gravity has made successful predictions? Do you agree that my theory has made the exact same predictions in every case, and has thus been successful in each?
Yes, no. When I say successful prediction, I mean that a prediction was made from the model, it was tested, and it successfully passed the test. By test, I mean that it was possible for the model to fail the test. The harder to pass the test, the more evidence passing the test confers to the hypothesis. It is not clear by the formulation of your hypothesis, that your hypothesis is both distinguishable from relativity and has made any successful predictions that rival the success of relativity.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
You're using the phrase "truth claim" to mean roughly "any statement about how the world is". That's not how I intend it. I simply mean that science always maintains healthy skepticism. That science never declares something True (with a capital T) and therefore beyond skepticism. It does declare things "true" (with a lower case t) all the time, which means provisionally true. Or "true" until something better comes along. The difference should be clear. But by your standard, you are right to include everything you highlighted as a "truth claim".
By truth claim I mean maintaining that something is the case. For instance, right now you just maintained that it is the case that science maintains healthy skepticism. That is what I mean by a truth claim. I would distinguish between truth claims and absolute truth claims, the difference being the degree of certainty about the truth claim. I never have contended that a truth claim must be absolute.

In my contrived bird example, each measurement of birds was an observation. We can state that there were 76 birds on day X. Then you might interject and say: "Well, how do you KNOW that there were that many birds?"

A reasonable question! One that has to be taken seriously. The short answer is: "If your requirement for 'KNOW' is absolute metaphysical certainty, then no, we simply cannot know." We can mitigate this fact, however. This is why openness is so important in science. It allows readers of your work to verify your results on their own.
Knowledge generally does have a very high connotation of certainty, the most usual definition is justified, true belief. So I agree that there is very little we can truly know. The more reasonable question I'm proposing why believe that there were that many birds? Belief has a lower definition of certainty and all we need here is a good reason to believe. You seem to have automatically assumed that the answer to this is scientific, you seem to say that once we mitigate the issue of knowledge we will immediately be brought to science. The issue for you is that the answer to this question must by necessity be philosophical. How could we scientifically come up with a reason to believe that there were that many birds? You may immediately be thinking, well, because we observed that many birds! But this presumes that verification is a warrant for belief, and as soon as you make that claim, you are making a philosophical, epistemological claim about belief. For there is no way to scientifically prove that verification is the way to come to true beliefs. Furthermore I've argued that verificationism is self-refuting and too restrictive.

It also strikes me that you should look up the debate about realism and anti-realism if you never have.

Again: Science deals in the real world. When we say something is "true" it really means: "Highly certain". If your takeaway from this is "HA! Science has no metaphysical footing! Therefore the whole thing is invalid!" then that's just absurd. If that's how you feel, you're perfectly welcome to turn of your PC, stop taking prescription medication, stop driving cars, and stop using everything else science has provided.
But how can you adequately make statements about the "real world" without answering metaphysical and epistemological questions. For instance let me put this to you, right now you're actually a brain in a vat being stimulated to experience everything around you. Or, everything that you observe around you is a veridical observation representing a real, objective reality. Now those two hypothesis predict the same exact events neither of them can be verified to be more real or true than the other. Science by itself here can make absolutely no claim as to the nature of the "real world". Science alone can't make any metaphysical claims as to the nature of the "real world".

Also I've never once stated that science is invalid because of any of this, I've repeatedly said that it simply needs an adequate philosophical foundation and I admitted that it is science that "brings home the bread" in terms of technology.

What we disagree about is whether this discussion is "scientific" or "philosophic" (to put it bluntly)
How could his debate even possibly be scientific? We've never been discussing empirical data and theories here, this conversation is beyond the scope of pure science.

If you make a statement of fact about the nature of the universe, this is clearly a scientific statement. If your god impacts the world, if it interacts with the universe actively, then you are making scientific claims which need to be substantiated.

If not, then sure, there's no need for evidence. (Namely, because there can _be_ no evidence. What I've been trying to say about falsification all along) You can make all the purely metaphysical arguments all you want for or against it. I'll sit that argument out and let you guys go at it.
If you make a statement about the nature of the universe as it really is then this is clearly a metaphysical, and thus philosophical claim. Only a statement about an empirical observation or theory is scientific. Unless you want to argue that these empirical observations and theories are veridical representations of reality, and that again would be philosophical, rather than scientific discussion.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
PLEASE insert some spacing into your posts - I can't tell easily where one response ends when I hit quote.

For Newtonian mechanics, by the inverse square law. For relativity, it would be a different equation. Based on the present location of objects, you use the equations to project the future paths of physical objects and if the objects are where you predict they will be, the prediction was successful. You seem to be saying that your hypothesis would predict that everything would end up resting on the surface of the Earth, which is not the case. Every object that has reached escape velocity would be evidence against your hypothesis, but not evidence against Newtonian mechanics or relativity. Also, because Newtonian mechanics and relativity makes more specific predictions, they would have a greater Bayes factor and therefore more evidence than your hypothesis.
I was trying to simplify the situation a bit by sticking to the simple case of objects falling, but whatever, the point stands in any case. Escape velocity and so forth are all irrelevant to the point of the argument - do you realize this? Modify what I said to be "Newtonian mechanics EXCEPT in *insert untestable case here*". Or "general relativity EXCEPT in solar system X of the Andromeda galaxy, where Newtonian mechanics actually hold". Or whatever. Nitpicking the example is irrelevant.

What do you do when you have two hypotheses that both fit with the evidence? Let's try another example - suppose we lack the technology to perform an experiment to test Newtonian mechanics vs relativity. So for all intents and purposes, they give the same predictions. Would you choose to believe one over the other? For this example, they ONLY DIFFER in an untestable case.

Or we can stick to the old example, if that all makes sense.

Have you ever observed something that turned out to be different than you first imagined? Every observation has a probability attached to it. It’s just that the confidence we have for our observations are reasonably high and every time they are independently verified, the probability that the observations were wrong decreases at an exponential rate. This means that the probability that the observations are wrong and that Newtonian mechanics is exceedingly low, llow enough not to be considered seriously, yet not absolutely zero.
Well, it's still a statement of truth to say that the probability of Newtonian mechanics being correct is low. I'd also maintain that one of the ideas of Newtonian mechanics is that our observations are correct, but whatever.

Would you agree with this statement?

Either Newtonian mechanics are false or our observations are incorrect.

Predictions are necessary for a test but not sufficient. In order to test an idea, it must be able to fail the test. If the idea is consistent with every outcome of the designed experiment, then the idea has not been tested.
But my theory was NOT like this at all, as I pointed out before. Unless you think gravity is consistent with every outcome of the designed experiment too. My theory can fail if a bowling ball fails to fall when you drop it.

For example, when you propose a causal link X->Y, the only way to show this link to be wrong is to have X->-Y. Therefore, if you experiment with –X, you can’t test the proposed idea because –X->Y and –X->-Y are both consistent with the proposed idea.
I think I addressed this in my previous post ...

This is why it needs to be specific what you are proposing in order to see what outcomes are consistent with the idea or not. If they actually propose the same causal link (make the same predictions and have the same evidential support), then you are simply proposing the same thing as Newtonian mechanics or relativity and are simply saying that they are different and your implication that they would predict the opposite to happen in 1,000,001 years is simply false.
I don't follow the last sentence. I am proposing something very similar to relativity or Newtonian mechanics, yes.

Here is where the mistake from the previous point shows up. They may both be consistent with the evidence, but one may have passed more tests or more stringent tests, and therefore has more evidence than the other. You have not unpacked the implications of your hypothesis as to describe what tests it has passed. As of now, I would be comfortable to say that the evidence of gravity is more tested than your theory, which translates into having more evidence than your theory.
You say this, but it's not clear at all how this is the case.

Gravity and my theory make the same predictions in ALL cases that we can possibly test. Any test gravity has passed has also been passed by my theory. How can one possibly have passed more stringent tests than the other? What EVIDENCE do you have for one over the other?

Yes, no. When I say successful prediction, I mean that a prediction was made from the model, it was tested, and it successfully passed the test. By test, I mean that it was possible for the model to fail the test. The harder to pass the test, the more evidence passing the test confers to the hypothesis. It is not clear by the formulation of your hypothesis, that your hypothesis is both distinguishable from relativity and has made any successful predictions that rival the success of relativity.
My hypothesis is not distinguishable from relativity in any cases that we can currently test. In all cases that we can test, it has made the same successful predictions (note though that it was certainly possible for it to fail, because it was possible for relativity to fail).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think if I was an athiest, I'd sound exactly like Undersoggs. It's weird because he's Australian too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom