• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

give a review of SSB64 using any grading system you want.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I love this game, but it falls short of divine excellence down to just normal excellence because of KIRBY. Kirby is disgusting.

But yeah - 64 is coming back in a lot of places, and is definitely worth picking up if you haven't already. No game has combos like smash64. Few characters, sure, but they are fairly balanced and learning to play all of them is NOT insurmountable. Just be sure to replace your N64 controller or joystick every few months, and you'll be fine. :chuckle:

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I have seen OVER 9000!!!1!!!1ONE!!!ONE!1! people say that the N64 controller sucks, because the joystick wears out WAY too fast.
Isn't there any primitive way to prevent this?
I ordered a Nintendo 64 + 2 controller + SSB, they get delivered tomorrow.
And I don't want to buy new controllers every month.
Any tips?
(Yes I googled for 'Fixing N64 controller' and crap, didn't got anything useful.
Try this:

1) search for 3rd party controllers, some of them have different sticks (hori minipad in example)
2) If you use them smoothly they last for a long time
3) If you can't be smooth, order a stick replacement pack

HolyPie

Smash Cadet
1. They often have strange shapes, and I like the design of the official N64 controller so much.
2. I can't be smooth in SSB D:
3. Stick replacement pack = $$$$$$

Anyway, I found the 'core' of the problem. There's like a huge gap in the plastic ring around the joystick, I filled it up with some paper. It's way more tight now. Maybe I should post a tutorial with pictures on how to fix it? O_O

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Anyway, I found the 'core' of the problem. There's like a huge gap in the plastic ring around the joystick, I filled it up with some paper. It's way more tight now. Maybe I should post a tutorial with pictures on how to fix it? O_O
Definitely a tut worthy of posting. That plastic gets grinded away at and can degrade too easily. Let us know how that quick-fix works out for you and also how it plays/feels!

HolyPie

Smash Cadet
Okay, will do then. Not going to be any sooner than tomorrow though.
Not feeling anything for it right now, because I just fixed it, first going to enjoy it a bit.

All I can say for the tut right now is this:

1. You will need screwdrivers in at least 2 different sizes. ( Is that the correct english word for a tool you use to tighten up and loosen up screws? O_O )
2. No technical skills required.

Imma post my tut tomorrow.

LegendOfZelda

Smash Apprentice
lol i gotta reply wario

BEST:

1. Combo possibilities
2. Simple yet deep
3. You can also play on emulator + Online mode that works great
4. You don't need as much speed/finger skills as melee
5. Plenty of stages and character for the first of the series.
6. All hitboxes are fine and all attacks are fine too
7. N64 controller rules
:bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee::bee:
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Why I like 64
1. Best Stages in any smash game....and i mean ANY, even the banned stages are fun
2. Best Music of any smash game (Metal Mario)
3. No character is truly broken unlike Br{L}awl
4. Best balance of any smash game
5. There is no Marth.... : D
6. Has quick enough hand speed for
7. I know a huge amount of people online and people Pheer my Yoshi
8. Im good enough at the game to be in PPS
9. Yoshi DJC
10. Better Wifi than brawl (chat + less lag + p2p = WIN)
11. It takes quick hand speed but doesn't take too quick a hand speed for me to be just losing since my hands are slower, unlike Melee
12. Keyboard
13. It started Smash games

Why I dislike 64
1. Samus sucks
2. I hate facing Fox's (ROFLASER)
3. Hyrule Tornado
4. Noobs online (as in people who think they are the best in the game even though they barely play it or only spam Up Tilt)
5. Johners online
6. Major laggers online
7. People who spam GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO and have over 100 ping
8. N64 controller, i prefer this controller for racing or puzzle game

SheerMadness

Smash Master
There are just too many things in 64 which take little to no skill and are way too hard to escape. Also I think edgeguarding is too easy.

In melee If I lose I always come out of the match thinking that they're simply either better than me or I played poorly so I have nothing to get mad at except myself. I don't always feel that way in ssb64.

So I would rate:

Melee - 9/10
ssb64 - 7.5/10
Brawl - 4/10

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
There are just too many things in 64 which take little to no skill and are way too hard to escape. Also I think edgeguarding is too easy.

In melee If I lose I always come out of the match thinking that they're simply either better than me or I played poorly so I have nothing to get mad at except myself. I don't always feel that way in ssb64.

So I would rate:

Melee - 9/10
ssb64 - 7.5/10
Brawl - 4/10
I wish Smash64 had more combos like Marths Fair chains, then itd be legit!..at least more balanced anyways :O

LOL jk...

All three are a bit broken, i think it gets worse as it goes though...personally i find melee better for OTHER reasons but "Balance" is not one of them xP

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Forgot:

I prefer melee for the speed
Br{L}awl for the people I know
64 for the combos, the balance, and the GOOD online play

The only reason I really dislike melee is the fact that I can't defeat good marth's and 64 where good fox's give me trouble
I don't have that type of problem in brawl (without the D3 infinite...Lulz), I do fine vs virtually every character

Im going to split it up for my "ratings" of each

Melee

Balance: C.....I really hate vsing marth's, and the only way ive done moderately well was to develop a higher tier (Ganon/Falcon), i dislike the balance in melee more than brawl

Fun: B+ with people to play with.....D without, no wifi, computers suck in melee, I can't play melee too often with other people, my only practice in tournaments is the day before for maybe an hour and a few friendlies for tournaments

Tournaments: A+, Greatest tournament scene ever, nice people

Community: A : This introduced me to the good side of smash, thanks for smashboards, also, East Coast is Too Good

B overall

Balance: A, Besides Fox, There isn't anyone i hate facing,

Fun: C alone, A with others, I like playing with others, I haven't really improved recently though, ive hit my maximum without a controller

Wifi: A++: 0 lag wifi, Yayhuzz, p2p is too good

Tournaments: N/A :p

Community: C, some people are quite nice and fun to play with, other's aren't, i don't find this community that tight either

B+ overall

Brawl

Balance: B, of course meta and snake are broken...but otherwise this game is fine....and I don't lose to
people probably worse than me just because their character is overpowered

Fun: B- without others, A offline with people, the AI in brawl is better than melee, there is more stuff to do, and people send me replays, I don't get bored as quickly and Wifi is one load screen away, I play with people on campus (with items and without lulz) and this is a lot of fun

Wifi: B + with people online, Wifi is fine, my connection is good, and I play people on the AIB ladder or the F5 chat, you get major lag if you don't know people, some people do lag though lulz, also, delay = lulzworthy

Tournaments: A+, of the few tournaments ive been to, its been a blast

Community: B, some people are fun to be with, others....not so much

B + overall

I tie 64 with brawl

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Also, nixxxxon, nah I think ssb64 is perfect and perfectly fine the way it is :D 10/10 like malva said :D
this game's definitely not perfect... what do you think about Pikachu's insane priority and capabilities or Kirby's utilt?...

It could become perfect adding more stages and chars, and balancing them more.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i saw the same thread you made on the melee boards and it got locked..

<KevinM> this thread is just for post count.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
I agree that SSB isn't perfect, but many of the additions to Melee or Brawl don't even make sense...if SSB was updated I think I'd prefer more of the changes being left out than added in.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I have to respond to Korebeniki, especially after he tied Brawl with 64. (wtf mate?)

Balance:B Other than some issues, it's ok.... I only dislike playing Jigglypuff (yeah, weird)

Fun: B+ with others, I really enjoy playing with others, but only if they around my skill level.

Tournaments: C+ Only small online tournaments.....yeah

Community: C See Korobeniki's

Skill level: B There's a lot of advanced stuff, but it's not that hard to get good....

B overall

Melee

Balance: C+ It's not balanced, but there aren't any characters I really hate fighting against. You really have to question some characters though, like Pichu....

Fun:A+ Is a blast to play against almost any skill level, and for a very long time.

Tournaments: A Less tournaments now, but in 2007 torunaments were a blast.

Community: B+ : Smaller now, but most people are nice, and most are awesome for not going to Brawl. =D

Skill level: A+ Takes a lot of practice/experience to get good. Way harder than the other 2 games.

A- overall

Brawl

Balance: C+ There's multiple characters I hate facing. If it was just around middle tier though, I would be pleased.

Fun: D+ offline with people. I honestly usually get bored after one match, and that's when I begin to beg for Melee.

Tournaments: C+ Again, there's a bunch of characters I dislike playing, but tournaments are still pretty fun.

Community: B Some great people, others not so great

Skill level: D Lol. After not playing Brawl for 7 months, I got to the semifinals of a mid-sized toruney. You can say I had unskilled opponents but still..... (I used metaknight btw)

C- Overall

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
One thing yous maybe forgetting is that for people like me (I live in a very small town with NO smash interest...even our Brawl tourneys got moved away) so Smash64's "small online tourneys" are far better then the ZERO I get with the other two...but thats just my personal situation, for people living in bigger areas i guess this is not the case :p

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
One thing yous maybe forgetting is that for people like me (I live in a very small town with NO smash interest...even our Brawl tourneys got moved away) so Smash64's "small online tourneys" are far better then the ZERO I get with the other two...but thats just my personal situation, for people living in bigger areas i guess this is not the case :p
yaya I live in a smash desert too

MattNF

Smash Lord
SSB64 = Brawl? No way.

SSB64 takes much more skill. For example, I played Koro in BARLW today. He plays almost every day and is in tournaments and stuff. I literally haven't touched the game in 6 months. I pick metaknight, spam downsmash, upb, tornado, etc. He picks Peach and Marth. I win. >_>

In SSB64, if I played a guy who played often and I hadn't played in 6 months, I'd get *****. Brawl may have a larger community, but that doesn't make it better. And it has no combos. I like mah combos.

LegendOfZelda

Smash Apprentice
this game's definitely not perfect... what do you think about Pikachu's insane priority and capabilities or Kirby's utilt?...

It could become perfect adding more stages and chars, and balancing them more.
This is all very true. I'm pretty baised. :D I love my 64.

But on a serious note, I would probably rate it like... a 9/10.
A couple peoples moves have insane priority (pikachu, ness' utilt pretty ridiculous, kirby utilt as well). But I think the game overall is a wonderful game. We wouldn't want to try and balance everything perfectly, then we'd be trying to make a Brawl, which obviously failed(not to say making a balanced game would be impossible, I just think it's a little too difficult to try and make everything so balanced...). I do believe more characters and stages would be cool, but I'm more than ok with the selection in 64. Also, keep in mind, this game WAS made 11 years ago :D. I think anyone trying to compare it to melee or brawl isn't being fair to 64. My 2¢.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
So, like when the **** is ssb64 gonna get hacked like goldeneye and add some pretty legit stages
JUST stages not some dumb random hack like falcon's falcon punch gives an instant K.O. nothing that messes with the ssb gameplay system.. just stages i already posted a thread about it but it died.. SUPERSTAR was gonna look into that :(

EDIT: maybe some music. (yes, it is possible) mostly nintendo made and maybe some "outside" music and which that can be debatable later. Also in order for this to work all the players IN the game would need the same hacked rom.(more stuff added the bigger the rom gets)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
So, like when the **** is ssb64 gonna get hacked like goldeneye and add some pretty legit stages
JUST stages not some dumb random hack like falcon's falcon punch gives an instant K.O. nothing that messes with the ssb gameplay system.. just stages i already posted a thread about it but it died.. SUPERSTAR was gonna look into that :(

EDIT: maybe some music. (yes, it is possible) mostly nintendo made and maybe some "outside" music and which that can be debatable later. Also in order for this to work all the players IN the game would need the same hacked rom.(more stuff added the bigger the rom gets)
This kinda thing would be very hard to do...not only to get these things created, but to get that rom into circulation would be silly...and by silly i mean difficult :p

D

Deleted member

This kinda thing would be very hard to do...not only to get these things created, but to get that rom into circulation would be silly...and by silly i mean difficult :p
circulation is easy

just upload rom to file sharing site, torrent, etc

Superstar

Smash Champion
I looked into it.

I figured I didn't have enough time. It is really not a good first problem, and I got my own programming project anyways. I can't 3D program anyways, so I figured the time wasn't worth it. I never said I was going to do, just to see if I can do it.

Hacking ROMs is not like programming, you need a looooooot of patience and tedious guesswork to hack.

And you could put it as a patch if you REALLY was against rom circulation.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
SSB64 = Brawl? No way.

SSB64 takes much more skill. For example, I played Koro in BARLW today. He plays almost every day and is in tournaments and stuff. I literally haven't touched the game in 6 months. I pick metaknight, spam downsmash, upb, tornado, etc. He picks Peach and Marth. I win. >_>

In SSB64, if I played a guy who played often and I hadn't played in 6 months, I'd get *****. Brawl may have a larger community, but that doesn't make it better. And it has no combos. I like mah combos.
are you going to bring up that every time?

I don't use marth or Peach

every time I used a main, I won, every time i used a secondary I won, I don't use peach or marth well

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Overall I give 64 an A, not an A+ for reasons like small community (not the game's fault, but it doesn't help if I don't have anyone to play offline and there is only at most a dozen people online) and only SOME unbalanced things (Melee and Brawl have alot more imo).

Top Bottom