• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Girls/Guys/Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I've remade this thread now that everyone's forgotten! :laugh:

Don't get this thread closed people, I mean, it can't be any more controversial than that Religion one.

Here's the rules!

Recently in the Pool Room there has been quite a bit of discussion about girls and guys and their relationships.

That discussion was either off-topic or devolved into mindless sexism.

This is the thread where we can talk about relationships in general, sexism, girls, guys, etc.

A strong warning: Don't be a jerk. This thread just screams "Close me if I'm not being perfectly behaved". So behave.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Hmm... I want to debate about online dating. I'm in the mood to debate so satisfy my desires. I'll play for the side that supports online dating. I want any of you guys to make good points as to why online dating is wrong or whatever.

GO!

Dibs

Smash Lord
Oh Kenneth.. Online dating will always be for ugly people.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Online dating is something I'd never do. I have a friend that's kinda into that, but he does it through a really crappy MMORPG, Runescape.

It's kinda funny because whenever we talk there's always some kinda eDrama going on that I don't really care about.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well, this isn't exactly a debate about if you would go for online dating or not. It's about whether or not it's ok in general. Like, I wouldn't go gay but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well in that case I'm not really against it, but it's not something I'd promote. I'm indifferent that way =/

Dibs

Smash Lord
I mean.. You can be against it. But hell, people are still going to do it. It's the safest way to not have a physical life. And some people love that I guess.

Uglies.

Cinder

Smash Master
^Sounds to me like we're talking 'bout the kind where you date online and never actually meet...hmm...I'm not sure about how good of an idea it is...a girl I dated last year apparently had an online relationship that lasted for five years...of course, she dumped him for me:p...

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Well, this isn't exactly a debate about if you would go for online dating or not. It's about whether or not it's ok in general.
Oh come on, I never said it wasn't ok. I just said people who do this are more than likely fooling themselves. The relationship is only a crush, and wont be meaningful until the two people actually meet, and who knows if they'll feel the same way afterwards. :/

But hey, if I ever have children I'd rather have my precious little princess daughter texting "i like u" to some person she has little to no chance of meeting than for her to actually date in real life. Those teenage boys, you know. Cant trust a single one of those hormone crazy rebels. And if I ever saw my son texting "i like u", I'd probably slap him.

Oh, and I rejected a girl last week. Go me! ^_^

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Not to say you should go out with anyone who asks, but I don't see why you're happy that you rejected someone.

I also like that your male children are forbidden from liking people. Do you plan to keep them in a cage in your basement when they're not at school?

Online dating? I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think I could ever do it. I find it hard to think of people I've met online as real people.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Oh come on, I never said it wasn't ok. I just said people who do this are more than likely fooling themselves. The relationship is only a crush, and wont be meaningful until the two people actually meet, and who knows if they'll feel the same way afterwards. :/

But hey, if I ever have children I'd rather have my precious little princess daughter texting "i like u" to some person she has little to no chance of meeting than for her to actually date in real life. Those teenage boys, you know. Cant trust a single one of those hormone crazy rebels. And if I ever saw my son texting "i like u", I'd probably slap him.

Oh, and I rejected a girl last week. Go me! ^_^
So, you rather you'd communicate with a possible pedophile than with a teenager?

Seriously, if you are over-protective of your daughter/son, they will be whores. Think about it, if you make sex a huge taboo, when they rebel, and believe me, they will rebel, they will have sex. Instead, why not teach them proper safe-sex practices, and how to be a good partner. They'll thank you later.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Not to say you should go out with anyone who asks, but I don't see why you're happy that you rejected someone.

I also like that your male children are forbidden from liking people. Do you plan to keep them in a cage in your basement when they're not at school?
You know, now that you mention it, I dont know why I was happy considering she's a really nice person. I probably have issues I need to work out or something. :ohwell:

And the whole children who date online thing was a joke. Of course I wouldn't want them doing that kind of stuff with people they dont know.
Seriously, if you are over-protective of your daughter/son, they will be whores. Think about it, if you make sex a huge taboo, when they rebel, and believe me, they will rebel, they will have sex. Instead, why not teach them proper safe-sex practices, and how to be a good partner. They'll thank you later.
Thanks, if I ever have kids, which I dont plan on having, I'll keep that in mind. I'll still try to encourage absinence though.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
So, you rather you'd communicate with a possible pedophile than with a teenager?

I agree with CK here, even though it is not the only factor, being over-protective will only be bad in the long run.

I think having a good relationship with your children is very important. If they don't get affection from you, they'll try to get it elsewhere. And sadly... it might be at any cost.

Cinder

Smash Master

Spoken like a true genious...

I have to agree with CK...children who feel like they're being sheltered by over-protective parents tend to become sexually active...I actually have a female friend who's parents are Catholic, and VERY strict on her about abstinence...and what did she do? Within three months of dating her boyfriend, she was having sex...safe-sex, of course, but her parents found out and got REALLY pissed...if you ask me, her parents really screwed up, for the exact reason CK has mentioned: they were over-protective...

Sorry if this is too explicit, but I felt that it would help prove CK's point...

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
I agree with CK here, even though it is not the only factor, being over-protective will only be bad in the long run.

I think having a good relationship with your children is very important. If they don't get affection from you, they'll try to get it elsewhere. And sadly... it might be at any cost.
Quote for so much truth. Although mine is a different case.
I had a very long relationship with a woman I had met in a forum just like this one (I was 15). We met after a couple of months, just for curiosity (we weren't actually "dating" online, just writing alot)

My parents were against me having such relationship, yet we ended up falling in love, and eventually getting married.

This is completely different than dating on runescape, which I must say is horrible. And I would slap the **** out of my son if I found him virtual sexing on some MMO., not for the fact itself, but because him doing so means he is so introverse to not be able to have a real relationship, and that is sad

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I don't see the point in dating online. I'm not against it, but I don't think you can have full feelings for someone you've never met. People ARE different online, even if they don't mean to be. But hey, sometimes you get lucky, and when you meet the person in real life for an extended period of time, it works. But online, you can avoid things that annoy you about the person, you still have your own personal space, you can just sign off whenever you want to, and you can hide unwanted parts of your own self very easily.

And being happy about turning someone down is kinda ****. It sounds a bit arrogant =S It's not cool to reject or hurt someone and be happy about it.

smashman90

Smash Lord
A couple of days ago I found out this girl that I really liked and wanted to ask out told her ex(who was a friend of mine) that I was a stalker. But the thing was that I haven't done anything stalker-ish. So I was a bit confuzzled.

Later that day I found out that the ex told her that I was stalking her(he even called her and was impersonating me) because he found out that I liked her and he threatened to beat me up if I called her(he gave me her number just so that he could set me up).

What should I do?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Crowbar him in the face?

Call her and show her that you haven't been calling her?

Give up on her for being an idiot? One of those three would work fine

Colino

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrColino
Crowbar him in the face?

Give up on her for being an idiot? One of those three would work fine
I also suggest you find some better friends and smarter girls to like

Cinder

Smash Master
I also suggest you find some better friends and smarter girls to like
Yeah, that's the way to go...do that...

@Smashman: lemme guess, the girl you liked was incredibly good looking and seemed to have a great personality, right? Hmhm...let me tell you a quick story...

During my sophomore year, I had a crush on a girl...she was drop-dead gorgeous, and was incredibly sweet, caring, and kind...at the end of the year, I asked her out...she said yes (why she did is beyond me:confused:), and told me to call her later on...she never called me back...it turned out that she had a boyfriend, and didn't have the guts to tell me...I hardly ever speak to her anymore...especially after I overheard one of her friends refer to me as her stalker...

My point is, just because a girl may seem beautiful, kind, and the one for you, doesn't mean it's meant to be...don't get me wrong, I ain't sayin' you're meant to marry some hideous blob you can barely call a woman, I'm just sayin' you can't assume you've found your match because you find her attractive and good natured...trust me, you'll know when you find your perfect match...

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I'd just stick with the crowbar in the face idea.

Soren49

Smash Rookie
Online dating, eh? Well, I'm not saying it's a bad Idea, but I'm not saying it's a good idea either. First, I think you should only date if you ARE SAFE. Don't EVER give out a lot of information, only until you fully trust the person, and know for a FACT it's not a hoax or something. Even then you should be safe! Also, what if you never meet? How do you know he doesn't already have a significant other and is just using you? There is always that possiblity that they can fall in love with another person. Don't be dating people you are absolutely sure you are never going to meet! That's just kinda stupid if I may say so myself. What would be the point? You'd never get married if you loved them enough, seriously.

But it is a good thing at the same time. The person can't judge you by your looks or be hyprocritical. They can know who you really are, not WHAT you are. How people look's shouldn't matter if you ask me, it should be their pursonalities. Also, the world has only a handful of great people, most are just people you might not want to hang with. Online you can meet many new people from around the world, not just where you live! Some people can't find anyone, like myself. I'm sixteen and never been kissed! I haven't found one guy I like where I live! D: I plan on moving away from here though. Seems everybody around here is only interested in smoking pot, getting drunk, using speed and xtc, and eating mushrooms! XD That's definatly not a person I want to date ._.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Crowbar him in the face?
Question. Could a baseball bat be an alternative instead of a crowbar? And if it is, what kind should I use, metal or wooden?

I am planning on doing that this weekend, I want to give this situation some time to cool off. If I can't, I am friends with one of the girl's friends and she knows the truth also, so I might ask her into knocking some sense into the girl.

@Smashman: lemme guess, the girl you liked was incredibly good looking and seemed to have a great personality, right?
Yeah pretty much and she was always nice to me. I even heard that she liked me. We always hanged out, chat, etc. I am still mad over the fact that the girl's ex tried to dupe her into hating me.

Cinder

Smash Master
Question. Could a baseball bat be an alternative instead of a crowbar? And if it is, what kind should I use, metal or wooden?
I'd go for metal...the more damage you do, the better you'll feel:evil:

Or, you could follow this little guy's lead -> :smash:

I am planning on doing that this weekend, I want to give this situation some time to cool off. If I can't, I am friends with one of the girl's friends and she knows the truth also, so I might ask her into knocking some sense into the girl.
That's a great idea...give it time to cool, and worst case scenario, get a neutral party to help...

Yeah pretty much and she was always nice to me. I even heard that she liked me.
Knew it...same thing happened to me...that girl I spoke of...a friend of mine saw the way she talked to me and acted around me and thought she had a crush on me...that made it spiral downhill really fast...don't assume your friends know for sure, unless the girl directly told them, then you need to question their integrity...are they the kind of people who lie to raise a living hell and get cheap thrills?

Sparx

Smash Cadet
This is completely different than dating on runescape, which I must say is horrible. And I would slap the **** out of my son if I found him virtual sexing on some MMO., not for the fact itself, but because him doing so means he is so introverse to not be able to have a real relationship, and that is sad
-GASP-! SON, YOU'RE A SAD, PATHETIC, NON-SOCIAL LIFE HAVING, RUNESCAPE PLAYING, NERD!

-***** slap-

D:

smashman90

Smash Lord
I'd go for metal...the more damage you do, the better you'll feel:evil:

Or, you could follow this little guy's lead -> :smash:
True, but the bat might dent and if I used the hammer then I might get brain matter all over my self. Or maybe I should hit him over the head with a banjo. . .

But yeah, I think I am gonna go with my idea about letting things cool off before I do anything. Anything else I should do to try and make the situation better?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Wohoo! Let's hope this thread stays open (and Pluvia, way to plagiarize off of me, man).

Online Dating:

It's cool! I've never done it, but I know someone who did and she was very impressed (also embarrassed--but I think it won't be embarrassing to meet someone online in a decade or so).

I mean, you put in your interests and stuff, and it finds someone for you, out of a million people, that you would most likely get along with. They have computer programs to diagnose diseases that are more accurate than doctors; I'm sure having a program pick your prospective partner is an order of magnitude better than meeting people randomly at a bar, and quite a bit better than having a friend hook you up.

I'm all for online dating.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Wohoo! Let's hope this thread stays open (and Pluvia, way to plagiarize off of me, man).

Online Dating:

It's cool! I've never done it, but I know someone who did and she was very impressed (also embarrassed--but I think it won't be embarrassing to meet someone online in a decade or so).

I mean, you put in your interests and stuff, and it finds someone for you, out of a million people, that you would most likely get along with. They have computer programs to diagnose diseases that are more accurate than doctors; I'm sure having a program pick your prospective partner is an order of magnitude better than meeting people randomly at a bar, and quite a bit better than having a friend hook you up.

I'm all for online dating.

(I mean the kind where you find someone online and then meet them in real life if you like each other.)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Hmm, yeah. She doesn't seem to dislike me, but... She hasn't really treated me any different. I was atleast expecting her to be creeped out by me. But no, nothing changed.

Anyways, tell me what you think of my e-mail. Too mushy?
_

All right, there’s something I need to tell you, even though you probably already know, and that this will sound lame coming over the internet.

Well, when we first met, I didn’t care much for you. You were just one of Gagnon’s friends, and I didn’t consider you to be one of my own. Yeah, I was pretty indifferent. But, eventually, you entered my inner-friend circle, up there with John and Tuttle. I even consider you to be one of my best friends. Yet overtime… I did start to feel different towards you. I began to notice how beautiful you were, how much I enjoyed your company, how great I felt when you smiled at me.

You’re all I’ve been able to think about since last January. I’ve been constantly preoccupied with you during school, at home, in bed awake at night. I’ve tried getting over you, try to find someone else, but I can’t.

I have even written poetry about you. If you’d like, you can read most of them here: http://www.your-poetry.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Dimes. Some of them are halfway decent, some pathetic, and others downright cheesy, but… whatever.

And, I’ve always been jealous when you talked to some other guy and not me. At one time or another, I’ve hated Markus, Joe, Steve (Ugh, the only reason he hung out with us in the morning was so he could flirt with you), and several others. It wasn’t so much the fact that I felt you were ignoring me that made me hate them as much as it was that I knew they all were better than me. Markus (It is with a ’k,’ right?) and Joe were more your age and knew you better than I, whilst Steve was funnier and more socially adept. And what do I have? I know very well that I’m not very attractive, funny or cool, and I’m 2 years younger than you. So I convinced myself that you would never like me.

…I was going to ask you to homecoming this year, but I didn’t. Same goes for every other dance that went on from now to last year. And why? Well… I didn’t want to put our friendship in jeopardy. I’ve always treasured our friendship dearly, and the last think I wanted was to throw it all away by trying to romance you. (Not to mention that mornings and rides home would be incredibly awkward…)

Kristina… If you skipped most of the above, at least read this: I just want to continue being friends with you. And I’d like it if you don’t go around telling everybody about this. I could just be our secret… Although, I guess I have no control over you.

… I think I’m in love with you, Kristina…
-Chris

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I haven't read your email, but I can tell you did it wrong because you emailed her.

Cinder

Smash Master
@Zook: Didn't read most of it...soz...but it did catch "I even wrote poetry about you"...call me crazy, but that seems like overkill...but what do I know? Still, it's good you told her...at least she doesn't think you're a stalker...maybe she just wants you to say it to her face?

EDIT: Read the whole thing...it's kind of touching...reminds me of a situation I got in...had a crush on a girl two years older, lost her to a football player, she graduated, haven't heard from her since...I would like to try and catch up with her, though...we were fairly close friends...I really miss her *sniff*...

Jammer

Smash Lord
Zook: Well, I disagree with Eor that emailing Kristina was necessarily a bad thing. There are two ways to go about winning her over, as far as I can see: Playing it cool, and hanging out with her so that she slowly reciprocates your feelings, and just going all out and declaring your love (which you did).

I admire that you took such a direct approach. An email is both shy and dangerous: you aren't face to face, but now she has those words that she can share with others, and that you can never take back.

You said she wasn't creeped out. That is an excellent sign if you expected her to be. If she's the kind of person who would brush off a profession of love any day of the week, then it's not so impressive for you.

Now that you've gone that far, I think you should just ask flat out if there's any chance you two could get together. Only if she quickly and confidently says "No" should you back off completely.

Good luck.

Soren49

Smash Rookie
@Zook: *can't help but glomp you* Okay, that's SO SWEET! Aww! ^^ I couldn't help but smile! :D So adorable! Wish someone would say something like that to me D: *pets* By the way you sound, I don't think you would be a bad boyfriend. You just gotta get out there and find the right person! :D Then again, what do I know, nobody would ever wanna date me anyway :B

Tee hee XD

@Cinder: Aw, I'm sorry about that. Maybe You'll talk to her again someday, heh. FOOTBALL PLAYER?!? PSHA! Never in a million years would I date one of those self absorbed people! (sorry to anyone who may be a football player) I haven't met a decent football player in my life, all jerks! Self absorbed and downright rude! Pshh, only thing that would be decent about them is their body, and even I don't like the big buff, ripped guys! I bet she doesn't know what she's missing from you ;P

Cinder

Smash Master
@Cinder: Aw, I'm sorry about that. Maybe You'll talk to her again someday, heh. FOOTBALL PLAYER?!? PSHA! Never in a million years would I date one of those self absorbed people! (sorry to anyone who may be a football player) I haven't met a decent football player in my life, all jerks! Self absorbed and downright rude! Pshh, only thing that would be decent about them is their body, and even I don't like the big buff, ripped guys! I bet she doesn't know what she's missing from you ;P
Aww, thanks...

...I just remembered...I can get the girl's email...*facepalm*...duhhh! I just need to talk to my orchestra teacher...

@Zook: gotta agree with Jammer...you made an approach, and at least she still hangs out with you...like I said, try to get up the nerve to say it to her face...don't be shy...look what I pulled off *realizes girl stood him up*...okay, bad example...

Soren49

Smash Rookie
Well, there ya go! Go get er' email adress, you can talk to her that way!

And no problem ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom