• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimping with wind: it can be done quite easily =o

Kage Me

Smash Ace
...Well, if you can land Vanish, anyway.

Imagine the following situation. You find your opponent around 80%, somewhat near the ledge. On most opponents, this isn't enough for a KO. However, if you should land Vanish, try doing it so that you knock them away from the stage while you move north-northeast (if you're on the east side of the stage). You'll perform a Vanish Catch with the wind it gives, and it'll always negate their momentum - not reverse like with northeast, but just negate. Additionally, you're not at risk of SDing this way.

The opponent will fall down. At this point, you can do two things, depending how far you were away from the ledge when you used Vanish. Either you DI towards the edge and grab it, or you land on the stage close to the edge. The first option is preferable against fast-fallers, the second works better against floaters.

If you grabbed the edge, wait for them to use their second jump, then drop from the ledge and use b-air. It'll knock them away from the ledge, and you can jump back up to recover and edgehog. If they immediately used their special, it's a free edgehog.

If you landed back on the stage, immediately chase and use f-air or n-air. Go back to the ledge and edgeguard/hog if necessary.

=====================================================

HOW IS THIS USEFUL?

It's good as a surprise attack. Let me put emphasis on "surprise". If your opponent has seen you use this before, it'll be difficult to pull this off. If your opponent is surprised by being caught, you can take advantage of his delayed response.

I hope this isn't known, but it wasn't listed in the uses for Vanish Catch, so I'm guessing it wasn't...

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hmm. I appear to have made a mistake in the guide.

You'll notice that there were two videos about killing with wind. Technically these should be in the Vanish Catch section. I hadn't discovered vanish catching until after I made the wind post. I'll fix it.

Otherwise, yes this is known, albeit not that well. Many people have posted in the guide about their spontaneous vanish gimps.

demodemo

Smash Ace
my wind has killed before, i think it was after pikachu's QA during helpeless state..

seriously lol if you manage to space a vanish + your opponent not react then more power to you lol

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
My wind did something weird yesterday. It pushed a CPU Sonic to the edge, thus, edgeguarding me. >_> Embarrassing much?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Vanish wind is so incredibly situational it hurts. Consistently using it effectively is almost impossible and why would you, when Shiek has better options?

Top Bottom