• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting used to imput lag? o_O

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Well..I can't believe it. I'm so desperate now for competition now that i've gone to Online for it (Thanks to my friends being "bored" of Brawl now >:O) so i've been going on the friend finder now.

Why, oh why, after a couple of days online have I gotten used to it?! Does anyone else experience that? That they're used to the online lag? :confused:

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
No matter how many times you see that Ike's f-smash, you just can't shield it because your shield comes out half a second after you hit the R button.

In short, no.

Revven

FrankerZ
I do, it's really normal for your hands to react and get used to the differences between offline and online. Right when I played online, after a few matches, my hands were used to it and some times it feels like I'm playing offline (but, I'm really not). And other times I notice the delay and I pay for it by not getting used to it.

Only thing that hinders me online is slow down lag or lag spikes.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Theres a different amount of lag in every match.
You can't get used to it unless your doing stuff that doesn't require timing.

Atsu

Smash Ace
Theres a different amount of lag in every match.
You can't get used to it unless your doing stuff that doesn't require timing.
QFT.

For the most part, I don't deal with lag. But I'm able to do a lot more offline than I'm able to do online.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Easiest way to get around the lag:
Spam taunts and silly crouching noises.
>>

Might be for the best to not get used to it though, unless it is the only way to get to ever play. Every time I go to my friends house and get some serious matches in, it takes a few for me to get back to lag free playing.

synchroblst

Smash Rookie
At first I used to play as if there were no lag, that didn't go too well. After a while I can play online, but when I get bored and notice all these little things like lag and stock counts (I don't really pay attention to stocks, sometimes I see +1 than what's there), I start to lose my tune with the lag. Then it all goes to hell.

But now I only play WiFi, because everyone I know offline is either too far away, I don't know where they are, or are vacationing somewhere far away. Until school starts again I probably won't have another offline match for a while. =/

So its all good. For now.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well..I can't believe it. I'm so desperate now for competition now that i've gone to Online for it (Thanks to my friends being "bored" of Brawl now >:O) so i've been going on the friend finder now.

Why, oh why, after a couple of days online have I gotten used to it?! Does anyone else experience that? That they're used to the online lag? :confused:
Eh, it happened to me after a while. Heck, I played on an HDTV (laggy) AND online, so imagine playing on Red Connections forever!

Then I played on a nonlaggy TV offline and found myself doing things too far ahead of time.

It sucked.

Now if I play online, I'm playing on a (non laggy) ... small portable DVD player (lol) and try to limit long sets to people who have green connections or better.

`.`; just work on your reading/prediction/mindgames/matchup/playstyle online, work on your timing offline

Hopeless One

Smash Rookie
I suppose, but once you get used to it, you can't use the "It wasn't my fault, it was laggy!" excuse anymore. :O

But, I am sorta geting used to the lag, I think.

Kazura

Smash Cadet
Anyone else who doesn't experience lag online? I feel kind of alone here.

-- Anyways, matches without lag aren't that great if your a casual brawler. Sometimes I wish I had it so I could have more fun.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
i didnt experience much lag... then *TA-DA* tedward came.....

clue: it lagged like hell...

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else who doesn't experience lag online? I feel kind of alone here.

-- Anyways, matches without lag aren't that great if your a casual brawler. Sometimes I wish I had it so I could have more fun.
Impossible. There is always input lag no matter how good your connection is.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
-Theres a highly different amount of lag in each online match.
-Theres even a different amount of lag in multiple times of a match.
-Lag is always varying and unpredictable.
All you guys who are saying your used to it, are dumb. sorry.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nope, I have a SpeedBooster. It doubles the connection speed, so I have no input lag at all.
The other person has to have a perfect connection too.
And even then, still would be a little lag.

I have speedboaster too I get lag. -_-

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Then theres no way you don't have lag.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
sasukebowser is right. In Brawl online, if one person lags, everyone lags. Either you're playing people with excellent connections or you're lying. And that still wouldn't get rid of input lag. I've actually had a blue connection once, and the input lag was still there. Go play offline and press the jump button and then go offline and do the same. Tell me theres no difference.

Tenki

Smash Hero
-Theres a highly different amount of lag in each online match.
-Theres even a different amount of lag in multiple times of a match.
-Lag is always varying and unpredictable.
All you guys who are saying your used to it, are dumb. sorry.
`.`; wut.

People can get used to adapting to lag (eg, "tap shield, see how long it takes for your shield to come out, then apply it to your moves"), and most of the time, the input/framerate lag with the people I played with don't vary within each match, but only vary for each player.

It's more of a mindset change if anything, and if you get sucked in too much, it leeches on timing (BAD). The mindset of having to do things ahead of time, even if you don't physically see it yet, of holding shield as you land/finish moves (lol similar effect to "buffering" so it comes up ASAP), and knowing not to try to punish moves because you'll eat a dsmah or something stupid lol.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
I notice lag too, but it doesn't affect my offline playing at all. But there have been many games that I play where I feel like there's no lag while others complain there is. I don't get used to it, I just play and I'm always effective.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
might get flamed for this. but i dont really care since im speaking the truth, but anyways

i am in europe and have the european version of the game and some matches I have "even in with anyone mode" I experience what I would call a lagless game, button lagless as well. this doesnt happen all the time but what is funny is that I have found that the circle colour is very inaccurate as well. red doesnt always equal lag, quite the opposite "rarely though"

edit: yes i do know that is is practically impossible to techincally get a lagless game online, but if anything I can easily compare it to mario kart wii's online mode

Kazura

Smash Cadet
^ I totally agree. Others think it's impossible for a lagless game because they've never had one.
=/ and the colored circle is broken most of the time anyways.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
After playing halo for a bit, me and a friend decided to do the famous tea-bagging on brawl XD it looked really funny. I was pika walking backwards and he was donkey going up and down, try it sometime lol

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Voice Chat is a MUST for online games
Imagine a little kid saying stupid things and just screaming, *clicks block screaming kid during character selection.*

On the other hand, Sometimes i don't even notice I'm lagging! When i regain my conscious after a what seemingly easy match, I start to notice the lag! wtflux? But what really bothers and affects my gameplay is the real lag, the lag spikes. I can't play right and i get pissed!

Top Bottom