• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Started; Buying Gamecube/Controller

Supermario

Smash Rookie
So I used to play 64 back in the day and after watching the smasher documentary im interested in playing again, so just a few questions if anyone cares to answer.

1) Is melee or brawl more popular?
2) Where can I buy a gamecube & Controller; how much also.
3) Does any1 still play 64 in aus?

Last edited:

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
1. Can't speak for other states but melee is way more popular in QLD right now.

2. Amazon/Play-asia is your best bet. Probably about $30-$35 for the controller not including shipping.

3. No idea

Last edited:

A Dumb Monkee

Smash Cadet
Melee is far more dominant and looks to still be rising in popularity. Brawl is widely accepted as being competitively inferior. If you're going to learn a game, I'd recommend melee.

Jawz

Smash Cadet
Amazon for the cube and melee. and I ordered a Official Nintendo controller from ebay for like 15 bucks

And Melee is definitely more popular

Last edited by a moderator:

Splice

Smash Hero
1. Melee by a large amount. I can only really speak for Victoria, but I'm pretty sure the Melee scene is bigger and more active across all of the East Coast.

2. It's easy to find White Controllers as others have already helped you with. It's hard to come by the older ones if that's what you're looking for (personally I prefer them, tiny tiny different feel)

3. Yes 64 is alive. It is mostly played online, there is an Australian skype group. You should get in contact with https://www.facebook.com/emmi.zhang?fref=ufi if you are interested.
If you live in VIC or NSW, there are a few 64 players who aren't afraid to travel a bit to play.

Izzago

For the record, if you are only buying one controller, and maybe even if buying more you are better off going on Ebay when you factor in shipping costs. It's like $50+ on Play Asia, but I'm not sure about Amazon but I hear that their shipping to here can be quite hefty. That is second hand information about Amazin though. I got mine for $40 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Shipped in about a week.

I mentioned in another thread, for a console, go to Cash Converters, either on website or in store. You can get Wii consoles for around $40. That's $80 so far, maybe closer to $90 depending on how high up it goes. I got a gamecube+controller fairly cheap recently from Cash Converters in Geelong.

Copy of the game? Ebay. I got a copy cheap on Ebay a couple of months ago, simply because it was missing its manual. There was another copy that had no case. Who needs a case? Like you need to take the disc out of the console... Look for the cheap copies like that if you are looking to save a buck.

As for a memory card. Ebay again. Like $5 or less. I think they go as low as $2. There are probably people in your local area who will be willing to copy their save data across so that you don't need to bother unlocking things.

Get a free CRT on Freecycle.org if you don't have one already. There are ALWAYS people who want to get rid of the things, so just ask for one or wait for someone to advertise one, you'll get a response within a couple of days without a doubt.

Overall it'll cost around $120, unless you get lucky at some poor old lady's garage sale, which happens far less these days than it used to.

Gords

Smash Champion
if the controller is coming from america amazon wont even ship to here.

Izzago

I did notice that when I tried to order some controllers from Amazon when they were cheap. I was shattered. I was going to buy like four or five of them.

Gords

Smash Champion
last time i sourced controllers for the Sydney scene i bought in bulk, and from several sources. I am thinking of getting another couple of dozen again since our scene has grown a lot, i can save about $12 per controller on shipping when buying in bulk from play asia.
the other thing i was thinking of doing was finding someone in america that i could send a bunch of controllers then they send them to me, that way i could get them when amazon has them cheap

Last edited:

SurPr15e

Smash Journeyman
If any of you guys live in Melbourne. Go to a place called Game Garage in Bayswater. It is directly near Bayswater station. Controllers there are $15 and in very good condition. They even come with grip. Memory cards are from $5-10.

Splice

Smash Hero
yo gords I would love some more controllers
ill buy one, or two if u have more left over
<3

Gords

Smash Champion
well i dont but i may soon start looking at getting more, the problem atm is i now dont have the $1000+ to get them like i did last time.
which means when i get around to looking for them i will need to get people to pay me first then i buy them

probably wont happen till May though even if it does happen.

as for my last batch they are sold out now

Last edited:

Mytus

Smash Apprentice

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
I just forked out some money recently and got 2 controllers, one brand new white one and one that was completely clear, i'm going to take off the white shell and replace it with the completely clear shell. My controllers obviously show off how unique I am.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Just play whichever one interests you more and/or fits your playstyle! If you like potentially fast and hype games where everyone picks the same 5 characters, pick Melee! If you want a mostly slow and campy game where a lot of people just pick one character, pick Brawl! Or if you like both games, pick ProjectM! Also, controllers? Ebay for most colours or just white if you buy from Amazon.

Top Bottom