• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting my Girlfriend into Melee by letting her play brawl first?

Binx

Smash Master
So, the people at my school seem to like playing brawl, and if I buy brawl again (my copy was lost somehow) I think it could be a gentle way to bring my girlfriend into smash, its a lot slower than melee and it might be a better way to teach her the basics and such, plus adventure mode is two player and not that bad.

She already likes other types of video games, RPGs, Guitar Hero, Puzzle games, but she's never had any experience with Fighters. So what do you guys think? Worth $60?

Nicole

Smash Champion
if you want her to get into melee then let her play melee. brawl has pretty different physics, and there's alot more AT's in melee that she'd probably be better learning as soon as she can instead of developing habits and then having to integrate AT's into her playstyle. just have her use link or something in melee, he's a really good first character, then she can move onto other (better) characters!

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
Hmm. I think it would be a good idea to start off with brawl. It is slower and less technical then Melee. However why not just let her play Brawl instead of just using brawl to melee? Brawl is made to be more casual then melee so I don't really see her getting into Melee if she actually ends up liking brawl.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hmm... If you start off by playing Brawl, when you try to switch to Melee, she probably won't like it. She'll probably feel like it's harder than Brawl, and won't want to play it... xD

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I dunno. Either one is good for getting into the Smash series. You could let her try both? Eventually she will like one of them more. If she chooses Brawl, you could let her get into it, and then ask her to try out Melee again.

I dunno.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's Adventure mode is definitely a great way to get a friend into Smash, but only if your objective is to goof off and joke about as much as possible (e.g. complete a section of a level only with both characters crouching, and one pushing the other via crawling). Don't hurry her into the competitive nature, let her feel or look for that on her own - if you want someone to get connected to Smash, they must first enjoy Smash. Fight with items on if she wants to see, don't rush all the techniques or mindgames down her throat in the one sitting (or even in the first twelve sittings).

Whether she'll want to follow into Melee or not is solely her call. Feel free to make the case, but be ready to respect whatever decision she makes.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If your trying to get her into Melee, just give her Melee.
Thats it.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Hmm... If you start off by playing Brawl, when you try to switch to Melee, she probably won't like it. She'll probably feel like it's harder than Brawl, and won't want to play it... xD
exactly, one or the other lol.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
for true. Listen to this guy. We are among wolves that just want your gf playing Brawl.

Lovely

Smash Lord
If your trying to get her into Melee, just give her Melee.
Thats it.
This is the best advice because if you stick to a newer game, you won't turn back to an older one. ♥

My thought's, does she like the characters in Melee? Or do she like the characters in Brawl? Some people can say that Melee's too short for characters and extra features that Brawl has over it. ♥

Fletch

Smash Master
Not worth it. Brawl teaches bad habits and will baby her too much, unless she's uber-competitive, she'll probably just want to stick to Brawl where she can obviously compete much easier. So just give her some Melee, and save the $60 for a good game (RE5 is coming out soon...)

Tokipin

Smash Rookie
you seem to be under the impression that she will want to waste tons of time trying to play competitively

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Well...since we have no good impression on how she is in terms of competitiveness I'd say let her try brawl (and it would help to say who she uses and how her style is).

A possible out-come from that is that she'll tell you that brawl doesn't satisfy her anymore and wants more variation in her smash...WHICH THEN FALCON WILL KICK DOWN YOUR DOOR/WALL/ADJACENT BUILDING(?) and present melee which makes her swoon and demand smash daily.

Well...that is a possibility anyway

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
im doing the same thing for my mom, get her into brawl (she still cant grasp how to use up+b, she ends up just using neutral b) then get her into mellee

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Seeing as Brawl has more characters who aren't in Melee, if she got used to playing as Dedede, then she may have trouble finding a replacement for him in Melee.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh great, another Brawl bash thread. I hate you guys. -_-;

Anyways, you unless you force her, if she plays Brawl then later play Melee, there's a 36% chance that she will stick to a newer game. So make her play Brawl first, will make her stick with Brawl.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
LRN2HOMEBREW

Get homebrew and download brawl then burn it, there you save $60

I have a feeling this is a "let me find a way to tell SWF I have a girlfriend"

Top Bottom